Turning Over a Brand New Page

My Crush is....Gay!?

A few weeks after the exam, a letter came to my house from the school. Luckily my parents weren’t at home so I was able to quickly rip off the “Seoul Boys Academy” sticker that was pasted on the front.

I opened it shakily and looked at the letter inside.

“Dear Mr. and Mrs. Song,” I breathed. “Thank you for letting your son, Song Haebyun participate in the Seoul Boys Academy entrance exam.” I almost stopped breathing at the next sentence.

“Fortunately, they have done very well in the entrance exam so we are offering a scholarship for Song Haebyun to come and study at our school.”

I clutched the letter that the words almost crinkled into un-readable words.

“I got in!!” I whispered to myself. “I got in!”

I quickly rushed out of my house.

“I GOT IIIIIINNNNN!!!” I yelled happily. There was no one on the streets except for a little boy with his mother who were both staring at me standing at my porch with two arms high in the air.

“Mummy, she’s crazy,” The boy said and pointed at me. The mother quickly tore her eyes off me and ushered her son away before I could do anything else weird. But I was too happy to be feel embarrassed right now.

I quickly ran back inside to my home phone and dialled my school’s number.

“SM High School, what would you-“

“CAN I PLEASE SPEAK TO BAEK SEONGSANGNIM PLEASE!?” I yelled through the phone excitedly.

“Who is this?” The receptionist asked, not sounding very happy.

“I’M HIS STUDENT, SONG HAERIN! PLEASE LET ME TALK TO HIM NOW!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PL-“

The phone line suddenly went dead.

What!?

Why would she hang up at such an important time!?

Frowning, I quickly dialled again.

“Hello?” I heard the receptionist in her sickly sweet tone as she tried to answer the phone professionally.

“PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEA-“

The phone line went dead again.

I rolled around impatiently. Why would she hang up again!?

I really needed to tell someone about this!!

The phone suddenly rang, causing me to jump and quickly grab the phone.

“HELLO?” I answered with excitement. The teacher’s voice sighed at the other end.

“Song Haerin, what are you doing?” He asked. “Why are you calling the school on a weekend? You know the receptionist came to me complaining that there was a weirdo calling for me.”

“SEONGSANGNIM I GOT IN!!” I yelled, not able to contain my excitement any longer. “I GOT INTO THE SCHOOL! I GOT IN! I GOT IN! I GOT IN!”

I heard chuckling on the other side of the phone.

“Really?” He said. “You didn’t day dream during the test like you usually do?”

“Ani, I didn’t!” I grinned. “Listen to this! Listen to this!” I took out the letter and re-read it to him, making sure I said “Song Haerin” instead of “Song Haebyun” and “Seoul Academy” instead of “Seoul Boys Academy” and “daughter” instead of “son”.

“Not bad,” The teacher said after I finished reading it out. “So that means you start next week?”

I nodded excitedly and then remembered that he couldn’t see me so I said “yes, yes!” through the phone.

“Good luck at the new school then,” He said. “Study hard and don’t daydream!”

“Yes!” I said. “I will! Thank you Baek Seongsangnim!”

With that, I hung up and looked through the letter again. It said that my uniform and things would come in around three days and I was to start school next week. I couldn’t stop grinning.

“We’re home!” Mum and Dad came bustling through the door.

“Umma! Appa!!” I yelled excitedly. “Guess what? I GOT IN!!”

They dropped their suitcases and bags.

“What!? You what!?” They crowded around me.

“I got into Seoul B- I mean, Seoul Academy!” I grinned and flashed the letter in front of them for two seconds in case they saw the suspicious parts.

They didn’t seem to care about the letter because I was crushed into another big yet warm bear hug from my family.

“Congratulations!!” Mum cried. “Congratulations!”

“You did very well, Haerin-ah!” Dad said. “Well done!”

We all sighed and relaxed in the living room after all the celebrations. I got up from the couch.

“Well,” I grinned at my parents. “I’m going to start packing now and getting ready to stay at the boarding school!”

With that, I headed upstairs.

I hope he got in too...Luhan, just wait!

 

 

 

Monday morning for next week came flying by quickly. My alarm woke me up and I got up almost immediately and yawned.

I stepped into my slippers and headed over to my closet where my new school uniform was there, waiting for me. After I wore my uniform, I quickly headed downstairs for breakfast.

“I’m done!” I said after everything was ready. I stood at the door with my luggage that had most of my possessions inside. “Goodbye umma, appa! I’ll come back to visit during the holidays!”

“Aigoo, our girl has grown up,” Mum sighed. “But Haerin-ah, are you sure you don’t want to tie some piggy tails in your hair? You look a bit like a boy.” I grinned and shook my head.

“Ani, it’s okay,” I replied.

After all, the more boy-ish I look, the better.

Dad came along and patted my shoulder.

“Do well, okay?” He said. “Study hard and make us proud.”

“Neh! I will!” I nodded. “I’m leaving now!” Before I went out the door, I turned towards the mirror that was located near the door. I stared at the reflection in the mirror and a young, baby faced boy stared back. I took a breath and nodded to myself before slinging my bag over my shoulder and stepping out of the door, ready to face life as a boy.

 


 

Hope you’ve enjoyed this update! ^^