Affectionate Changes

The Shadow Games

After having our meeting and getting to know who our new members were, it was necessary to discuss some matters. I got up from the ground and looked towards the sky; the Sun was already starting to drop from its highest point. We would have to be careful, since the tree’s shadow would start to rotate as the day kept going by. While the other members got to introduce themselves, I went towards XiuMin and LanFang, who had returned to their “guarding posts”.

 

MJ: So, fill me in with the details guys. What do you think is going on with the Exotics and our surroundings?

 

XiuMin took me by the hand and brought me to the most possible edge of the shadow, looking at what seemed the 8 o’ clock position around the tree trunk. He pointed his finger far away into the distance, where only a small black bundle could be seen. At first it was hard to distinguish with precision, but after squinting my eyes and letting the sandy wind get out of the way, I could make out what it was. The Exotics that had been following us were reunited, letting their horses rest and they themselves lying on the ground. MinSeok explained that most likely they were waiting to see if we would make a run for it and get under the Sun’s light; then they would storm after us. LanFang joined in and said that there might be more Exotic groups further ahead as backups. As for the horses, she expressed that the ones we had used were nearby resting as well, but could get up and going at any moment. XiuMin took me to the opposite side of the shadow, staring at the 4 o’ clock position while pointing at the 40-meter-away black horses that laid on their sides. If all this information wasn’t enough, they gave me a hypothesis on how the Exotics were appearing: they were coming from the maze’s direction behind us, as well as the front. As day started to shine, they came to the desert and roam about waiting for the moment to strike; when darkness falls they begin their journey back towards their unknown headquarters.

 

MJ:  Good analyzing you got going on! What’s most important is that we got our enemies and most-likely transportation on eye sight. Now we just have to wait until dark comes so we can continue. Still, I don’t know what direction we’ll be taking, since there doesn’t seem to be an end to this place.

 

Fang smirked and took me along to the upper part of the shadow, right at 12 o’clock, and signaled towards the immense land. I didn’t see anything, but Lan told me to look more towards the ground at the horizon. I took another scrutinizing glance and, besides encountering another Exotic group even farther away, I could make out some type of pointy dark orange colored rocks.

 

MJ: Wow… I’m impressed with your work. I wouldn’t have ever made out such a thing in a place like this. So, even though we don’t know what it is, we’ll just follow it. It’s not like we have another choice…. Great job you guys!

 

I gave them both a high-five, exchanging smiles. But apparently they hadn’t finished their “report”; I felt in the army for a moment. They had done the inventory as well, and the result was we were running out of resources, and fast! With all the new members and so many injuries to take care of, the stash those good Exotics gave us back at the cave was disappearing quickly. And since now we had more people we needed appropriate weapons for them as well. So, in conclusion, our inventory consists of: 7 weapons, counting the newly acquired sword, 3 water canteens, 2 fruit snack bags, ¾ of Healing Salts, and a whole lot of shirts getting shorter by the battle.

 

MJ: Now I know why you guys survived EXO Tower; you take in consideration every little aspect and detail. I salute and thank you for your efforts.

 

Now that my brain was full of facts, a few things had to be taken into consideration. I called everyone’s attention, interrupting their bonding time between themselves.

 

MJ: Well everything is slowly falling into place, and so we must make the most out of it. The Sun is already setting; I’d say darkness will reach us in about 5 hours. Kai, correct me if I’m wrong (the boy gave me a thumbs up). Okay, since there isn’t anything else to do but wait for the Sunset, please use this time to rest. Lie down, sleep, close your eyes; anything that can replenish your energies. We’re safe under the shade, so no need to worry about being attacked. But do try to be as near to the tree trunk as possible; that way as the shade shifts you’ll still be on darkened land. Once night comes we’ll start moving again. And another thing… we’re running low on “fuel”, so eat and drink when it’s REALLY REALLY necessary. We don’t know what lies ahead, and I’m getting a feeling it isn’t going to get easier.

