Together You and Me

Together You and Me

 

Chapter 14 “Beat and Rhythm”

            In the evening of Dec 21, Miki called Yuto.

Yuto: “Hi, Yuto here! What’s up?”

Miki: “Hi, Yuto! Uhm... I wanted to ask you something.”

Yuto: “Sure. What do you want to ask?”

Miki: “Well, as you can see, my brother and my dad went home to the province to spend Christmas and New Year there. So, I’m all alone at home.”

                Yuto didn’t know how he would respond so he said, “Uhm... You want me to come over then?”

Miki: “Huh?! No. No. I didn’t mean it that way. I was thinking if I can come and stay there at the hotel for a bit. I wanted to ask you and the others about it.”

Yuto: “Ah, okay. Sorry. I’ll go ask them then I’ll call you back afterwards.”

Miki: “Oh okay then. Thanks! Bye!”

                Yuto ended the call and went to tell the others about Miki’s story and ask them if they’re okay with the idea of Miki coming over to stay for a while. The others liked the idea so they agreed. Soon after, Yuto called Miki and told her that he’ll be coming to pick her up. Miki was so glad because they allowed her to stay with them for the mean time. So after the call, she packed her things and waited until Yuto arrived to pick her up. By the time they reached the hotel, the others were at the door to welcome her.

Miki thanked them so much and they said that it was fine. At the living room:

Daiki: “Miki, aren’t you used to staying alone at home from time to time?”

Miki: “Actually, I’m okay with staying at home alone, but I still get scared.”

Daiki: “Oh, okay. Well, since the situation can be lonely, it’s alright with us for you to stay here.”

Miki: “Thanks so much everyone for allowing me to stay here!”

Hikaru: “That’s okay. Uhm... By the way, guys, where will she be sleeping?”

                The members looked at one another and thought that they totally forgot to set where she will be sleeping.

Yuto: “Uhm... Well, you can share the room with me.”

Yamada: “Wait a second Yuto. That can’t be since there is only one bed.”

Daiki raised his hand and said, “Miki, you can stay in my room. Anyway, there are two beds so it won’t be a problem.”

Chinen: “Well, even though there are two beds. I still think that it wouldn’t be a good idea.”

Keito: “I’ll have to agree with Chinen.”

                Then, Inoo stood up and said, “I know how to solve this problem. Miki, you stay in my room...”

Yuto: “Hey, wait! Didn’t Yamada just say that it can’t be since you only have one bed in your room too?”

Inoo: “Relax Yuto, I’m not done with my statement yet. What I’m trying to say is that Miki will sleep in my room and I’ll transfer to Daiki’s room.”

Takaki: “Well, that is a good idea.”

Yabu: “That wraps up everything then. Miki, you take Inoo’s room and Inoo will go sleep in Daiki’s room.”

Inoo approached Miki and said, “Shall we?” while he showed her the way.

“Thank you!” replied Miki. Then she looked back at Yuto and told him, “Yuto, do you want to come?”

Yuto: “Nah. You guys go ahead.”

Miki: “Are you sure?”

Yuto: “No, really. You guys go ahead.”

Miki: “Oh, okay. I’ll see you later then.”

                As the two arrived, Inoo opened the door. The bedroom was wide and very spacious.

Miki: “Wow! Your room is really just... Wow!  It’s so wide. There’s the television, a small sitting area, and a really comfy bed. Is your room similar with Yuto?”

Inoo: “Sort of.”

Miki: “I’m speechless. The rooms here are really beautiful.”

Inoo: “Well, this will be your room for the time being so enjoy! I’ll just take out my clothes from the closet then you can put yours.”

Miki: “Thanks so much for letting me stay in your room.”

Inoo: “You’re Welcome! So, I’ll just take these to Daiki’s room. You make yourself at home.”

Miki: “Okay.”

