The chase

Fate

 

"Hyung, that was awesome." Kai clapped his friend on the shoulder. It was late at night already but the guys were having a little chat as they patrolled the cruise ship for any suspicious activity. They were dressed in black to camouflage themselves with the darkness. They wore masks which they had pulled down for convenience to talk.
 
"Thanks." Baekhyun muttered, walking along the hallways. His mind had been preoccupied with Kamin's mysterious answer to his last question. She didn't even give him an answer. What does a smile even mean? He ruffled his hair, frustrated.
 
"Kai, why do you think Kamin would bit off that last bit of pepero stick?" He murmured.
 
Kai looked at him quizzically,"I don't know actually. I don't know girls very well but if I had to give you an answer..."Kai tapped his finger on his chin, thinking hard. 
 
"I think..." Kai slowly said,"there is a possibility that Kamin likes you too." Baekhyun's face lit up,"really? You think so?" 
 
"Yeah, I think so. I mean...she should know that if she bit off the pepero, she would kiss you right?" Kai bluntly said. Baekhyun's face reddened. 
 
"I..." 
 
Kai chuckled,"you are seriously in love." 
 
"Hush, we are on duty. We have to keep a low profile, Kai!" Baekhyun chided,"but seriously... You think she likes me?" 
 
"Yeah," Kai lowered his volume,"if not, why would a pretty girl like her wanna kiss you?" Baekhyun shot a look at Kai.
 
"She's not that kind, I can assure you. She isn't that kind of girl; she is different." Baekhyun murmured thoughtfully as they reached the entrance of the hotel lobby. 
 
"As in...?" Kai asked.
 
"When you first look at her, she seems like an ordinary pretty girl you see on the street. But if you understand her a little better and talk to her a bit more, you will find that she is more than a pretty girl. She is smart, funny and adorable in her own way. She can be fun and playful when she wants to and she can even be as flirty as I am. And beneath that elegance and seemingly strong facade, she is softhearted and she needs someone to care for her. I always have this feeling that she has a totally different side of her that she doesn't let us see. " Baekhyun caught himself before he would start rattling on,"in any case, she is...different." 
 
Kai stared at his best friend,"you've changed, Baekhyun." 
 
"Hmm?" 
 
"You really do like her, like in a serious way. You are not the usual flirty Baekhyun I know. You really like her!" Kai exclaimed.
 
"Was I really that flirty?" Baekhyun scowled a little.
 
"That's not the point, Baekhyun. You really like her. Number one, you really look out for her and care about her. Number two, I can see the affection in your eyes when you look at her. You literally glow in happiness." Kai said seriously,"you are in love, Baekhyun." 
 
"I am in love..." Baekhyun said the words carefully. Kai is right, I am in love. I do like her. She's not like other girls. She is special. 
 
Just as Baekhyun was gazing towards the ship deck, he caught sight of two figures moving in the darkness towards the ship deck. Quickly, he brought Kai's attention to the two figures at the ship deck. Putting back their masks, the both of them crouched down and moved stealthily towards the two figures with well trained speed. 
 
As they crept nearer, Baekhyun signaled for Kai to go behind him. Baekhyun looked closer at the two figures. Female. Baekhyun noted as he observed their feminine figure. They were an experienced pair. They knew to dress in black and they moved gracefully without a sound across the ship deck. 
 
"Baekhyun, the crystal is hidden around the ship deck!" Kai whispered. Baekhyun held a finger to his lips, narrowing his eyes at the two females. They were definitely suspicious. Baekhyun cast his gaze towards the ship deck which was brightened up by the pale violet light that came from the lamps that hung from the walls. He knew clearly that the crystal was in one of the lamps. Luckily, they had hidden the crystal well among the other lights. Mr Choi had made sure each of the lamps had the same intensity of brightness as the glow from the crystal.
 
