Together You and Me

Together You and Me

 

 

Chapter 23 “Command and Conquer”

 

            It was 1 pm when Inoo went out to pick up Miki. Later, they arrived at the hotel and went to see the others who were in the living room.

 

Miki: “Hello everyone!”

                They turned to look at her and were surprised to see that her hair was already tied up and she was wearing a Green camouflaged shirt and cargo pants.

Keito: “Wow, Miki! I see you’re prepared to go out and play Paintball with us.”

Hikaru: “It’s surprising to see you wear something like these.”

Inoo laughed and said: “I had the same reaction too when I went to pick her up.”

                “Although that’s the case, it does look good on you. And as you can see, you’re not the only one wearing something like that,” Yabu comprehended while pointing at Takaki and Yuto’s direction.

                Yuto was wearing a shirt similar to hers while Takaki was wearing green camouflaged cargo pants and boots.

“But that’s not all,” Inoo answered as he brought out Miki’s cap and placed it on her head.

“Where’d you get your clothes? You couldn’t have bought them yesterday right? Did you get these clothes in the military?” Yamada stated jokingly.

Miki: “Well, you’re right with one thing. I didn’t buy them yesterday. But I got these clothes a long time ago when I was still in High School. I was somehow interested in these kinds of clothes and mom was able to buy them when we went out on Sundays. As for the cap, I got it during a festival in our place. But the thing is I don’t have the shoes and jacket to complete a set.”

“You’re one girl whom I know who likes camouflage clothes,” Hikaru laughed.

Miki: “I’m not sure if I find this style cute or cool. But anyway, it’s good.”

Yabu: “Okay then. Since Miki is already here, let’s head out already.”

                In a while, they had finally arrived at the place where they will be having a Paintball Game. They paid the fee and the personnel let them in.

Keito: “Miki, do you know how to play something like this?”

“I have no idea.” Miki replied.

Keito: “If you want, you can take a short drill.”

Miki: “Sure, why not. It’d be great to be prepared just before going out there.”

                Keito related this to the others and they agreed that they would all have a practice drill. So the personnel took them to the training area and gave them the equipment they needed. After a few hours of practicing, everyone agreed that they will start the game. They divided themselves into group A and B.

                Group A composed of Yuto, Yabu, Yamada, Yuya and Yaotome. As for Group B, the members were Miki, Daiki, Yuri, Keito and Inoo.

The two groups were given a map each and they were taken separately to their own base. Just as they arrived, the two groups selected their leaders.

Group A:

Daiki: “Okay, who will be our leader?”

Chinen: “I don’t know. It depends on you guys. I suggest that Keito will be our leader.”

Keito: “Me? I don’t know. I think you’d make a better leader.”

Chinen: “Well, I may be one but we’ll need someone who knows how to plan a good strategy. How about you Inoo, do you want to be the leader?”

Inoo: “Nah, I don’t think I’m cut out for leading.”

                They continued to think of who would make a good leader when suddenly the three members shifted their gaze at Miki.

Miki: “What? Me? But I’m a girl.”

Daiki: “Sure you can. We guys can’t always be the one to lead. Surely you can too. Am I right?”

Chinen and Keito: “I think so too.”

Miki turned to Inoo and waited for him to say otherwise.

Inoo looked at her and said, “Well, you could make a good leader. Judging from what happened yesterday.”

Keito: “I agree. You were the one who was able to hit us just as the game started. And you were even the last one to get eliminated from your group.”

Miki: “What? No. I was supposed to be the one to be eliminated but Kei covered for me.”

Chinen: “That’s because he thinks that you’ll be able to finish the game. I remembered that you were fighting with Yuto about giving instructions yesterday. You mentioned that you do things your own way and it’s up to the others to follow.”

Keito: “Right. It makes sense. If you will be the one to lead, it will be up to us to follow your instructions or not. And besides, if any of us would be the leader, you might still do things your own way.”

Miki: “Can’t be. I mean, who would want to listen to instructions when you know that by the time you let your guard down then you could be eliminated from the game.”

Daiki: “... Good point.”

Chinen: “If I may ask, could your liking for clothes like that, have a history?”

Miki: “I don’t know.”

Chinen: “What part in your life have you been exposed to being linked with clothes like that?”

Miki: “Well... My brother and cousins loved to play shooting games together. I would watch them play when I hang out with them. Because I kept on watching them, they taught me how to play. Ever since that time, I had been playing with them.”

Chinen: “So you have experience with shooting games then.”

Miki: “Only in computer games and in the arcade. But in cases like this, it’s a very different story.”

Keito: “Even though. You can use the information that you know, here. Surely you can do it, right?”

Miki shook her head as she said no.

