Chapter 19

Working for Acknowledgement

 

Slowly, I made my way back as I waved goodbye to the receptionist. I was actually hesitant to leave because of the incident with my hospital bill. It felt wrong to just accept someone else’s money without saying thanks. Especially because I feel that that person may just be Yoseob. Immediately, I whipped out my phone in search for his contact. Quickly I dialed his number in order to clear up the situation.

“Hello?” his voice beamed over the phone. Over the background I can hear cheers and hollers and I wondered what he was doing.

“It’s me, Jieun.”

“Oh! Jieun-ah! What’s up? Did Dongwoon not come to pick you up?” The background noises continue to blast from his side and I struggled to hear what he was saying.

“Ah, no! It’s nothing like that!” I responded, flustered.

“Oh, then what’s up?” slowly, the noises begin to falter and I concluded that he had probably moved to a quieter area.

“I just wanted to say thanks.”

“For the ride? Yeah, don’t worry ‘bout it! Dongwoon needed to get some medicine anyway. Look out for him, will you? He gets really lonely when he’s sick. He wants that special attention,” he chuckles.

“Yeah for sure,” I giggle. “But, that’s not it. Thanks for covering for the bill,” I say sincerely.

“Oh, that,” his voice falters. “It was my fault anyway.” I stopped in my tracks. There’s an underlying sadness to his tone, but I couldn’t quite put my hand on it. Maybe, something wrong has gone wrong over his side of the phone?

“Ahniyo!” I began to panic. “It was mine!” The line went silent and for a second I thought that he already hung up.

“Jieun-ah,” he states with no expression in his tone. “I got to go now. Ask Dongwoon to drive safe for me, ‘k?”

“Huh? Alright, I’ll tell him for you. ‘Bye,” I say, flustered after he ended the conversation so abruptly.  I held my phone close to my ear, unsure whether or not to hang up already. What seemed to be a hoarse gasp escapes the other line and the dial tone follows soon after. Somehow, an anxious uncertainty crept up within up after the scratchy sound. Unwillingly, I lowered my arm and brought the dimming screen of the phone in front of me. After pressing end, I hesitated on what to do next. My thoughts were scrambling, but all had something in common. Something was up.

**YOSEOB POV**

I didn’t know what to do and how to react. My limbs have gone stiff, and my arms remain still beside my pockets. My mind commanded me to put a foot forward or even utter a single word but my body refused to do either of those. I remained unmoving, hidden behind the shadows of the red brick wall that separates me from the commotion just two metres away. Never have I felt so blank before in my life as I helplessly stared at the fight.

The man who was pushed up against the wall moved just slightly. He was quiet, as if he didn’t care what was being done to him. His shadowed face turned towards my direction but not enough to meet my eyes. A punch lands on his stomach, and I flinch. I stepped forward and was instantly caught off guard when I saw a familiar face.

“Doojoon-hyung!” I call in surprise. The man who held a fist angled straight at the victim immediately turned to me. I jumped back when he did so. His face has never been so infuriated.

“You’re lucky,” Doojoon hissed at the man before him.  His fisted hand slowly drops to his side but he continues to grip tightly on his collar with the other. Doojoon’s eyes narrows to glare at victim. “Don’t even think that I’m done with you,” he spat and forcefully straightens his shirt. “Leave now.” He mutters through his teeth, in vain efforts of keeping it being heard from me. Immediately, the man lowers his beanie and fixes his jacket. Then, as if testing Doojoon’s patience, he slowly walked away with his head held high and with light footsteps.

I shift my feet uncomfortably as Doojoon continues to eye the retreating figure angrily. Finally, after the figure disappeared, Doojoon turns to me with undivided attention. His face still appears agitated and I felt fear creep up on me. After a while, I heard a cough escape his lips and he gives me a piteous look.

With a shaken voice, I managed to speak up. “Hyung, that couldn’t have been Junhyungie right?”

Doojoon sighs heavily as if he was too burdened to respond. My breath hitches as I waited for him. “Yoseob-ah, Hyuna…” he trails off. He was avoiding my alarmed gaze, irritating me. “Break up with her.”