 

Everyone seemed to enjoy the idea of a rest, and so began to get bundled up; all together like little brothers and sisters. HaeRi had taken a liking to Lia, so they were holding each other’s arms as they reclined against the tree; Lay was with them as well. XiuMin and LanFang had made good interactions with Chanyeol, and so they were tucking in together. Finally, only Kai and SuHo were left… the complete opposites… and I was stuck with them… Lord, give me strength to survive this hurricane! I walked towards a stern looking Kai, who was the only one besides me, that was still standing up. I stood in front of him and eyed his expression. He had changed in the last few days. The last time we had actually bonded properly was inside the cave. That reminds me of those weird symptoms my period gave me. And speaking of the Monthly Gift, I believe it has ended, since my mood swings did disappear and I haven’t felt anything on my legs recently. Still, I miss spending time with JongIn and not being able to be there every time he needs me. With all the new people we’ve been picking up, it becomes harder for me to just center all my attention on him. I dared look into his dark brown eyes, trying to find what was bothering him. He knew I was trying to decipher him, and so he looked to the ground.

 

MJ: I don’t know what’s going on recently, but you’ve been acting very differently. I know we clarified everything before coming into the desert, but still I feel like you’re not here; like you’re in a cold, faraway place… I just want to have the jolly and optimistic Kai back. You know that if you still have things to sort out, I’m here to listen and help you out…

 

I took his hands, and so he finally looked my way. I softly smiled at him while swaying his arms in and out in a playful manner. He managed to slightly chuckle, still trying to hide his rascal eyes under his bangs. I pulled him towards the tree and made him sit to XiuMin’s right, who was already cuddling onto LanFang’s right arm, besides her continuous rejections. I then sat between Kai and JunMyun. We had all managed to do a circle around the tree, reclining our backs and heads against the savannah tree’s trunk or on the neighbor’s shoulder. It felt like we were truly a big family; helping one another in time of need. And now, it was emotional seeing how well we were all getting along besides our differences and obstacles. I just want Kai to be able to enjoy times like this. Even though being trapped in this game is a torment, there are moments were you just have to smile and try to see the light in through the dark pit. If not, we would all be wandering around like savages; heartless…

 

JongIn was already with his eyes closed; head thrown back. We were still connected by our hands. I looked at the frail SuHo on my right, and contrary to the rest of the gang he was wide awake, looking straight up to the wide tree crown. Maybe if I left him alone he would eventually fall asleep. I decided not to disturb the man and just center my view to what was in front of me. Even though I should have been resting, I had some thinking of my own to review…

 

Horrible things have happened during the last few days. Events that I won’t forget for a long time. Sceneries that either inspired or discouraged… From encountering a bruised LuHan, to fighting with JongIn… Knowing how I let LuHan slip right out of my hands; the shock had been so great that it null my capacities to think properly. Fear was all that roamed in my body... Then we encountered 3 new members: one who is blind, which I prejudiced, and 2 others that were deadly attacked by an unknown Exotic. These persons have each taught us something amazing about life, taking their own existence as an example… Learning that the Exotics do indeed have emotions, but fear of their master betrays their human nature and thus they become heartless beasts. Me killing a man after giving my word to not do so; I went against my own values of honesty... Having strong discussions with Kai and ending up hurting his feelings; something I would have never done in normal conditions…

 

Things were changing, not only physically, but emotional as well. Exotics getting stronger and our surroundings getting harder… Our allies keep getting hurt, and their bodies are weaker due to the lack of water, food, and rest… Each passing day everyone’s survival ideal becomes more stressful and difficult to attain… Doubt, confusion, fear, hate, and sorrow are just a few of the feelings that are causing havoc and distance between us all…. Everything! I wanted it all to stop! This game hasn’t just become a transient issue; it goes beyond just winning it. After we all leave this place, I pray the people I’ve gotten to know are able to share other moments next to me. Our friendship doesn’t have to end on the exit gates of Exotica… Just as we’ve suffered together, we can celebrate happier moments together. All of them, LuHan and I….

 

LuHan… I had forgotten about him. At first, he was the only thing I could think off. Saving him was all that mattered to me. But now…now new people have come into my life and I feel this game has given me more purposes than just doing something for myself. This game has changed me! I remember that old MinJeong who wouldn’t even cry at funerals. That MineJeong that solved everything with her fists without thinking things thoroughly first. The girl that would only mother her close friends and maintained at a distance those she just considered acquaintances. That young woman with straight A’s that aspired to be a doctor one day just because of the money. The female that never spoke her true feelings towards her platonic love… That MinJeong is long gone; and I’m glad she isn’t coming back. I’ve fallen in love with this new way of life I’m practicing, because it makes me feel… weak!… Always being the strong and perfect one made me seem fake and plastic, but now I feel like I’ve really started to live… Like what I’ve been doing all these years was just a game, and now I’ve won it… Ironic comparing it with the actual situation, but that’s what I feel… So now I’m desperately waiting to get out of here and show the World the new me… Maybe LuHan would like her better as well…

 

A movement was heard from the right, ending my internal monologue for the time being. I looked said way and found a still awaken SuHo, now Looking at me with sad eyes. And so Mama Jeong had to keep taking care of her baby chicks.

