Together You and Me

Together You and Me

 

 It was 10 am in the morning when Miki woke up. She yawned as she stretched her arms and legs. Then she remembered what happened last night. She smiled and muttered, “I can’t believe it. At first he is my friend, and then the next thing I realized, he’s my guy.”

 

                She continued to recall what happened after the countdown.

_____________________

                Right after the fireworks, everyone returned inside while Inoo and Miki went to sit on a bench outside. Inoo was very happy that he was finally able to convey to her his feelings. As for Miki, she continued to admire Inoo for his efforts. They continued to talk; unaware that someone was watching them from the balcony. It was Yuto.

                He stared at Miki with dismay. He never got a chance to tell her what he felt. He pulled a small box from his pocket and gazed at the necklace that he bought. He sighed and said, “I guess I was just too late. And now, she belongs to someone else. I shouldn’t have waited for so long. I should have told her sooner, even though she was mad at me. I’m such an idiot!”

                A few minutes later, Yabu was inside looking for Yuto. For a split second, he made a quick glance at the balcony entrance as he passed by. Suddenly, he stopped and walked backwards. He gave out a short sigh, walked outside saying, “There you are. I’ve been looking all over for you.” Unfortunately, Yuto was too busy sulking to hear him.

                From behind, someone gave Yuto a strong tap on the back. He got distracted and turned around.

Yuto: “Oh, Yabu it’s just you.”

Yabu leaned against the marble banister: “I’ve been looking everywhere for you. How’d it go? Were you at least able to tell her?”

Yuto lowered his head and said, “I failed. Inoo called her attention by the time that I was going to tell her. I’m sorry.”

Yabu: “Why are you apologizing?”

Yuto: “It’s because I wasted all your efforts. You helped me and yet I failed.”

Yabu: “You don’t have to apologize to me. I had to give you all the help that you needed.”

Yuto: “I’m so pathetic.”

Yabu: “Don’t say that. You’re not pathetic .It’s just that, you never knew that Inoo liked her too. All of these were very sudden.”

Yuto: “He told me that he liked her a day before the Countdown party. That’s why I asked for your help. It also explains why he knew a lot that was going between me and Miki. He was always observing us. And it was no wonder that he was always so kind to her.”

Yuto quickly glanced at Yabu saying: “Wait, you knew that Inoo liked Miki?”

Yabu: “Well...About that...”

Yuto: “Oh come on Yabu, tell me everything that you know.”

Yabu: “Okay, okay. Relax .I’ll start with you. I noticed that you liked Miki ever since she became your tutor.”

Yuto: “Ha! You noticed?”

Yabu: “Of course I did. It was very obvious. For example, the first time that we went out to the park. You always wanted to join her in certain games like the bump cars and at the boating area. Next was when you had a misunderstanding with her because she was with Dai chan. I can’t believe that you were really jealous because of that. And by the way, I was the one who gathered everyone to help you get back with Miki .I was also surprised when you taught her how to play the drums and guitar. She was really happy when she was telling me about that. During that time, I told her that she’d make a good match for you.”

Yuto: “What? You actually told her something like that?! What did she say?”

Yabu: “She told me that she can’t be because she’s out of your league. She got really nervous when I told her about that. I laughed and told her that I was just joking. She thought that I was being serious. But in truth, I really was.”

There was a short silence, and then Yabu continued to speak.

Yabu: “But Yuto, you know what?”

Yuto: “What?”

Yabu: “The most amusing thing that I saw you do was when you carried her inside the hotel when she fell asleep while you were outside.”

Yuto: “You know that too?”

Yabu: “It’s partly my fault. I didn’t know that Miki loved the starry sky. But I was happy when I found out that you followed then stayed with her until she fell asleep and brought her inside later on.”

Yuto: “Well, that...”

Yabu: “After what happened during the Christmas party, I was really confident that the two of you would be able to sort things out, but as time went by, it seemed that you were still arguing. That was the time I started to get worried.”

Yuto: “I tried so many times. I even gambled with her when we played darts saying that if I win, she would have to go out with me for a day and listen to all that I had to say. But unfortunately, she didn’t back down so easily. She won the game.”

Yabu: “Also, after the Christmas party, I noticed something different. I observed that Inoo came into the picture. It had me thinking about him. And so, I found out that when we were at park, he also wanted to join Miki in the games. During the time that I gathered everyone to help me get you back together with Miki, Inoo was really participative and he was even the one who called Miki to go to the park. Ever since the misunderstanding occurred, it had always been Inoo who was with Miki. I tried to observe what he was up to when he started to skip lunch. I saw that he was practicing on his keyboard but I never knew that he was actually composing a song. He got closer and closer to her as the days went by. It was quite unbelievable. And, what really shocked me was when I was able to confirm my findings when you said that he was going to tell Miki something. That’s why I really wanted to help you.”

