Confusion

The Shadow Games

MJ: What are you doing here, Kris? (My voice gave out that I was irritated).

 

KS: Don’t get stupid with me Miss Park (he was being arrogant). This is my territory, so just be grateful I’m being “polite” enough to announce my own presence. Otherwise, I could have easily kept spying on you, draining out any secret information there could still be hidden…

 

Giving off a pretentious air, Kris slowly walked towards me until he was only a meter away. On the contrary to his usual sarcasm, he was being a snob; there wasn’t even a smirk on his face, only a stern expression… that exotic smirk he always carried around, that even if it was infuriating somehow showed a percentage of light-heartedness. Kris’ voice was harsh and dry instead of mischievous and flirtatious. This man has always been a bittersweet enemy since day one. Behind that coarse exterior there’s a sensible man; he has shown me that side of him. But now I sensed something different in Wu YiFan. Many ideas roamed my mind at the moment pertaining the feeling, and only one prevailed over all: everything had been a false façade. Maybe this was the real Kris, and the man we had been encountering through the game was just a lie to see how far we could get. If that were true, there is no doubt about it: the end is near, meaning that all our enemies, including Kris, will be more powerful and … real. They are all rapidly appearing making sure we never reach the end to this wretched place. But none of it is going to stop us… It was I who now assumed the sarcastic attitude, so I could address Kris and show him just how certain we are about the game and our victory.

 

MJ: Whatever WuFan! Do what you want, because either way are gonna be leaving this place soon. So please, don’t make us waste any of our precious time in one of your “updates”. We’ll be skipping it this time, so thanks for stopping by! You can leave now, thank you!

I finished my speech using a y voice, trying to ridicule the Exotic man in front of us, demonstrating just how much “fright” he could superimpose upon us. Kris was angrier than ever, knuckles cracking as he tightened his fists to both his sides. All of us were staring him down, but no one moved or made a sound. It was then when the unexpected occurred. And it was unexpected because it should have happened days ago and in various occasions, but it didn’t; now it finally came about… Kris came forth towards me at a tremendous speed, coming from such a tall and broad-shoulder man. From under his cloak he took out a dagger and aimed it directly towards my stomach. He was already so near me that I only had time to see the action and think about the awkwardness of the moment, but no time was speared for me to counterattack him or evade; I couldn’t even scream or close my eyes. But the moment I felt the sharp air pass close to my clothing, a hand had stopped the Exotic’s weapon. A millisecond after I was reacting with a scream, followed by another hand pulling me backwards. It was all so fast, or maybe I’m so tired that everything else is faster than me. After acknowledging the fact that I was still alive and unhurt, I managed to identify my savior. Kai…Kai had been the one to pull me backwards, but it was SuHo who had intervened directly with Kris. JunMyun had stretched his arm in time to grab the enemy’s wrist. Both men were now looking at each other with the intensity of a thousand suns. Our ally was increasing his grip around Kris hand, eyes still locked. But soon the dagger fell from the Exotic’s gangrened hand. The tall man pulled himself out of SuHo’s domination, still their eyes never separated; facial expression full of hate and furry… and so I could only remember Kim JunMyung’s sorrowful past. He must really hate these people… Without showing any sign of fear or pain, the 2nd-in-command finally spoke with a pitiful tone that went out of contrast with the situation. His gaze was now on the sandy stone ground.

 

KS: I will not take your words for granted MinJeong… I will wait for your dream to become a reality… Behind these walls lies the end, but only those with a strong heart will survive the peril in it… Physical strength is useless if your body isn’t in synch with your soul… This has been my update for today… and therefore my last…

 

The man directed his view towards me, wearing a pleading expression. He slowly gave me a nod and turned around, giving SuHo one last ugly stare before walking to the edge of the Safe Point. He glanced at the Canyon Walls that stood before us in their Majestic Terracota glory; his back was facing us. Still, I made out the last phrase he pronounced towards the desert wind…

 

KS: … 2 pair of eyes… one for your face… one for your heart… don’t confuse them…

 

And so the man continued walking out of the platform and through the Canyon entrance. I was so confused! I hadn’t gotten over the fact that I was almost murdered, yet I wanted to stop him and ask so many things, but I also didn’t want to keep giving SuHo such a tragic remembrance. But still, Kris was being a mess of emotions and appearances, and I was ever so uncertain about what to think of him. In the midst of so many unanswered doubts, I just did was I felt at the moment. I freed myself from JongIn’s protective grip and walked to the edge of the platform, cupping my hands over my mouth and calling the Exotic’s name with force.

 

MJ: KRIIIS! KRIIIIS!! YIIIIFAAAAN!!!!

