Chapter 23

Working for Acknowledgement

 

**YOSEOB POV**

“Can I get the next person in line please?” I request with a sigh. A familiar guy heads to my till and I began to ready for his order. Oh yeah, he’s Jieun’s crush, I tell myself as I see a closer look at him. 

“One tall Americano,” he says.

I mumble, “Is this all?”

“Yes,” he responds.

“That will be $3.50,” I say to him. He hands me a $5.00 bill and I give him his change. Then I restlessly left to make his coffee.

Taking the newly brewed coffee, I start to pour it absentmindedly into a cup. This was a routine for me. Ask for the order, make the coffee and pull out a fake smile when they ask me to.  I was a trained robot, going along with the everyday tasks in the café so it left me clueless when I felt a sharp sting coming from my hand as the coffee begin to spill from the brim of the cup and onto the bright red flesh. I stare at it silently, gritting my teeth as I put down the pot as well the cup of coffee. I take a nearby hand towel and harshly wiped away the liquid. It crossed my mind to run to the tap and soak my hand under ice cold water but from the looks of it, it was more than just a regular burn. I sigh and put away the towel. I can’t do anything about it so I might as well go on regularly. I resume again, taking the cup of coffee, but more carefully now, and bring it to my till.

“Yah, Yoseob-ah,” Kikwang says, “pass me the tray of goods will you?” I nod my head, placing the coffee down on the counter in front of my costumer and turned to my left to grab the tray. However as I did so, I knocked my costumer’s coffee over, sending yet another burning sensation through my hand. Accidentally dropping the tray due to the pain, Kikwang and Doojoon immediately stopped to look at the commotion I had caused.

“Seobie, what happened?” Doojoon asks in concern. I looked around and surveyed the damage I had caused. The coffee was spilled and to make it worse, it managed to work its way to my costumer’s shirt. Alarmed, I immediately grabbed a towel and tried to clear my mess.

“I’m so sorry,” I say sincerely, handing him a bunch of napkins.

"Yoseob..." I hear Kikwang mutter. 

“Dammit!” my costumer exclaims, “I have a ing interview to go to! My ing shirt is ruined!”

“I’m sorry sir,” I say again, “I’ll compensate for the trouble I’ve caused.” I bow to him, 90 degrees. He sighs, exasperation clear as he did so.

“Aish!” he shouts, “I can’t believe this! How can you run a café with this type of service?!” I continue to bow, not even caring about how pitiful I looked. I hear Doojoon curse from nearby and his shoes began to click, coming over to my station. But before he’s even reached me, someone else speaks up.

“Stop!” she cries. I look over to see who it was. Great, when I thought things couldn’t get any worse, here comes Jieun. I stare at her, waiting for her to back this guy up. I had stopped caring anyway. “Sunbae, I think you need to say sorry to Yoseob.” My eyebrows knit in confusion. Wasn’t she supposed to be siding with him?

“Really Jieun?” he scoffs. “Was I the one who did all of this?”

 “You’re right, he did cause you trouble. But he’s clearly doing his best,” she reasons as I watch helplessly. The man taps his foot impatiently and pulls out his phone.

“Whatever, I’m leaving. This is a waste of my time,” the guy says, taking a napkin. He wipes his shirt and turns to leave.

From my side, I hear Doojoon sigh, “Let’s clear the mess.” I nod obediently, taking another towel.

“Wait, Doojoon-oppa!” I look up to see Jieun still there. “Can I uhh…” she pauses, as if she was hesitating, “can I borrow Yoseob for a bit?” Doojoon looks at me and gives me a questioning look.

“I guess…” Doojoon says.

I look at Jieun, not knowing what she’s thinking. She smiles brightly, “Thanks oppa!” Within a flash, she was already at my side and pulling on my arm. I follow as she drags me past the kitchen, past the staff room and finally we’re at the empty lounge area.

 

 


Caffeine MV is out! Ironically, it talks about coffee too haha :P You guys check it out, it's a pretty good MV. I can't really complain about it :P Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy this chapter! Anticipate the next one! It'll be all about IUSEOB!