                As Inoo left, Miki excitedly fell flat on the bed. It felt relaxing and comfy that she started to fall asleep. But she remembered she wanted to see what Yuto’s bedroom looked like. So she jumped off the bed, changed her clothes and went to look for Yuto’s room.

As she was walking in the hallway, she ran into Kei who just got out of Daiki's room.

Inoo: “Oh, hi Miki! Where are you going?”

Miki: “Kei! Uhm... Hi! I was just... exploring.” *smiles*

Inoo looked at his time and said, “At this time? It’s already getting late. You should go to bed already. You can explore the place better when you’re all rested.”

Miki: “I guess you’re right. So, then, I’ll go already. He... he.... Hehe” *smiles*

As Miki left, Inoo was looking at her while thinking of why she was exploring at this time.

Miki arrived in her room and locked the door behind her.

*Sigh* “I wasn’t able to peek into Yuto’s room because Kei saw me. I’ll have to look next thing tomorrow morning.”

After that, she climbed up Inoo bed and slept.

5:30 am in the morning....

*Tit tit! Tit tit! Tit tit!* went Miki’s alarm. She turned it off and quickly jumped off the bed. She opened the closet where she left her clothes and started to look for what she’ll wear. After that she entered the bathroom, took a bath then brushed her teeth. When she went out the bathroom, she brought out her stuff and started to comb her hair. It was 6:10; she was finally ready so she left Inoo’s room. She started to look around once again when she bumped into Yamada.

Yamada: “Oh hey Miki! Good Morning!”

Miki: “Hi Yamada, good morning to you too!”

Yamada: “You’re early today. Where are you going?”

Miki: “Nowhere. I’m just looking around. How about you? You’re early as well.”

Yamada: “Oh no. I usually wake up early. *smiles*”

Miki: “Oh, okay. Sorry. I thought you were going somewhere too.”

They fell silent for a bit when Yamada said that he’ll be going first. Miki said sure but by the time Yamada was a few meters away, she called out his name.

 

Miki: “Yamada wait! I wanted to ask you something.”

She approached him and said, “Do you know where Yuto’s room is?”

Yamada: “Oh, I’m going to pass by there to where I’m going. Come with me and I’ll show you.”

Miki: “Thanks so much!”

                So the two walked together and soon they arrived in front of Yuto’s room.

Yamada: “Here’s his room. At this time, he’s still asleep.”

Miki: “Oh, really? Well, thanks again Yamada!”

Yamada: “I’ll be going then. See you later!”

Miki: “See you later! Take care!”

After Yamada left, Miki looked around and then, slowly turned the doorknob. It wasn’t locked so she opened the door and went inside.

Miki said in a quiet voice, “Wow! It’s just as Kei said, Yuto’s room is just like his. It’s so wide and spacious too.”

She slowly walked around and saw the small sitting area with a small coffee table. She saw Yuto’s belongings were at the table but she didn’t dare touch them. Close to the entrance to the balcony, Miki saw Yuto’s drum set. There was another division of the room so she checked it out also. To her surprise, she saw Yuto sleeping on the bed.

Then she silently approached the head of the bed and looked at Yuto’s sleeping face.

Miki: “Kawaii! So this is what he looks like when he sleeps.”

 

7 am.

                Yuto was awoken by a sweet scent. As he slowly opened his eyes, he saw Miki whose head was resting on the edge of the bed. “Mi...Miki?”

 

His eyes widened and he was alarmed. He immediately sat up but rather he fell off the bed.

Miki heard a loud thump and when she opened her eyes she saw Yuto so she stood up at once.

Miki: “Oh no! Are you okay?!”

Yuto: “Wait! What!? What are you doing in my room?!”

Miki remembered that she snuck in his room and unexpectedly fell asleep while looking at Yuto.

Miki: “I... Uh! Uhm..! I! I’m sorry for sneaking into your room! I’m really really sorry! I only thought of checking out your room for a bit because Kei said that it was similar to his and then I would leave right after, but I unknowingly fell asleep. I... I’ll be going now!”

