The Climb

The Shadow Games

 

It was night. The cool breeze collided against our fragile bodies, making our souls shiver. We stared at the tall mountains that stood before us, ready to be dominated by our humane feet. Once over them, we would be on the other side of Exotica, with stages waiting for us to pass and finally arrive at our destination. The four of us laid at the bottom, trying to muster the courage to make the first step.

 

I wasn’t scared, just concerned. But right now, the least of my problems was being cautious; I just wanted to start moving, and fast. I was still depressed with what happened to LuHan, so even if I didn’t mean to, I was sounding as cold as an iceberg. Having resolved our little dilemma about abandoning certain people, I gave my personal speech.

 

MJ: Well… I want to thank you all for helping me out…But above all for accepting me with all my defects… I’m not perfect… and it’s not a goal of mine to be so either… I just want everyone to be safe…and happy… To do so, we must get out of here, and fast… before anyone faces a tragic…finale...

…..

We have only a few hours to cross over these mountains…not only reach the top, but go down them as well… If the sun comes out before we reach the other  side…who knows what weird and hellish mechanism the Exotics have up there to attack us with… Just be careful…and look after one another…

 

They all looked at me with pity, but managed to smile and give me a nod, affirming their acceptance of what I had just stated. It was time to give the first step, or better yet, the first hike. These mountains weren’t Mt. Everest, but were pretty high. Good thing it was molded –by Heavenly hands!– in a way that it seemed more like steps than ridges, so if would be easier for us to hike them.

 

I looked at Kai and nodded, letting him know we could start when he was ready. He firmly nodded back, taking the first step, as he climbed over the first few steps, making sure everything was okay for the rest of us to go on. He gave us an OK sign after a few minutes and we began our expedition.

 

We had planned a strategy while we ate: Kai would lead, I would be right behind him, followed by HaeRi, and lastly Lay to protect us from behind. We were moving quite smoothly. Once in a while we came upon a high ledge, and Kai had to pull us from above as Lay pushed us from below. HaeRi and I spent the majority of the time holding hands, making sure each of us was okay.

 

As we proceeded, I was still replaying in my mind all that had happened in the last few hours. Some things were making sense now, others just kept tormenting me. Besides, what happened while I was unconscious? Did Kris really do that? About giving us food and water, and worrying about my death? Might as well make this time useful and find out.

 

MJ: Guys…. I know I’m not in any conditions to keep uncovering certain topics, but I’m just curious… What happened after I fainted?... Did Kris do anything to you? And why did he give us provisions?

 

Since HaeRi was the closes to me she voluntarily explained. Maybe it was the fact that we were climbing and I wasn’t paying attention, or maybe it’s just that she needs to learn better ways of communication; either way, after many tries I finally understood her.

 

MJ: Okay, let me recap to see if I got you. After I fainted everyone, including Kris, huddled up around me. Lay kneeled next to me and took me in his arms, gently slapping my face to see if I responded. Kai began to swat air in my direction with his hands. Kris just stared. You held my hand. Kai got mad and went up to Kris to confront him, but Lay stopped him. Then Kris told them about the goose and just sat down until I woke up. Lay began to make a fire to cook the animal Kai went after. You stayed by my side. But Kris… he looked in a daze…

I’m not getting anything!

 

HaeRi shrugged, I knew she didn’t know either; I’m sure not even Albert Einstein could figure out such a strange behavior coming from a man like Kris. I decided to leave the topic at that, since none of us were going to get any more information out of it. I tried to concentrate once again where I was going, but my mind would always return to the horrible images of Luhan. I didn’t want to keep remembering; it hurt too much. Even though I wanted to cry, I didn’t; I had caused these guys too many hardships by now. I’m supposed to be the one giving them examples on how to confront a situation, and yet here they are, helping me out sort my own emotions. I need to start controlling myself, or else I’ll end up hurting them all, and that’s the least I want to do. Lay and Kai are worried sick; and Haeri, besides all she’s gone through, she is still strong enough to control herself…and me.