Yuto: “I really appreciate your help. Thanks very much! But why’d you want to help me get back with Miki?”

Yabu smiles at Yuto: “Let’s just say that even though Inoo is always with Miki, somehow, for me, I really enjoy seeing you together.”

Finally, Yuto gave out a short smile: “You really think so?”

Yabu: “Well, that’s my opinion.”

                For a short while, Yuto thought of what he said.

Yuto: *looks down at the two* “But... Somehow, I think it’s for the best that Miki is with Inoo.”

Yabu:*looks down at the two then looks at Yuto* “Why?”

Yuto: “Inoo’s a great guy; he’ll be able to take care of her. At least when Miki’s with him, she’ll always be happy. It’ll make me very happy already to see her smiling.”

After Yuto’s statement, Yabu gave him a weak punch on the abdomen.

Yuto: “Ugh, what was that for?”

Yabu: “Are you crazy? After all you’ve been through?! You’re just going to give up like that? You’re just going to let her go?”

 

Yuto: *coughs* “What is there for me anyway, she’s out of my reach. And besides, when she’s with me, I’ll only make her sad.

Also, it’s Inoo who’s been telling Miki to resolve things with me.”

Yabu: “Even though. Inoo’s different from you. He may be able to make her smile and take care of her but the way you do it is also different. There may be some things that you may be able to do that he can’t. Have you forgotten already what I had just said? The two of you quarrel a lot but for just a short time, you’re able to sort things out.”

Yuto: “That’s because Inoo was there to help.”

Yabu: “Again with Inoo. Can you try and speak without even mentioning him. He may have been there saying this and that but it was still you and Miki who were the ones to talk things out. The way you settle things with Miki does not concern Inoo.”

Yuto: “But still, it’s already too late. She already said that she likes Inoo.”

Yabu delivered a much stronger punch but this time, Yuto was able to block it.

Yabu: “I’m trying to cheer you up but still you’re saying those things. You’re so annoying.”

Yuto: “I already told you...”

Yabu quickly grasped his shirt then he said, “Tell me what you feel about her. Do you love her?”

Yuto: “I.. I..”

Yabu: “Answer me now!”

Yuto: “Yes!  Yes I do! I love her!”

Yabu: “Then, if what you say is true, then fight for what you feel! Love is a battlefield. If you can’t fight for what you love, then you’ll lose. You understand me?”

He released him and Yuto replied, “Yes, I understand.”

Yabu: “Good. Then find a way where you can get her back. You may be friends but you know very well that Inoo took her away from you.”

Yuto: “I’ll think about it.”

Yabu: “Don’t think about it. Do it.”

Yabu turned his back and raised his hand: “Good Luck! You can do it!”

Just as Yabu left, Yuto turned and leaned on the banister. He looked down at the bench and saw that Inoo and Miki had already left. He gave out a big sigh and muttered, “I think Yabu’s right. But where am I supposed to start? Yabu already gave me a lot of advice. I’ll have to think of a way to tell Miki.”

                Miki and Inoo had just returned inside. Miki was yawning so Inoo said, “The party’s already over and it’s 2 in the morning.”

Miki: “I didn’t notice the time. Well, I think it’s time for me to go home now.”

Inoo: “Wait, don’t you think it’s a bit late. I mean at this time. Sleep in my room for now; I’ll just go sleep in Daiki’s room.”

Miki: “Well, okay. I guess you’re right.”

_____________________

 

Miki: “It feels so nostalgic sleeping in Kei’s room again. But then again, at least I’m comfortable with it. I wonder if he’s already awake.”

                So Miki jumped of the bed and got ready. Just as she went out the door, she tripped on something and fell down. She sat up, rubbed her right knee and with her peripheral vision, saw a bear lying on the floor. She picked it as she stood up. She found out that it was the bear that she saw in Blue Magic when they went there the other day. She continued to examine it and saw a folded note fall on the floor. She took it and read what was written inside.

 

                Her face flushed. She looked around hoping to see who gave it to her. But then she thought that it must be from Kei. She smiled and headed to the living room. Inoo was sitting on one chair and facing him was Yuto. And sitting on the sofa were Yabu and Daiki. Inoo walked towards her as he greeted her and then saw the bear in her arms.