 

Then Miki rushed out of the room.

Yuto was so confused of what had just happened and thought that he still needs to clarify things properly.

An hour later, Miki was at the balcony drinking tea while thinking of what happened.

 

*I can’t believe that I got carried away while looking at him sleep. He’ll probably think of me as a weird person.*

She continued to feel nervous as she drank her tea when Hikaru saw her.

Hikaru: “Miki! Yuto’s looking for you.”

Miki’s anxiety level rose and felt afraid of facing Yuto after what she had just done.

Miki: “Ha? Wh... Why is he looking for me?”

Hikaru: “I don’t know why. He just went up back to his bedroom after eating breakfast. You should go see him. I think he’s got something to tell you.”

Miki: “Was he in a good mood when you saw him?”

Hikaru: “Uhm... Well, sort of.”

Miki: *Gulp* “Well, thanks for telling me. I’ll go see him right after I finish drinking my tea.”

Hikaru: “Okay then. Bye.”

Miki: “Bye.”

                A few minutes later, Miki was in front of Yuto’s door. This time, she knocked on the door. Yuto opened the door and told her to go in. After Yuto closed the door, he went to the balcony’s entrance. He stood there and Miki approached him.

Miki: “Uhm... Yuto... Why were you looking for me?”

Yuto looked at her with a serious expression then started to walk towards her.

 

Miki asked, “Wha... What’s wrong?” as she started to walk backwards. She hit the wall and Yuto came to a halt. Miki was going to move aside when Yuto blocked both ways with his arms.

 

Miki: “Yuto, you’re starting to scare me.”

                Yuto leaned closer to her and whispered on her ear, “Don’t just come into my room and scare me like that, most especially when I just woke up. It makes me really uneasy you know.”

Miki blushed and shoved him away.

Yuto: “Woah. Why’d you push me?”

Miki: “D... D... Don’t go saying that so suddenly. You’ve got some nerve to go saying those after what I’ve done.”

Yuto laughed and said, “Is that what you’re going to say after I forgave you for what you’ve done.”

Miki: “Y... Yes... Why not? What you said was so unnecessary you know. I also felt uneasy after what you just did.”

Yuto came up to her and said, “That makes us even then.”

Miki gave him a slight punch and said, “Ha! You’ve got to be kidding me!”

Yuto: “Haha! You should’ve seen your face! It was totally like my reaction.”

Miki crossed her hands and bit her lip. Then Yuto pinched her nose and said, “Hahaha. You’re really cute when you’re nervous.”

 

Miki: “Stop it!”

Yuto was shocked and asked what her problem was.

Miki: “Cut it out with the compliments. I’m not really comfortable with it.”

Yuto: “What? Why? Don’t you like compliments?”

Miki: “It’s not that. I just don’t feel comfortable about it.”

 

Yuto: “Why? Was there someone who had given you a compliment like mine before?”

Miki: “Yes. There’s one.”

Yuto: “Really!? Then I’m not the first?”

Miki: “Yes. You’re not the first guy.”

 

Yuto: “What did he say?”

Miki: “That matter doesn’t concern you.”

Yuto: “Do you like that guy?”

Miki: “I used to like him before. But during the time that he gave me a compliment, I didn’t have feelings for him already. You can say that it was late. But still, I think of him from time to time.”

Yuto felt a piercing feeling in his heart after she heard those words.

Yuto: “You still like him then? Even though you said that you don’t have feelings for him.”

Miki: *sigh* “Enough. I don’t want to talk about it. That’s not important now.”

Miki thought of changing the subject so she quickly looked around the room.

Miki: “Yuto, can I watch you play the drums?”

Yuto: “Huh? Me? Why’d you want me to play the drums?”

Miki: “Well, I wanted to watch the real thing. I already saw Kei play the piano and he was so amazing.”

Yuto felt jealous so he told her that he’ll play. He got his drum sticks and started to play the drums. Miki watched with astonishment and excitement. After a few minutes of playing drums, Yuto stopped and Miki was clapping her hands.

