Chapter 12

Working for Acknowledgement

  **IU POV**

I comfortably stretched out and positioned myself on one of the chairs in the emergency room’s waiting area. However, the chair I happened to sit on wasn’t a very good choice. I would be lying if I said that I don’t feel cramped right now. To my right was a sleeping old woman who has selfishly taken up a large amount of room. She remains to be unbothered by the various types of noises that’s been filling up the tight room and manages to continue her slumber in a peaceful manner. I could move away from her but that choice also seems to be unconvincing. On my other side was a whining kid who has forever been complaining about the rashes that’s been working up her arm. Now, I know it’s rude to avoid others but in this case keeping my distance from the child should be acceptable. I sighed in frustration. This day keeps getting better and better.

“Lee Jieun?” a foreign voice called out my name and I stood up in response. She acknowledged my presence and gestures towards me. “Follow me please.”

I dragged my body to the direction she led me to. We squeezed through the busy nurses and attendants who are running around with no sense of direction. In such a busy crowd of people, I had almost lost the lady who’s supposed to be leading me to someplace else. It never actually occurred to me how hectic things can get in a hospital. I’ve seen things like these in movies and such but they’ve always portrayed it in a way that the doctors and nurses in the scene are able to keep their cool. Here, it almost appears that some have lost a track of themselves. After finally getting past the sea of people, the lady sets me up to an empty bed.

“Let’s take a look at that ankle now shall we?” she smiled to me. I rolled up my sweats and earned an ooh from the nurse. “Wow, it’s as bad as your boyfriend described it to be.”

“Boyfriend?” I asked her curiously.

“The handsome lad from earlier,” she replied. “He’s a cutie. Too bad he’s not here anymore. Did he leave?” I almost gagged at what she said. Here she is, most likely in her 30’s admiring a boy that can almost pass as her child.

“Oh, he’s just a friend. He had to leave early for an appointment,” I said to her politely while she was scribbling notes on her clipboard.

“Ahh… I see. You better watch out though, I’ve heard that line a number of times. From the looks of it, friends won’t suffice your relationship in the future,” she mumbled.

“Deh?” I asked, shocked from her assumption.

“Ahahaha nothing luv,” she chuckled. “Let’s get back to your ankle now, shall we? I’ll be testing it out for any broken bones so just tell me if it hurts, alright sweetie?” She took hold of my ankle and rolled it around. A hiss escaped my mouth unintentionally and she nodded her head. She then moved it back and forth, which only worsened the damage. “Aigoo…I see its hurt pretty bad. We’ll be taking some x-rays when I come back and we’ll have the doctor check up on you. Does that seem ok sweet pea?” I gave her a small nod and she smiled brightly. “Alrighty then, I’ll be back in a few!”

I lied down on the bed and rested my back. I looked around examining my surroundings out of boredom. It was all the same. Everything was mostly white and sterilized, with the exception of the metal instruments, monitors and such. I played with my fingers to keep myself entertained, but not for long.

 If only Yoseob didn’t leave, I thought for a moment. Although he might have the tendency to work himself in my veins, I have to admit that his company can be appreciated. However, when he’s with me it’s a little hard to feel the same way as I do when he’s not around. I guess that’s just another thing about me. I learn to appreciate after I feel the loss. Thinking about it, I feel somewhat regretful for sending him away.

Going back to the scene…

“Jieun-ah, go find yourself a seat. I’ll take care of the paperwork,” Yoseob implied.

“What? No, it’s fine. I’ll do it,” I rejected and followed his pursuit.

“Huh? Why?” he asked dumbfounded.

“Uhh… because I’m the one that’s hurt. Shouldn’t I be the one taking care of the paperwork?” I was now questioning myself of the proper process as his cluelessness made me feel unsure of myself.

“Is that how it goes?” he stared at me blankly.

“Uhhh…”

“See, you’re not even sure. I’ll take care of it. Go find yourself a seat in the waiting area,” he slightly pushed me away and I unwillingly took a step away from him with a reluctant look on my face. “I’ll call for you if they need you. Don’t worry about it,” he patted my head and gave me a genuine smile.  I almost jumped when I felt his fingers brush against the back of my hand, but he grabs it before I had the chance to pull away. Warmth filled my insides almost immediately when I felt him give it a squeeze. Then he leaves with that same smile on his face. 

 

 

 

 


Another chapter coming up in a few. ^^ Thanks for my subscribers who are alwaysbeing patient. Don't forget to comment/subsribe :)