Chapter 9

Working for Acknowledgement

 

“Jieun-ah?! Gwenchana?!” I heard the same voice from earlier. Only this time, panic was clear in his voice. I remained silent and refused to move from my position as the pain practically took control over me. My grip on the railing tightened while I felt numb on my leg. By this time, a pair of feet stood before me and I felt fingers trying to pry my hold on the railing. Unable to think things through, I unconsciously obeyed and let go of the stairs railing. I stared as his hand as he gave mine a gentle squeeze. Then, I felt him stretch out my arm and wrap it around his shoulders as he moved to my side. While keeping a tight hold of my hand, I felt his other arm wrap around my waist.

“I’ll help you down the stairs, ok? Or would you rather go on my back?” I finally took a glance at him as he spoke to me.

“No,” I whispered and attempted to move forward but his hold on my waist thought otherwise. However, he did take it as a signal and took one step down the stairs.

“Careful,” he says as he half carries me down step by step. As we reached the bottom, he guided for me to take a seat and I did as follows without any complaints. I remained quiet, not knowing what to say and continued to look down.

“Umm…thanks for helping me out,” I managed to say after a while.

“Oh yeah, no problem,” He says while rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

“Listen, I heard from Taeyang about the dance,” I began hesitantly.

“Oh, that! You don’t have to accept it if you’re bothered by it,” he averted his eyes from and suddenly, I felt guilty.

 “Daesung-ssi…I—” I stopped mid-sentence and I allowed myself to think. What’s the harm in going with him? I mean, although I’d prefer to go to the dance with Taeyang, going with Daesung wouldn’t be that bad now, would it? Besides, he’s great friends with Taeyang. If I were to become close with him, I would be one step closer to Taeyang. I nodded at the thought. I’ve made up my mind. “About the dance, I’d love to go with you,”

“Awesome!” he exclaimed as I laughed at his outburst.

I was about to get up from my seat, as only little throbbing remained on my ankle from the recent accident but then I saw an approaching Yoseob. I respectably gave a slight bow to his direction. I mean he is still a sunbae even though he treats me wrongly.

“You guys shouldn’t be slacking,” he clicked his tongue in disapproval as he headed towards the stacked boxes.

“Ah ahniyo! We aren’t slacking off. Jieun hurt herself earlier and I was just helping her out,”Daesung informed and waved his hand frantically, denying Yoseob’s accusation.

“Hurt herself? What happened?” Yoseob asked while hoisting up two boxes to carry back to the vehicle.

“She slipped and hurt her ankle,” Daesung answered and moved his attention back at me. “Speaking of which, we should take a look at your ankle Jieun-ah.”

“Ahniyo!” I rejected almost too quickly and Daesung jerked back in surprise. Yoseob, on the other hand, just raised his eyebrow at me. “I mean, I’m fine. I can handle it.”

“Arraeso. Daesung will you help me grab another of our boxes? Grab two if you can,” Yoseob called after his shoulder as he left the site.

“Are you sure you don’t need help?” Daesung asked and I nodded. “Well then, I’ll see you around,” he smiled at me as he reluctantly left while carrying a box.

**YOSEOB POV**

I reached the truck and placed both boxes on the back of the truck. Everything that needed to be packed was all set and ready to be brought back to the university, with the exception of the remaining boxes which Daesung will be bringing over. While waiting, I climbed onto the back of the truck and arranged the materials in order to make room for the last two boxes. Satisfied, I headed back to Ms. Kim to report my accomplishment. I looked around and spotted her talking to a lady that was most likely around her age. In the most discreet manner, I walked up to them and gave a slight bow.

“Excuse me for interrupting. Ms. Kim I’ve moved all of the boxes to the truck,” I inform her.

“Ah, have you? Thanks Yoseob,” she gave me a smile for the first time that day. “Then I guess we’re all set to go. Can you tell the others we’re done as well?”

“Deh,” I bowed as I was about to excuse myself.

“Thanks again Yoseob. You’re free to go home after,” she told me as I left with an acknowledging smile.

I took a glance at my watch and noticed that it was only 2:45 p.m. I had plenty of time before my scheduled meeting with my boys later at 7. Contented, I took my time and skipped happily to search for my colleagues. I continued my search in the parking lot looking for Daehyun, the other student who came with me and that other guy who I found earlier. He seems to be quite a tricky guy to find since he blends in with the rest of the students quite well. Frustrated, I decided to change routes and head somewhere else with the hope of locating him.

“DAEHYUN!!!” I shouted, desperate to find him. Really, I’m not a very patient person. Since I’ve spent at least 5 minutes searching around the parking lot already, I decided it’s time to take desperate measures and just scream his name as loud as possible.

