Together You and Me

Together You and Me

 

Chapter 26 “Throb”

 

Earlier the next day, Mikislowly woke up. Inoo was sitting on a chair with his head resting on the bed. Miki got up and and tried to walk but her feet trembled and she fell down.

                Inoo opened his eyes and recognized what happened.

“What are you doing? You can’t get up yet. You need to stay in bed.”

“I didn’t want to wake you. I just wanted to go to the bathroom, that’s all.”

“You should’ve told me anyway.”

                After using the bathroom, Miki went back on the bed.

“I’ll have to get up later and prepare for school.”

“You’re not going to school today.”

“I’m feeling much better now.”

“No you’re not. Now rest while I go get you something to eat.”

                Inoo got out of the room when Yamada ran into him.

Yamada: “How’s Miki doing?”

Inoo: “She’s okay. Actually, she’s resting inside. Say, can you help me?”

“Help you with what?”

“Can you help me whip something up for Miki?”

“Um... Sure.”

                After a while, Inoo returned with food.

“Miki,” he whispered on her ear.

                He helped her sit up and Miki’s head dropped wearily on his shoulder.

“You need to eat.”

She shook her head as she moaned. “I’ll stay and rest but I don’t want to eat.”

“You have to. You’ll need it so you can regain your energy.”

But Miki insisted and buried her head towards his chest.

“Please... Eat. So you can get better.”

She looked at him and nodded.

                Inoo started with the soup. He spooned out a little and blew on it before offering it to Miki.

After eating, Miki asked if he was the one who cooked the food.

“I had a little help from Yamada. Why, did it taste terrible?”

“Actually, I don’t feel like eating when I’m sick but I found the food you cooked very appetizing. Thanks very much.”

“I’m glad you liked it.”

Miki hugged Inoo and rested her head on his shoulder. She closed her eyes and went back to sleep.

Inoo did the same and whispered, “Get well soon.”

                A few hours later, Miki was all alone in the room sleeping. Quietly, the door opened and an individual entered the room. The person placed a basket of oranges on the table and sat on the edge of the bed. The person brushed aside the hair covering Miki’s face, leaned a little closer and whispered, “Get well soon.”

The person placed a hand on her cheek then Miki responded. She held the person’s hand and verbalized, “Don’t leave me.”

“I won’t think of leaving you so sleep now.”

                The person needed to leave soon but couldn’t because Miki was holding on tightly.

Some minutes later, the door opened. The person immediately got up and broke free from Miki’s hold.

Inoo: “Oh, Yuto. I see you came to see Miki.”

 “I... Um... I just came to bring her these oranges, since they’re her favourite.”

Miki slowly woke up and rubbed her eyes.

“What’s going on?” she questioned.

Inoo sat on the bed and said, “Yuto came to see if you were okay.”

She looked at him but didn’t say a word.

Yuto: “Make sure to get well soon. You wouldn’t want Inoo to worry so much.” And he quickly went out of the room.

Miki: “Where did you go?”

“I returned the eating utensils that you used. After that I went to your house and got you some clothes to change in. It was a good thing that your brother was still home. How are you feeling?” he asked as he placed his hand on her forehead.

“I’m okay. When did Yuto come in?”

“I don’t know. I saw that he was already here by the time I arrived. Why?”

“I was just curious that all. Since you returned with some clothes, I think I’ll take a shower then.”

                Miki had just gotten out of the shower and pressed her hands against the lavatory. She stared at the mirror and stated,

He came into the room quietly. I may be asleep but I heard a voice very clearly. I thought that it was Kei. Kei was the only one I knew who told those words.

*Thud*                    *thud*                     *Thud*   *thud*    *Thud*

She placed her hand on her face and thought, “Could it be? Was he the one whose voice I heard, and whose hand touched my face? 

She shook her head and muttered, “Get a hold of yourself girl. It’s not possible. He only came in to give the oranges.”

                Inoo was asleep on the bed just as Miki got out of the bathroom. She sat on the side of the bed and brushed his cheek, “You went into so much trouble just totake care of me.”

He opened his eyes and said, “I see you’re done taking a shower.”

                She nodded, “Now it’s your turn to rest.”

“Are you...”

“Ssh... Don’t say another word. I promise I won’t go anywhere. Now close your eyes and sleep.” Without warning, she leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek.

He smiled and said, “Make sure to stay inside the Hotel. And while you’re at it, go get something to eat also, okay?”

“I’ll bring you some food later.”

                She left the room and went down to the living room. Everyone was surprised to see her up. But they wondered where Inoo was.

“He’s in his room sleeping.”

Keito asked, “What? Don’t tell me he’s the one who is sick this time?”

“No. You don’t have to worry about him. I just asked him to rest.”

Chinen: “That reminds me, he’s been awake all night trying to take care of you.”

“Then it’s good that I got him to go to sleep.”

Yabu: “How’s my little sister feeling?”

“Still a bit wobbly but I can manage. I’ll return to Kei’s room when I don’t feel well. Besides, he told me not to go anywhere.”

Yabu: “Make sure to get lots of rest okay? So, are you hungry? I know I am. Let’s all get something to eat.”

Miki smiled as everyone passed by, then she saw that Yuto was looking at her. She lowered her head and quickly followed the others.

They finished eating and Miki got some food.

Hikaru: “Are you going back already?”

“Yes. I’ll find something to do upstairs. Also, Kei might be hungry so I’ll take these to him. It’s my turn to take care of him even though he’s not sick.”

Hikaru: “Ain’t that sweet. See you later then. And get well soon.”

                Miki returned to Inoo’s room and saw that he had just woken up. She placed the food on the small table and called him to eat.

“Thank you for taking care of me,” Miki said suddenly.

Inoo smiled and replied, “I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ll say it again. Plus it won’t matter if I will keep on repeating it over and over. You’re an important person to me so no matter what I’ll take care of you. If you get sick, then I’ll nurse you back to health. And I promise that I won’t leave you alone.

                Inoo finished eating and Miki was going to return the eating utensils when Inoo seized her hand.

“Don’t worry about that, I’ll return them later.”

“No, you rest and I’ll take these downstairs,” Miki responded.