Miki: “Kei, the bear came from you right? I love it so much! It’s so cute! This was the one I saw in Blue Magic when we went to SM the other day.”

Inoo: “I... Uh... Yes. It is. I knew you liked it so I got it for you.”

Miki: “You really didn’t have to include a note you know.”

Inoo: “A note?”

Miki: “Don’t pretend that you don’t know.”

                Miki pulled a note from her pocket and showed it to Inoo.

Inoo read, “Miki, I love you!

                He noticed the penmanship immediately.

Inoo pocketed the note and replied, “Well, you know me.”

Miki: “All you had to do was say it if you wanted to.”

 “I’ll make sure to say it next time,” Inoo said in a slightly elevated voice.

Inoo: “So, you must be hungry. Why won’t we get something to eat then I’ll take you out.”

Miki: “Take me out?”

Inoo: “Let’s just say, it’ll be our first date.”

Miki’s eyes widened with surprise, “Ah, okay.”

                Just as they left the room, Inoo gave Yuto one last look. Yabu and Daiki on the other hand glanced from Inoo to Yuto.

After eating, Inoo and Miki went out of the Hotel. The first place where Inoo took her was at the Botanical Garden. They walked around the place enjoying the scenery. There were people walking around but it wasn’t very noisy.

Then Inoo remembered something. He pulled Miki close to him at took a picture. Miki wondered why and Inoo said, “It’s our first date. Might as well take some pictures together right?” Miki replied, “No fair, I wasn’t ready.”

                After a while, Miki got Inoo’s phone and said that she’ll get some other pictures over there. So Inoo sat on a bench and waited for her. Miki returned and saw Inoo with his eyes closed. Smiling, she approached him cautiously and took a picture.

The phone made a sound which woke Inoo up. Surprised with what Miki did, he chased her so that he could take a look at his picture sleeping.

                After that, Inoo shared to Miki how they all reacted when they saw the old people with a lot of tattoos over their body. Miki on the other hand, explained the reasons for having tattoos like those during the olden times. Not only that, Inoo was also intrigued with their clothing, most especially those with the males. Miki smiled at him as he continued to show signs of fascination regarding their culture.

                After the Botanical Garden, Inoo took Miki to Wright Park. Miki was so happy about riding horses again because it’s been a while since she rode one. They got two horses and both rode on each one. Miki talked to Inoo about when her parents took her, together with her brothers and cousins to Wright Park to ride on horses. And that they also used to go on a picnic on grassland somewhere close by. She recalled the times when she tried to tell the horse to run when the horse’s caretaker was taking to another person. Inoo laughed at her stories and said, “Well, at least now, you don’t have a caretaker looking after you.” “That’s why I’m glad to ride a horse without one. It’d be great to let the horse run,” Miki replied.

Inoo: “Why won’t you give it a try?”

Miki: “Only if you join me.”

Inoo: “Okay then.”

                So for the remaining time, the two let the horses run side by side.

After riding horses, they went to Mines View Deck. The fog had just set in so it was cold. The fog covered the lower parts of the mountains which made it seem that there was a sea of fog. Once again, the two took pictures as a remembrance of their first date.

                It was now 5 in the afternoon. Inoo took her to their usual place, 50’s Diner. The shakes and French fries were the first ones to be served. As the two conversed, Miki offered Inoo French fries. At about 6:30 in the evening, the two went to the Cathedral. Inoo took Miki to the wishing pond and the two made a wish.

Inoo wished, “I wish that Miki will always be happy. And I wish that I’ll always be with her.”

Miki wished, “I wish that we’ll always be happy.”

                And the two dropped the coins in the wishing pond.

Miki: “Wow, it’s already dark.”

Inoo: “Hmm... Do you want to go home now?”

Miki: “It’s okay. Where are we going next?”

Inoo: “To the park.”

Miki: “What will we do there?”

Inoo: “You’ll see. It’s where today will end I guess.”

                When they arrived in Burnham Park, Inoo hired a boat. They got on it and Inoo rowed the boat to the center. Miki recalled the night when she was with Yuto but she immediately shrugged it off.

Miki: “The surroundings look more beautiful when you’re on a boat.”

Inoo: “I knew you’d like it so I thought of taking you here.”

Miki: “It’s really wonderful. The way the lights glisten over the water is just so beautiful. It’s like the stars are in the water.”

Everything that Miki had seen was exactly the same as when she was with Yuto. She got disturbed by the thought so she tried to shake it off her head.

