Chapter 4

Working for Acknowledgement

 

**IU POV**

“Wah, that Yang Yoseob. He sure hit the jackpot.” I heard a guttural voice say, which can be easily distinguished as Doojoon-oppa’s.

“Yup, I agree. I sure am the best,” says another proudly in response.

“Aishh! Pabo! Are you still hanging onto that Kiseob thing?! Yah, Lee Gikwang! I was talking about Hyuna,” Doojoon scolded.

“Ahhh… Oh yeah, that hot chick. Honestly, since when has Yoseob been so lucky?! As far as I know, I have more muscles than him… Hyung, shouldn’t I have been able to get a hot chick as good as Yoseob’s with these guns by now??” he whined uncontrollably.

The two continued to bicker, their voices loud and clear though the door of the boys change room was completely shut. Then the thought suddenly occurred to me, are their locker rooms really that run-down and beat up as the boys claim them to be or are their voices really that loud? Either way, the two should be smart enough to lower their voices, especially if they are holding a conversation where they are going about saying how much they envy their best friend’s girlfriend. Which then brings me back again to the oh-so-enchanting Ms.Hyuna. Really, she can do so much better than that annoying Yang Yoseob. But then again, I have to admit when I first laid my eyes on the guy I thought he was pretty cute until that is, when he began with that cocky attitude of his.

 I can still remember my first day here at Cube Café and Yoseob was chosen to train me. The moment my eyes landed upon him, I was left with a lasting impression of his adorable features. His dark brown almond eyes, small button nose, and his slightly chubby cheeks gave him a child-like vibe. Baby-faced Yang Yoseob was the most perfect way to describe him. However, something about his approach and style told people that he’s not to be babied. More than his features, it was his smile that described him the best and allowed him to stand out among the rest. The way his eyes soften as wrinkles formed around it and how his face brightens as his mouth lifts up to show his teeth makes people feel easy and comfortable. “His smile is genuine,” I remember saying to myself while being entranced by his bright expression.

“OH! Yang Yoseob! You’re back!” I jolted as I heard Doojoon shout his name.

Utterly surprised that I drifted into dreamland of thoughts of a man other than Taeyang, I quickly tried to make myself busy. Without thinking, I rushed to take the free cash register to help out Wooyoung-sunbae who was the only one that was taking orders from the long line of customers. However, because of my rash action, I caused pain to my right ankle. “Ah crap,” I muttered silently while shutting my eyes to get rid of the pain. I momentarily forgot that I injured myself. Doing my best to not cause attention, dragged my right leg the rest of the way to the cash register and asked for the next person in line.

“Jieun-ah!!!” says a voice which I’ve familiarized myself too for as long as I could remember. “Gwenchana? Don’t even hide it. I saw you limping.”

“Mhhm, I’m ok Jiyeon. Don’t cause a scene. You know I hate being treated differently just because I’m injured,” I did my best to convince her, adding a cute pout in the end.

“Fine, but you better let me take a look later. Oh and get me the usual.”

“Alright,” I said while punching in the buttons, “That comes to a total of $5.50.” She handed me a five dollar bill and I glared at her in response.

“Yah, let me off just this once. I have no change and I don’t want to give you my $10 bill. Please Jieunie,”she batted her eyelashes at me as I reluctantly grabbed coins from my pocket to pay for the remaining cost. “Psst,” she whispered, leaning into me, “where’s Kikwang?”

“Aishh! Did you really come here for the latte or just to stalk?!”

“Pshh, why ask when you know the reason,” she responds giving me a wink.

“Oh my gosh,” I rolled my eyes. “He’s somewhere at the back…” I trailed off as I tended for Jiyeon’s order. I was bending down to grab a cup holder and some napkins when I heard a shout.

“Hey! Jiyeon-ah, you came again?” I turned around to see Kikwang-oppa, followed by Yoseob.

“Hi Jiyeon,” Yoseob says brightly, walking towards my till, “here’s the latte and cookie you ordered.”

“Oh? I was just about to walk to the coffee station and grab that for her,” I said eyeing him curiously.

“I wanted to make it and give it to my lovely dongsaeng personally instead,” he replied while sending aegyo to Jiyeon.

“Aigoo,oppa. Sometimes you make wonder if I really am the younger one here,” Jiyeon adds and gives Yoseob some playful gestures.

“Yah Yoseob-ah, stop it with the aegyo. You’re getting all the attention again,” Kikwang-oppa said giving him a light punch. Yoseob just shrugged in response.

“Jieun, me and Kwangie can help out here in the front. You can just help out Doojoon-hyung cook at the back,” he offered, making me curious. Everyone knows that working at the back was a much easier task, especially because it required less movement. Why would Yoseob trade with me?

“Waeyo?” my suspicions clear in my voice.

“Because Yoseobie said that you hu-“ Kikwang started but was cut off by Yoseob.

“Isn’t it obvious? The customers love seeing my cuteness,” he said while sending a wink to a random girl in line. Ugh, his ego sickens me. I really wasn’t sure why I was truly agitated at that moment. But something in my head just clicked the moment the girl giggled in response

“Yang Yoseob, grow up. I’m sure your girlfriend wouldn’t appreciate you acting like this,” I said narrowing my eyes at him.

“Acting like what?” Yoseob asked, looking genuinely confused.

“Forget it. If you really want to take orders then go right ahead. I’ll be at the back if you need anything,” I sighed heavily. I really had no more intentions of developing an argument, especially when there’s such a long line of customers. Therefore, moving my good leg forward and dragging the injured one after, I silently headed to the empty stove beside Doojoon-oppa and worked through the remainder of Dongwoon-oppa’s shift.

 

 

 

Hi :D I have the next chapter written but I won't be posting it until later or maybe tomorrow. We'll see. I wasn't really satistified with this chapter, but I hope you guys like it :) Many thanks to my subscribers and to those who drop a comment because I sure do enjoy them <3