The Ugly Truth

The Shadow Games

SH: Well MinJeong, are you prepared for battle?

 

MJ: NO! I don’t want to fight you SuHo… I can’t! I can’t hurt someone that shared moments with me; even if that person is an enemy… I met you as a needy prisoner, and that’s how my heart still recognizes you… Please JunMyun! There must be another way!

 

SH: It was very easy blending in as a prisoner. By wearing a fake Cyanide pod and dragging a chain was enough to trick you all; I simply remained without making a sound. It was I who attacked Chanyeol at the maze. Afterwards, I simply cut myself and hid behind the bushes, just like I’d done with your friend. That way, you would all think we both got attacked by the same person, making me just as innocent as the rest of the prisoners. Still, I had to make sure not to bleed to death or get a disease, which is why I brought my own healing salts; it was you MinJeong who made up the lie for me, saying Kris had given them to me. Ha! You people really are stupid! How did you not notice that every time I was paired up with someone a tragedy occurred? Back at the dessert it was quiet an easy task to divert the horse Chanyeol and I road; I only injected the wild animal with a high dose of anabolic steroids, causing it to have a sudden increase in blood pressure, which is why it went on a rampage without even making a sound. Also, Chanyeol didn’t faint on his own; I gave him a blow to the nape, making him unconscious for some time. When we were about to fall into the quicksand, I jumped from the horse and landed on normal ground. I watched how your friend slowly drowned, but then I heard you get near. I had to make sure you didn’t uncover my secret, so I threw myself to the muck, making sure I would survive. Not only did I cause physical damage, but emotional and mental as well! All I had to do was look deep into your eyes to mix up all your emotions and get you in constant arguments with your beloved JongIn. Jealousy played her cards right as well! I just had to win your trust, only to betray you at the very end, hurting you where you most felt it…

 

MJ: SHUT UP!!!!

 

Chanyeol began to run towards his cruel ex-partner, but Lay and XiuMin prevented the tall man from going on. His grunts expressed just how much hate and resentment grew inside his cheerful heart. JunMyun grinned at Chanyeol, making a fool of the young man that once had trusted him, unknown to the Master’s vile deeds.

 

MJ: HOW COULD YOU DO SUCH A THING TO CHANYEOL… TO US!! AND YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME!! YOU…you are unknown to my personal situations and emotions… DON’T TRY TO TRICK ME!

 

SH: Trick you?! Let me tell you a little secret MinJeong; something you don’t even know… Remember that time you had a nightmare, and you said someone told you some confusing things? Guess what! Those statements weren’t part of your subconscious; it was I who delivered the message in your sleep. I’m not only trained for physical combat, but emotional behavior as well. I knew very well how to enter your conscious without you even noticing it… The ancient Exotics had some nice tactics up their sleeves… Now do you believe me?

 

One of my biggest fears had turned into a reality: someone has hacked into my interior persona and witnessed all my secrets. That someone was an enemy, even if I wanted to deny it, and if I didn’t act on my behalf, that person would destroy me from the inside out… just like he has been doing ever since I set foot on Exotica. I felt weak at the moment; all I wanted was to throw myself at the ground and wait for everything to pass on its own, but that wasn’t going to happen. I extended an arm forward, trying to grasp JongIn’s shoulder, but just at the moment my legs gave in and I began to fall. Luckily, my partner caught me on time, taking me into his chest. I wrapped myself around him, clutching him in a tight hug and hiding my face between his shirt; he held me with the same force. The others still remained in the battle formation.

 

SH: See what I mean MinJeong? No matter where you go, what you do or how many promises you make, you keep being the same person; the same insignificant girl that can’t control herself for the wellfare of others. Have you ever stopped to think how much your comrades have suffered every time you go on an emotional frenzy? All the consequences your abrupt actions have caused them AND LuHan? You keep calling yourself a mother, trying to bring peace and love to all “your children”, but all you really do is hurt them… you confuse them MinJeong… Have you thought that maybe they already gave up on you and your friendship, and are simply following you for their own freedom?... Don’t you feel alone sometimes? Maybe it’s because you really are… You might think that with a single glance you can distinguish people’s emotions, but… did it work with me? Are you really using your “two pair of eyes” correctly?

