Status Update Video

The Shadow Games

The Bacon lord spoke through the speakers.

 

BH: Miss Park! I just received something for you… it’s a video… Want to see it?...

 

Not another Status Update video! Sometimes I think it’s better if I didn’t see them… but then again, it’s the only way to know how LuHan is doing. Since I hadn’t answer, the man spoke again.

 

BH: Kris sent it with one of the Exotics. Apparently it’s a recording of something that appeared in the news these last few days. Kris was really persistent about me asking you first if you wanted to see it… (From behind the man a soft voice could be overheard through the speakers)

 

???: …thir, you’re not thuppost to give tho much information. Krith-hyung might get furiouth if he knew…

 

BH: And why should I care what “KRIIITH-HYUUUNG” has to think about me! Shees! Get lost lisper. Your task here is done… (He said sarcastically)

 

???: huh!…ath hole…

 

BH: WHAT DID U SAY TO ME!?!

 

???: I thaid, athta la vithta! (harsh tone; the man never spoke again)

 

BH: ehem… Excuse my minions; they sometimes get out of control. As I was saying, you want to view the video or not?... Or are you going to put on a show like you did a few hours ago in the hallway?

 

I got mad. Who was this little piece of trash to be taking my emotions so lightly? People like him always got on my nerves.

 

MJ: Listen Baco…I mean Beckham…

 

BH: It’s Baekhyun! BAEK! HYUN!

 

MJ: Whatever cheesecake! Yes, I want to see the video. And no, I will not put on a “show”. Sorry for being a HUMAN BEING! Now, palli palli! (I clapped my hands) We need to keep moving. Besides, where are we going to see it?

 

The wall behind the table threw open a window that revealed a high tech, HD plasma TV. From under the table, the 4 of us positioned ourselves to look at the said electronic. At first it was all black and white lines. Then, the recording began.

 

It looked like a news report channel. The date on the upper right corner read it was Friday, the day after I came here. After a brief intro announcing “Breaking News” a female news reporter was seen entering my high school while people around the building stopped their biding to watch her. She went to the principal’s office, Mr. Choi, and began to ask him for details.

 

 

FR: Mr. Choi, the authorities are investigating the disappearance of 2 of the school’s students. Apparently one of them, LuHan was last seen here. What are the teacher’s comments? Do you have any information?

 

MC: Last night I received a visit from the police to my house. Two of our top students, Lu Han and Park MinJeong, had not arrived at their houses that day after school. Their cell phones were not functioning, and none of their friends had seen them since lunch. This morning a few professors came up and told me that MinJeong had fainted yesterday inside the school area. It was already past 3:00PM, so classes had ended, but she was still wondering around. Apparently, she had been screaming, repeatedly calling LuHan’s name when she fainted. She was taken to the hospital. That’s all I was informed. Sadly, it is a terrible situation.

 

The TV changed from one interview to the next. This time a male reporter was in the school park, talking to a very gloomy ZiTao and a crying Kyungsoo.

 

 

MJ: TAO! D.O!

 

MR: Huang ZiTao and Do Kyungsoo have been friends with the two missing students for over 8 years. Tell us, when was the last time you saw them? How hard has this been for you? Any ideas why this might have happened?

 

Tao seemed upset with the reporter’s continuous and insensitive questions. He snatched the microphone out of the man’s hand and began his speech. He was fiercely looking into the camera.

 

ZT: I don’t know who did this or what their purpose is; but what I do know is that once the police captures them, I’ll PERSONALLY give them a “surprise” they’ll never forget. So you people out there watching this, beware of what you’re trying to do with my friends, because Kung-fu master Huang ZiTao is in no mood for mercy…

 

The reporter felt intimidated and slowly took the microphone form Tao’s hand.

 

MR: …um… thank you Mr. Huang. Anything else Mr. Do would like to add?

 

The reporter gave the microphone to D.O., maybe fearing that Tao would snatch it from him again. Kyungsoo took it ever so slowly like a fragile little boy. He was weeping.

 

KS: Last time we saw them was at lunch on Thursday… They left together to go do an assignment. After that..we…we…WE DIDN’T SEE THEM AGAIN!

 

Kyungsoo cryed on Tao’s shoulder. Tao tried to calm him, and D.O. eventually continued talking.

 

KS: LuHan, MinJeong… If by any chance you’re seeing this, please, stay strong! We’re doing all it takes to find you guys! Remember we’re always with you!

 

My boys’ words made me tear up. We’ve been friends since little, and seeing them hurt so much because LuHan and I are missing just breaks my heart. The interview changed again. Not the news read it was from Saturday. According to the headlines, the one talking was the General Chief of the Hospital I was taken to the day I fainted.