Miki: “Huwaaa!!! Sugoii!!! Just like Kei, you’re really amazing! I’m so glad I was able to see you play this close.”

Yuto: “I’m glad you had fun watching. By the way, what instruments do you play?”

Miki: “I don’t really know any.”

Yuto: “But what instruments do you want to play?”

Miki: “Guitar, Piano and the drums. I missed every opportunity that I had so now I envy those who can play.”

Yuto: “That’s too bad..... Uhm Hey, Come here.”

Miki walked towards him then Yuto held out his hand and told her to sit down on the chair.

Miki: “Hmm. What?”

Yuto stood up and said, “Come on. Sit down. Since there’s nothing to do today and we’re here, I’m giving you the chance to be taught by me.”

Miki: “Are you serious?! No way!”

Yuto: “I’m serious.” Then he handed his drum sticks to her.

Miki: “But... But... I’m not a quick learner.”

Yuto: “It doesn’t matter. As long as you’re doing your best to learn then that’s great already. Just feel and listen to the beat and the rhythm.”

                So for the rest of the morning, Yuto spent his time teaching Miki on playing the drums. Miki on the other hand, was having fun while Yuto was teaching her.

                It was now 11:30 am and it’s almost lunch time. So Yuto ended teaching Miki on how to play the drums.

*Knock* *Knock* *Knock*

Yuto heard someone knocking on the door and told the person to come in. When the person entered, they saw that it was Takaki.

Takaki: “So I see the two of you are here. We’ve been looking for you guys.”

Yuto: “How come?”

Takaki: “Because it’s almost lunch time. We thought you guys went out or something.”

Yuto: “I was teaching Miki on how to play the drums. We had just finished and were about to leave to come see you guys.”

Takaki: “Oh, I see. Then, I’ll go ahead and tell the others.”

Yuto: “Oh okay. We’ll just fix these and go downstairs.”

After fixing everything, the two went down to meet the others. Then after lunch, Yuto asked Yabu if he can borrow his acoustic guitar.

Yabu said okay so Yuto went to Yabu’s room to get the guitar. He went back to the living room and called Miki.

Keito: “Where are you two going?”

Yuto: “Nowhere. If you guys need something, we’ll be upstairs.”

Keito: “Okay.”

                After they got in Yuto’s room, Yuto handed the guitar to Miki and told her to wait at the balcony. Yuto got two chairs and brought it to the balcony.

Yuto: “Here, sit down. It’s time for me to teach you how to play the guitar.”

Miki: “Ha? You’re going to teach guitar now?”

Yuto: “You did say that you wanted to learn how to play the guitar right?”

Miki: “Are you sure? It’s a lot difficult teaching me how to play the guitar than teaching me how to play the drums.”

Yuto: “I told you, don’t worry about it.”

During the first two hours, Miki was having a very hard time in learning but still, Yuto was patient in teaching her. Then at the third hour, Yuto was teaching her on strumming.

Yuto transferred and sat behind her then started guiding her while she was practicing. With each mistake that she makes, Yuto was always there to correct her, but at the same time, he continued to encourage her.  It was now 4: 30 pm and the two ended the session. Miki turned her head to the left and thanked Yuto for teaching her how to play the drums and guitar.

Yuto looked at her, smiled and said: “Even though it was only for a day, I hope I was able to help you learn about how to play the guitar and the drums but with the piano, you should probably ask Inoo about it since that’s his forte.”

Miki: “You totally helped me a lot. So, I’m happy already. Thanks again.”

After Miki thanked him, Yuto suddenly felt an awkward feeling so he let go of the guitar and stood up.

Yuto scratched his head and said, “Uhm... So, since we’re done here, and surely you’re already tired, why won’t we go downstairs and have a snack.”

Miki: “No, I’m okay. Don’t worry.”

 

The others were still busy talking, so after eating Miki excused herself from the dining table and went to sit at the hotel’s stairs at the entrance. After a while, the door opened and Yabu came out the door.