 

He was getting to me! He was slowly eating my brain. I already doubted myself; now I was starting to doubt my friends as well. I couldn’t let his words confuse me; that was all he really wanted! But still, how true or false were these statements? Do I event want to know? I simply ruffled my face in Kai’s chest as he tightened his grip around me, trying to block the sounds that reached me. I sensed how the gang began to position themselves in between SuHo and me, forming a thick human barrier; weapons in hand and faces full of fury.

 

SH: How moving! Your children are putting on a SHOW! They learned well from their troublesome “mother”; a professional actress in the arts of façades.

 

I was still in JongIn’s arms, and I could feel his heartbeat right next to my own… I wasn’t about to let an enemy’s words take away from me my most valuable possessions. I was feeling the strength come into me once more, filling me with courage to face the pains SuHo was inflicting with each sharp word. I had to prove him, prove all my friends and LuHan, that Kim JunMyun was wrong about me…that he’s wrong about all of us! We aren’t like him; we’re different! I began to get up, Kai helping me at each moment, until I was fully standing. I slowly separated from him and stared into his crystallized eyes. All it took was a simple look to know everything the Master had said was a lie… I knew my eyes well -my heart’s eyes- , and Kim JongIn was the light that guided me right now… I smiled at the tanned boy and directed my glare towards the once-angelic man. As I talked, I passed in between my friends, touching their shoulders so they would lower their weapons: this was MY battle!

 

MJ: You may be right about me having emotional crisis all the time, and how everyone had to go through some tough moments because of me; but you’re wrong about my allies! I know them enough to assure they are TRUE friends, not like you. Whenever I got near you I felt distressed and uncomfortable; feelings of arousal surrounded my mind and body. But when I’m with my REAL friends, my true family, I feel encouraged! I feel how I can overcome any obstacle that comes my way. They are my will power to go on in this game; they are my strength…

 

SH:…they’re also your weakness!!!

 

With a quick and sharp-sounding snap of his fingers seven hooded figures jumped from the bridges above, landing next to my friends. Each Exotic took a hold of one of my allies, grasping their hands behind their backs with an arm, while knotting the other one around their necks. I stood still as I watched the men drag the gang towards the outer part of the area, right towards the front of the dark entrance; they all struggled to free themselves from the strong enemies, but failed.

 

MJ: DON’T HURT THEM!

 

SH: Once again, I have proven to you just how much I know about you. See how wonderful it is to gain someone’s trust and drain information out of them? It’s the same information I will use against you… Now that we have your “friends” out of the way, and there isn’t anything else to discuss… Shall we commence?

 

MJ: I know fighting against you will be difficult, both physically and emotionally, but if it’s the only way to save the ones I love… I’ll have to forget I ever felt something towards you…

 

SH: You mean the love you felt for me as a son, a friend, an older brother… or that hormonal behavior you got when we first met?... Which one is it?

 

MJ: ALL OF THEM! I don’t care how you found out about all those feelings, but you’ll regret you ever played with them!

 

I slowly paced back until I was standing next to my weapon. I bent over and grabbed my sword; the one I had won in battle. I gasped it tightly in my right hand, feeling how my blood furiously ran though my fingers and the rest of my body. My eyes never left the snickering devil, who I still pitied deeply. I got on my battle position: knees bent and feet apart; both hands holding the 4-foot-long sword by its elaborately engraved hilt.

 

 

LuHan was still captive, and now the rest of my friends were as well. It will be a hard task putting my emotions aside, but it has to be done. I can’t risk the lives of the people I love –and even the rest of the prisoners- because I can’t find the courage to confront someone I considered special… I have to forget everything we did, and all that we talked about, because they were all lies! Hurtful deceptions that toyed with my mind, heart and soul! He must be stopped, before another of his treasons unfolds… Next time it could be far worse that what he’s already caused… Without removing my sight from JunMyun, I spoke to my allies; it was my time to encourage them.

 

MJ: EVERYONE! Don’t panic; I will set you free! I will win this battle, and we will escape together! TRUST ME! Remember… I will always protect you no matter what!... LUHAN! Be calmed! I have not failed you… I’M HERE! And I will save you! Just BELIEVE in me…like you’ve always have… And YOU SuHo… I tried to help you, even after knowing all your tricks and treachery, but you’re far too corrupted to be saved… Sadly, there is only one way out of your arrogant misery...

