Emotional Crisis

The Shadow Games

The elevator was quiet small for such a huge building. It was completely in stainless steel and had some handle bars. The machine was moving towards the Penthouse. The reader above the door slowly changed from one number to the next. The guys were all panting, recovering from the battle they had just encountered. I was breathing heavily too, but mostly because I was afraid of something horrible happening to us.

 

MJ: Great job back there you guys. That will teach them a lesson to keep messing with us (the boys smiled in between their sweat). And HaeRi, thanks for saving my skin back there (she smiled). Are you all right? Any wounds?

 

They all shook their heads. At least we got unharmed out of the first battle. Lay then motioned to me, asking if I was feeling well. Besides the usual period mood swings, I just had a slight weakness, but I was good. I smiled, reassuring everything was fine.

 

MJ: That Bacon guy thought his stupid building was going to be an obstacle for us. Too bad for him, we found his hidden elevator. Now we’re going straight towards him. Now listen guys, we don’t know how this guy fights, so be on your guard and always rememb…

 

A sudden shake sent us all tumbling to the floor. According to the reader, the elevator had stopped at the 12th floor. Kai got up and began to push the buttons in the panel, but nothing happened. The doors slowly opened and another hallway was in front of us; this time the lights were turned off.

 

 

Kai peek his head out to see if anything happened, but still the elevator did not react, nor anyone appeared.

 

MJ: Me and my big mouth! NIGGAH!! WHY YOU HAFTA BE SO CLUMSY! The Bacon God up there must have heard me… Now we have to reach the Penthouse on foot! BIIIISH!

 

Lay was helping HaeRi and stopped to look at me with a dumbfounded expression. RiRi gestured it was nothing unusual; she still remembers me well.

 

MJ: Well peeps, might as well get out and see what these floors have to offer. We should take advantage of the darkness to see if we can advance a little faster. Them exotic dogs are giving me a hard time with ma heart rate.

 

 

Kai was the one to let out a little smirk; he wanted to laugh. I was actually glad I was in my “Niggah” phase and not in my “” one. We all got out of the elevator and into the no-light-whatsoever hallway. Still with a little light coming from the elevator, I could see what Lay was trying to explain. He said that maybe all the floors were the same; if we went down this corridor we might reach the center of the floor just like the 2nd floor was. I have to say, YiXing has an amazing brain! Hail the lord for his brightness; The lord!

 

MJ: Everyone, take each other’s hands. Supposing that what Lay said is true, we’ll have to search for the stairs once we reach the centerfield. You guys ready? If anything weird happened while were in complete darkness, just scream.

 

They all nodded. This time Lay was in the lead, followed by me, HaeRi, and lastly Kai at the end. We all took our hands and began to walk in line, straight towards the darkness. Slowly, the lights beaming from the elevator weren’t enough to brighten our way. At some point, we entered pitch blackness. I knew we were safe for now. The problem was when the light came on again. I just let Lay lead us, and let my mind wander around for a while… I remembered what Baekhyun said:

 

“Take it easy there missy! I wouldn’t get your attitude on if I were you. You wouldn’t want poor baby Luhan to break another bone… right?”

 

What did he mean by that? Have they been torturing LuHan even more!?! But we haven’t done anything wrong since Chen hit him…Wait… We killed Chen… That means that the other Exotics might be taking out their furry on LuLu… But... Chen killed himself! It was an accident! If he hadn’t ordered an attack on us we wouldn’t have used him as a shield… But still… Oh God! What if LuHan is already dead! What if I’m here risking my life and, the man I’m trying to safe is no longer part of this World?! WHY IM A THINKING THESE THINGS!

 

I began to cry. Lay stopped walking and turned to me, holding my face with both hands. I couldn’t see well through the darkness and my tears, but I’m guessing he had a worried expression. Kai came to my side and grabbed me by the shoulders, sending Lay to the side. He took my hands and gestured with them what he was asking. He and the rest were afraid of my sudden reaction; they wanted to know what was wrong. In between sobs I tried to explain.

 

MJ: It’s LuHan!!....He..He…He could be DEAD BY NOW!! DEAD!!... (I stomped my feet with each word I screamed). We…killed… an Exotic... WE KILLED ING CHEN! Now these people are most likely abusing LuHan!!...

I continued crying. Kai hugged me, making me hide my face in his dirty shirt. I let out my feelings. I believe I heard HaeRi let out a small sob; she’s always so touchy when she sees people crying. Lay sighted, and I’m guessing he was also feeling down. After all, we all knew I was right. Kai let go of me, and with his right hand wiped away my tears. He then softly shushed me as he patted my head. I began to calm myself. Somehow Kai knew what to do. His gestures made me feel like he understood what I was going through. But above all, he wanted to help; he didn’t want to see me hurt. That’s my guess…

 

MJ: We…we…should keep going… We nee…need to make the mo… most out of the darkness… I’ll be fi...fi...fine now…Thanks…

 

Even though I was more calmed, I kept quivering and my voice kept failing me. Kai nodded and took my hand. He was the one to be in the lead now. I took HaeRi’s hand and she took Lay’s, which was once again at the back. Kai began to walk, and once again we were in progress. I tried to maintain myself quiet, even though I was hurting deeply inside.

 

We kept walking in line for a few minutes, until Kai bumped into what seemed a wall. After rubbing his face and making sure he hadn’t broken his nose, he made a turn and kept us at a fast pace. Soon after, I believe HaeRi tripped in a chair. We picked her up and kept walking. Trying to move in complete darkness was far harder than I thought. Suddenly, the lights went on, but they weren’t white. At the same time several of the light bulbs in the floor exploded, and the crystal-like sound could be heard coming from different directions. The Ultra Violet rays were so powerful that not even normal bulbs could withstand it for long.

