A Piece Of My Heart

The Shadow Games

And so the moment of glory had arrived. We were witnessing our last stage, the place where BaekHyun had sent me to: The Temple. Here we would find the person responsible for so much suffering and pain. Whoever was waiting for us inside had to be powerful, and had to be more than prepared to confront us. This would somehow turn out to be an uneven match, still we would have to participate in it, but above all…win!  Just by standing in front of the building I felt the strong vibes that emerged from the splendorous structure. Dark secrets waited inside to be revealed, and we must all be prepared to witness the unbearable. I was still taking a tight grip around Kai’s right hand, afraid of letting go for fear of what might happen next. I felt how every one of our allies got closer to the structure, stepping on the plaza that stood before it. The moonshine was covering said place, illuminating every aspect of the locale, even amidst the shadows that surrounded the Canyon. Kai slowly began to walk towards the entrance of the Temple, showing he wasn’t afraid of the next encounter. Soon we were feet away from touching the majestic stone wall’s door. It was made out of old style wood, bearing 2 golden rings as handles; about 12 feet tall and 8 feet wide. It only took one push to see what was inside. JongIn had left my hand empty, and directed himself right in front of the final entrance, stretching his arms forward to display once and for all our final boss fight environment… But I stopped him! I hurried up to him, watching how everyone’s fearful eyes now went from the boy to me. I grabbed his hands before he could even touch the wooden division.

 

MJ: Stop! Not yet! I’m… I’m not ready… I don’t want to go inside yet… Not until I get everything out of my heart…

 

I felt nervous at my own actions; it had all been an involuntary move from my subconscious. My heart had to speak, and we had no other opportunity left. Now was the moment when I would forget about the World and simply concentrate on what was within me. This was my last speech and I had to make sure no one went ahead without knowing the truth…Knowing what I feel… I dragged JongIn away from the door and back to the rest of the group, who nervously watched my every move with their worried expressions. I made sure I had everyone on sight, finally taking in a deep breath before I turned into a different being…

 

MJ: Someone once told me songwriters, no matter how hard they tried, always incorporated their own emotions and experiences in their works, even if said masterpieces would end up in the hands of another artist. Singers would perform the song without even knowing the significance behind the confusing lyrics… These days spent here I’ve been writing my own song, and as much as I tried to make everything objective and neutral, my personal life got involved, giving the melody a new meaning. Now, I would like to pass on to you all my work of art… my heart’s harmony… And contrary to those performers, I want each one of you to understand every bit of poetry written in it!...

 

I took a deep stare at the 8 persons that stood before me, slowly inscribing their appearances in my soul: a place where nothing will be erased. I would dedicate everyone an undetermined time, only concentrating on that person, not caring about anything else for that moment. Many would have found this little ritual a dramatic show, but for me it would be the most important part of the game: the moment when I would make everyone a part of me… I walked towards my first selected friend, taking his hands in a tight hold while enjoying a sweet glance over his gracious countenance. He received me with a sweet smile, opposite to his usual creepy grin.

 

MJ: Chanyeol oppa! That Happy Virus you carry around sure is contagious! Haha. Even though we haven’t known each other for long, I already know you’re a terrific young man; inside that tall frame there is a jolly heart. Thank you for cheering me up when I needed it most; I hope I can keep counting on you to perk me up when I’m down. Also, thank you for being so strong, besides all the adversities that have gone against you. The short time you spent in here has been enough to turn anyone’s merriness into grief, yet you kept being yourself; that is an admirable trait. I’ll be anticipating the opportunity when we can chat, so we can laugh all we want without worry. For now, I’ll simply express the liking I’ve taken to you… Chanyeol Oppa, I love you and thank you for being my friend. Whatever happens, you’ll be in my heart no matter what…

 

The tall man showed his pearly whites with sincerity and kindness. He came forth and wrapped me in a warm hug, feeling the tenderness of his actions and emotions. I had taken a piece of my soul and given it as a gift to my lovable pal. Now I would continue my routine, giving everyone the same offering. I pulled away from Chanyeol, and went on to the person next in line. Positioned to the right was my favorite little creature. This time the hug came first. Mr. Bunny held me tight against his chubby cheeks as I felt his pessimism turn into hopefulness. I squeezed him as hard as I could, estimating the man’s cute exterior. We separated, taking a hold of each other’s hands as we shared caring stares.

