Saturday

Smiling doesn't hurt, does it?

Jinki's POV

The sun shone when I woke up on the Saturday morning, and brought a smile to my face. It reminded me of Meekun. The fact that she had returned my smile the day before, only made my smile grow bigger. I got up and got dressed, before I made my way down to the kitchen. My dad sat at the table, reading the newspaper, while my mom was peacefully eating her breakfast. I greeted them, and got started on my own meal.

"Did you sleep well, Sweetie?" my mom asked me.

"Yes. And you?" I replied.

"Well enough. But, when you're done eating, could you be so nice and go shop for some things we need for tonight?" she asked me.

I nodded, and we exchanged smiles. My parents enjoyed throwing small parties from time to time. After finishing up breakfast and brushing my teeth, I went out to get the groceries. It took me about 20 minutes to get to the store, and well there I started going through the list of stuff my mom had given me before I left the house. I came to the conclusion that the party that evening was a bigger one. 

On my way home, with one bag in each hand, I got an impulse to take a walk through the park, that were on the way home anyways. As I walked through it, I looked around. The leafs on the trees were beginning to change color, and brought a whole new set of color out. And, for the second time that day, my thoughts wandered of to Meekun. If it'd been someone else I'd been paired up with that had been unwilling to work, I probably would've given up and done the project myself, but it was something with that girl. Something that kept me from giving up and keep on trying. And all that hard work had finally paid of. I turned my head to look around, and my eyes caught something under a big tree. At first I thought that I was imagining, that it was my mind playing a trick, but as I walked closer, I realised that it actually was her. It was Meekun. She was sitting and looking down at something, her short hair covering her face.

"Meekun!" I called out to her.

She looked up, and as I saw her face, my smile slowly faded away. Her cheeks had traces of tears, and her eyes were red. I dropped the bags to the ground and walked up to her. I sat down next to her, but she moved away. She was embarassed. I gently took her arm, and held her still as I moved closer to her. Her shoulders jumped, as a sob made it's way out of . I dropped my hand from her arm, and just sat there. As the day before, I just waited for her to calm down and take the first step. It took a while, but eventually she pulled herself together, and took a deep breath.

"Are you following me or what?" she asked.

I grinned at her. She pulled her eyebrows together and gave me a look. Still, she wasn't as much on edge she'd been before.

"Not really. Believe it or not, but I actually have a life outside school", I answered her.

I caught the little twitch in the corner of , but didn't mention it, as I saw that it wasn't really the time for that. She looked at me a little bit before she looked away, and sighed. 

"So, if your not following me, what are you doing here?" she asked without looking at me.

"I'm on my way home from the store. And I just happened to see you sit here, and thought I should say hello to my friend", I said.

She reacted at the word friend, and turned her head to me. She looked into my eyes, with her own, intelligent ones, still red. It was way to easy for her to get me to drown in them, but I didn't complain.

"Friend? Are we friends now?" she asked me. 

"Yeah. I'm your friend now", I smiled at her. 

She snorted and looked away again. Atleast she didn't deny it.

"And may I ask what you are doing here?" I asked after a while.

She stiffened.

"I'm drawing", she answered shortly.

I looked down in her lap, and noticed a blue notebook and a pen. 

"Mind if I look?" I asked, as I reached out for the book.

She simply shrugged and I took it. As I opened it and saw what she'd drawn in it, I got amazed. A portray of a woman, unknown to me, filled the page, and it looked so real that I almost thought, that if I touched the paper, I would feel her actually being there.

"Wow", I breathed.

"Please, it's not that good", Meekun said.

I looked up at her with big eyes, and she looked back at me with an unimpressed look on her face.

"Are you mad? This is very good. And you said you only draw doodles", I said, accusingly.

She shook her head and took the notebook away from me. Her eyes weren't red anymore, and her face was back to normal. She was beautiful. But she was clearly upset over something. I bit my lip as I hesitated, thinking over the reactions I might get. But then I did it anyway.

"Do you... Want to do something?" I asked her hesitantly.

She stared at me. Searching my face, as if I was tricking her. She was a very suspicious person, I gave her that.

"I don't know. Don't you have something to do?" she asked me, throwing the bags a fast glance.

"Well, I do have to drop the groceries of at home first, but then I'm free for the rest of the day", I answered honestly.

She hesitated a few more seconds, before she slowly nodded. 

"Okay. Fine", she agreed.

I gave her a huge smile, before I stood up. I offered her a hand up, but she got up by herself.

"It's going to be awesome", I promised her.

She gave me her small smile, that made my heart beat faster. It was definitely worth all the effort, just to see her smile.