Chinen: “It’s not that different. The only difference is that, here, you’re completely part of it.”

Inoo placed his hand on over her shoulder and said, “Don’t worry. Everything’s going to be alright. I know that you’ll make a good leader. Besides, if anything happens, I’ll be right here for you. We’re a team after all.”

Miki gave out a big sigh and said, “Fine. You win. I’ll be the leader.”

 

Daiki: “Okay then. So, what’s the plan?”

Miki: “Well... Um... I’m not very good in planning a strategy of attack but I’ll try my best. You can suggest anything if you want.”

                She took a deep breath, “So, I’m thinking that we’ll split up so as to cover more ground. Keito, you go to the East. Keep an eye on what’s ahead and also on the Northwest Direction. For Chinen, you’ll head north. You’ll be the scout at the center of the field. Keep an eye on north, northwest and northeast directions. As for Daiki, take the West side. Look after what’s ahead and the Northeast Direction. Chinen will be the one staying on the center field so he’ll need all of your assistance. Make sure to always keep close watch on everything. Every sudden movement counts but don’t open fire so suddenly. Radio every report to the team.”

                The members nodded but Keito had a question.

Keito: “What about you guys, what will you do?”

Miki: “I know that this sounds crazy but, I will try and infiltrate enemy grounds. I’ll be taking this route and attack from behind. But I know that Kei doesn’t like the idea because it’s suicide.”

Inoo smiled and replied, “I wouldn’t want you to go on a dangerous mission like it. But if you really want to do it then you’ll need my assistance.”

Miki: “I’m glad you agreed.”

Daiki: “I have one more question.”

Miki: “What is it?”

Chinen: “Just in case nothing happens, when will we launch an attack?”

Miki: “Good question. The first phase of the strategy is to get to your posts. If you’re in place, radio in the team. The second phase will be until Kei and I am done scouting the enemy base and have found a good spot to take cover in. Third phase is to monitor the surroundings for signs of activity. If no attack happens, I’ll give Chinen the signal to sound the attack. The other team will surely head off towards the direction of Chinen. We’ll wait until they gather together then the three of you will start the attack. As for us, we’ll launch from the back. So is everything clear?”

Chinen: “Crystal.”

Miki: “Okay then, before we go to our places, let’s test out the radios (walkie talkies) if they’re functional. And by the way, in this team, no one gets left behind.”

                “Affirmative”

 

Group B:

Hikaru: “Now that we’re in home base, let’s select a leader so that we’ll be able to plan a strategy.”

Yabu: “Okay then, who wants to be the leader? Or if not, who do you think should be the leader?”

Hikaru: “I think Takaki should be leader since he was the last one to be eliminated yesterday. He’s invincible after all. Surely, the others won’t be able to eliminate him that easily.”

Yamada: “I think so too.”

Takaki: “But I’ll need someone to plan the strategy with. That means an associate leader.”

Yabu: “Alright then, who’s your pick?”

Takaki: “Yuto. Would you like to take the responsibility with me?”

Yuto: “Me? I don’t know.”

Yamada: “Come one Yuto. You can do it. Besides, you weren’t able to implement your plan yesterday so I think now’s a good time to do it.”

Hikaru: “I’ll have to agree with him.”

Yuto: “Alright then. So Yuya, what plan do you have in mind?”

Takaki: “Yamada, you go and guard the Southeast direction. Hikaru, you take the same direction but stay a bit farther from Yamada. As for Yabu and Yuto, you’ll both guard the center field. You may never know how many of them will attack from the center field. As for me, I’ll guard the Southwest direction. Keep an eye out for any sign of movement and make sure to radio in for reports. Stay in touch at all times. If I get eliminated, Yuto will take over. No one will leave their posts not until I say so.”

The field had turned foggy by the time the game started. Miki and Inoo travelled through the thick green. Large ferns and plantation covered the path making it difficult to pass through. Just as Miki was going to walk through the boundary line, Inoo pulled her behind a tree.

 

Miki: “What’s wrong?”

Inoo covered and warned, “Sshh...”

He looked at a certain direction and then whispered, “I spotted a person a while ago. It seems that someone’s on guard just close by.”

                He checked again and added, “Its Yuya. He’s the one on watch.”

Miki immediately radioed the others and continue to watch out.

Miki: “It’ll be difficult to pass through with him in the way.”

Inoo: “I know. But somehow, we’ll have to find a way.”

Miki thought for a second and said, “We’ll have to crouch down to be able to pass. You go first. I’ll keep watch just in case. Then after you, I’ll go next and you keep watch.”

Inoo: “Are you sure?”

Miki: “Very sure. Now go. We don’t know when the other team will attack.”