 

MJ: XiuMin Oppa! Ever since our encounter in Exo Tower, you have proven to be more than a body guard or a warrior; you’ve shown how true friends are capable of sacrificing themselves for the wellbeing of others. Your sister will be proud when she hears how brave her big brother has been, even though on the outside your cuteness makes it difficult to believe you’re a strong hearted man. I feel honored to have met you along my journey, and I look forward to eating out with you once this is all over, my treat! That privileged brain of yours needs some fuel, and fast! Haha. Mr. Bunny, thank you for being so affectionate; sometimes all it takes to get courageous is a little love… MinSeok oppa, I love you, and I thank you for becoming a part of my family. No matter the outcome of the game, you will have a special place here…

 

I signaled to my heart, while I saw the older irradiate a smile that showed all his twisted and crooked, yet beautiful, teeth. Some seconds after, I saw his lower lip quiver. I felt how my eyes became wet, and decided to laugh simply to make the occasion less gloomy. After a failed attempt to stop himself, the man turned towards Chanyeol, hiding his round face in the taller’s shoulder. I went on to my next recipient. She may appear something she’s not, but no one could take away the precious memories I’ve created alongside my eonnie. She saw how the atmosphere was getting emotional, so she acted the best way she could to bring everything back to balance: she jokingly punched me on my left upper arm while wearing a sly smirk on her yet feminine mien.

 

MJ: Ouch! Don’t be so rude Lan! Haha, I’m just teasing. Eonnie, you appeared in our path just at the perfect moment. A weapon like yours is rare to come by, but rarer is its dedicated wielder, who must be trained to survive and protect. Your battle skills can’t be outmatched, and your tactics are those of a professional, yet you bear a noble and gentle heart. You’ve shown a sweet side, even if you haven’t been aware yourself, and I think it’s just beautiful how you’ve taken care of the girls – and the guys! – with your eonnie-nuna  responsiveness; you’ve almost become the eomma as well! Also, I know we’ve already talked about this, but I just want to remind you that someone special is also feeling the same way towards you, if you know what I mean! (I winked at her; she flushed). It wouldn’t have mattered if you were a man or a woman, either way I’m grateful to the same extent. Thank you for keeping a close eye on me when I faltered, and also for being my one and only eonnie… LanFang, I love you!

 

The young woman smiled brightly, beaming a caring stare as she came forth to embrace me in a tight, sisterly hug. LanFang had shown how mischievous she could be, hence I decided to play on her my own little joke. Still in the middle of the affectionate gesture, I gave away the mood riser.

 

MJ: Awwww!! How feminine of you, oppa! Haha! …OUCH!

 

The girl had separated and punched me again in the arm. I touched the area as I made a hurt expression, trying to bear the consequences of my little jest; at least the rest of the gang was having their laughs.

 

MJ: Eonnie! Wae you so mean?!

 

LanFang had turned her little grimace into a chuckle. She gestured how she didn’t mind my last statement; she was just scolding me for letting everyone in on her “secret”.