Inoo: “Is anything wrong?”

Miki: “Mm... Nothing’s wrong. I guess I’m starting to get tired.”

Inoo: “Oh okay.”

                After enjoying the evening together, it was time for Inoo to take Miki home. Inoo timidly held Miki’s hand as they walked out of the park.

Although Miki knew that she had been with Inoo for some time already; knowing that he had just become her guy, all of this was very new to her. She was surprised, nervous, and her heart began to beat faster.

 

Why do I feel this way? I’ve been with him for some period of time already. But how is it that I find this a bit awkward. It should be normal that something like this happens. I’ve hugged him before, danced with him, stayed with him but somehow it feels very different now.

 

Their relationship had created a new atmosphere. Much different from what they have had before.

                After some minutes, they had arrived outside of Miki’s house.

 

Inoo: “It’s been a long day and you slept late after the party. You must be exhausted.”

Miki:  “Mm. You don’t have to worry. I can still manage. All I have to do is to sleep early tonight.”

Inoo: “Are you sure?”

Miki nodded.

                No one was around. The two noticed that the pathway that passed by Miki’s house had no light. Although that was the case, they identified each other’s existence in the dark. Inoo held Miki’s chin and moved his face closer to hers. Miki simply closed her eyes and everything had turned black. She thought, “Could this be it?” She waited for something to happen but at the very last second, she realized something and quickly turned her head away.

 

Inoo: “What’s wrong?”

Miki:  “I... Um... Nothing’s wrong. It’s just that...”

Inoo: “You don’t have to say it. I understand. It’s still a bit early and...”

Miki: “No. It’s not that. Something just came up and I thought that it shouldn’t be now.”

Inoo: “Oh, I see. Well, I’m sorry if I tried to... ”

Miki: “No. It’s okay. Don’t worry about it.”

Inoo put his hand in his pockets and said: “Well then. I guess it’s time for me get going since it’s already dark. Good night! See you tomorrow! Sleep well!”

                Inoo turned around and began to walk away. But immediately, Miki hugged him from behind.

Miki: “It’s not what you had in mind, but...”

Inoo: “You don’t have to say it. Besides, it’s nothing really and your embrace makes me happy already.”

Miki: “Well, I just wanted to say, Good night and sleep well also. And take care of yourself on your way home.”

Inoo: “You take care too.”

 

 

                After a few minutes, Inoo had arrived in the Hotel. He saw that the others were in the living room conversing.

Hikaru: “Hey! Inoo! You’re back! So how’d everything go?”

Keito: “Ha? What’s up? Where’d you go?”

Daiki: “He went out on a date with Miki.”

Keito: “Oh, I see. How’d it go? I bet you had a lot of fun.”

Chinen: “Surely he did.”

                Hikaru approached Inoo and put his arm around his shoulder.

Hikaru: “Ne, so did you...”

                Inoo looked at him with wonder and asked, “Did what?”

Hikaru: “You know...” And Hikaru puckered his lips in front of Inoo. “Did you get to second base?”

                Inoo laughed as he eyed Yuto. Yuto looked at him but pretended not to care.

Inoo: “Honestly, I could’ve if she wanted to.”

Hikaru: “Ha?”

Inoo: “I was almost going to but she turned away. I don’t know why but she did.”

Hikaru: “Oh, I see.”

                “Relief...” Yuto thought.

Yabu: “Anyway, let’s get back to what we were discussing a while ago. We only have less than two weeks of stay before we leave for Japan. Inoo, what ideas do you have?”

Inoo: “Well, Miki told me that their classes will resume on the 4th so if you guys plan on inviting them, then we should go out somewhere on the 2nd and 3rd.”

Yamada: “He’s right. We should go somewhere fun.”

Yabu: “So what do you guys have in mind?”

Inoo: “Miki told me of a resort although it’s far from here. She described to me that she loved the place because it had numerous pools, slides and a wave pool.”

Hikaru: “Sounds fun. I like it. How about we go there tomorrow?”

Yabu: “How far is it from here?”

Inoo: “I don’t know. I’ll try to ask her. For now, you guys try to discuss about other places where we can go to.”

 

                Inoo went out to the balcony and dialled Miki’s number.

*Rings*

                Miki was about to go to bed when she saw that her phone was ringing.

Miki: “Hello. Um, Kei, what’s up?”

Inoo: “Are you sleeping?”

Miki: “I’m about to go to sleep actually. Why?”

