A beating

Fate

 

Baekhyun shielded himself with his bruised arms from the heavy blows that kept coming. It was morning but both Baekhyun and Kai were called out from their room to 'pay a little visit' to their superior, Mr Choi.
 
"Mr Choi, please stop. Hyung couldn't do anything about it." Kai begged from the side, trying to stop the heavy punches that Mr Choi aimed at Baekhyun.
 
"Scram, Kai. He was the one who lost sight of the thieves." Mr Choi snarled as he punched Baekhyun squarely in the face. Baekhyun calmly wiped away the trickle of blood from his mouth,"mr choi...please, let me explain. I tried my best-" 
 
"Shut up. Is this really your best?" Mr choi kicked Baekhyun right in the stomach, causing Baekhyun to double over in pain. Baekhyun inhaled deeply, trying to catch his breath.
 
"Mr Choi, please. Don't do this. We will try better, we promise." Kai spoke urgently.
 
"Kai, don't you interfere in what I do,"Mr Choi growled,"Baekhyun must be punished or he would not buck up. He is the leader and if he can't even catch a thief, there must be something wrong." 
 
"Mr Choi, please. She was really fast." Kai tried again.
 
"Kai, go out now. Leave us alone. Mr Choi is right, I should receive the punishment." Baekhyun finally spoke. Mr Choi nodded,"Baekhyun, at least you still have some sense." 
 
"But-" 
 
"Don't, Kai. Just go." Baekhyun spoke, willing Kai to leave. If Kai didnt' leave, he would be punished as well. Kai sighed and took one last look at Baekhyun before exiting.
 
As soon as Kai left, Mr Choi punched Baekhyun another time, harder than the previous ones. 
 
"What are you even doing, Byun Baekhyun? It is already the sixth day of the cruise and the crystal was nearly stolen by two...two females?!" Mr Choi screamed, the veins on his neck clearly visible.
 
Baekhyun simply hung his head low, averting his gaze. He knew better than to talk back.
 
"Baekhyun, explain yourself. Why can't you be of more use? Kai seems to be better than you now. He could retrieve the crystal. The crystal is safe because he could get the crystal back from those thieves. Luckily, he outran the other thief and hurriedly passed the crystal back to me and now, the crystal will be kept in another location." Mr Choi tapped his foot on the floor, looking down at Baekhyun who knelt on the floor. 
 
"I am sorry, Mr Choi. I will try harder." Baekhyun fixed his gaze on the ground. 
"And Baekhyun, do you know what I am angry about? It is that there are two thieves out there and they will try again to locate the crystal and steal it. You know thieves. They use unscrupulous means and ways to get what they want. They are a ruthless bunch of people. I shall emphasis once again that we are the good guys. We are the ones who help prevent those from doing bad and stop them before they can do anything. And so if you ever see the thieves again, you know what to do." Mr choi took out a gun from his drawer,"take this and shoot, either of you. It is the best and most effective way to get rid of them." 
 
"Yes, Mr Choi. I won't let you down. " Baekhyun answered mechanically.
 
"You better keep to that promise, Baekhyun. You know what will happen if you don't." Mr Choi glared menacingly at Baekhyun as he cracked his knuckles. 
 
"Yes, Mr Choi." Baekhyun gritted his teeth. 
 
Mr Choi pulled Baekhyun up and placed a firm hand on his shoulder. "Baekhyun, you know why I have to do this. You must understand that the crystal is priceless." 
 
Baekhyun nodded silently. 
 
"Now go and get your act together. Stay alert because they may take action again. And clean yourself up. You don't want to have anyone suspecting you."