016

And You Are?

 

"What?" I asked. He turned my hand over in his.

"Your hand is burned." He looked down at my hand and so did I. My hand was red and had small burns here and there. I frowned and touched it with my other hand. I yelped as I felt the pain from my hand. Jonghyun chuckled. I looked up from my hand and glared at him. 

"What's so funny?" He chuckled more.

"You can make fire come out of your hands but yet you get burned with hot coffee." I smiled a little and felt myself get pulled by Jonghyun. "Come on, let's fix that." We came to a bathroom in the hallway. I leaned against the doorframe as he went looking for something in the drawers. He came to stand in front of me while he bandaged my hand. After a minute he was done and looked down to praise his work. 

"Jonghyun? Your shirt still has coffee on it." I said as he took my hand to look over the bandage. He looked at me and blinked a couple of times before looking down at his shirt. He grunted and took it off. Before he went to his room that was on the opposite side of the hallways, I looked at his abs then closed my eyes as I felt my face get hot. I heard him come back from his room.

"Why are your eyes closed?"I opened my eyes to see him standing in front of me with another shirt on. Then, he smirked. "Were you mesmerized by my amazing body?" I rolled my eyes at him. Psh, cocky much. 

"No." I said as he nodded. 

"Okay then." I yawned and covered my mouth with the hand that wasn't burnt. "You're tired? Maybe we should go to sleep." I nodded and let myself be dragged to his room. He sat me down on the edge of his bed and went to his closet. He took out a pair of sweatpants and a T-shirt. He handed them to me and I gave him a small smile. He left the room for me to change. 

"Are you done?" Jonghyun asked as he poked his head through the door. I nodded and he came in. He rubbed the back of his neck and pointed at his bed. "Well, you can sleep on the bed. I'll take the couch. Night." I opened my mouth to say that he should keep the bed and I'll sleep on the couch but he made a bee-line to the door and closed it. 

I pursed my lips and sat down on the bed. I stared out the window until light rain drops hit the window. I stood up and made my ways towards the door. I opened it and went down the hallway to the living room. I saw Jonghyun curled up in a ball. I smiled and walked to where I can see his face. I tilted my head as I knelt in front of him. He made a small growling noise and barked. Then, he started to resemble a dog. I mean, he already did before but you know, more than he already does. He growled again. I smiled again and stood up. I made my way the room and looked at the clock hanging on the wall. 2:13 I sighed and lied down on the bed staring at the ceiling. 

So much has happened in the past days, I can't even believe it. I turn to my side and close my eyes. Hopefully, I have a dreamless sleep. 

 

~~~~~~~

 

I looked around me. I'm in the same room I was in the first time that voice spoke to me. Wait, correction. The first time my dad spoke to me. I see the spot in the middle of the room where the light touches. I walk over there and stand there until I hear him talk.

"Hello Kibum. How are you?" I roll my eyes and cross my hands in front of my chest. 

"It's 'Key'. How am I? How would you feel if you were me right now, Dad?" I heard a chuckle.

"Okay, Key. If I were you, I would feel betrayed. Betrayed that no one ever told me this side of my family existed. But don't blame Apollo for that." Apollo? Who's- Ah. It's Onew Hyung. I forgot, "He had to tell you when the time was right. And that time would be now." I scoffed at him.

"Yeah sure, whatever." I heard him sigh.

"They're going to die if you don't help them, Kibum. They need you." 

"Look, I already told you that it's Key, not Kibum. And I don't know how to help 'them'." I told him. He made a tsk tsk noise. 

"Let me ask you this; How was my brother ruler of everything?" I shrugged. He sighed again. "Because, every time someone gets the powers of the elements, the balance gets unbalanced. Having those powers only means that it's a matter of time before the other gods disappear. Those powers unbalance everything. Because you are just that powerful. My brother became ruler because he gave up half of his powers. With only half of those powers, we will be balanced again. Do you understand?" I nodded.

"Good. I have to go. Being able to do this while being dead isn't easy. Goodbye Key. I hope you now know what to do." 

"Goodbye Dad." 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

I woke up to the smell of something being burned. I got out of the bed and went to the door. I opened it and heard Jonghyun singing. I rubbed my eyes with my good hand as I made my way to the kitchen. I saw Jonghyun making pancakes. 

"Why are you burning the pancakes?" I said and made Jonghyun jump up in surprise. I laughed at his expression. He glared at me then continued to cook.

"You scared me. And I only burned one of them for your information. There's some already down on the table. There's butter and syrup there too. If you want something else, just tell me."

"Yes chef." I saw him smile then sat down in one of the chairs. I reached for a pancake and the syrup. I poured some on the pancake and tried to cut it with the fork. Not good. My burned hand is my right hand and without that hand, I'm useless. The fork slid across the table and fell on the floor. Jonghyun turned and saw me. He smiled a little and turned off the stove with the last pancake on the spatula. 

"You need help." He came and sat next to me. He cut the pancake in pieces and fed me. I thanked him. 

"Oh, you have something there. Here." I reached up with his hand and rubbed the corner of my mouth to clean something off. I felt my face get hot and looked down at my hands. He chuckled. "So, did you sleep well? What did you dream of?" 

"I slept well. Uh, I didn't dream of anything." I lied. I hope he doesn't notice that. "And you? What did you dream of?"

"I've had better nights. Actually, I dreamed of dogs. Wait, did you hear barks last night?" He asked me. I nodded.

"Yes, I did. Did you turn into a puppy or something?" I chuckled at my own joke and soon Jonghyun did too. 

"No. I didn't. At least I think I didn't." He stared off into space thinking. I giggled.

"Cute." I muttered. He looked at me and gave me a goofy smile.

"Nope. You're the cute one here." I looked at him and saw that his cheeks turned a rosy shade of pink. I blinked and looked down at my hands again. 

"Jonghyun?" I looked up at Jonghyun who was playing around with a piece of pancake. 

"Mmmh?" I sighed. I thought about what my dad told me and came to a conclusion.

"I'll help you." Jonghyun looked at me confused.

"What?" I sighed again.

"I'll help you live. Take me to my house.”