 

MJ: I know you’re not telling me something, and whatever it is it’s making you miserable. I see how you’re acting around the others, and how you daze out in every direction… You’re not blind too, right?

 

The man slowly shook his head, trying to smile, but in the end it was still considered a frown. I tried to turn a little towards his direction, making sure not to wake up Sleeping Cinnamon.  I took his hands, and slightly caress them with my thumb.

 

MJ: Listen SuHo, I don’t want to pressure you, but maybe I can do something to help you. You only have to tell me what’s on your mind. You already took my advice on staying with us till the end of the game, and you promised you would re-new your life again when we left Exotica. So if you just told me your problem, you wouldn’t be so disturbed by it. Opening up to others is the best way to make your pain disappear; trust me, I’ve done it throughout the game. You have nothing to lose, and it will be completely confidential. What do you say?

 

The man still didn’t meet my face, only staring at his feet. I could see his profile, witnessing complete perfection. Such a fragile man with so many dark secrets upon his soul, yet he doesn’t know the blessing God gave him with such a pure image. Kai was handsome, LuHan was pretty, but this man was something far beyond normal beauty. The Exotics around the area were beautiful people; all of them had this unique and peculiar physique. But JunMyun was still in the lead. And I know I talk a lot about this topic, but it’s just that he emanates this aura that grabs a hold onto you. I can’t even make out the mystical feeling; all I know is that it makes me flutter. While contemplating him, the man turned to me with an embarrassed expression and nodded. So he decided to explain. I gestured him to go on whenever he was ready. After taking in some deep breathes he began to move his arms around while mouthing a few times. And so a message was brought upon me…

 

Even though JunMyun has been sad for the mayor part in the last few years, it wasn’t until he met us that he actually smiled truly at heart. He saw all our efforts and strength, and somehow wanted to become part of it. But he had been trapped in his own gloom for far too long, and coming out of his obscure shell wasn’t something quick and easy. He watched how I showed affection for the other members, even if they had been new to the group, and it touched him deep inside. It had been years since he last received a loving gesture, and so a sort of feeling started to pile in him: jealousy. He wanted to be able to feel someone else’s love as well, like the one his parents showed him before he got dragged to this game. But then I did show him affection; I hugged him tightly and he took advantage of the opportunity to take in all the love he could. After that, he felt relieved to have been able to be part of the group. But then, instantaneously, another obstacle got in the way of my love and his need: JongIn. Apparently, it was obvious that Kai was boycotting all his attempts to catch my attention. And so the big question was planted upon me: “Are you both together?”

 

MJ: ..Huh?... Wait, first of all, Kai and I are not together as in dating; were just close friends. He was the first prisoner I encountered, and has helped me out in every aspect of the game. Secondly, I know Kai is a little protective, but I don’t think he would go to the extent of threatening you because of my attention. And third, but most important… Why didn’t you tell me sooner?! You poor thing, thinking over and over such a simple matter that could be resolved in seconds. I know it must be very hard for you to remember your loneliness, but that’s all in the past. From now on you’ll never be lonely… and you’ll never be short on love. And you should never be afraid of telling me anything because, that’s what friends are for!

 

I opened my arms, going forth towards the gloomy young man, and finally embracing him in a tight, yet sweet hug. He responded back in the same way, making me feel useful just knowing I could bring happiness to others. I patted his hair some time after, and finishing off with a kiss at the top of his head.

 

 MJ: Thank You for trusting me. I promise this will be our little secret, but you have to promise yourself you will start thinking about a brighter tomorrow and stop remembering the past. The process will be difficult, but we’ll make it through… together…

 

The man hugged me tighter, and I could feel some tears on my shoulder. I kept hugging back and caressing his soft redish hair, waiting for him to let go. But eventually, he fell asleep on me, and there was no way for me to move without disturbing him. He looked so pleasant in his sleep, so I guess staying in his arms for a while wouldn’t be a problem. I cuddled up to his chest and closed my eyes, taking in what it felt to be carried by an angel…