 

MJ: Ooooh! It was THAT! No problem then gull... XIUMIN!!! Make sure no one find out about her secret!... teehee

 

After a ghastly expression the woman only facepalmed herself, trying to hide the embarrassment. XiuMin graciously placed his left hand on her shoulder, making the concerned girl look at him. With a lovable smile, he gave his partner a thumbs up, making the blushing female slowly return a soft smile. I enjoyed the situation that was unfolding right before my eyes, yet knew I had to go on. Taking some steps to my right, I came face to face with our tall Maknae. I took her petite face in my hands, slowly caressing her soft pinkish cheeks as I admired her un-Earthly beauty. Her eyes somehow managed to make contact with mine…

 

MJ: Lia-sshi! I still feel remorseful about the way I treated you when we first met; I pray you find it in you to someday forgive me. Still, I was destined to meet you one way or another; you were sent from the havens with a special purpose for us all. Your pure and innocent heart had lived many cruelties, yet they have only made you stronger, giving you the courage to fight for what’s right. The World is filled with many obstacles, but you will overcome them all with your unwavering determination. I will be eternally grateful for the lectures you’ve given me on Life, showing how underneath your angelic appearance there is a perseverant woman. Your exquisite talents have helped us greatly in the game, but your presence has melted the hearts of our members, making them all show benevolence amidst this cruel place. Your brother will be impressed when he notices your extraordinary growth. Once we escape, I would love to accompany you on your mission to help others… Lia, I love you and thank you for being my baby girl!

 

Lia’s beautiful blue pupils were disturbed by clear tears that now fell down her cheeks. Soft and sweet weeps were heard coming from the younger’s pink lips. Slowly extending her arms forwards, she managed to find my arms, pulling herself towards me, and finally hiding her face in my bosom. I placed my head above hers as I slid my right hand over her perfect blond curls. I had tried to control myself up till now, but it was impossible not to cry at a moment were only delicate truths were being spoken. I then hid my face in between her mane, hearing how the others sniffled and snorted as they shifted their positions to interact with neighbors or simply hide. Lia pulled on my right hand, until she had her palm in mine. Slowly she made signs, giving my heart the peace it needed: “there is nothing no forgive”… Some minutes went by, and the girl had calmed herself; before departing from her, I kissed her forehead. After leaving my arms, LanFang became the girls leaning pal. I continued, and found before me none other than my twin sister from another mother. All it took was one stare to make her tumble over me, clasping me in her arms with great force and love. I hugged her back as tight as I could, showing her just how much she really meant to me.

 

MJ: HaeRi…My lost friend! At last, there was a reward after so many years of solitude and tears. Your disappearance caused great grief within me; never would I forget my beloved sister. When I found you here my heart was afraid of learning you were an hallucination, but you were real! You were alive, yet you weren’t the same person. You were still the same lovable HaeRi I had grown up with, but the unpleasant experiences you had to go through sharpened your senses. You had acquired a need to survive and protect yourself… maybe because I, the one who had to protect you, failed.  And like I said, I will never forgive myself for not taking matters into my hands…We’ve known each other since little, so you know all my secrets just like I know yours, but a reminder should never be rejected. HaeRi, I love you, and I want to thank you for exchanging roles with me. Two years ago I was the one who always looked after you, making sure you were always happy; but now, it was you who cared for me, especially in those moments when my emotions overtook me. Also, what you did with Lia, how you dedicated time and effort into making her feel comfortable amongst us… all the gold in the World is not enough to repay your tenderhearted deed….

 

We hadn’t let go of each other the time my monologue lasted. After coming to a silent moment, and giving ourselves a last tight squeeze, we pulled apart, witnessing our watery complexions. I smiled at her, wiping away the excess drops that bothered her face. As I went on to the next person, HaeRi and Lia merged in a warm embrace. Now I stood inches away from the man I tried to kill and then saved. The hidden ally that has acted both as a friend and a father, but mainly known as our personal doctor. The milky white young man smiled, letting out a sweet chuckle. He grasped my hands in his and slowly brought them to his lips, kissing them like a prince. I thought I had cried because I was with the girls, but this man kept my eyes just as moistened. I transmitted my sincerest emotions through a childish glance.

