Lights off

Welcome to B2ST airline :)

Omma!” Dongwoon cried beside a pale looking women lying on the bed. “Jebal... Don’t leave us behind. We need you.” He buried his face in his mum hand.

His mum turned to him and patted his hand. “Miyane...” She said slowly. Her eyes barely open as she smiled weakly.

I stood beside them, as Dongwoon’s brother stood the other side of the bed, clutching on her mum’s hand.

Oh please, don’t die!

I cried inside. A mother is dying in front of me. The mother of someone I know.

Suddenly, tears rolled on my cheek. I can’t hold it anymore. I imagine if it was my mum who was lying there. Helpless. Dying. My world will be empty, without any care and love from a mother.

Dongwoon’s mother had her eyes on me. Her eyes line wrinkled. Her pale lips curved as she smiled at me. “Oh...” she looked at Dongwoon, “You never bring any girl before. She must be your girlfriend.” She smiled at me again.

Dongwoon looked up, “Oh-she’s not—“

“You must take good care of her, arraso?” his mum interrupts, turning to me, “Please. Take care of my little boy. He might be grumpy sometime, but I know he has a soft heart.”

“Oh mum,” Dongwoon pouted,” I’m not grumpy.” He sniffed.

The night was cold. The rain poured down, soaking the road. The room was now silent, only dripping of rain drops on the window can be heard.

 Dongwoon’s mum had passed away. Sunday. 11:47pm.  

 

............................

I was lying on the bed, feeling gloomy and uncomfortable. What should I do? His mum thought that I’m his girlfriend and wanted me to take care of him.

The night was restless as I blankly stared at the ceiling for hours.

The rain was still pouring down.

Suddenly, a sound woke me up from my delusion.

It was Dongwoon.

He persuaded me to stay at his house since it was already past midnight and there’s no cab is on service.

“Mika?” I heard Dongwoon said. He lied on the floor near my bed. “Are you awake?”

“Yes.” I rolled my body on his bed and looked down at him. “What is it?”

I’m night blinded. Amazingly, I can see him through the dark. His eyes sparkled with tears. His cheek soaked.

“My mum must be in Heaven now. Maybe she’ll meet appa there. Should I be happy?” His voice cracked, sniffing. Then he chuckled, “I shouldn’t be so selfish, huh.”

I stayed silent. It must be hard to lose a family.

I looked at him, as he stared on the ceiling. He talked about his memories with his mother.  At his first school day, his mum had cooked a lovely breakfast for him to make a good start.

The day of his graduation day, his mum hug him in front of his friends. It was embarrassing, he said. But he loves it.

There is nothing that can compare to a mother’s love.

We stayed silent for a moment.

Suddenly, Dongwoon stood up and facing me. Our face was only inches away. His breath warmed up my face.

 I froze.

“Wh-what are you doing?” I pulled back, blushing.

He grabbed on my hand, pool of tears started to form on his eyes. “Mika... I--”