Together You and Me

Together You and Me

 

Chapter 17 “I’m here for you”

                Earlier the next day, Inoo was on his way to the living room. It was unusual that he didn’t see Miki since she was always there early in the morning. He wondered about it and thought that she probably got tired from last night. So he went upstairs to see her. He knocked on the door several times but no one opened the door. He tried to turn the knob but it was locked. He then started to get worried. He brought out his phone and tried to call Miki but no one picked up the phone. Once again, he started to knock on the door.

                Yuto woke up early because he wasn’t able to sleep after last night’s event. So he immediately got up, took a bath and changed. After that, he thought of talking to Miki one more time, hoping that she would listen to him. So he left and headed to Miki’s room.

                After several knocks on the door and calling out Miki’s name, someone slightly opened the door. Inoo wondered why the door didn’t open completely and someone spoke, “Kei, is that you?”

Inoo: “Miki? Yes, it’s me. Is anything wrong?”

Just after his statement, Miki opened the door, stepped outside and hugged Inoo tightly.

On the other hand, Yuto who had just made a turn from the other hallway saw this at a distance.

Inoo: “Mi... Miki? Why, what’s wrong?”

Miki: “Kei, I wasn’t able to sleep because I can’t stop thinking about it! I can’t stop crying also because it hurts so much! There’s no one else whom I can think of running to but you.”

 

Inoo had an idea of what happened so he hugged her and said, “Don’t worry. I’m here. You can stop crying now.”

Then, Inoo let go of her, brought out a handkerchief and began wiping her tears.

Miki slowly calmed down and said, “Thank you.”

 

Then she told him to come inside the room with her. Just as Inoo was going to step inside, he noticed Yuto who was looking at them the whole time.

The door closed and Yuto thought that there’s no way for him to talk to her in this situation so he left.

After arriving inside, Inoo sat on one chair while Miki sat on the other.

Inoo: “What happened last night?”

Miki was wiping her tears using Inoo’s handkerchief then she replied, “Yuto likes someone else.”

Inoo knew that Yuto liked Miki but why was Miki saying that Yuto liked someone else. So he asked who she was.

Miki: “He asked me if I could talk to him for a bit and I said that it was alright. He took me to corner in the room and told me that he liked Kazumi. I was shocked with what he said but I did my best to hide my emotions. I congratulated him and told him to go after her before someone else will and he did. He asked her to dance and that was probably the time that he told her about his feelings. After the dance Yuto tried to talk to me but I didn’t pay attention. Same goes for Kazumi. She was probably excited to tell me that Yuto confessed to her but I told her that I didn’t want to listen anymore so I ran back to my room. I wanted to come back to the party to look for you but I didn’t want to see either of the two.”

After knowing this, he felt bad about what happened to Miki and began to think of how he would cheer her up. But before that he asked, “So what are you going to do now? Do you plan on talking to them the next time around?”

Miki: “I don’t want to. I don’t care about them. They’re happy so I’ll leave them be. I don’t want to waste my time thinking about it. And also, I was also thinking of going back home since I don’t want to see or talk to Yuto.”

Inoo: “Is that so? Well, I am not able to think of anything that will change your mind about leaving the hotel so I’ll let you do what you want.”

Miki: “Thanks so much for understanding Kei.”

Inoo: “So, when do you plan on leaving?”

Miki: “This afternoon perhaps.”

Inoo: “If that is your decision, then it is fine by me. And if you want, I will accompany you in returning home.”

Miki: “Thanks so much Kei. I really appreciate your help. Don’t worry; I’ll still come visit you and the others here at the Manor hotel.”

Inoo: “Since it’s still early in the morning, why won’t you get changed and we’ll have some fun.”

Miki: “Well, I guess since it’s my last stay here, sure... Let’s do something fun before I leave for home.”

Inoo: “Alright then, I’ll wait for you in the living room.” *walks towards the door*

Miki: “Kei, wait. Please don’t tell anyone what my problem is or why I plan on returning home.”

Inoo: “Don’t worry, I won’t.”

                So Inoo went down to wait for Miki.

In the living room, Yuto was seated on the sofa as he continued to think of how he will settle things with Miki. Then as Inoo entered the living room, Yuto looked at him and asked, “What happened to Miki? Why was she crying?”

 

Inoo sat down on the chair and replied, “Nothing.”

Yuto: “You can’t say that it’s nothing. Something’s wrong with her? Come on, you’ve got to tell me.”

 

                After what Yuto had done to make Miki sad, Inoo didn’t want to tell him anything. His temper had slightly elevated and he answered, “Whatever happened to Miki is none of your concern anymore. She doesn’t want me to tell anyone about it most especially you. And if you think that you still care about her then don’t try to approach her ever again.”

                After what Inoo said, Yuto fell silent and sat back on the sofa.

 

Inoo: “And by the way, she’s going to back home.”

Yuto: “Ha? Why? You’ve got to tell her to stay.”

Inoo: “I disagree. She has her own reasons for leaving and I’m supporting her for that.”

Yuto: “Then, when is she leaving?”

Inoo: “This afternoon.”

