Worlds apart

Fate

 

Sooyeon had heard a loud bang which she easily recognized as a gunshot just as she reached the forth floor. Running as fast as she could, she passed through the gap leading to the secret hallway. 
 
Her knees turned weak as she saw her best friend lying on the floor, blood seeping into the floor beneath her. She had been shot by the bullet. 
 
"Kamin!" Sooyeon let out a ear-piercing scream as she ran forward to see her close friend ashen-faced and looking weaker than ever. Her hand was stained with blood and she was being held by a dashing gentlemen whose eyes were sad and had lost its usual twinkle. 
 
"What happened to her, Baekhyun?" Sooyeon asked urgently as she held Kamin's other hand  that was stained with blood. 
 
"She got shot and I don't think you would like to know who shot her." Baekhyun replied, his voice devoid of any other emotion except sadness. 
 
Sooyeon felt the truth hit her like a thunderbolt. Kai. She glanced across the long hallway of the room, spotting the familiar stature of her boyfriend. She ran over with he long legs, her tears streaking across her face. 
 
"Sooyeon, I-" 
 
"How could you, Kai?" She pounded his chest as her tears fell like two small fountains,"how could you shoot her? She is my best friend, mind you?!" 
 
"How could you, Kai..." Sooyeon repeated it over and over again as she crumbled to her knees. Kai crouched down, guilt written all over his face. 
 
"I am sorry, Sooyeon. I didn't mean to. I didn't see her face and I am sorry. I am guilty enough. Damn it, I didn't know!" Kai kicked the wall angrily. He was angry at no one, but himself. Guilt nibbled at his heart as he saw his girlfriend crying, his best friend breaking down and his girlfriend's best friend dying. 
 
"Kamin... She is... She is going to die soon and I don't know what to do. What can I do, Kai?" Sooyeon sobbed into his jacket as she wrapped her arms around his waist. She did not care that Kai and Baekhyun were their enemy, yet their closest friend. All she could think about was that her friend was on the brink of death. 
 
"Shush, its okay." Kai tried comforting Sooyeon when he saw Baekhyun signaling him over. 
 
"Hey, Baekhyun is calling us. Come on." Kai spoke softly as he helped Sooyeon up, putting a arm around her shoulder comfortingly.
 
Sooyeon sobbed as she saw a small smile on Kamin's face. Kamin held out a hand and she took in, grasping it firmly. 
 
"Sooyeon, don't cry." Kamin chided,between coughs.
 
Sooyeon bent down,"how can I not, Kamin? I know you are acting strong even until now." 
 Sooyeon wept. 
 
Kamin simply smiled as she rested her head on Baekhyun's shoulder. "Be strong, Sooyeon. Especially when, you know, I am not around. Kai, please take care of Sooyeon and your Hyung. Take care of Baekhyun, okay?" Baekhyun Kamin's hair affectionately though his eyes were doleful. 
 
"Baekhyun?" Kamin knew her time had dwindled to the last minute or so. 
 
"Yes?" 
 
"Can you," Kamin inhaled deeply,"say...say my name aga..again?" 
 
Baekhyun swallowed before he said her name," Kamin ah." 
 
A sweet smile bloomed on Kamin's dry lips. 
 
"Baekhyun." She held his hand with the last of her remaining strength,"I just want you to know that I..." 
 
Her hand fell limp just as she uttered the last two words.
 
"Love you."
 
Her eyes fell shut.