The unexpected

Our EXOtic Life

My ears didn't decieve me, the Korean version of EXO's debut song "MAMA" blasted through the square.

 

I jabbed Nyika in the side with my elbow and pointed to the stage where some people were starting to crowd.

 

(Would EXO really be here?!) I thought. NOPE. Sadly they were probably doing some idol stuff back in Korea or China. *sigh*

 

A guy probably in his early 30's stepped onto the stage and spoke into his mic in Korean.

 

"Do we have any EXO fans out there?" Nyika and I exchanged a glance and proceedd to scream our guts out along with a bajillion other fangirls in the crowd.

 

Pleased with the response the MC spoke again "Then do we have any volunteers to try and impress our talent scouts from SM Entertainment?"

 

The yelling intensified and Nyika shot me a look that said "HELP!" As she was being crushed into the crowd.

 

 

(! I forgot she was claustophobic!) I grabbed Nyika's arm and tried to yank her away from the mass of people but we were pushed up against the stage trapped like rats.

 

 

Then I felt myself being pulled up onstage by the MC, along with Nyika who was clutching onto my arm with wild eyes. "I guess we have our volunteers." A round of applause came from the crowd.

 

 

"And your names are..?" he asked giving me the mic. "F-Faith" I managed to choke out "And th=thi-this is Nyika" I said gesturing to my now silent friend.

 

He ushered us to the middle of the stage. I looked to my right and saw the judges at their table. I looked to my left at Nyika who seemed to have calmed down. She gave me a *what the hell why not* kind of look. I nodded in agreement.

 

 

The music re-stareted and we danced for our lives. If we became trainees we could meet EXO! We were perfectly in synch and didn't make a single mistake. After watching the video a billion times how could we?

 

 

My heart jumped when the song was over and the judges gawked at us. Nyika shifted nervously beside me. 

 

 

The woman sitting the closest to us got up and handed us each a small bunch of forms stapled together.

 

 

The MC cheered and said "Who could say no to a performance like that?! Congradualtions Nyika and Faith!" 

 

 

The crowd applauded and we were taken offstage when one of the SM employees talked to us about the audition to become a trainee. 

 

 

I was in too much of a haze to know what happened next. I went home and explained everything to my mother.

 

She wasn't fully onboard with the whole "moving to Korea" thing but then I told her that SM would pay for my university and she was really happy!

 

She had one condition though, if I wasn't put into a group in 1 year I would have to come back to Toronto to live with her again. 

 

I begged for more time but then I had to agree in the end. I prayed that I didn't have a lot of competition in the future.

 

Nyika's family seemed WAY more supportive of her folloeing her dreams, she even got money for buying new stuff to live in Seoul.

 

(One year) I thoguht (One year to make all my dreams come true.....how hard could that be?) 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

 

I had no idea.