Popular Girls

Smiling doesn't hurt, does it?

Meekun's POV

Even if I didn't stay very long at the party, I didn't regret that I went. I left when clock showed 8, but it wasn't without Jinki trying to stop me. It wasn't until I threatened him that I wouldn't work with him anymore, he let me go. My mother still sat infront of the tv when I got home, and I fastly went upstairs. I was still very mad at her, but I did miss her. Before my father's betrayal, we had been pretty close. Not extremely, but we talked about things in a way that was simple and easy. After the betrayal, she became anxious about everything, wanting to know everything that went on in my life. So I had shut her out, not being able to take all of her nagging. So, our relationhip had turned cold, and now, it was pure ice. She was ready to take my father back with open arms, and I would never be able to do that. 

The next day was very still. It was raining, so I couldn't go outside to escape my mother's silence. I was going to return the dress to Jinki when we worked on our project again. So I just lay on my bed, staring up at the ceiling the whole day. Even if I tried to push the thought away, it kept on popping up in my head. How would my life be when my father came back? He would be unempoyed and loathed. Nothing but a burden. My mother worked from home, running her own business via internet, so we would still have food on the table and hot water running. But it would be different. I would be forced to avoid my own parents in my house. It didn't really get any more sad than that. 

Monday. But it wasn't as heavy as it used to be. I got up and dressed myself, skipping breakfast. I got a little surprised when my mother mumbled goodbye before I left the house, but I shook it of me. It wasn't more than right that she did so. At school people were filling the corridors, and as usual I had to force my way through the crowd to my locker. I was looking for my book when I heard someone behind me clearing their throat. I turned around, and looked into the face of Yuri, one of the most popular girls at school.

"Hi", she said, and smiled.

I nodded. I was very unsure about why she was talking to me.

"So, I heard that you where at Jinki's house this saturday?" she said.

So that was why. Apparently, his friends couldn't keep quiet.

"Yes, I was", I retorted.

Yuri nodded in understanding. Silence fell over us, as I waited for her to proceed. She looked back at her friends, who was standing about three meters behind her, and then back at me.

"Well, I just wanted to say that you're welcome to sit with us at lunch if you want", she offered, shocking me.

I stared at her, and she seemed to become a little uncomfortable. Was she joking, or did she really offer me to sit with the popular girls? I wasn't flattered, exactly, I just found it a bit amazing that only because I had been at a party at a popular guy's house, I was allowed access to sit with the popular girls. 

"Uhm, okay", I finally got out.

"Great! See you then!" Yuri said, smiling with her teeth.

As she walked away, she tossed her hair back. She knew that she was pretty, and she wasn't shy about it. I just stood there for a while, taking everything in. Finally, I turned around to my locker, and the first thing I saw was the book i'd been looking for ealier.