The first time I called he stopped walking amidst the Canyon’s corridors. But without turning around or giving a gesture, he continued his way. I kept calling him, telling him to return, but he never did, and in a few minutes he had disappeared behind one of the terracotta curves that led to the end…

 

I took in some deep breathes and composed myself. Even if things weren’t making sense and I was feeling more pressured by the minute, I had to show everyone that I was in complete control of myself and the situation. As their one-way-ticket out of Exotica, all of my friends are counting on me to win this game, and I couldn’t let them see the slightest glimpse of my mind…not now… not when we’re so near the end… And so, I turned around to find the crowd looking at me with worry; except SuHo who still had furrowed brows. I tried to hide my insecurity behind a wide smile.

 

MJ: Don’t worry guys, everything will be fine! I’m sure Kris is just spooking us out, for the simple reason that he’s an enemy. But trust me, everything will turn out fine. We’ve come a long way, so reaching the end should be easy. For now we have to use our time to the max. Everyone, listen well because this might be one of our last strategy plans, if not the last....(even the thought raised a knot in my throat). We don’t know what might be waiting for us down this road, but we need to be ready to face it… Now, the Sun will be coming up soon since the temperature is starting to increase. We will stay here until night falls over us again, which would be in approximately 12 hours. But before the sun comes out in the next hour, men please bring the horses in so they can drink fresh water from the oasis. Lay, since you have the best “medical” experience, please take a look at the water; we don’t know if it might be poisoned. After we get that done, tie the animals to different columns so they have space to stretch and rest. As for us, we must eat, drink, and rest. If any of you want to get into the oasis, you may. As others rest, some will have to make guards; just because we’re in a Safe Point doesn‘t mean we can’t be attacked by other factors besides Exotics. I’ll do the first guard... I believe that would be the plan for the moment, so everyone make haste and take advantage of every second.

 

I clapped my hands so they would all start moving. Lia and RiRi sat down by one of the columns to “talk”. Lan on the other hand was with XiuMin; since he doesn’t get along with horses I guess she’s helping him out. The rest of the men were heading towards the equines as well, except Kai, who was walking towards me. I knew he was going to confront me about all these nonsense that had just happened, but I wasn’t in the mood. I didn’t want him to feel how worry, scared, and stressed I really was. He has come to know me far better than the others, even better that HaeRi, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if he read my mind through my eyes. As he made his way towards me, walking in a clockwise manner around the oasis, I walked towards SuHo in the same clockwise direction, meaning I was running away from Kai and into JunMyun. The latter was slowly making his way after the others, when I got a hold of him by the shoulders and turned him around. He was still sulky, yet he tried to fade his expression when he saw my smile.

 

MJ: JunMyun Oppa. Can we talk for a bit? There are only four horses, so the others can take care of it. I’d like to speak with you for a while… May I?

 

The man slowly nodded, and to my surprise took my right hand into his left one. We separated from the group, walking to the edge of the platform that looked towards the Canyon entrance. On the way we passed by Kai, and I told him to go help the others. He seemed somewhat upset, but simply nodded and turned around to go help the others. We sat on the steps, making sure we were still covered by the platform’s roof, in case the Sun came out of hiding all of a sudden. The young man was still holding my hand, a grasp that was sweet yet terrifying; another confusing feeling. I took my free hand and placed it over his, grasping it in both of mine. I looked at him, making him face me, were he finally showed me one of those spectacular smiles that make you float…

 

MJ: SuHo-sshi, once again thank you for saving me. Your bravery keeps amazing me with each passing day. And your fighting techniques are quiet surprising; I didn’t know you had so much speed! But well, I know….I know it’s hard for you to face the Exotics, especially after all they’ve done to you, and to everyone else… But we’re almost there! We’re almost done with this stupid game! And, I need everyone in top-notch, and having you with these emotional outbreaks isn’t good. I know how it feels to be emotionally charged in every aspect: sadness, furry, rage, uncertainty… And the decisions I have taken under these emotions haven’t been the best; instead, they’ve brought more pain to the ones I love. And I don’t want that to happen to you. I care a lot about you, so the least I want is for you to keep suffering. You’ve already gone through a lot, so there’s no need to have any more upon yourself. So I’m asking you to lighten up! Feel happy and blessed that we’ve come so far and that we had the opportunity to meet each other. Remember you don’t have to be afraid of the future; I’ll be with you every step of the way… I promised, right?

 

I looked at him with sincere eyes; a motherly glance. His smile had turned into pensive expression. Maybe I was making him hurt more, or was I giving him the wrong idea about Kris?

 

MJ: I’m not talking about Kris, by the way; I’m simply generalizing the situation. But I understand how you feel towards him. I’m sure you two have met before, and maybe that’s why there is some roughness between you both. I remember the first few times I encountered him; they were horrible experiences... At first I thought he was the one in charge of the game, so I prayed for him to die. But apparently he’s only the 2nd-in-command, followed by BaekHyun. I don’t know if you ever met him, but he was a nice guy. Even after so many mistakes, he knew he had to do the right thing at the end… And well, after that I’ve thought that Kris might be the same. Maybe he has a good heart… That’s why I find everything so strange! Kris would always do something nice for us: give us a hint for the game; refill us on water, food or meds… But just now, he didn’t do anything. He was being so harsh; not the usual sarcastic type… So when he attacked, I was taken by surprise, since he had so many opportunities at other times, and all of a sudden he decides to attack me now. And just when I think he’s actually a bad person, he starts speaking in that encoded manner of his, and…. It all confuses me…

 

I ended up covering my face in an attempt to get a hold of my thoughts. I had just told myself not to let others know about my insecurities, and the first thing I do is tell one –if not the most- of the sensible members. I was about to tell SuHo to forget about the conversation and just be himself, but the man acted first. He tightened his arms around me, taking me into a side-hug. I felt how he laid his head on my right shoulder; I felt as my heart fluttered at the compassion shown by this friend. I patted his face with my left hand, trying to return the feeling.