 

MJ: YiXing Oppa, there are so many things I want you to know! I ask for your forgiveness for attacking you when we first met. I’m also very ashamed of my emotional discharges throughout the game, having to put you through the stress of guiding the pack while getting me under control at the same time. And of course, there is no possible way to measure the immense respect and gratitude I have towards you for always taking care of our ill and hurt members… not only physically, but emotionally as well. For now, I’ll simply treasure your teachings and put them to use, knowing that they are full of wisdom and certainty. But above all, I want you to know I love you, and that I look forward to a dance class with Lay Oppa…

 

The man gave out a thoughtful smile, not wasting time between his thoughts and actions. The older pulled me by the hands he already had a grip on, making me rest my head on his chest while he carefully tighten his smooth arms around me, conveying his brotherly love. He patted my head, and I simply held onto his shirt. After separating and giving off our smiles I continued to the next recipient. This time, I felt my speech would be somewhat harder to express… It meant I would have to confess what I felt for him at some point in the journey, and especially what I DON’T feel now, but it had to be done the best possible way. He was already smiling at me with those thin pink lips slightly hiding those perfect aligned teeth, crowned by the pointiest and slender nose Heaven had created. Even though I wasn’t in accordance with his feelings, I still owed the melancholic man my life. I smiled back with a calm gaze, taking his right hand in both of mine. I squeezed it tightly, showing him just how real my words were.

 

MJ: Just like Chanyeol, we found you almost at the end of the game, but on the contrary, I’ve managed to live various moments with you. JunMyun Oppa, it may have been little time, but it was enough to see your courage and devotion, risking your own life and well being for my sake. The way you intervened between me and death on both occasion, have not been easy for me to forgive, but above all, it hasn’t been easy  to decipher what could have gone through your mind at those moments, neither what my heart felt. It’s like you were driven by something far beyond your body and mind. But I finally found out what it was, and I thank you for showing me the answer. I believe those beautiful emotions you have will one day flourish on the right path, leaving behind every trace of pain and deception, but still carrying around the memories that will give you the knowledge to survive in the World. It’s hard to believe that such a sweet and delicate exterior houses so many dark secrets and emotions; but that’s why I’ll help you overcome them all! Once we leave, you will regain your purpose to live, and we’ll do it together, all of us! For the time being let’s keep being close friends; that’s something that I treasure more than anything else in the world. So SuHo, thank you for protecting and caring about me, but above all, for being my Guardian Angel. I love you Oppa…

 

The man’s unceasing glow made his grin seem even more welcoming, casting rays of beauty that soothed me from the inside out. Even though he wanted to be treated as a man, I was glad he was finally accepting the fact I liked him as a friend. With the same angelic mien, the older came forth and took me into a soft hug, finishing his gesture with a kiss on my right cheek. I wasn’t taken aback, since I knew what he was capable of, but what surprised me was I was wrong: he still didn’t see me as a friend, but a woman. Not because he just kissed me, but because he produced something in me that I would describe as disturbing. Suddenly, the peace he had just transmitted was transformed into worry… But I had already told him what I thought about him; if he thought about me in another way, I couldn’t interfere with his mind and soul… I slowly got myself released from his clutch and continued to the next and last of my allies… Now it was time for the moment of truth! The moment I had been trying to evade because of my lack of consciousness; because I myself didn’t know what I truly wanted to say… Now I had to face Kim JongIn: the man that torments me from the deepest corner of my subconscious. We were standing face to face, eyes in constant deep contact. I had shared a smile with everyone else, yet now I couldn’t bring myself to make the slightest little smirk. Kai had no definite expression, but he looked like he was waiting for me to make the first move. I was nervous, something that had not happened with any of the other 7 members of my new family. I felt my throat going dryer than it already was, and my hands trembled ever so slightly. I simply wanted to tell him the truth, so why am I overreacting? There isn’t anything wrong in that, so why am I afraid? Is it because of what the rest might think? Is it because of how Kai might react?... or is it because I don’t know how to say it? Right now I had reached Time Zero, and there was no escape from the moment. I took in a deep gush of cold desert breeze, closed my eyes and without coming into contact with the young man, I began my most awaited dialogue till now.