Inoo: “I’m sorry for disturbing but I wanted to ask you about the resort you were talking about last time.”

Miki: “Oh you mean, Leisure Coast Resort?”

Inoo: “Yes, that one.”

Miki: “Why? What about it?”

Inoo: “The guys and I were discussing about places where we can go to for fun and I suggested the resort you were talking about. How far is it from here?”

Miki: “I’m not sure but you’ll need transportation to get there. If I try to estimate, depending on the speed of the vehicle you’ll use, it would probably take an hour or two.”

Inoo: “Oh, I see.”

Miki: “When do you plan on going there?”

Inoo: “Tomorrow actually. And we thought of inviting you and Kazumi.”

Miki: “Okay. If that’s the final decision then inform me what time we’ll be leaving.”

Inoo: “I’ll tell them right now and then call you immediately for the news. I wouldn’t want you to sleep late after all.”

Miki: “Okay. I’ll be waiting for your call. Love you! Bye!”

Inoo: “Love you more. Bye!”

                Inoo returned inside and told everyone what Miki said. A few minutes later, everyone had come to a decision.

Keito: “Alright then. I’ll call Kazumi and tell her about it.”

Yamada: “No. I’ll be the one calling her.”

Hikaru: “You can both stop arguing because I’ll be the one calling.”

                The three immediately brought out their phones and dialled Kazumi’s number.

They waited for the other side to ring but...

Takaki: “Good evening Kazumi. How are you?”

Kazumi: “I’m fine.”

Takaki: “I called so I can inform you that we will be going out for swimming tomorrow. And the others planned on inviting Miki and you. Are you free?”

Kazumi: “Yes, I am. Where will we be going?”

Takaki covered the speaker and asked the three the name of the resort.

                Yamada uttered, “Leisure Coast Resort.”

Takaki: “Oh, okay. Thanks!”

Takaki: “The name is Leisure Coast Resort.”

Kazumi: “Oh, the one that Miki talked about before.”

Takaki: “We’ll be leaving tomorrow at 8 am. It will probably be a 2-hour trip so the others thought of leaving at an early time.”

Kazumi: “I see. Okay then, I’ll see you guys tomorrow at the hotel.”

Takaki: “Okay. Good night! See you tomorrow! Take care!”

Kazumi: “You take care also. Good night!”

                Just as the call ended, Takaki looked at the other three.

Takaki: “What? You guys were taking too long to call her.”

                On the other hand, Inoo called Miki again. After a quick conversation, they ended the call with “I LOVE YOUs.”

The group got up and returned to their rooms.

                Inoo followed Yuto as and the both of them took the elevator. For a while, the two had been silent.

Inoo: “So, how’s it going?”

Yuto didn’t reply.

Inoo took hold of something and handed it to Yuto.

Yuto: “What’s this?”

Inoo: “I’m just returning something that came from you.”

Yuto grabbed the piece of paper and pocketed it.

Inoo: “You could have given it to her personally you know.”

Yuto: “Such matter doesn’t concern you if I gave it to her in any way that I wanted.”

Inoo: “Then what you did was quite useless since she thought that the bear came from me and that I was the one who wrote that note.”

                They got out of the elevator and continued to walk.

Yuto: “Fine, whatever. Can you please stop talking? I know already. You were able to get the answer you wanted from her. Now stop bothering me because of that.”

Inoo: “I wonder what made her change her mind at the last second. We were this close but she backed away.”

Yuto thought, “Don’t push your luck. It’s not because she became your girlfriend doesn’t mean that you can get her that easily. Although I can’t say that I’ll be luckier. I might just end up like him too. That reminds me, if it was the same as compliments, I would say that she’s not that comfortable with such things also.”

Inoo: “What can you say? Since we both know that you like her too, what do you think was her reason for backing away at the last second?”

Yuto: “She probably doesn’t want to kiss someone like you.”

Inoo: “Hahaha. I know you’d say something like that. I wonder. If it were you would she back away?”

Yuto: “If you’re trying look at the possibilities, she probably wouldn’t. Hahaha”

Inoo: “Haha... Are you serious? What makes you think that? I don’t even think she hugged you even once before.”

Yuto: “If you think that you’ve got a greater chance than me, then why’d she decline at the last second? It doesn’t matter how many times she’s hugged you already. Hahaha... Do not push your luck that easily.”

Inoo: “Don’t worry. I’m not. It was a bit unexpected that’s why.”

                Their conversation ended when they reached two separate ways. Inoo walked to the right while Yuto turned to the left.