 

MJ: Oppa, I’m sorry for telling you all this. I shouldn’t have… I don’t want you or any of the other guys to think I’m failing as a leader. I know I have to be strong until the end, but sometimes it’s hard for me not to stumble….after all, I’m human as well. I didn’t mean to burden you or make you feel uncomfortable. But still, thank you for hearing me out. I know you’re a special guy, so I feel at ease speaking to you about certain things… Somehow, I feel encouraged by your presence!

 

Then he separated from me and taking me by the shoulders positioned me in his full sight, looking directly into my eyes. I became a little nervous; even though some days have passed since we encountered an almost-dead SuHo, his beauty is something that still takes my breath away… Those perfect almond eyes, his white snow skin, soft plum pink lips, reddish straight bangs covering his angelic visage, and those mint pearly whites that hide behind the most illuminating smile human kind has had the privilege of witnessing… Maybe I was fantasizing a little at the moment, but was….SuHo…leaning… forward? I’m just being paranoid!... No... He’s… He’s closing his eyes… This….I can’t let this happen! I got on my feet and from above spoke to the disorientated man.

 

MJ: Well JunMyun oppa, thank you for sparing some time to talk. It’s very important for me that each one of you is alright from the inside out! Haha! Now that I know you’re okay, I think its best we reunite with the others and see what they’re up to!

 

I gave him a nervous smile and turned around, going towards the others. SuHo came behind me some seconds after. The men had finished taking care of the animals, and the beasts were now resting on the sand, under the rising Sun.  Ever so confused with Kris, and now JunMyun, I still managed to perceive something was wrong. Everyone already drank water, and were lying here and there, but they were all malnourished. So many days without food, under harsh circumstances, scarce water, little rest, and huge amounts of stress… I had to take a drastic decision… I got close to Kai and dragged him to the back part of the platform, where I had just been seconds before.

 

MJ: Kai, there’s something I have to ask of you. I chose you because I know you’re the strongest, and pretty much the most fearless! I have a mission for you… I...I need you to kill one of the horses…

 

JongIn was acting a little apathetic towards me, maybe because I dissed him earlier, but once I told him what he had to do, he was very surprised. Before he could ask why, I explained. I got closer to him so no one else heard.

 

MJ: Look around us Kai, everyone is weak. They already drank water, and they might rest for a few hours, but they don’t have enough energy to go on. If we don’t do something, our great finale might be in danger… I know what I’m asking is somewhat difficult, dangerous, and painful…but it’s the only thing I can think now. You won’t be alone, I’ll help you, but we have to make sure the others don’t get startled with the decision. Will you do it?

 

The tanned boy seemed desperate while looking at the ground. He furrowed his brows, and I knew he was giving it some thought. He finally looked at me, still upset, and nodded. I thanked him and walked back to the group. There I found HaeRi teaching ChanYeol sign language; apparently Channie had developed an interest for it...or was it for Lia?... LanFang was guiding Lia around the Platform, so she could “see” how it was structured. XiuMin, Lay, and SuHo were taking their clothes off to take a dip in the oasis… Now was the perfect time to execute our mission, while everybody else was distracted. I went towards one of the columns of the Platform where everyone had gathered their belongings, to look for the best possible weapons, thus decided to take my sword and HaeRi’s dagger. I had turned around to go give Kai the sword, but he was right behind me. To my surprise he took both weapons from me and turned around. I began to call his name as I walked right behind him. He suddenly turned to face me and pushed me back slightly. I was about to ask what the big idea was, but his stern glare made me stay quiet. Once again he continued his way, going towards Lay before the latter could get in the water. I saw how both of them, Kai fully clothed and Lay in his boxers, walked away from the Platform and into the sands that began to heat up. I was at the edge, closely watching their surroundings in case an unexpected attack occurred. They picked out the horse that seems more prone to die soon, and slowly dragged it a couple of dozen meters away. I kept watched on the boys, until I knew what was coming next. I turned around and simply waited for the event to end. XiuMin and Suho had already gotten into the oasis, and apparently were wondering where Lay had gone to. At that very moment the beast’s last cry was heard and everyone in the Platform turned their heads in my direction. I could only sigh and think to myself that it was for the good of the clan…

 

MJ: Men… please go help JongIn and YiXing… They’ll need help dragging dinner back…