 

MJ: I remember the first time I saw you, over a week ago… Never did I imagine I would develop such a strong connection with you. I never thought there would be a day were LuHan had competition; two men fighting over the same position in my heart. Ever since I met you, you became the friend I needed to give me strength; a person whom I could lean myself on when I was tired, sad, or afraid. You JongIn… you became an essential part of me! We’ve shared not only materials, but memories as well; memories that have marked my heart in various ways. You’ve saved me multiple times, and we’ve had our quarrels a few occasions as well; still, every moment was necessary to make our friendship stronger. Our relation only consisted on respect and teamwork, but above all, love! All our misunderstandings were solved quickly with a sincere and concrete communication, not giving any opportunity for a doubt to raise amidst us two. I was very happy with the way we interacted, especially when the over protective older brother came out. I also remember with cheer those moments when I scolded you for having a cold heart, because I knew that with a little help you would slowly warm up. You trusted me with your secrets, and I trusted you in the same matter. I believed everything you told me and I copied your every move, right from the very start when I barely knew you; and now that I’ve learn about you I would blindly follow your footsteps anywhere they’d lead me to. I would never doubt my worrisome father; my heart would never waver in regards to Kim JongIn… From the moment we met, as each day passed, we got closer to each other, making each of our lives part of the other; sharing our pains and smiles every moment we could. Slowly, you had become LuHan’s substitute: you had become my Best Friend. Everything you did, I would compare you to LuHan. At times I would look at you and only imagine my lost friend… But then I knew that wasn’t true; I knew that it was all a trick of my feeble mind! YOU! Only you in your complete persona were my best friend, not taking LuHan into regards of any kind! Your one of a kind; unique in every way! You had officially entered my heart as yourself!  That’s the Kai I’m use to, and the one I vastly love and admire… Now… no one is superior to the other: you’ve helped me be a better person just as I’ve helped you. You’ve made mistake, and I made even bigger ones, but each situation had its proper conclusion. Now, it seems like a little mistake has gotten the best out of both, making us look like fools before the World’s eyes, and selfish in our own. Ever since Kris appeared, you and I have been avoiding each other, and…it hurts… (I felt my voice crack, and even with closed eyes I felt how they became wet all around).  Kai! What happened? Why is this occurring now, right at the very end? Right when I need to be at the top of my game! I…I know I tried to get away from you at first, but it was because I needed some time alone. Afterwards I went after you, and you were already giving me the cold shoulder. And I tried multiple times to call your attention, but you never faced me... But still, look at you just now! You excitedly interacted with me, forgetting your grudge! You know why? Because deep down in your subconscious, you don’t hold those feelings against me; you’re just confused… and so am I…Kai! We can’t let this go on, we need to solve it now! Kai, tell me why your being like this? Tell me what happened!... KAI, ANSWER ME!!

 

I had taken the sensible young man by the shoulders, shaking him drastically, to see if the sudden movement woke him up from the trance he was in. I had opened my eyes, finally seeing the tanned boy’s hurtful expression. He growled at me, taking my arms and pushing them to the ground, liberating himself from my touch. He desperately began to move his arms and mouth. He was slowly turning his angry grimace into a sorrowful mien. At the end of his words the man closed his eyes, biting his lower lip hard, while marking his fingernails in his own tight fists. He hung his head backwards, directing his vision to the sky, avoiding any possible stare even when he had his eye curtain’s closed… He had explained what happened, not physically, but in his heart…

 