 

I was starting to feel weird; somewhat dizzy. It could involve many factors going around. I’m tired, I’m worried, I’m emotionally unstable… A lot of things are holding me prisoner to myself. Maybe that’s why I accidentally stepped on a wrong step and stumbled, falling out of the narrow trail and hanging onto the ledge with my right hand only.

 

MJ: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

 

I let out a sharp scream as I saw HaeRi running to my rescue and kneeling before me, trying to take me by my right arm. The guys came rapidly behind her. They pushed her aside and each one took me by an arm, heaving me upwards at the same time. I felt the ground underneath me and breathed in the soil. I had been on the verge of extinction, dangling on the edge of mercy, quite a distance from the land below. I was sweating and trembling due to the fright. Kai helped me sit up straight and took me by the shoulders, giving them a slight squeeze to make me regain consciousness. I looked deep into his eyes and saw how worried he was; I should tell them I’m fine.

 

MJ: I’m okay guys….I’m…okay… Lemme just get up, and we can continue…

When I tried to get up my legs failed again and ended up in Kai’s chest. He held me until he felt me move. I wasn’t feeling very good, but I could still go on. I didn’t want them to keep worrying about me. I pushed Kai aside and started to walk towards the trail.

 

MJ: Come on guys… let’s keep going. I’m alright... REALLY!!I was just a little dizzy… Maybe because of the pressure changes up here… But trust me, I’m fine…

Just then Lay pointed at my feet. I followed his finger and saw my left sock had blood… So that’s why I’ve been stumbling so much... I had an injured ankle… That’s weird; I didn’t feel any pain whatsoever… Lay came up to me and kneeled in front of my feet, examining with a delicate hand my injured ankle. He signaled me to sit down and take off my foot ware.

 

MJ: Lay oppa!! Really, I’m fine! Leave it like that, we have to go on! We can’t waste time in unnecessary things like this…

 

I don’t know why, but I felt as if Lay had gotten mad… Like, angry mad! And it was a weird sensation, since he always looks so peaceful and friendly. He looked at me with piercing eyes, and taking my right hand, he yanked me to the ground, making me sit as he took off my school shoe and sock.

 

 

HaeRi came to sit next to me as Lay wiggled my left foot sideways checking if it was broken or just plain hurt. Yixing took off the fabric he had around his own injury, which was still healing, and wrapped it around my ankle after cleaning the area with his shirt.

 

MJ: NO! ANIYA!! Leave that were it was! You need it more than me oppa! I’m fine…
 

Lay cut me short with a silencing finger, then continuing his medical procedures until he finished.

MJ: Thanks, I guess... you shouldn’t have taken it off; your wound is still recent.

 

I was about to get up and have a look at Lay’s wound, but he blocked me. He took my hands in his and just smiled at me with a very gentle expression. I gazed at him for a few second and noticed how fatherly he looked at that moment; I felt at ease. He then told me that I needed to think a little about myself, since I wasn’t made out of stone.

 

MJ: I’m a strong girl oppa! So you shouldn’t worry about me so much. But, since I see you all get worried over me, I’ll try to take better care of myself. Thank you.

For the first time in a while I smiled as Lay helped me get up onto my feet. Then Kai approached us and kneeled, his back towards me.

 

MJ: No Kai, NO! I am not going to get on your back! This is a risky trail, and I can walk fine. Lay already took care of my wound, so it’s okay now. Thank you.

 

He got up and faced me, doing a scrunchy face. Then he sighted in defeat and took me by my right hand. Apparently he didn’t want any more accidents, so he decided I was better at his side. We continued walking, this time Kai and I in the lead, followed by HaeRi, and finally Lay. We were like this for what seemed 2 hours. As we got higher, we all became tired, but at the same time more motivated to keep going forward. I tried not to think about anything that might get me all emotional again; instead I concentrated on the wound I suddently had. I didn’t feel anything hurting, so it was strange to see I was bleeding. Even now, I didn’t feel any pain; my ankle felts perfectly fine. Speaking about ankles reminded me about the guy’s chains.