 

MJ: Guys! We need to hide! It’s too dangerous to go on with these blue lights. Specially YiXing! Kai, do something!!!

 

Kai let go of me and began to look around the area something to cover us with. He went and came. Meanwhile, I took off my still wet and dirty jacket and gave it to Lay. I told him to put it on so he could be better protected, since he was the only one sleeveless right now. He took it and put it on. Kai came running back telling us to follow him. We went after him and saw what he had found.

 

 

It was a big office desk surrounded by tall chairs. I’m guessing floor #12 was the meeting floor or an office of some sort. We all ran, pushing aside some chairs, and threw ourselves under the modern table. I quickly went to Lay.

 

MJ: Lay oppa, are you feeling anything else? A new reaction of some kind? Lemme see your arms again.

 

Lay was preventing me from taking of the blazer, but I eventually won him over. He was expressing he was fine, but still I wasn’t taking any chances. I saw his forearms and they seemed the same as before; still a little redish. He gave me an “I told you so” look.

 

MJ: Thank God your okay… How are you two doing?

 

I asked Kai and RiRi. They nodded; they were okay. I told Lay to take another look at HaeRi’s leg. She laid down while “the doctor” inspected her wound. Meanwhile, Kai was lying on his stomach, chin resting on his crossed arms; he was looking out towards the rest of the floor. I sat cross-legged next to his left; the table was fairly high and wide.

 

MJ: What are you looking for Kai?

 

He explained that he was memorizing the design of the floor: wall positions, furniture, plants, rugs, etc. That way, when the lights went off, he would remember what route to take without falling or stumbling with anything. Besides, if all the floors had the same structure, that meant he would also remember the passages and hallways of them all.

 

MJ: JongIn, are you sure you’re not an evil scientist in disguise? Your magnificent brain has once again impressed me.

 

I had put aside my sobbing and now I was all smiley and peppy… huh…Mood swings, how a loathe thee… I think I already expressed my “love” for Mother Nature before, right? Anyways… Kai laughed at the funny compliment. He looked at me and smile. He then noticed my legs, which were still covered in blood. He stretched an arm from under his chin and touched my right knee. He slightly patted it, and then looked at his hand with pity.

 

MJ: What are you doing!? You’re all dirty now! Gimme your hand; Imma clean it up (he refused). Huh? JongIn! Don’t you know where that came from?! Uggh! You’re one nasty dude…

 

His expression was one of embarrassment and disgust. He extended me his hand and I began to clean it with the edge of my shirt. I saw how he became sad.

 

MJ: I know you’re worried about my period. Don’t worry, it doesn’t hurt. It just makes me a little emotional. (Kai mocked me because I said a little)… Okay, I get REALLY emotional and my attitude changes… But it’s not like I’m going to kill someone…hehe

He just odded. He stopped looking at me and continued inspecting the view in front. I noticed the sadness continued.

 

MJ: JongIn, is something wrong? You seem down… Anything you’d like to talk about?..I mean, gesture out?

 

He chuckled at my correction. He shook his head with a fake smile on. He then sighted.

 

MJ: You know you can trust me baby! You’re not usually like this... Not like me! My mood changes with or without periods. I think I need to start taking pills or something. Hehe...

 

He laughed. I loved seeing him laugh, not only was it a beautiful sight, but it made me feel happy to know I can bring joy to others. He nodded and after a few seconds he pointed at me. Apparently, he was worried about my health, not only physical but emotional. He knew how much LuHan meant to me, so he was sad because he knew how much I was suffering… because he went through the same thing… He wanted to help me, but was afraid to fail…

 

MJ: JongIn-ah… I... I’m sorry if I made you all worried. Please…Please don’t feel sad. And don’t even think that you’ve failed me. You’ve known what to do when I most needed it; it’s like you know me from years. Besides finding HaeRi and meeting Lay, I’m happy I came to play this game, because I had the opportunity to be with you. You don’t know how much you mean to me kiddo… (My eyes began to get watery)… I’m sorry… It’s just… I get easily attached to people… hehe…

 

I let go of his hand, already cleaned. I patted his head and smiled. I tried to change the topic.

 

 

MJ: You know what Kai, you should go search for the stairs. That way we’ll know where to go when the blackout comes again. Here, put on my blazer around your head, since it’s the only place you’re uncovered.

 

I took the clothing from the floor and wrapped it around JongIn’s head, making him look like a nun. He looked at me with amused eyes.

 

MJ: What? You afraid!? Don’t worry niggah, your skin color will protect you. Besides it’s only a minute. Now go go go!! And hurry up!!

 

He nodded and crawled from under the table, running across the floor, entering another section where I couldn’t see him anymore. I took the opportunity to see how HaeRi was doing. Apparently she was feeling better. I smiled and gave her a hug.

 

MJ: You’ve been such a strong girl RiRi! (I pinch her cheeks). Why you so cute!?

 

She starts giggling; her mood was always an up-lifter. I’m just glad I got her back. Once were out of here, I’ll show her all the new things that came out. Her parents will be happy to see her again….Parents… I wonder what mine are doing now…

 

Just then Kai returned. He smiled and tried to explain where he had found the escalators to the next floor.  Suddenly, a high pitched sound surrounded us all, piercing our eardrums; it was like a badly calibrated microphone. Then it settled.

 

BH: Miss Park! I just received something for you… it’s a video… Want to see it?...