When Kris attacked me, Kai wasn’t fast enough to prevent the blow. If it hadn’t been for SuHo, I would have been killed. Only by a fraction of seconds Kai had reacted late. At that moment he felt useless, but also angry at the fact someone else had been my hero. After the encounter he wanted to know if I was alright, besides try to figure out what Kris’ encoded speech had meant. But when he came towards me I evaded him, taking my “new hero” for a congratulatory message, instead of him. JongIn was devastated, thinking he had been replaced. He became infuriated with himself, and at the same time, with me for throwing him aside with so much ease. Every time I got near him he couldn’t bear the pain, and simply ignored me or did what he was asked in a bad manner. Being separated from me during the guard shifts and on the horses made him see just how carefree I was being about the problem, since I wasn’t showing any signs of discomfort; he felt completely alone. Still, even amidst his furry, he couldn’t resist his true desires of reaching the end of the game with me by his side; hand in hand ready to face whatever obstacle decided to separate us… We would win… together…

 

So all this hadn’t been because I evaded him, but because he couldn’t save me… because it had been SuHo… I already know he dislikes JunMyun because of my attention, so it made perfect sense! Kai felt replaced by his enemy! If he knew what the content of those conversations were… He would be enraged! This guy! No matter how many times I tell him he will never be replaced, he keeps flailing!... Of course he’s weak against his own emotions, because he believes I don’t share his same feelings… Those feelings I recently discovered that JongIn had for me… The ones that are pricking my heart right at this very moment… I couldn’t bear this pain anymore! I had to tell him how I felt… even… even if I myself would be astonished at my own declarations…

 

I took the broken man’s hand, pulling him away from the perplexed crowd that only stared at us both. I saw SuHo was somehow troubled by the sudden news, avoiding my eyes when they came over him. JongIn didn’t make any resistance, so I dragged him far from the rest, exactly to where we had entered the Temple’s plaza.  There he stood, still with closed eyes; his hurtful grimace was directed towards me. This was personal, I was ready to act only on my emotions and forget everyone was staring at us from the Temple gates. I let my heart guide me, making me come close to Kai, and in a second, embrace him… A touch different from all the others before… A contact that was far from our usual… He didn’t correspond to the action, simply staying still. I stood on my toes, making it possible for me to place my face on the crook of his neck, closing in to his ear. Our secrets would stay only between us…

 

MJ: …I just confessed I would die trusting you, yet you still doubt my words. It’s been far too many times I’ve told you I would never replace you; how no one, not even LuHan, would become in between our faithful relation… And I understand you’ve gone though many deceptions with others you’ve encountered before me; and I know there isn’t a single reason for you to think I’m different… After all, we’re all humans and we have a tendency to change or be changed. I…I changed in this game; a change that I thought was impossible to attain, not even in Heaven or Hell. You don’t know how much torment I have gone through, trying to prohibit myself from letting my heart change. I tried and tried, and once again I condemned myself for even having the slightest thoughts that I could acquire another idea; another goal; another desire... No one ever noticed, and I never told anyone either; whatever the outcome would be, I would perish with it alone!...

 

I had become agitated, and my voice was louder. I took some seconds to calm myself, but never letting go of the young man. Upon seeing he had no intentions of interacting with me, I couldn’t control the urge to weep. I heaved with pain! I tighten my grip on the man, trying to make him a part of me… Praying he could see my heart, and I didn’t have to say anything else…

 

MJ: …Since the day we first met, you’ve filled me with courage to go on. At times when I thought I couldn’t continue, I only had to take a glance at you to become stronger… Your simple presence makes me want to live! You are the motive that keeps pulling me forth; the one that reminds me I have a duty to fulfill… I came here with a purpose: to save LuHan… That’s left in the past… Now I have another objective: to save everyone from this game, and bring peace to those who have aided me along the way… Kai… All I want is to make you happy… All I want is to see you smile, always! You…You don’t know how much energy your smile brings my heart, and seeing you in so much pain just weakens me…

 

The tanned boy finally made a movement. He lowered his head, hiding it between my messy hair; I felt his heavy breathing collide against my neck. His hands were gripping the fabric of the blazer around my waist, tugging on them ever so slightly.