Yuto: “Okay, I’ll take her home. I still have some things to talk to her about.”

 

Inoo: “That won’t be possible because she agreed that I will be the one to take her home.”

Yuto: “Come on Inoo, please.”

Inoo: “Even if I allow you, she’ll only say that she doesn’t want to. And for this morning, I’m going to cheer her up before she goes home. And if it’s possible, I don’t want you to get involved in it.”

                Soon after, the door opened and Miki was prepared to go out. Yuto saw that her eyes were all red and that she wasn’t able to sleep also. Despite that, she was smiling.

Inoo stood up and walked towards her.

Miki: “I’m ready to go Kei.”

Inoo: “Okay then, there’s a really beautiful place that I wanted to show you. Would you like to go there?”

Miki: “Since it’s a surprise, then surely, I’d be happy. By the way, can we go watch a movie together after that?”

Inoo: “If it will cheer you up, then I’m fine with it.”

Miki: “Thanks so much Kei!”

                So the two of them left and Yuto was left sitting on the sofa. He couldn’t believe that Miki didn’t even dare look or notice his presence. Yuto thought that he won’t be able to see her after she leaves the hotel, so he thought of following the two to where they were going to.

                After getting out of the hotel, the two walked to the place that Inoo was talking about. Yuto then secretly followed them.

“The Butterfly Sanctuary” said the overhead sign as Miki looked up at the entrance.

Miki: “Oh, so this is the place that you were talking about.”

Inoo: “Don’t you like it?”

Miki: “mMMm... I totally like it.”

Inoo: “Other than the butterflies, there are a lot of flowers here too. It’s really nice inside so I thought of taking you here.”

Miki: “Aww. That’s so sweet of you. Let’s go inside then. I want to see everything with my own eyes.”

                As the two were checking out the place, Yuto was watching them from behind. Miki and Inoo sat on a bench and were conversing with each other.

Miki: “So, what are your plans on New Year’s Eve?”

Inoo: “I’m not very sure yet, but the group will probably be having another party.”

Miki: “Wow, that’d be great.”

Inoo: “If the idea will push through, then I’ll invite you.”

Miki: “I’d be really happy to come! Thanks.”

After hearing this, Yuto thought of another idea. The idea of a Countdown party had to push through. That way, he will still have a chance to talk to Miki.

Inoo: “So, we were able to go around the place. Do you want to go watch a movie next?”

Miki: “I agree. This place is really beautiful. I didn’t know that there was a place like this here. Since there is still a lot of time, sure, let’s watch a movie now.”

                The two left the Butterfly garden with Yuto following them. They arrived at the mall and had just finished buying tickets and buying popcorn. Just as the two entered the cinema and was able to get seats, Yuto sat a few rows behind them.

During the movie, Miki asked Inoo, “Can I lean on your shoulders?”

Inoo: “You don’t have to ask. If you need someone to lean on, I’m always here. But then again, sure, you can lean on my shoulders anytime you want.”

Miki: “Every time I’m with you, I’m always happy.”

Inoo: “I’m glad to hear that.”

                Yuto heard this and felt miserable. It’s because when he spends time with her, she becomes happy, but then again, they always argue with one another. And every time that happens, Miki always gets sad.

                After the movie:

Inoo: “Did you enjoy the movie?”

Miki: “I did. It was really amazing. I have you to thank for because you’re always there to cheer me up.”

Inoo held up her chin so that she looked at him closely: “Just as I said, if you need someone to lean on, I’m always here. So don’t worry about it.”

Miki’s eyes widened so Inoo immediately let go.

Inoo: “So, how about we get something to eat since you skipped breakfast this morning.”

Miki nodded at his statement.

 

The two of them were eating at the food court and just like what happened before with Yuto:

 

Inoo: “Okay, say *ah*.”

Miki: “No I don’t like that.”

Inoo: “You still haven’t tasted it so you can’t say that you don’t like It.*ah*.”

Miki: “Okay fine.*ah*.”

                After tasting what Inoo offered her, she did the same to Inoo.

Inoo: “No way. I’m not going to taste that.”

Miki: *laughs*“Oh come on. You won’t know what it tastes like until you try it.”

Inoo: “Fine. We’re even after this.”

                So Inoo also accepted the food that Miki offered to him.

After lunch, it began to rain hard. Inoo and Miki were standing outside the Mall’s exit and standing a few feet away from them is Yuto. No matter where they went, he was still there watching Miki.

Miki: “Oh no! Why did it have to rain today?”

Inoo: “It’s because the clouds are crying tears of joy.”

Miki: “How could you say so?”

Inoo: “Because somehow, a girl who was just crying early in the morning is now happily smiling.”

 

Miki’s face began to blush then she replied, “And the person you are pertaining to is me?”

 

Inoo: “Probably.”

Miki: “Well, I hope that the clouds don’t stop crying then. I mean they should cry more.”

Inoo: “Hey, no way. Then we won’t be able to return to the hotel.”

Miki: “Well at least we’re together and standing under the shade right?”

Inoo: “So I see. You really have forgotten about your problem.”

Miki: “Aww... You ruined the special moment.”