Baekhyun turned his attention back to the two females. He was shocked that they had managed to locate the exact location of the crystal and was heading there right towards the crystal. In the shorter female's hand, she held a stool and an opaque bag. The other was apparently the leader, giving silent instructions to her accomplice. The leader stood on the stool and she placed her hand into the lamp and plucked out the crystal. 
 
"Kai, get ready. We have to go after them. Go retrieve the bag from them and I will be right behind you.Stay alert and watch out for my signal." Baekhyun muttered. Kai nodded, fixing his gaze on the two females who had managed to get hold of the crystal. 
 
Retrieving the opaque bag from her accomplice, she placed the crystal into the opaque bag,preventing its glow from being seen. 
 
"Now." Baekhyun said and Kai immediately ran to the leader who was holding the opaque bag, wrestling her onto the floor. 
 
The two were undoubtedly shocked and taken back in surprise. The leader struggled as she tried to squirm out of Kai's grasp. The other female pounced onto Kai though she got thrown off rather forcefully by Baekhyun. Having the other female out of the way, Kai snatched the bag out of her hands with much ferocity. 
 
"Run!" Baekhyun shouted as he fought against the shorter female. Despite her height, she could fight. Baekhyun gripped her hands,"who are you?" 
 
She did not answer but instead broke free of baekhyun's grip and tripped him with her feet before running after Kai. 
 
 Baekhyun, analyzing the situation, bolted towards the taller one. The taller one wore a mask and all Baekhyun could catch a glimpse of was her eyes that widened as he advanced towards her. She immediately ran towards the hotel lobby with amazing speed. Baekhyun immediately gave chase. 
 
"Stop right there!" Baekhyun shouted against his mask that muffled his voice. The figure running in front of him ran even faster, running along the hallways of the ship. She took a left turn and ran down the stairs. Baekhyun followed her, right on her heels. She turned back and sensing that she was going to get caught, she jumped over the railings and landed on her feet soon after. She immediately pushed open the door that led to the hotel rooms on the forth floor and by the time Baekhyun reached the forth floor, she was gone. 
_______
Kamin closed the door behind her. Taking off her mask, she breathed deeply. Never had she been so flustered on her mission and no one had ever chased her as quickly as that guy did. No one could match her speed, until now. 
 
Kamin sighed, plopping herself down on her bed. They were so close to the crystal. She should have been more wary of her surroundings. 
 
Kamin sat in silence for the next few minutes, replaying the scene when the mystery guy chased after her. She almost couldn't get away. 
 
"Stop right there!" 
 
Kamin shook her head. His voice rang in her head. It sounded so familiar but it couldn't be anyone she possibly knew. She was always the one who had a secret identity and no one knew her identity except for Sooyeon of course. Sooyeon! 
 
Kamin looked at the wall clock, a wave of worry washing over her. Where are you, Sooyeon? Please be safe.
 
The door suddenly swung open forcefully and Sooyeon came rushing in. She shut the door behind her, gasping for air. 
 
"Sooyeon!" Kamin enveloped a sweaty Sooyeon in a hug,"I was so worried! Where were you?" 
 
"I ran after the guy who took our crystal but he was too fast for me. I am sorry." Sooyeon drooped her head low. 
 
"It's okay... We weren't prepared for that sudden attack by those two guys." Kamin sighed, taking Sooyeon's hand in hers comfortingly.
 
"Yeah, I guess so. But Kamin, I promise I will get the crystal the next time." Sooyeon squuezed kamin's hands tightly before she exclaimed in horror.
 
"Your ring! The couple ring. It's gone!" 
 
"Oh no..." Kamin held her hand up, examining it. She pouted,"I think it must have dropped off when the guy snatched the bag from my hand." 
 
"Aw man. You liked that ring a lot." Sooyeon sighed.
 
"It's okay. What's not mine will never be mine." Kamin sighed,"never mind. We should wash up and get some sleep. Don't dwell over tonight too much." 
 
Sooyeon nodded,"night then." 
 
"Nights."