 

DR: We received Park MinJeong on Thursday at 4:37PM. Two of her professors brought her unconscious. Apparently she had fainted after going through a strong emotional trauma. The nurse that was taking charge of her saw when she woke up. She went to look for some medication and upon returning, the girl was gone. This was at about 5:30PM approximately. The guards and receptionist later on reported that the girl was seen running out of the hospital. As for the boy, we have no information on him since he never came to us.

 

The TV changed channel and now it read “Saturday News”. Another female reporter was interviewing both my parents, as well as LuHan’s.

 

MJ: EOMMA!! APPA!!

 

(MinJeong’s Parents)                                                                                                 (LuHan’s Parents)

 

HaeRi recognized them all and gave me a tight shoulder squeeze. Lay and Kai were still glued to the screen. The 4 persons on TV looked devastated, like they hadn’t eaten or slept well in days. Both women were crying; the fathers seemed tense. The reporter began her inquisition.

 

FR: Right now we’re here with the parents of both students that have been missing for 3 day, LuHan and Park MinJeong. Can you tell us when was the last time you saw your children? Is there any suspicions about what might have happened?

 

Mrs. Lu couldn’t take the question and immediately began to sob. It was Mr. Lu who answered, trying to prevent his voice from breaking.

 

MRL: LuHan has always been a model student, but above all an exceptional son. He has this calm attitude that makes it impossible for you to not feel bright around him. He has a lot of friends, but maybe that special ability also gains him enemies. We’re also not from here; as you can see we are Chinese. Maybe someone didn’t like him or the way he acted… We…We really don’t know what could have happened. The last time we saw him was Thursday morning, before we left for work. He was running a little late; but after that we…

 

The man had to stop talking before his voice failed him. It was now that Mrs. Lu talked.

 

MSL: He…he was always with MinJeong. They’ve been friends since we came here from China… She has always been such a nice girl with him and with us… we have always been grateful for her friendship… Seeing that she also disappeared, that means that their together…

 

I was already sobbing at the hurtful images my “uncles”, as I call them, and parents were giving off. My father was now the one covered in tears. My mother talked with the reporter.

 

MSP: I was the one to send her off to school the day of the disappearance. I gave her breakfast and took her to the school entrance as always. Since we work, she always came back home accompanied by LuHan or some other friends. When we got to the house that night, we didn’t found her. We called her phone and nothing. We called LuHan’s… and nothing… (she was beginning to tear up again).. We called the Lu’s house and neither one of them was there… The 4 of us decided to give them until 8:00PM. And still, no sign of them. We called the police and the investigation began… I just…I just hope they’re together… I couldn’t imagine my baby girl alone…

 

My mom dug her face in dad’s chest. The Lu’s were just staring at the ground. I was silently crying. HaeRi patted my head. Kai noticed my state and took my left wounded hand, and gently squeezed it, then patting it softly. Lay was still in a daze.

 

MJ: … Mom….Dad… I’m here…

 

FR: (facing the camera) There you have it. Both families are very affected by their missing childs. It is still unknown if the children have disappeared on their own or if they’re being taken as hostages or kidnapped. If anyone has seen them, please contact the police department immediately.

 

After the woman finished talking and said her goodbyes, the screen presented 2 pictures: one of LuHan and one of me, each one entitle with our name and age.

 

 

I saw how Kai, Lay and HaeRi looked deeply into the pictures, mainly LuHan’s. I felt as Kai began to squeeze my hand harder. Maybe it was the impact of seeing LuHan for the first time; he was the only one who hadn’t seen him before. He was fiercely scrutinizing every inch of LuHan. The screen changed one more time; the date on screen changed to Sunday. And if I’m not mistaken, today was Sunday. It’s been 4 days since I came here; that means this was news from this morning. The TV showed a Police Station. Cops paced here and there, working on papers and the computers. The head chief of the Police department for the city was speaking directly to the camera.

 

PM: 20 year-old LuHan and 18 year-old Park MinJeong were reported missing on Thursday night. Our units were rapidly scattered around the city and surrounding towns. The investigation began the moment the parents came to report the situation. After investigating the school, hospital, nearby stores, friends, neighbors, and family members, we have not come to the conclusion of what exactly happened. Assumptions can be made: the couple is having an affair away from their homes, or they have indeed been kidnapped, taken hostage, or even killed by unknown sources.

 

The female reporter from the day before now appeared on screen.

 

 

FR: It’s been 4 days since these two students have gone missing. The police department continues to work hard on this case, but the law states that after 10 days without success they begin to decrease the services provided for said investigation. This has been Lee HyoRi for channel 3. More news update later at 8:00pm

 

The screen went black. The wall began to close up until the TV disappeared.

 

BH: So, did you like it?...