 

…I’m ready…

 

SH: I hope you enjoyed your last moments of speech, MinJeong. After I’m through with you, it will be a miracle if you even make it to the prison. I believe a coffin would suit you better… or maybe the bottom of the waterfal—

 

MJ: I SAID I’m ready!! Are we going to fight or what!?

SH: Now isn’t that your true form! Such an uncivilized young woman; you truly haven’t changed one bit… Very well then, as you wish…

 

The man finished his words with a coarse voice; an obscure sound from a fiendish possession. His young melodic vocals had been but a fallacy as well. Kim JunMyun raised his right hand in the air once again, this time holding one of his slender throwing knives.

 

 

SH: We commence… NOW!

 

As SuHo announced the beginning of the battle, he threw the knife towards the soil right below him, letting the small weapon stand in the center of the arena. I didn’t give him a chance to get a head start; I began to run towards him right after he had finished his battle cry. He simply stood there, watching as I got nearer and nearer, until I was right in front of him, ready to punch the man’s face. JunMyun once again used his lightning speed, diverting my attack by grabbing my wrist. He turned me over, making my back collide against his chest, where he immobilized both my arms; I grunted as I tried to maintain balance. I began to struggle, but he was far stronger than me, taking a tight grasp on my hands. At that moment a flashback came, and I remembered my dream: SuHo had me in this very position… He himself made my brain re-create what he would do in real life to me… He began to talk close to my ear, sending a spine-chilling sensation.

 

SH: How pitiful! You have a perfectly good weapon, yet you decide to attack me with your bare hands… do you suffer from a learning disability?! Haha!... So you believe you can save your friends like this? Once again I wonder if you even care about them, I mean, look at them under my possession, yet you come at me with so little interest…

 

There they were, all my friends, under the hands of unknown Exotics that could hurt them at any moment. Everyone’s eyes showed fear; even brave JongIn was afraid of all that surrounded him at the moment. My heart was in pain, because even if I wanted to deny it, Suho was right…

 

MJ: STOP toying with MY friends, and START worrying about YOURS!!! WAIT! YOU DON’T HAVE ANY!!

SH: I believe I told you Sehun is my friend.

 

MJ: What about Kris? He’s suppose to be your friend as well; for some reason he’s your 2nd-in-command. Yet, you just classified him as a traitor that needs punishment! What about BaekHyun?! He DIED! And all you do is make fun of him! He was 3rd-in-command, right? Aren’t those positions you give to people you care about and trust?!.... He was right… YOU TRICKED THEM ALL!

 

SH: Ah, poor naïve MinJeong. We’re in a battle of life and death; positions are just but a strategy to win. As I just told you, Sehun is my only friend; my deer little brother. I gave him the safest position in the game: the Mid-prisoner’s guardian. It is a way of remunerating those childhood years I left him unprotected. On the other hand, Kris was someone I wanted to keep out of the way; very far away from Sehun. Still, he had a very powerful mind; maybe because he was older. I gave him his well-deserved position, not only as a ‘thank you’ offering for taking care of Sehun in the past, but because he would be next to me, where I could see his every move. Being my right hand man, he had to be loyal to my word; something he failed at in this specific game... I still ask myself why?...

 

I looked towards the platform above, witnessing the serious expression Oh Sehun bore upon hearing such cruel words. Just then it seemed like Sehun was another one of JunMyun’s puppets, dominated by fear of their Master’s scoldings.

 

SH: As for BaekHyun, he was simply far younger than all 3 of us; around his mid-thirties. With so many talents, he would one day replace me after my death, but FORTUNATELY, he didn’t even make it to his promotion to 2nd-in-command. His dream was cut short by one young woman…

 

MJ: FORTUNATELY?! Are you saying you’re HAPPY BaekHyun Died?!

 

SH: But of course! He wasn’t worthy of taking such a title! I always knew he had emotional unstableness, but never would I have thought he would betray me. He gave you confidential information about the final encounter; he almost blurred out my identity! He simply felt a little consideration coming from you and immediately let loose his own feelings…

 

MJ: I HATE YOU!! YOU DEMON!!  HOW COULD YOU?! THEY TRUSTED YOU! THEY FOLLOWED YOU!!!They… THEY ONLY SEEKED AFFECTION!