Yabu: “Hi! What are you doing here?”

Miki: “Mmm... Nothing... I’m just here to get some fresh air after eating.”

Yabu: “I see. So, how’d things go with Yuto?”

Miki: “What do you mean?”

Yabu: “Well, he borrowed my acoustic guitar a while ago but he didn’t tell me why he borrowed it.”

Miki: “Oh, that. Actually, he borrowed it so he can teach me how to play the guitar. Before the guitar, he taught me how to play the drums.”

Yabu: “So that was his purpose. Then were you able to learn?”

Miki: “Yes. He taught me a lot. I had a lot of fun with him. Even though I was having hard time learning, he was patient about it and continued to encourage me.”

Yabu: “That’s Yuto for you. He is really a fun person to hang out with. And for him, he would always want the girl he is with, to be laughing and smiling.”

Miki: “But other than that, we argue a lot.”

Yabu: “I can say that he likes it that way. But he always does his best to make it up to that person.”

Miki: “Oh, is that so. No wonder he’s very persistent when it comes to resolving problems with someone.”

Yabu: “Yep. That’s him. He always makes sure that he sorts things out after a fight. Although don’t worry, as long as you’re with him, you’ll have lots of fun. But mind you, he can be a bit loud.”

Miki: “Yeah, I know. But somehow, I might be able to deal with it. I’m really the shy/silent type of person but being with him is okay with me.”

Yabu: “That’s great then. And by the way, it’s okay if you tell him whatever you like or dislike. He likes it better when you’re both open with each other.”

Miki: “Oh, I see. I hang out with him a lot of times so, for next time, I’ll make sure to tell him those that I like and dislike.”

Yabu: “The two of you get along well, right?”

Miki: “Yes we do, despite the fights that we have.”

Yabu: “That’s great then.”

Miki: “Huh? What’s so great about it?”

Yabu: “I mean, with everything that you’ve said, you might just be...”

Miki: “I might just be what?”

Yabu: “A good match for our little Yuto”

Miki face immediately turned red and she blurted, “Huh?!!! What?! No way! I can’t be. I’m way out of his league.”

Yabu: “No, really.”

Miki: “It can’t be. I mean... Stop joking around.”

Yabu: “Okay, okay fine.” *laughs*

Miki: “For a second there, I thought you were totally serious.”

Yabu: “Well, Yuto is like a little brother to me so I know him quite well.”

Miki: “For me, you’re also like my big brother.”

Yabu: *smiles*“If you say so, you can call me big brother if you like.”

Miki: “Really?! That’d be great! I mean, I already have two big brothers but I’m happy that I can call you as one also. I’m so happy to have another big brother!”

Yabu: “Why? Don’t you want to have a big sister?”

Miki: “I also want to have a big sister but I guess God gave me somebody else so I’m still happy.”

Yabu looked up at the sky and said, “The evening sky looks really wonderful tonight, don’t you think?” Miki gazed at the sky and said, “Wow! It really is.”

Then, Yabu got up, patted her on the head and said, “So, if you want someone to talk to, you can always come to me okay? And if Yuto tries to make you sad, you can come tell me.”

Miki: “Okay big brother! Thanks so much!”

                Just as Yabu left, Miki looked up at the sky again and quickly went back inside.

 

On the other hand, Yuto had just finished eating with the others and noticed that Miki had left first. He went to the living room and asked the other JUMP members, “Guys, have you seen Miki?”

Chinen: “Oh, I think I saw her go out to the grounds just now.”

Yuto: “Why’d she go out?”

Chinen: “I don’t know? She probably wanted some fresh air or a stroll?”

Yuto: “Ah. Okay then. Thanks Chinen!”

Just as Yuto went outside the door, he saw Miki walking with a back pack at a distance so he followed her. He found out that Miki went and sat by a tree that was a few meters from the pond. He looked at the other side of the pond and remembered the place where she hid with Inoo. He continued to walk until he reached Miki and spoke, “Hey!”

