Chapter 2

Working for Acknowledgement

 

 “Ugh, how embarrassing,” I muttered in exasperation, “I’m alright. You should go before you miss the bus.”

He looked at me in what seemed to be amused eyes and I quickly avoided his gaze as I heard a small laugh escape from his thin aero shaped lips.

“It’s ok. I came here to talk to you,” he said in his clear, serious voice. Confused, I met his eyes requesting further explanation.

Did he just say what I thought I heard or was I just being delusional? But then again, my hearing has always failed me, especially at crucial times like this. I should really stop listening to music set to its loudest volume.

“Jieun, right?” he asked, snapping me off my thoughts.

“Oh, err- umm... yea-“ I started to stutter only to be interrupted.

“YAHHH! JIEUN-AH!” a loud, crisp voice shouted.

I turned around to see the vivid orange hair color of a boy who had rudely interrupted me. Annoyed, I tried my best to look composed and shifted my attention from Taeyang.

“Yes, Yoseob-ssi?” I smiled with the most polite expression I can manage at the moment. “Can I help you?”

“AHAHAHAHAHA!” He laughed loudly. His eyes narrowed into slits while he flashed the brightest smile, clearly showing that he’s currently amused. “Why are you so lady-like and formal all of a sudden? You look so stiff too, stop it! It’s giving me goose bumps,” he explained while making a disconcerted face. “Oh! Who’s this? Your boyfriend? Wait, isn’t he the guy you always-“

“Yoseob!” I shouted and covered his mouth before he can say anything else. He gave me a surprised and annoyed look but I paid no attention. “I know you need something. You wouldn’t come running here still dressed with a Cube Café uniform if you didn’t,” I said giving him a warning look as I removed my hand from his mouth.

“Eew,” he wiped his mouth before continuing. “Anyway, Wooyoung-hyung asked me to bring you back. He said that if you cover for Dongwoonie’s shift tonight you can have the Saturday morning shift that you’ve been begging for since last week. I honestly don’t understand why you’ld give up your weekend morning just to serve coffee to your so called ‘soul mate’.” He rambled on and on while my eyes widened in surprise.

“Aish,” I muttered under my breath. “Arraseo,” I said, giving up. Cube Café has been short in staff for quite a while now and the customers continue to increase, giving the employees a tough time. Wooyoung-sunbae has been working since the opening of the shop, way before I even started my shift and with Dongwoon giving a no-show, he’ll have no choice but to continue working till the closing of the shop. Being the kind-hearted person that I am, I gave in and decided to take Dongwoon’s shift. Plus, Wooyoung-sunbae has always been there for me when I needed him. It’s just about time that I repay him and give him his deserved rest.  Just then a short cough interrupted my thoughts. Crap! How can I forget about Taeyang ?!

“Ah, oppa! I’m really sorry!” Oppa?! Really now Jieun?! You just met the guy and now you call him oppa?! WHAT THE HELL?! “Err- I mean, Taeyang-ssi I’m really sorry we got interrupted,” I say momentarily as I flashed Yoseob a glare, “umm… what was it again that you needed to tell me?” I blushed.

“Hmm…it’s alright. I think it can wait. I’ll just catch up with you in school tomorrow.” He smiled. “Oh, and go ahead and call me oppa. I really don’t mind” He continued. Moments after, the screeching of tires can be heard and a large blue bus came into view. “There’s the bus, I’ll see you at school Jieun-ah!” He flashed a smile while waving goodbye.

I unconsciously let out a sigh as I watched his masculine figure retreat to the bus. Yoseob, on the other hand, kept his eyes on me the entire time, watching me as I remained in my fantasy world with Taeyang.

**YOSEOB POV**

The numbers 4:15 were displayed in green as I glanced at my watch. I have another 15 minutes until my shift starts again. I should really start heading back to the café but my eyes seem to have a mind of its own. Without me knowing, I’ve been entranced by the girl before me as I studied her features. Her dark wavy hair falls just on her chest, giving the perfect frame for her oval-shaped face. She has on a dazed expression, her small thin lips opened slightly and her eyes twinkling while looking afar. My hand, without conscious control, advanced forward. All I wanted was to brush my skin along the outline of her face and feel her luscious and moist lips on the back of my hand. Just then, a strong vibration was felt on my thigh and suddenly I was back on an alert mode.