I looked at Kai’s right ankle and saw the short chain wrapped around it. Then I looked at Lay and saw it too. HaeRi had the same one in the same place. I had forgotten about the chains for these couple of days; they seem so disturbing. I can’t imagine how they all can live being chained to a dungeon, being unable to escape. And even when they’re set free for some time, they still carry around a piece of it, as in a reminder of where they need to return. But… that’s not going to happen this time… This time there isn’t going to be e dungeon to return to… This time they will win, and they will be set free… I promised them, and I will do everything I can to fulfill my word…

 

A sudden breeze came across my face, exactly as we reached the peak of the mountain. Everything seemed to be at the palm of my hands. The view from up here was amazing. You could all Exotica from up here. Right in front of us, down below, we saw the next stage: EXO Tower.


I had forgotten about that too. I remember seeing it at the beginning of the game, right after Kris mentioned it. I’m guessing that even though you could see it at the entrance of the city, this was the only way to actually get to it. It was a tall building, very future-like, in contrast with the rest of the city that was antique-like. I stopped looking at the ground and positioned my sight on the starry night. It was the most breathe taking view I had ever seen.

 

 

I felt as if the Earth’s energy was flowing inside me, making me feel at peace. I closed my eyes and took in a fresh gush of air. I would have loved Luhan to see this spectacular sky…Maybe he was looking at it right now… Maybe this was a way to connect with eachother… My thoughts were interrupted when I felt a hand grip my own. I opened my eyes and found Kai standing next to me, looking directly at the sky, his eyes crystallized. He was feeling it… the vibes of the earth below us… He also felt that the sky was a connection with others… I’m sure he was thinking about his parents…his little sister… The sky connects the World. It also connects this World with the afterlife one. Right now, everyone was in contact with everyone, no matter the distance; no matter the physical state. Because there is only once sky, and were all either under it or above it. It’s the only teleporting door that leads everything into one place, one time…

 

Something distracted me. I felt uncomfortable for some reason. It was like I wanted to get closer to Kai… I wanted to hug him and feel him between my arms… BAH!! This scenery looks so romantic that it’s affecting my subconscious… But still, there isn’t anything wrong in hugging your friend, right?! Maybe JongIn shouldn’t have taken my hand… I guess not having a boyfriend makes you think differently about how guys interact with you. I inadvertently took my hand out of Kai’s and tried to maintain my cool by taking the leading position again.

 

MJ: Well guys, we should continue. We should be a few hours away from sunrise, and we have to get down and find shelter too. It’s a shame we can’t stay here looking at this beautiful sky… but I’m sure we’ll have another chance to look at it.

I looked at Lay and instead of finding him oppa-ish like, I found him attractive…as in, LIKE A MAN!! What was wrong with me!?!?! Stop looking at the guys with EVIL eyes!! OHH!!! If Luhan was here, he’d be all “because you’re naughty naughty... Hey you’re missis ey!”… I looked towards HaeRi. Thank God I didn’t feel anything…cuz that could have been weird. I was about to continue talking, when Lay pointed at my left foot again. Not only was it the sock, but the bandage was also smudged with blood.

 

MJ: Wait… this can’t be right. How can I have injured my ankle again!? I’ve been perfectly fine!! In fact, IT DOESN’T EVEN HURT!!

 

I was getting kind of angry, don’t know why. Lay tried to get near me to check my leg, but I stopped him. Instead, I bent over to see for myself what was going on. I touched my ankle and didn’t feel any pain. I took my shoe, sock and bandage off, and after cleaning the area I found that there wasn’t a single scratch on the area. Suddenly, HaeRi got face to face with me and stared deeply into my eyes. She held my shoulders and squeezed them.

 

MJ: What is it HaeRi?

 

I answered coldly, since I was frustrated with my unknown ailment. She kept looking at me, but I couldn’t get what she wanted. She then SHOWED me what it was. She took her hand and swapped it on my inner left leg, from my ankle to my tight. Then she showed me her hand; pity in her face.

 

 

MJ: O…M…G…


 

The guys saw what it was and they took a few steps back, startled by the discovery… Being guys, they wouldn’t know how to react or handle the situation… No wonder I was feeling like such an emotional ... I felt embarrassed.

 

MJ:…nice going Mother Nature