Chapter 7

Working for Acknowledgement

 

**YOSEOB POV**

I was scolded yet again for being only 5 minutes late. Ms.Kim, who was in charge of the university’s promotions, constantly kept an eye on me perhaps afraid that I’ll once again wander off by myself. While meeting her gaze, I slightly turned away from her as an indication that I was uncomfortable by her stares. However, she seemed to not care if I was comfortable or not as she continued to watch me. In my attempt to show her that I will no longer goof around, I approached the nearby male students with the hopes of grabbing their attention. They, however, were not interested and decided to walk off. Frustrated, I took out my phone and texted Hyunseung.

To: Hyunseungiee

From: Seob-ah

HYUNG! High schoolers think they’re so cool >:( They totally brushed me off!

To: Seobiee

From: Hyunseung

Why? What happened? Why are you even with high-school kids?

To: Hyunseungiee

From: Seob-ah

Oh, that’s right! I forgot to tell you. I don’t have to earn credits cuz I kinda passed and kinda failed. So now, I have to do some retarded presentations about promoting the University. Mr.Kang will let me back in after this.

To: Seobiee

From: Hyunseung

Ahh, that’s good then. Anyway, I have to finish up my notes for class. Don’t mess this one up Seobie. ;) I’m just kidding. You’ll do fine. :P Text you later, k?

I frowned when I read his reply. Hyunseung-hyung always puts his notes before me. What a bad hyung. Now, what am I supposed to do? I looked around for anything that I can possibly put my hands in. The other two students who came with me seem to have a hand at the promoting already. Even Ms. Kim was busy with something. I, on the other hand, remained sitting behind the poster board set up on our booth’s table. I then remembered Jieun, who was attending this school, and the guy who she was with. Maybe they can pretend to be interested in my promotions! Excited at the thought, I quickly grabbed my phone and texted Jieun.

To: Jieun

From: Yoseob

Jieunn-ahhh, I’m really boreddd. Come visit me at the gym? Oh! Bring your boyfriend! I wanna meet him ;)

I stood up and look for the papers which told me all what I had to do for the promotions. Reading only the highlighted portions, I practiced a few lines while waiting for my company. As soon as I was ready I straightened myself out and walked to the front of the booth to meet a panting Jieun.

“Yah, are you ok? You’re panting like you have some kind of asthma or something,” I snickered. However, she didn’t reply and instead sat down on the floor while holding her chest. Concerned, I grabbed one of the water bottles that the university just so happened to give away as part of the promotions.

“Here,” I say, handing to her the water while twisting off the cap. She took a moment to finally stop breathing so hard and fixed her fringe so that they weren’t covering her eyes. Then she reached out one arm to take hold of the water bottle. After gulping down almost half the bottle, she handed it back to me as I helped her back up on her feet.

“So…” she said, pretending that nothing out of the sort just happened. “Why are you here?”

“I have to promote the university,” I said. “Now your turn. Why were you just out of breath?”

“I was trying to get away from someone. Oh by the way, you sent the text just on time,” she grinned. Ahh, probably the jock she was talking to. Guess they’re not so close after all~, I thought in my head.

“You’re welcome,” I replied smugly, causing her to roll her eyes. “Now that I’ve helped you, how ‘bout you give me a hand?” I asked, “Don’t worry it’s nothing hard.”

“I guess,” she sighed.

“Great!”

I grabbed a pamphlet of the university from the table and guided her near the poster that was set up in the university’s booth.

“Now, just pretend to be interested in what I’m saying and make sure you stand where that lady over there can see you,” I gestured to Ms.Kim.

“Arraeso. This won’t take long right? I still have to meet Jiyeon,” she said reluctantly. Just then a great idea popped into my mind.

“Jiyeon? Bring her here!” I said a little bit too enthusiastically.

“Ok,” she replied giving me a weird stare. Then, she turned away and started to walk away from me, most probably to find Jiyeon. However, as I continued to watch her back, I was reminded of the earlier scene of  students who rudely brushed me off.

“Yah, Jieun-ah!” I called after. “Don’t leave yet! You just got here!” I held onto her wrist and checked to make sure Ms.Kim was not witnessing her departure. Unfortunately, she was. In her head, she must be thinking of what a failure I am for losing at least 20 kids already. Therefore taking action, I guided Jieun back to the poster and said a few words. “University of East Broadcasting Arts is widely known for its facilities and its welcoming staff.”

“What the… Don’t you remember? Just now you asked me to bring Jiyeon. Yoseob, you’re really weird. Are you bipolar?” she tried to move away from me. However, I managed to make the scene look playful by throwing an amused grin and a fake laugh.

“No.” I told her sternly and then cleared my throat. “Anyway continuing on, we also offer a wide variety of courses that can allow you to expand the path for your future success.” I pointed to the pictures on the poster. I nudged her side, signalling her that it was her cue to respond.

“Ummm… ok,” she took a step back. “But…I’m not really interested.”

“Why? A student like you who attends an Arts High School would have so much potential. If you continue on your path of performing arts in our university, I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say that you’ll be in billboards and magazines by the time that you graduate.” I smiled. I sure was getting a hang of this.

“I don’t think I’ll really get anywhere with singing,” she laughed. “I was just lucky to get in this school.”

“Oh? But I’m sure teachers here don’t accept students by pure luck. The last time I checked, you had to qualify to get into this school.” She looked at me with a spark of interest in her eyes. “Now, I’m sure with your ability you’ll manage to do more than exceptional in your studies at our university.” Wahh, Yang Yoseob you impress me sometimes. I heard a voice say in my head, boosting up my confidence.

By now, some students have overheard our conversation. A small number of girls have made their way closer to me and Jieun, hoping to catch onto more of what I was saying. “In fact I’m sure everyone here has potential. I auditioned for this school before and I was rejected. The students here must be really good.” What I said was half-true. I was actually about to apply for this school before in my earlier years but an acceptance letter from a different high school arrived before I even had a chance to and so, I decided to drop my application.

“Is that true oppa?” Someone asked. I flinched slightly at the suspicion in her voice but I managed to give her a nod.

“Wow! Oppa you didn’t give up on performing even if you were rejected? Oppa, you’re so cool! ” I heard another say, making me grin.

“That’s why I’m hoping maybe that you could recognize the same potential I see in you and continue to improve your skills in the University of East Broadcasting Arts,” I say in a soft and gentle tone as I directed my attention back towards Jieun. I gave her a warm smile and reached for her hand. The girls however, squealed in reaction and practically pushed Jieun out of the way, leaving me surprised. I watched as she brushed herself off and looked back at me. I was about to go over and ask if she was okay but I saw her wave her hand and then slowly walk off to the opposite direction. 

 

This is it for now. Thanks for continuing to support this story :D I hoped you liked the chapter. Comment and subscribe pleasee~