 

 

MJ:…I know you sent Lay to keep an eye on SuHo… I know you dislike him; you hate him deeply… I will not make you change your mind; you have your reasons for feeling this way towards him, even though I keep telling you he isn’t a threat to our friendship... But, have you ever stop to think how this affects me? Do you know how it feels to be indebted to both of you; to everyone? Do you think it’s easy bearing a neutral attitude for everyone, making sure all are fairly treated?... Tell me JongIn, how can I make you both happy, if every time I do something either one of you is hurt? You may think I’m very attached to JunMyun because of affectionate matters, but it’s not…. Besides loving him as a friend, the truth is I pity him deeply… Every one of us has fought for survival, even Lia with her impediment, but SuHo… SuHo lost his will to fight a long time ago.  All I want is to help him. Is that a crime JongIn? Does helping a lonely soul mean eternal suffering for me?... Sometimes, I’m the one who thinks if you’re the one who will leave me…

 

The man now wrapped his arms around me with strength. I could feel his chest moving with increasing speed. I as well tighten my grip on him, moving my lips right over his perfectly cupped ear.

 

MJ: JongIn! I’m sorry!... I’m sorry if I ever doubted you… If I ever offended you… If you ever felt underestimated or used! I’m sorry my constant emotional breakouts have hurt you!! But above all…. I’m…I’m sorry I didn’t fulfill your expectations about me… I feel like I’ve failed you all in many aspects, but I’ve failed you the most because… I hadn’t realized what you were going though… I didn’t know how you felt…about me…

 

JongIn suddenly stopped his embrace; he’s strength upon me had decreased. He slowly removed his arms from my back and took a hold of me by the shoulders. He gently began to pull me, trying to separate me from him; trying to break the tight grasp I still had on him. I refused! I didn’t let go, instead I held with all the force I could. I didn’t want to see his face; if I did, I would crumble at the very spot. Expressing all these emotions isn’t something easy; seeing the person up close would only overwhelm my heart. I felt as the little composure I bore disappeared. My heart was now at the tip of my tongue…

 

MJ: KAI! Don’t let me go… PLEASE! Don’t abandon me! I need you!... Please stay with me… I don’t know what I’d do if you leave me… I promised you something Kai… Remember: I will always protect you no matter what!... You and I must be together forever… Don’t you see Jongin!? CAN’T YOU SEE MY HEART!?... I…I…

 

…I…love you Kai…

…I love you like no other…

…My heart will accept you in every form: father…son… brother…friend… and…

…and…

…and Best Friend…

 

Without you, I’m Incomplete…

 

I had finished my speech. I couldn’t go on; I was already crying without a care, bawling my grief. JongIn once again embraced me, squeezing me with force while caressing my back with tender motions. He moved his head, looking at me now. I kept my eyes closed, but I felt his forehead against my head as he sobbed closely to my ear; his wet eyes and nose were against my cheek. I had shown Kai my soul, every single true emotion that was inside me. Yet, I didn’t tell him something… I had left out one simple, and significant, word… A word my heart accepted, but my brain denied; in the end, I couldn’t bear myself to say it… Once again, I would have to battle myself to find the true answer; to see if that answer is real… For now, I had told my lovely partner how I felt about him, around him, and with him… I’ll talk to him again after the game; I’m sure by then my heart would have sort everything out…

 

We stayed like that some time; sadly we had to separate if we ever wanted to go on.  I let go of him, gently pulling apart from the tight clasp. I cleared my face from all the tears while JongIn looked to the ground, trying to hide his face, but I wasn’t about to let him. I extended my right hand and took his chin, pulling his head up until we had eye contact. For the first time I saw his wet face; I finally met Kai’s tears. In other occasions he would conceal his face or I would feel his drops through my clothing, but never had I witnessed him. I admired the image before me, copying every little aspect and saving it all inside my heart. It was painful seeing the man like this, yet I was honored how he gave me the privilege of watching this personal image of his. I wiped his face with my left hand, finishing off with a smile.