 

                They were able to get pass Yuya and headed to enemy base. They cautiously scouted the whole area and saw that no one was there. They radioed the others and told them that all the members of the other team are on the field. After that, they went to find a hiding spot.

                Inoo and Miki looked on both directions and were able to spot Yuto, Yabu and Hikaru. They reported it to the others but unluckily they haven’t spotted Yamada yet. Miki took time to think and came with a conclusion that he would probably be on the Southeast direction. She radioed Keito the warning.

                For another few minutes, Team B had stood still.

Miki: “What do you think? Should we launch an attack now? We have the advantage anyway.”

Inoo: “We could but right now, the two of us are the ones surrounded. Four members of the other team are really close by. We’ll have to find a way to eliminate them or else we’ll be the ones who’ll get wiped out.”

Miki: “Hikaru’s on the left. Yuto and Yabu are at front while Takaki is on the right. This means, you take out Hikaru first, and then I’ll take out Takaki. I’m sure that Takaki is their leader since he was the last one standing from the other team.”

Inoo: “Sounds like a good plan. Okay then, give Chinen the signal. So while they’re distracted, we’ll attack next.”

 

Miki: “Chinen, can you hear me?”

Chinen: “What’s up Miki?”

Miki: “Can you see the large rock right in front from where you are?”

Chinen: “Yes, I can see it.”

Miki: “Shoot towards that direction. Yuto and Yabu are the ones hiding there. You’ll have to make sure that they notice your presence. Okay, sound the assault.”

 

                A noise was heard from a distance.

 

Takaki: “Where’d that come from?”

Hikaru: “It came from the enemy base.”

Yamada: “Center field. I just spotted Chinen on the center field. He was the one who fired.”

Yuto: “He fired towards our direction. It seems that he knows our location.”

Takaki: “Really? Alright then, get ready to fire.”

                “On my signal... Shoot!”

 

                All members from the enemy squad targeted Chinen.

Chinen: “They noticed my signal alright. Now they’re all shooting at me.”

Miki: “Don’t panic. Keito, Daiki, open fire now! Chinen needs help.”

 

                And so the game began. They went at it, trying to eliminate the members of each team. But after a while, the other team started to notice that there were only three members.

 

Miki: “We can’t stay here any longer. It’s time to join the battle.”

                The two positioned themselves and aimed at Hikaru and Takaki.

 

Takaki: “Why are there only three members? Where are the other two?”

Yamada: “I don’t know either. They must be somewhere around enemy base.”

Takaki: “Can’t be. Something’s wrong. Who’s on the field right now?”

Yamada: “Chinen’s the one on the center field. Keito is guarding the East.”

 

Yabu: “Daiki the one guarding the West.”

Takaki: “That leaves Inoo and Miki. Where are those two?”

                It took Yuya a minute to think. But after that, without any time to prove his deduction, Takaki got shot from behind and so did Hikaru.

Takaki: “Ambush! It’s an ambush! The other members are behind us.”

Yamada: “What?! But, how; how were they able to get behind us?”

Takaki: “I don’t know either. They must’ve been able to get passed us without being noticed. I’ve been eliminated from the game. Yuto, it’s your call now. Good Luck!”

Hikaru: “They’re everywhere. Miki and Inoo are in our enemy base. I’m sorry guys, we got removed first.”

Yuto: “We’ll have to find a way to turn the tables. Yuya, who do you think is their leader?”

Takaki looked around at the other team and saw Miki giving instructions to the others.

Takaki: “You guys would probably be surprised but the one giving orders is Miki.”

Yuto: “Really?! She’s the leader. We’ll have to find a way wherein we will eliminate the leader.”

Yamada: “But how can we do that when we’re being shot from all sides?”

 

                It didn’t take long for Yuto to devise a plan.

 

                Yabu went west and Yamada withdrew from his original spot. The three began to fire at Miki and Inoo. Miki radioed the other two and told them to advance from their original position while Inoo and Miki retreated to enemy base.

Inoo: “I thought Yuya was the leader. But I guess they must’ve assigned Yuto as replacement for Yuya.”

Miki: “I thought so. He was able to turn the tables after all. But even though we’re in a tight spot, we still have the other three for back-up. But judging from the distance, they’re too far away from our location.”

                Miki contacted Keito and Chinen then told Chinen to assist Keito so he can advance. After that, she told the same to Daiki and helped Chinen to advance. Daiki asked Chinen for support so he could proceed but half way through, he got hit by Yabu.

 

Chinen: “Dai chan got hit!”

Inoo: “Why? What happened?”

Chinen: “I was trying to help him press forward but he got shot by Yabu.”

Miki: “What were you guys thinking? I didn’t tell you to do something like that.”

Daiki: “Miki, don’t blame Chinen. I was the one who told him to do such thing.”

