Chapter 22

Working for Acknowledgement

 

IU POV

I struggled to keep my eyes open as the teacher continued his story. What a waste of his energy, I pity him. Really, you’d think that by now, at the quarter of the school year, he would learn that no one even bothers themselves with his stupid life stories. I sigh loudly as I shifted in my seat. My teacher looks at me and for a second I actually thought that he got the idea that even I, the nice one in the class, am not willing to hear about his stupid vacation. He looks away however, and pretends as if everybody was listening. Lovely.

"Psst," Jiyeon buzzes from behind me. I turn around discreetly and she hands me a note. Her printing was scribbled messily but thankfully I was used to it.

You coming with us to the mall after school? Me and Suzy are buying clothes for the dance. :)

A sigh escapes my lips. She seems to have forgotten about my stupid ankle. Though the ankle wasn’t completely fractured, it will take a week or two for the cast to come off. I quickly reply to her message.

Sorry I can’t, my ankle doesn’t come off ‘til next week :/ You guys go, have fun. :)

I extend my arm from behind and she accepts the crumpled paper. I heard her groan quietly. She was just about to write me back a message when the bell rings, and we are finally released from this hell hole that they like to call a school. I quickly gather my books and head out the door with Jiyeon tailing me behind.

She nudges my elbow and I look at her. “Jieun-ah, are you sure you can’t come to the dance?” she pleads with a pout.

I sigh, “Yeah, I told Daesung-ssi I can’t. He was pretty bummed but he understood when he saw my cast.”

“Then will you at least hang with us for a while? At least for a drink?” she convinces me.

I giggle at her thoughts, “You mean a drink at Cube to see Kikwang, or you need me for the discount don’t you?” She looked at me as if she was a deer caught in headlights. Then she coughs and pretends as if nothing happened. I laugh lightly and finally agreed. “Alright, I’ll come.”

~~~

Jiyeon pulls on the glass door and heads inside excitedly. I giggle at her eagerness and pulled Suzy with me inside. I was immediately welcome by the warm smell of coffee. I smiled, feeling relaxed.

 There was a considerably long line up, but it was nothing compared to the weekend rush hour. Many other university kids were lined up and I noticed that most of them were girls. I took a peek at the cash register. No wonder, it was our three musketeers working up the ladies; Doojoon, Kikwang, and Yoseob. All our male employees were actually quite a looker but these three had earned their nickname for somehow managing to capture the hearts of many of our customers. They weren’t fast and nor were they that efficient, but Wooyoung-oppa just loves to put them at the till to raise the profits.

“Oppa!” says a high-pitched voice, breaking my thoughts. I look to my left, thinking it was Jiyeon. She shakes her head, and she points to the cash register. I follow her finger to the direction of Yoseob’s customer. I stared at the sight of girl. She was another one of those annoying girls who crave attention. With both her hands, she held onto Yoseob’s arm. Weirdly enough, Yoseob just stared at his arm as if it was his first time to see someone hold onto him. He seemed lifeless, as compared to his usual bouncy and childish attitude.  “Are you ok?” she asks worriedly. Heads turned to Yoseob, as if everyone was wondering the same thing. Yoseob notices this and gives a hesitant laugh.

Yoseob smiles sweetly, holding the girl’s gaze. “I’m fine,” he chirps, “thanks for worrying about me.” The girl giggles and turns her gaze. She takes her cup of coffee and leaves the till. Yoseob sighs, and then he calls for the next person. I gasped as I recognized who was next, Taeyang. 

 


Yoseob's solo album will be released soon!! Anyway I hoped you guys liked the chapter :)
Comment and subscribe ^^