 

MJ: Tell me Kai… Are we clear on everything? Is there anything you want to tell me? Speak now, because once we end this game, we’ll be different people… and who knows what might happen…

 

The man slowly let a smile creep on his withered face; he shook his head with gentle swifts of his head. It was alright if he didn’t want to “talk”; his actions expressed it all. He looked different: he seemed to have grown in these last moments. He had become a man upon recognizing the truth. And so, it was time to go back to the rest of the group, so we could all end this once and for all. I let go of his chin and took his hand, pulling him after me, but he didn’t follow. I looked back to find him gesturing something at me.

 

MJ: What is it Kai?...You.. want to ask me something? Okay, tell me; I’m all ears for you!

 

JongIn began his movements, both from the hands and lips, giving away his question, which caught me off guard.

 

MJ: Kai… how… how do you know SuHo kissed me?...You saw us!? Let me explain Kai…I… I didn’t want you to find out because I knew how defensive you would get, but since you found out I’ll tell you so you don’t get the wrong idea. SuHo… Suho confessed he liked me as a woman, not a friend. And I told him I wasn’t interested in that sort of thing, especially with him because I did see him as a friend. Still in the end, he refused to back down and kissed me all of a sudden. I was mad at him, but like I told you, I didn’t want to hurt him anymore… Wait, you didn’t send Lay to spy on me then, right?!

 

The boy embarrassedly scratched his nape while looking the other way. He rapidly explained that he was worried. Somehow he knew from the beginning that SuHo was after me, so he was always trying to protect me. Besides that, JunMyun didn’t inspire him any confidence, not like the rest of the boys we encountered. SuHo was different; Kai simply felt it.

 

MJ: I know how you feel, and I can’t differ with you: SuHo indeed is a strange person… even weirder than Chanyeol. But, I think that’s just the effects of being so alone. Still, don’t worry, I’ll be careful; I promise! And… thank you for taking care of me… it means the World… I’m glad you asked me, I really wanted to let that out of my chest; just promise me you won’t go fight with JunMyun now. After the game we can settle business; for the time being, let’s just keep everything at peace… Are we good and ready?

The conformable man nodded, being him this time the one to take my hand and drag me along. We walked towards the others, who were nervously eyeing us. Once with them, I was about to tell everyone all was well, when every single eye was set on the spectacle that was taking place at the moment…. Kai had gone up to JunMyun, stretching his arm forth, waiting for the older to shake his. SuHo looked at JongIn with confusion, but finally understood the message. He smiled and took his dongsaeng’s hand, giving it a strong shake while giving him a pat on the shoulder. Kai knew well it would be for the best; he sacrificed his pride for the group and me… He was indeed special… And without further ado, it was time…

 

MJ: Everyone! All of our matters have been set and each one of you knows what has been laid on the table for this awaited moment! The night shines upon us, and the final stage is only feet away. Whatever awaits us, we’ll overcome it… together! Remember: never back down, but above all, protect your allies and keep an eye on your surroundings. Everyone, be strong! May God lead us to victory…

 

The crowd smiled as I began to walk towards the nearby door; my family followed with great imposing force. Once before the majestic entrance I admired its prominence; something valuable and important must be hidden inside. I placed my hands over the golden handles and with a strong push the doors slowly opened, creaking and lifting ancient sand into the atmosphere. Inside, all that loomed was darkness…

------------------------------
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Im sorry I didnt upload in a while. Some family matters happened, and well everything has been a mess.

This chapter took me about a week to write, because I was taking care of my Grandma for a cople of days, so I had little time to write.

But that won't be happening again.... She died today... So I would like to dedicate this long, emotive chapter to her... I'll miss you 'buela~ <3