“YAHH!” I voiced out, “Jieun-ah!!” For a second, I was almost beginning to fall into Jieun’s famous innocent charm. Screw that. I have myself a freakin’ girlfriend and trust me, she’s WAAYYY cuter hotter than Jieun.

“Oww,” she cringed, “you screamed in my ear Yoseob.” Her face crinkled as she gave a cute pout.

“Sorry,” I coughed as I regained my composure. “Look, I gotta head back to the café. My shift starts in 13 minutes.”

“Oh, arraseo,” she smiled. “Let’s go together!”

“Aniyo,” I smirked, “you walk slow.” I my heels as I began to make my way back to the cafe.

“Jerk,” I heard her mumble. “AHH!”

Surprised, I turned around to see her cheeks flushed in pink. I followed her line of sight and realized her heel has yet to be unstuck.

“AHAHAHAHA!” I burst out. “Bye Jieun!”

“YANG YOSEOB!!!” she pleaded but I still ignored her. “Help me out just this once, eoh?”

To tell you the truth, I was actually planning to help her out because honestly, Wooyoung-hyung will kill me if I come back to the café without her. However, seeing her begging made me want to more.  I continued to walk further. With each stride, her voice grew more desperate. I was already a good ten metres distance from IU when I heard a faint sniffle which then grew into a sound that imitated a hushed cry. Truly alarmed, I rushed to her side.

“Mianheyo, I was just kidding. Don’t cry, I’ll help you out ok?”

I reached out my hand and carefully lifted her chin. My eyes searched her face and landed to meet her eyes. I almost felt guilty as I saw tears surround her waterline. My finger was about to go up and her cheek when I noticed twitch and her eyes slowly changing shape. I rolled my eyes. I know exactly what she’s thinking. Something’s wrong and I know it. However, she’ll wave off whatever suspicions I have by throwing teasing gestures.  She’s done this before millions of times whenever she gets into accidents while we’re working.

“Hahaha, I’m ok. What, you think I was crying just because you left me? Oh, and I never would have thought that you had a soft side.” She then paused as my hands slowly moved to her ankle. With much care, I guided her to stretch out her legs in order for me to easily manage her foot. However, she squirmed, once again denying the fact that she’s in need of some help.

“Aish, just stay still will you?” Slowly, I turned her ankle only for her to let out a quiet squeal. Wondering why I caused her discomfort, I raised the ends of her jeans to see the bright red color of the patch of skin around her ankle. Ahh, so that’s why she was teary. She must have twisted her ankle trying to get her foot unstuck so she can catch up to me. “Sorry,” I mumbled as I finally managed to get her foot unstuck. She got up and dusted herself off, pretending not to be hurt as she gave me a smile. I sighed, she still thinks that I didn’t see the injury on her ankle.

“Gomawo Yoseob. Kaja!” She took a step forward and I noticed as she was almost caught off balance and her expression showed discomfort. However, she regained her composure and pretended to walk comfortably despite her light tendency to limp her right leg.

“Yah! You’re shift’s about to start anytime now! Do you want to be late?!” she scolded and I sighed. She still wants to fight me in this condition.

“Get on my back,” I mumbled.

“Why? I’m perfectly fine. Is this your blatant attempt of flirting with me?”

“Aish, I’m not! Who do you think I am?! Geez, just get on my back will you?! I seriously won’t make it in time to my shift with you limping.” Without a word she walked back and slowly made her way back towards my direction.  I looked down on the ground as she hesitatingly wrapped her arms around my neck. Making sure she was secured, I hoisted her up and grabbed unto both her legs.

“Thanks,” I heard her say faintly with close to my ear.

 As she tried to move away from me, brushed against the nape of my neck, sending a shiver down my spine. What the- am I nervous?! Pshh nahh, it’s the breeze that made me shiver. Yup, that seems to be a legitimate reason….Holy , I must be crazy. Why am I explaining to myself now? Tell me, have I gone mentally unstable?!

“Aigoo, how can a girl weigh this much?!” I complained, diverting my attention to something else.

“What did you say?!” she screeched into my ears. Soon enough, she was kicking her legs in the air and tightening her hold around my neck while I struggled to keep both of us balanced. “Take that back! You little-“ We were two steps into the entrance of the café and so I  tried my best to keep myself calm and ignore all her insults. My fingertips were almost touching the entrance of the café when a soft and familiar voice called out my name. “Yoseob-oppa…” 

 

 

 

Hoped you liked the second chapter :D If there's any confusion, feel free to ask. Comment and subscribe :)