Invited

Smiling doesn't hurt, does it?

Meekun's POV

I was actually glad that Jinki had seen me in the park. The reason that I sat there from the beginning was the cold atmosphere at home. My mother had completely ignored me the whole evening before, and she had continued with it in the morning. I just had to get out, and since I didn't have any friends, I went to the park. I had brought my notebook, just to get my feelings out, but I had still begun to cry. And then Jinki came. And he'd made me smile again. I looked at him from the corner of my eye, where he walked besides me, a bag in each hand. I thought about offering him my help, but for some reason I didn't. Instead I just walked there, with my notebook and pen in one hand, and the other one just swaying while I walked. The fact that we were going to spend the whole day together, not forced by any project, made me wonder what it was. It wasn't a date. For me it wasn't, anyway. I didn't want him to get any ideas, but there wasn't a way of telling him without sounding like a stuckup brat. 

"Uhm, so, where do you live?" I asked him.

"Just around the corner", he answered me, and smiled. 

It was very annoying. Before it never happened, but now, everytime he smiled at me, my own smile begged to get out. But I wouldn't let it. Not everytime. Still, the wish was there. We turned around the corner, where Jinki's house were, and it looked exactly like my own. Not so weird, since we did live in the same neighbourhood, but it bugged me a little. When he continued up to the door, I waited a bit further away. When he opened the door, he realised that I wasn't behind him, and turned to me.

"Are you coming?" he asked me.

"I don't know. Your parents..." I hesitated.

"Oh, come on. They're harmless", Jinki retorted.

I slowly walked up to him, and followed him into the house. That was painful. We had the same constructions on our houses, but the impression when you walked through the door was completely different. In my house, it was just a house. In Jinki's house, it was a home. 

"Jinki! Is that you?" a light voice called, from what should be the kitchen, when Jinki closed the door after us.

A woman came out in the hall, and came to an abrupt stop when she saw me. She had her dark brow hair put up in a knot on her head, and she had the same happy eyes as her Jinki. She looked at me a short moment, before she smiled at me. Apparently it was in the family. Jinki walked up to me, so we stood beside eachother.

"Mom, this is Meekun, my partner in the project. Meekun, this is my mom", he introduced us. 

"Hello, Meekun, it's nice to meet you", his mom said with a smile.

"Nice to meet you", I said, and bowed.

Then she turned to her son, and reached for the bags. He handed one of them over, as he kept the other one. They went back to the room his mom had come from, and I awkwardly stood on the same place. Jinki's head popped out from the room and he looked at me.

"Are you coming?" he asked.

I followed them, and came into a kitchen, just as I had suspected. The two bags were placed on the kitchen counter, and Jinki's mom was already packing up the stuff. Jinki had sat himself down on a chair, and waved for me to come too. I hesitantley sat beside him. 

"If you're wondering, we're having a small party tonight, that's why there's so much stuff here", Jinki's mom said, and looked at me with her smile.

I stiffly smiled back. She had a much less energetic smile, but it was obvious where Jinki had gotten his habbit from. 

"Would you like to come?" she then asked.

I got completely taken by surprise. She didn't even know me, and she still invited me to her party.

"Oh, I don't know. I mean, it's very kind of you, but..." I stuttered.

"Oh, don't be silly. Of course a friend of Jinki should come! Unless you have something else to do?"

"Well, not really..."

"Good! So you're coming then?" she asked, and she looked so nice.

I looked at Jinki for help, but he looked very pleased by the fact that I had gotten invited. I sighed quietly and looked back at his mom.

"I guess I am", I said, and attempted to smile.

"Great!"

I threw Jinki a sour look, but he just smiled at me. So much for him being my "friend". 

"Well, you two kids should go do something creative, as I'm going to prepare food for tonight", his mom said, in a descrete way of telling us to get out of her way.

"Okay, see you soon", Jinki said, as he got up from his chair, walked to his mom and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"See you. You too, Meekun", she said, and looked at me.

I nodded and bowed again, before I followed Jinki out of the house. As soon as I was sure his mom couldn't see us, I smacked him in the back of his head.

"Ouch! What was that for?" he whined.

"Oh, you know what that was for", I said.

"Well, you said yourself that you don't have something else to do", he deffended himself.

"But I don't feel comfortable with this kind of stuff! And I don't have something to wear!"

An uncomfortable grin appeared on Jinki's face as I spoke the last words.

"Well, the good thing is that I know what we're going to do today", he said.