“DAEHYUN-AHH!!!” I cried out loud for another time. By this time, a number of people have already turned their heads and have given me the dirtiest looks possible. Embarrassed, I bowed to them and finally stopped the shouting. I sighed heavily and glanced at my watch impatiently. It was 2:55 now and I really wanted to finish this as soon as possible. If I was able to get out by around 3:00 then I can perhaps stop by and give Hyuna the surprise visit that I’ve owed her for quite some time now.

Driven by a new motivation, I began running and finally spotted a brown-haired young man walking arm-to-arm with another girl. I smirked at the scene, knowing exactly how to get back at him for being difficult to find. As stealthily as possible, I approached the two and positioned myself behind Daehyun carefully as not to be spotted by him or the girl with him. Then, smiling ear to ear, I poked his sides forcefully while cheerfully calling his name in the highest pitch I could manage.

“AHH! Hyungg!!” Daehyun winced as he covered his right ear. “Why did you sneak up on me?!” he whined.

“Sorry,” I chuckled while locking his head around my arm.

“Hyung, stop!” Daehyun complained as he tried to release himself from my hold. I frowned at his action. “I’m helping noona! I can’t handle you right now,” Intrigued as to who exactly this ‘noona’ might be I took a quick glance at the girl beside him who was looking somewhere else.I almost jumped in surprise when I saw Jieun.

“Oh? Waeyo? What help does she need?” I asked, genuinely curious.

“Nothing hyung,” he sighed, still trying to get rid of my arm around him.

“Are you sure? I don’t trust you Daehyun-ah~” I sang in his ears, practically enjoying the annoyed look on his face.

“Aish,” he muttered really softly so I wouldn’t hear but I still did. “Hyung, can you please leave?”

“Noopeeee!” I pinched his cheeks and grinned when he gave me a glare. “Anyway, you still haven’t answered my question,” I pouted at him.

“Fine.” He answered, defeated. “But first, hyung must tell me why he’s here.” He raised his chin and turned his head away from me.

“Noooo, Daehyun should go first!” I argued like a child.

“Hyunnggg!” he whined to which I found entertaining.

“Daehyun-ahh!” I mimicked him and we continued to argue.

“Thanks Daehyun-ah,” Jieun interrupted in order to steal Daehyun’s attention from me. “I’ll be leaving. See you at home!” She called after and I stood curious as to what she said at the end of her sentence. See you at home? In what sort of relationship do these two have that they see each other casually at each other’s homes?

“See hyung! You made her leave!” Daehyun complained and stomped his feet in annoyance. I raised my eyebrow as my curiosity got the better of me. “Why are you looking at me like that?” he gave me a cautious look.

“Are you and Jieun lovers?” I asked him boldly as he gave a long stare. Then, without notice, he burst out a loud laugh.

“Hahaha… I wish so too hyung!” he joked with me however his response only gave me uncertain anxiety. “Jieun-noona’s really pretty,” he confessed with a love-smitten face, “but I’ll only forever be her dongsaeng,” he finishes with a sad expression. “That’s why I’m really mad at you hyung! She finally agreed to let me be the mature one and then you have to shoo her away,” he gave me a nasty stare which I tried my best to take seriously. “Now, what’s so important that Jieun-noona had to come second?” he grumbled at me.

“Sorry Daehyun!” I tried my best to sound sincere but to no avail. “I just wanted to get back at you for being so hard to find,” I reasoned with him but he rolled his eyes in annoyance.

“And why were you trying to find me?” he asked in monotone.

“Yah! Is that how you talk to your hyung?” I scolded him.

“Hyungg… I didn’t mean it. I’m just…really mad at you right now. I mean Jieun-noona left because of you and it just really ruined my mood. You know how it is, especially when Hyuna-noona has to leave you because of your schedules…”he rambled on and on trying to sympathize his way out of disrespecting me. I tried to look as if I was keeping up with what he was saying and so far I think it is working. It seems that he really believes that I’m listening to him right now. I chuckled at the thought of gullible Daehyun and went back to pay attention to what he was saying. “…so yeah. I mean, hyung seriously. I think you have the worst timing. Oh, I meant no offence. Please don’t take it the wrong way, it’s just you came in at the wrong time. You see, Jieun-noona’s ankle is really hurt and she didn’t want anyone to know. She trusted me and then, I asked if she wanted me to accompany her to the hospital…” Jieun-noona’s ankle is really hurt, Daehyun’s words continued to ring in my head as if telling me I was missing something important. I thought hard about it and finally came into realization.

“Daehyun-ah, is it the right ankle?” I confirmed.

“Huh? I’m not sure…I wasn’t paying attention,” he answered reluctantly and paused. “Actually now that I think about it, you’re right hyung!”

“Arraeso. I’ll be going aight? You can go home too, Ms.Kim told me to tell you we finished already,” I retreated. “Annyeong, Daehyun-ah!” I waved goodbye and rushed to find Jieun.

 


 

Sorry for not updating so often :( I'll try my best to post another chapter tomorrow, so stay tuned :) Comment and subscribe pleasee~