Chapter 4

"I want a girl who is in it for me, not for the money, not for the fame"

You won’t need that money.” I didn’t look at him; he would be doing that sly grin he usually does. “And why is that?”  He stopped, got out his cell phone and sent a text.
       “Because, it’s on me of course, my treat, I am taking you out after all.” I was looking at him now, he had his eyes closed and was smiling, I didn’t know what to do so I just started to walk.
        After walking for a few minutes, I noticed he wasn’t at my side, I groaned. I turned to notice him sitting on my garden wall, looking up and down the street. “What are you doing? There’s a nice café that’s usually open until 8 around the corner, there will do. Not a lot of walking now get up.” I shouted at him, he simply shook his head and continued to look up and down the street, just what was he waiting for? I slumped over and slowly walked towards him and he looked at me. “You shouldn’t do that,” I sat beside him. “Do what?” He looked at me, “that walk,  you were just doing,” I scowled at him, “why’s that?” he did a dry laugh and leaned in closer to me, his face was just inches from mine, I was reluctant to pull back, but I did it anyway, but only a little.
       “Because, it’s not very lady-like, especially for somebody wearing such a pretty dress, it’s not very…” He puckered his lips, “it’s not very y, Lyd. And not to mention it didn't prove your point very well, didit?” He stared into my eyes, I opened my mouth but no sound came out. He laughed and continued to look up and down the street.

We sat there for a few minutes, he checked his phone several times, he was clearly getting impatient. He was cursing – in Korean – under his breath.
        “Am I not y anyway?!” I put my hand over my mouth, I didn't think before I said it, I just looked at the floor, from the corner of my eyes I saw his head turn to look at me.  “Lydie,” he put his hand on my leg, “Lydie, Lydie, Lydie… I don’t know how to say this without going out of personality,” he took his hand off my leg and was looking straight ahead, he closed his eyes, inhaled deeply and continued, “I think… you are, incredibly beautiful, Lydie.” I wanted to put my hand in his, he opened his eyes but he remained looking straight ahead, “I don’t think I’ve met a girl like you before, they’re usually like the girls on the bench,” he took a glance at me a laughed, I smiled in response and he looked at the floor.
        “They don’t want to know me, Lyd. Not Jiyong.” I didn’t fully understand what he was talking about, but I could hear the hurt in his voice as he spoke, so I didn’t question what he was saying. “Nobody ever does, they’re only interested in… the person they think I am, if that makes sense?” I nodded, secretly not having a clue.
“And that’s why I like you, Lydie, you don’t know about the person everyone thinks I am,” I was about to speak when a silver car pulled up in front of us with black tinted windows. “Not yet anyway,” he added before he got up. I wondered for a second what he meant by that but regarded it as he offered his hand to help me up