Chapter 24

Working for Acknowledgement

 

 

My heart was thumping loudly like a drumbeat leading a procession. I don’t what has got into me back there earlier. Since when have I gotten the courage to stand up for something and let alone stand up to Taeyang? Unknowingly my grip on Yoseob’s hand has gone tighter. I hadn’t even realized it until I hear a small gasp escape his lips. I immediately let go.

“Mian,” I mutter. He nods, holding his hand that I had squeezed earlier.I gasp as I see the swollen flesh. “What happened?” I ask, confused. The scene that occurred  previously played in my head: the coffee spilling and Yoseob frantically trying to clear everything up. I sigh thinking back to how Taeyang had reacted, “Was it because of the coffee?”

Silently, Yoseob looks up and brings down his hands. He smiles unnaturally, “It’s nothing. I just burned my hand, that’s all.”

It wasn’t nothing, I sigh. I walk over to him and pull him over to a seat. “Stay,” I order him, “I’ll be right back.”

Yoseob just looks at me blankly and without any complaints, he complies obediently. I quickly jog over to the women’s locker room. Hurrying, I rushed to my locker. I quickly enter my lock and dug through my mess. Finally, I spot my trustee ointment that I’ve always used for my burns. I was already halfway through the bottle considering my countless accidents but this amount should do him good. Smiling to myself, I hastily made my way back to the lounge.

Despite the noise I was causing, Yoseob seems to not even notice a single thing. I frowned. He’s acting so differently, always staring at the ground. He has bags under his eyes and his hair was dishevelled. I walk over to him but he hardly even notices my presence. Sighing, I take his hand and begin to apply the ointment.

“Ah!” he finally cries, startling me. He yanks back his hand, pulling me also. I end up stumbling, but thankfully my reflexes were smart enough not to crash onto him. I had an arm pushing against the wall, just above his shoulders. I was practically just inches away from his face. I averted my gaze from his lips, only for it to land on his wet eyes. My eyebrows scrunch up as I stared at them. That’s when I realized I’ve never seen him cry. Just then Yoseob moves away, and I jump back in surprise.

I laugh awkwardly, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to fall onto you. You just suddenly pulled your arm and it shocked me.” I bite my lip, not knowing what to do. If only I moved away from him as soon as possible, it wouldn’t have to be this awkward.

Yoseob looks at me, and finally he chuckles. “It’s ok Jieun. Don’t worry,” he laughs. “We’re like family here anyway right?” I clench my teeth, hesitantly nodding.

I inhaled a deep breath, “Right.”

Looking around, I noticed the ointment I dropped from earlier. I was just about to pick it up when I hear someone approaching. I turn my head to the direction of the door curiously but Yoseob yanks me with such a force. I was pressed up against his chest. My ear pressed against his chest and my arms helplessly at my sides. There wasn’t room to even think. I was in oblivion. All I could register was his increasing heartbeat and the warmth he was giving me.

“Jieun-ah, mian,” he whispers, his lips brushing past my ear.  My cheeks flush into a rosy pink. I take a step back as I finally realized the position I was in but Yoseob wraps an arm around me. I open my mouth to tell him off, anger clear in my eyes when I looked at him. He didn’t care. He raises his hand to caress my cheek. Then without hesitation he leans in and presses his lips onto mine.

His soft lips on mine froze me on the spot. It didn’t last long as a gasp was heard from the hallway followed by the loud and quick clicking of the heels. Yoseob looks away in shame. He had seen who it was and had not bothered to follow after. Silently he fall backs on the seat, his face buried in his hands. He was apologizing repeatedly now. But me? I was standing helplessly with a rush of emotions overwhelming me. 

 


Is Jieun going to be mad? What's going to happen to Seobie? 

 

Comment and Subscribe :)