 

I began shaking my body abruptly, throwing my weight in all directions trying to free myself from JunMyun. I had a mixture of hate and sorrow that I couldn’t express. I just wanted to kill this man! Show him just how vulnerable he was! Suddenly, I felt a painful kick against my back, which sent me flying forward, making me land on my stomach 5 meters away. The pain was immense, but the enemies words were all the fuel I needed to recover from the blow.

 

SH: Affection? You mean like the one you HAD for LuHan?..Emotions are but ephemeral matters that change with every little aspect in life. No feeling is eternal; you should know that better than anyone MinJeong… You betrayed your own heart!

 

I rolled on the ground, getting on my knees and finally on my feet. Still taking a hold of my sword, I once again rushed forth towards the mocking man. He was trying to confuse me again; he knew what was going on within me! I couldn’t let it happen! I ran, besides the pain every footstep produced in my body. He stretched both hands to the sides with sudden force, letting a small knife slide beneath his sleeves and land on each palm. He remained on the same position, and I was only inches away. I threw a swing forward, using both hands to increase the strength with which it came down. The man blocked my attack with his own weapons, crossing them in front of my blade. Our faces were separated by mere centimeters; I could see he was enjoying this moment. He pushed back, making every steel involved shriek at the sharp contact. This time I didn’t stumble or fall; I simply stepped back to maintain my balance, and at the same time take the pertinent footing to launch myself towards him once more. Now before him I delivered several attacks in various directions, yet he blocked each and every one of them single handed, using one knife at a time. Iron clashes was all the music that could be heard inside the Temple, until the Master talked in between the action. No grunts or signs of fatigues came through his mouth.

 

SH: Haven’t you learned anything in this game, MinJeong? Every time you rush something, someone gets hurt… This time, it’s you!

 

The man swung his right hand at me, still bearing the weapon in it. I caught on to his movement and bent myself backwards, feeling how his sharp utensil glided right through my left cheek, snipping it open superficially. I placed my hand on the soil behind me, taking impulse to raise my legs and topple them over myself, landing on my feet once the instinctive backflip had ended. The man and I now stared at each other with aggressiveness.

 

SH: Your flexibility won’t help you much here, but at least it saved you from a serious injury. I’ll have to stop having fun if we ever want to finish this little dance. Heh!

 

I felt drops of blood run down my face and moisten my vest, still I didn’t take the time to worry about it; bigger matters were at hand. After being in close contact with JunMyun just now, I realized something… In between my panting I managed to communicate with the horrid Master that penetrated my soul with his empty stare…

 

MJ: Being face to face with you, after getting to know your true identity…I finally saw your real complexion… A horrible sight… AN UGLY CREATURE! Your beauty, your angelic presence; it all vanished when I encountered “you” here: the Master… The Monster you really are! You speak so much about beauty and physical appearance, yet you don’t know the true meaning of such a valuable word. I met you as a beautiful person JunMyun: a kind hearted man with a tragic past that tormented you, yet it couldn’t wipe that sweet smile you bore. I first saw you smile the moment you saved me from that mortal blow in the dessert’s battle. I thought an angel had come for me; you were indeed beautiful! But then, as we got near the Temple you began to change, and I began to see you differently. You were still beautiful, but it wasn’t a mesmerizing sight anymore. And then, we entered your territory, and we finally saw who you are… And now I look at you and ask myself how I could have been captivated by your exterior: YOU’RE DISGUSTING! Now I understood why! Beauty…it comes from the heart! Even if a person is ugly on the outside, if they bear a noble heart, they are beautiful in every aspect! JunMyun…you are not a beautiful person… you are an ungraceful being…

 

The man’s stare transformed into a despicable grimace, expressing his full-on hate and anger towards me and my recent definition. His eyes were darts; teeth clenched tightly.

 

SH: No one makes a joke out of my hard-earned dreams, Minjeong…You will repent you ever insulted me…

 

MJ: And you’ll repent you got me involve in your satanic game…