Together You and Me

Together You and Me

 

Chapter 29 “We just have to”

 

                Knowing that Kazumi had not sent any reply regarding her birthday, Miki thought of going home to her province. Moreover, during the enrollment for summer term Miki and Ryn found out that they won’t be able to enroll for summer term because they both failed the same subject. They went to tell Kazumi and she also felt bad that she would be going up the next level without them. Talk about not having Miki around to JUMP with and also not having Kazumi around to JUMP with.

 

                Kazumi then asked what their plans will be. Ryn will be going home to her province and spend her summer there since anyway, her parents were able to accept the fact that she is unable to enroll. But for Miki, she was having trouble with her parents because it was difficult for them to accept her failure.

 

“I don’t know what I’ll do this summer. Mom will probably tell me to go home and help out around the house and store instead of just hanging around here. Anyway, don’t worry, I’ll do my best to send you updates and stuff about JUMP,” Miki comprehended.

 

After their conversation, Ryn left first so she could go pack her things and return home. As for Miki, she stayed and waited for Kazumi to finish her enrollment. They left the school a little later since Kazumi thought that she would pay the next day instead since the queue to the Accounting Office was very long.

 

                They headed to the mall since Miki wanted to check if they had the new CD of Kis-My-Ft2. They went to the different music stores but were unlucky.

                They went to the Bookstore next since Kazumi was looking for a book. She wasn’t able to find it so they left the mall and thought of going to the DVD Shop to buy some dramas or Anime to watch. Just as they arrived at the place, they found out that the store didn’t have any DVDs on display. They checked the other shops at Session Road but they were in the same situation.

 

                Because of this, Kazumi and Miki decided to call it a day so they parted ways at an overpass.

 

                Miki took a bus home two days after her last encounter with Kazumi.

She arrived at her province and during her stay there, most of the things she did were doing household chores in the morning then using the computer in the evening.

                Soon after, April had arrived. On April 1, she posted a birthday greeting on her Facebook account for Keito’s birthday. On April 6, she did the same for Ryutaro’s birthday. But other than remembering theirs, she also thought about hers.

                One afternoon, she went to their living room and saw that her mother and a friend of hers were there. She sat on the sofa and began, “It’s the month of April and in a few days, arrives a special date.”

                Her mother’s friend asked, “What is the special date?”

“The 13th,” Miki replied.

                “And what happens on that day?”

“It’s her birthday,” her mother added.

                “Oh, I see. Wow, Happy Birthday to you!”

“So mom, how are we going to celebrate it? We’re celebrating it right?” Miki asked with a big smile.

Her mother’s friend was listening when she suddenly interrupted saying, “Wait, don’t we have a 3-day mountain trekking from 13-15?”

“Yes, I forgot.” Her mother answered.

Hearing this, Miki whined, “What?! You’re going trekking on my birthday? No. How about my birthday? I’m turning 18.”

                They listened to her as she complained and her mother’s friend stated, “Aw, how about her birthday? That’s too bad. She’s turning 18. You should have your debut.”

But her mother answered, “No, there’s no need. Don’t worry about your birthday. Let’s celebrate it some other day.”

                “But mom, I don’t want to celebrate it on a different day. That’s happened in the past but not now. Please! Even though I don’t have a debut, at least we should celebrate it. Or just bake a birthday cake for my birthday before you go.”

Despite her whining, her mother still took into account their upcoming trekking on the 13th.

 

                Miki left them and went downstairs to the kitchen where she saw her dad. She sat on the chair looking all glum as she continued to mumble about the matter.

Then her father asked, “Why, what’s wrong?”

                “Mom said that we won’t be celebrating my birthday.”

“Why? How come we’re not celebrating it?”

                “That’s because she will be going on a 3-day mountain trekking with her friend.”

“Then let’s celebrate it when she comes back.” Her father told her.

                “Eh, I don’t want to. I want to celebrate it on that day. Alright then, if she’s going to that mountain trekking, then we’ll have to celebrate it without her and onii chan. And I’ll also be the one to bake my own birthday cake. Surely it’s no biggie.”

“You should wait for your mother to...”

                “She already made up her mind in missing my birthday. As for me, I’ve made up my mind also.” Miki argued.

 

The following day, Miki suddenly remembered. She didn’t know the schedule of their Annual Medical Check-up at the University. She tried texting her contacts but somehow, none of them were able to reply. Because of this, she thought of travelling to the city to check the schedule. She told her parents about it but her mother disagreed for her to go because no one would be left to help in doing the household work.

Miki tried her best until she was finally able to convince her mother.

                “Alright, fine. You’ll accompany me in travelling to the city this coming 11th of April. I’m sure that that won’t take very long or take how many days so, as soon as you finish checking your schedule, immediately return home.” Her mother instructed her.

“I will. I’ll come home immediately after my business there is done.” Miki tried to assure her.

                So Miki travelled to the city with her mother on the said date. She then went to check on the schedule of their Annual Medical check up the following day. As for her mother, she was busy preparing for their 3-day trekking.