Inoo: “Oh. I’m sorry.”

Miki: “Just joking. So how are we going to return to the hotel?”

Inoo: “Let’s get a taxi.”

 

So the two of them rode a taxi and returned to the hotel. But unfortunately, the taxi wasn’t able to get inside the hotel’s grounds so the two were faced with another problem.

 

Miki: “This is bad, how are we going to get to the hotel now.”

Inoo removed his jacket and placed over Miki’s head.

Miki: “Huh? What are you doing?”

Inoo: “Take my hand.”

Miki: “Why?”

Inoo: We’ll run together.”

Miki: “Are you kidding? We’ll get sick even though you gave me your jacket.”

Inoo: “Don’t worry about me. But if you get sick, then I’ll nurse you back to health.”

                Miki wasn’t able to say anything as she held Inoo’s hand. Inoo opened the door and soon after, Miki found herself running with Inoo towards the entrance under the heavy rain. Yuto on the other hand had an umbrella on him so he walked.

 

As the two arrived at the entrance, the both of them were soaking wet. Inoo was still holding onto Miki’s hand and he turned to her.

Inoo: “Miki, are you okay?”

Miki quickly rushed and embraced Inoo once again. Inoo’s jacket fell off her head and she spoke, “Kei, I don’t know what to say. I don’t know what I’d do without you. Not only have you helped me, but you’re always right beside me when I’m happy and when I’m down. I’m really lucky to have you but most especially, the girl you like is most fortunate to have a guy like you. Thank you so much for looking after me.”

 

Inoo: “You’re an important person to me so no matter what, I’ll take care of you.”

Tears began to roll down Miki’s cheeks but Inoo wiped them for her.

Inoo: “As long as you’re with me, you’ll always smile so don’t cry anymore.”

 

                Yuto was at the foot of the stairs and he heard every word. Miki saw him and she quickly let go of Inoo.

Inoo: “So Miki, you should get back inside. I wouldn’t want you to catch a cold. You go and change first before I take you back home.”

                As soon as Miki left, Yuto walked up the stairs and told Inoo, “What was that all about?”

Inoo: “You followed us didn’t you?”

Yuto: “That doesn’t matter. I wanted to see her no matter what just before she leaves the Hotel. Now tell me, what was that talk about?”

Inoo: “It’s none of your business.”

Yuto: “No, it is also my business. Every time you ask me questions about her I always answer back but when it’s my turn to ask you, you don’t even tell me anything. I’ve always known what was happening ever since I met her here and you’re not the only one who cares about her!”

Inoo: “Then if you care about her so much, then why did you hurt her?! Also, I was always the one there for her when she was sad because of you. I was always able to notice if she was having problems. And not only that, I was the one who pushed her to sort out problems with you. The reason why I tell her to do so is because I don’t want to see her having problems and I want her to keep smiling. Those were all for her and not so she will just make up with you. I might not be able to be with her all the time but at least I know what’s happening. And if you think you know what’s happening here, then there’s no need to discuss it. She doesn’t want to talk or see you. The person she needs most right now is me and no one else.”

 

After his statement, Inoo was going to go inside when he added, “I’m going to support her decisions no matter what. If you want to sort things out with her, you’ll have to do it on your own because I’m not helping you.”

 

After the door closed, Yuto just stood there dumbstruck. He didn’t know what to say and what he was supposed to do next. Then he left and went to the living room where he saw the other members.

                Miki had just finished getting ready and so she walked downstairs to meet Inoo at the usual place.

Inoo was standing in front of the living room entrance when she met Miki.

 

Inoo: “Are you ready to go?”

Miki: “Yup. I am. All I have to do is tell the others about it.”

Inoo: “Okay then. Here, let me carry your bags for you.”

Miki: “Don’t worry, it won’t be long.”

 

Inside the living room:

Miki: “Uhm... Hey guys...”

Hikaru: “Hi Miki, what’s up? Are you going somewhere?”

Miki: “Yeah. Actually, I’m going back home today.”

Chinen: “Huh? How come? Don’t you want to stay with us anymore?”

Miki: “No Chinen, it’s not that. I mean, I really had a lot of fun staying here with you guys but, I really can’t stay here for very long.”

Keito: “Why is something wrong?”

Miki: “No. No. Nothing’s wrong.”

Daiki: “Then why don’t you want to stay?”

Miki: “I just think that I’ve got to conquer my fear of living alone at home. That’s all. But don’t worry, I’ll still come visit you guys.”

Yabu, Takaki: “Okay then. You take care of yourself.”

Miki: “I don’t know how to thank you all. I mean, I already have two brothers but still, you’re just like brothers to me. Thanks so much for everything!”

Yamada: “You’re welcome Miki. We hope to see you again. ”

Miki: “This isn’t good bye so, See you all later!”

 

                Just as she finished her statement, she had a last glance at Yuto then turned around and re-joined Inoo who was waiting at the door.

 

At the end of the day, Yuto was on his bed strumming on the guitar while he continued to reminisce the fun times that he had spent with Miki.

Reminiscing all their times together made him remember a song so he started singing the song "Stay Close Don't Go" by Secondhand Serenade