Confronting

Smiling doesn't hurt, does it?

Meekun's POV

The more time I spent with Jinki's friends, the more comfortable I became around them. It wasn't on purpose, it just kind of happened. And soon, Yuri and her friends begun to eat with us too, and without me knowing how, I was one of the popular students. I didn't exactly talk with anyone except Jinki, and sometimes Minho, but because I sat with them at lunch it made me one of them. Yuri seemed to be satisfied about it, atleast she didn't corner me again. She did give me some looks sometimes, but those were simple to ignore. And for the first time in three years, I felt... happy, and the reason was Jinki. I couldn't deny it, and I felt my feelings towards him grow stronger and stronger. When we presented our project, we mesmerized the whole class with the beautiful colors, and Mr. Hong gave us an aproving look. But of course, reality caught up with me.

I came home from school, and it was friday. Once I stepped inside the door, I could feel that something was different. A familiar smell reached me, and I could hear my mother's laughter coming from the livingroom. I got an uneasy feeling in my stomach, and I quietly dropped my bag to the floor. I slowly walked to the doorway, and my eyes landed on the face of the one person I hated the most. My father. He was smiling at my mother, who was red in the face of happiness. I backed out of the livingroom, and then turned around, running out of the house. I didn't know if they had seen me or not, but I didn't wait to find out. I just ran, and in the end, I found myself in the park. I glided down a tree, sitting down on the frozen ground. I didn't care that it was cold, and that I would probably become sick, I just needed to breath. The tears came streaming down my face, and I didn't stop them. Why hadn't my mother said anything? Not a single word about my father coming home had been spoken, and he just shows up. My heartbeat was racing away, and the tears just kept coming. My whole body started to become cold, but I couldn't go back home. Not with him there. And there wasn't really anywhere else I could go. I couldn't go to Jinki, I couldn't let him see me so upset. I pulled up my legs and wrapped my arms around them, trying to keep some warmth. It had already become dark, and no other person was in sight because of the cold weather. Soon, my crying faded, and the drowsiness came over me. I lost the battle to keep my eyes open, and the last thing that went through my head was Jinki.

I woke up, feeling very confused, and my whole body was aching. I didn't open my eyes straight away, instead I tried to recall what had happened. I had fallen asleep outside, in the cold. And now I was in a warm bed. It smelled like hospital. I opened my eyes slightly, and the light almost blinded me. I let my eyes get used to the brightness until I opened them fully. And my suspicions were confirmed. I was in a hospital room. I looked around, and my eyes landed on a sleeping figure in a chair next to my bed. It took a few seconds to recognise him, but it was my father. Since he was sleeping, and I wasn't in any condition to walk away, I took a moment to look at his face. He looked older and more worn out since the last time I'd seen him, and he had gotten a little beard. It made me so shocked to see that he still looked like the man that I once had looked up to, and I had to look away for a moment. There was one window in the room, and it was dark outside. Either it was really late at night, or very early morning. I had many questions. Who had found me? Where was my mother? And, especially, who had reported me missing?

"Meekun?" I suddenly heard a whisper next to me.

I turned my head and locked eyes with my father. A knot formed in my chest, and I got an urge to escape. But my legs was too stiff to move. I was forced to confront the moment I'd been dreading for so long.