 

Miki was alarmed and looked up. “Yuto! What? How did you know I was here?”

Yuto: “I saw you walk out from the hotel so I followed you. What are you doing here?”

Miki: “Ha?! You followed me? Well... I thought of taking a short stroll when I saw that this was a good spot to sit in for a while so I came here.”

Yuto: “Oh. I see. Mind if I sit here?”

Miki: “Sure.”

 

Yuto: “Can I ask you something?”

Miki: “Sure, what is it?”

Yuto: “What do you like to do?”

Miki: “Well, that depends actually.”

Miki: “I like to listen to music all the time. I usually listen to music at full volume that’s why sometimes I have to remove my headset first when someone talks to me or asks me something. I also always bring my headset with me wherever I go. And so I have to make sure that my phone is fully charged so I am able to use it. I also love to take photographs most especially stolen shots because it’s fun. I also love to sing and I’m not much of a dancer.”

 

Yuto: “What kind of flowers do you like?”

Miki: “Red, white and yellow roses are okay. I’m not very sure what kind of flowers I like.”

Yuto: “Oh. Okay. What’s your favourite fruit?”

Miki: “Oranges. Because they sweet.”

 

Yuto: “What do you like and dislike?”

Miki: “I have a lot of likes. One is that I like to eat spicy foods and I really love vegetables. For me, it wouldn’t matter if there isn’t meat as long as there are vegetables. And I can enumerate those that I dislike. I’m not that fond of seafood but I love shrimps. I don’t like liver either. I don’t like fishy smell because it makes me nauseated. I don’t dislike Kpop but it’s just that my heart belongs to Jpop. No matter what happens. And oh, I also like Taiwanese pop too. Well, I’m fine with eating bitter foods. What I hate most are spiders. They really freak me out. My brother says that he only hears me scream when I see big spiders. Although I dislike some foods, I try my best to eat them, just like liver. I’m the type of person who stays at home or when I go out, I only stay in one place. So, for me, I want to be with someone who loves to go out and explore places.”

Yuto: “Ah, I see. Then do you like hiking and camping out?”

Miki: “I like hiking because I find it fun but I haven’t tried camping yet.”

Yuto: “So, what part of the day do you like?”

Miki: “Sunrise, Sunset, and Starry evenings because they’re always breathtaking.”

Yuto: “What do you like to do during night time?”

Miki looked up at the sky and the stars.

Miki: “During night time, I love to go to a quiet place and gaze at sky moon and stars. Not only that, the feel of the cold evening breeze as it touches my cheeks feels relaxing. It is the best way for me to forget all the stress of the day. But I’m only able to do that when I’m back at home in our province. Because when I’m there, I am able to see the stars well as it shines throughout the heavens and on earth. So usually, I get carried away and fall asleep when I do such thing.”

Yuto: “Wow. I’m speechless.”

Miki: “Ne, this time I’m going to ask.”

Yuto: “Ask what?”

Miki: “Can I rest my head on your shoulder?”

Yuto: “Ha? Sure. But you didn’t need to ask me that.”

Miki: *smiles* “Thanks. I need a little rest. I don’t really know when I’m going to wake up so can you stay with me for a while?”

Yuto: “Uh... Sure. Anyway, it’d be bad if I left you here alone.”

                Miki fell asleep and after a while, the air started to get colder. Miki unknowingly moved closer and clasped Yuto’s left arm. Yuto then noticed Miki’s back pack so he reached over his other hand to get it. He opened the bag and brought out a small red travelling blanket. So what he did was he spread the blanket over himself and Miki. Then Yuto said softly, “You look cute when you’re asleep.”

Yuto: “You didn’t really think of going out for a stroll. But instead you thought of sleeping out here so you brought some things that you’ll use. And it’s no wonder you fell asleep so easily, *looks at the sky* the night’s just like the way you described it.”