Miki moaned, “That’s why I didn’t want you to advance because you’re too far away from you supposed destination. What ever happened to “No one gets left behind?” Because of it, we won’t be able to finish the game with all five members.”

Daiki: “I’m sorry for acting alone. I should’ve told you first before carrying out my idea.”

She sighed, “Forget about it. Complaining won’t get you back into the game. All you have to do now is to watch from the sidelines. ”

Daiki: “I’m sorry Miki. Although I’m out, I know that you’ll all be able to win.”

A little later, Keito was able to take out Yamada but got shot by Yuto afterwards. Chinen was the only one left at the back.

                Yuto radioed Yabu and the two of them fired at Chinen to eliminate him. Miki thought that three against two can make a big difference so she couldn’t allow the other team to eliminate her team mate. Without warning, she ran from enemy base and got to a hiding place close by.

“Miki” Inoo shouted.

Miki began shooting at Yabu while Yuto continued trying to shoot Chinen. Inoo on the other hand ran to the closest hiding place and helped out.

                After a while, it was now a one on one fight. Yabu and Chinen got eliminated while Inoo got shot by Yuto.

Miki’s hands trembled. “I hate times like this. I’m afraid. I don’t think I’ll be able to do it without you.”

Inoo: “Daijoubu. I know that you can finish the game.”

Miki whined. “I don’t want to continue if you’re not here. I want to surrender.”

Inoo: “You can’t. I’m here with you. We’re all here with you. I won’t allow you to surrender. Remember that if you surrender now, then all of our efforts are all for nothing. We’re all relying on you to win the game for all five of us. You can do it!”

Miki: “You’re right. But...”

Inoo: “If you are able to get us the win, then I’ll give you a surprise.”

Miki: “And what if I don’t.”

Inoo: “Then... You won’t have a surprise.”

Miki laughed, “Okay, fine. I’ll do my best.”

Inoo: “That’s my girl.”

 

                In a distance, “Oy! It seems that you don’t want to participate in the game. You know, it’s not too late to surrender.”

“What an eavesdropper. I’m not going to give up when you’re the one I’m against.”

                “It’s very surprising for someone who doesn’t take orders from someone to actually become a leader.”

“What? You think I’m that brash? I may do things my own way, but I make sure that I’ll lead properly. And if I fail, I’ll find every possible way to make up for it. And besides, you were the ones who got ambushed not us.”

                “But even if you say so, we were able to turn the tables against you. So that means, even your plan has a crack in it.”

“Well, I didn’t say that it was a full proof plan. Also, I didn’t expect that you would become a leader.”

                “Laugh all you want but just wait and see, because I’ll be the last one laughing.”

The game was intense. Neither of the two wanted to lose the fight. After so much shooting...

Yuto: “Why don’t we call it a draw?”

Miki: “I’m sorry but I’ll have to decline.”

Yuto: “Why?”

Miki: “Because, I want to win for my team. Besides, there’s no need for a draw. All you have to do is surrender and I promise not to pester you about it.”

Yuto: “I would....”

                While Yuto was talking, Miki silently but quickly rushed to Yuto’s hiding place. Yuto heard a cracking sound and panicked when he saw Miki. He tackled her and threw the gun away from her. Miki struggled to break free and grabbed Yuto’s gun. Just as she fired, nothing happened.She continued pressing the trigger and Yuto swiftly seized Miki’s gun and did the same thing. But alas, it was empty too.

                The others who were watching from the sidelines began to laugh.

The two exited and met up with the others.

Miki: “Give me a break. Your gun was empty too. And when I thought I was already going to win.”

Yuto: “Tough luck. It did turn out as a draw after all.”

“It couldn’t have. I used up too much ammo that’s why. But you were much of a trigger-happy person,” she mocked.

                Dusk had just set in by the time the game ended.

Back in the living room, Inoo noticed Miki’s behaviour.

Inoo: “What’s wrong?”

Miki: “I didn’t win the game. I let you guys down.”

Inoo: “You gave it your best, didn’t you?”

Miki nodded.

Inoo: “Even though it turned out as a draw, at least you held out as long as possible just so that you wouldn’t lose. That effort is enough for us already. Hm... Here’s what will happen. You just wait and I’ll give you a surprise.”

Miki: “Didn’t you say that you’ll only give me a surprise when I win?”

Inoo: “But you did. You stayed in the game for so long and didn’t get eliminated. That’s like winning already. In addition to that, you never gave up. You even attacked even though you know that you didn’t have any ammo left.”

He held her hand and added, “So cheer up, okay? I wouldn’t want to see you frowning. When you have some free time then I’ll give you a surprise.”

                After dinner, Inoo took Miki home.