Blood, Sweat, and Tears

The Shadow Games

I had my sword well held between my sweaty palms, glancing abominably at the man that was once my ally, and now my target. Still amidst the fiery stares, I took a second to turn around and view my friends. They were all still being held by the Exotics, unable to free themselves from the heavy hands that imprisoned them. Their eyes all beamed at me with worry; some of them were all ready teary. Amongst them all, it was evident Kai was the most disturbed and horrified by the battle; I could see it in his pitiful expression. I turned to look upwards, seeing LuHan in a depressing state, still being observed by SeHun; my life companion stared at me with fright, tears dampening his -in-cheeks. I breathed in with a heavy burden, knowing I myself was afraid of the outcome of this encounter, but even more hurtful was the pain my friends were going through. I faced SuHo again, observing how he was still in a furious manner for the truth I had just told him.

 

The Ugly Man stood still, without making any signs of movement, which meant I had to take the first action. Taking and impulse I began to run towards the man, sword held at my right side ready to be used. Each step I took signified one second less before I would reach the Enemy that I once loved as a friend; but that’s in the past! I went on until I reached him, prepared to swing my weapon and stab the pale man wherever the blow landed. The man didn’t move in an attempt to attack or defend himself, and involuntarily I stopped my attack right before it hit him. The sharp metal weapon was now centimeters away from piercing the Master’s left shoulder. He continued to eye me with those black pupils of wrath, and I stood before him in complete confusion, astonished at his actions and subsequently my own. With a dry, coarse voice he addressed me.

 

SH: Second attempt: FAILED!

 

With an invisible swift movement, the enemy kneed me on the stomach with force, making me bend forward while hugging myself, trying to ease the pain. But there was no time to be wasted, for JunMyun slid his right foot underneath me, making my own falter and landing on my back with a loud thump on the solid dirt. As I let a scream of distress escape, the Enemy took me by my long hair and pulled me up. I could barely move in this situation, yet I managed to get on my feet before the man yanked my head out. I thought he was going to stop, but instead he took my right arm, and with a powerful tug managed to propel me up, over his shoulders, and once again land on the soil, this time face down. The sword went flying out of my hands at some point of the multiple-attack. If it wasn’t for the screams and shrieks of my comrades and some of the other prisoners, I would have thought I was dead. I couldn’t feel my body, yet I felt all the pain; a taste of iron and cooper invaded my mouth. I just lay there, waiting for him to finish me off; so many sacrifices had been in vain. Now I wasn’t as sure about winning the game, because I felt like a loser. Even though I was mangled with so many injuries, I couldn’t help but feel infuriated at the sound of Kim JunMyun’s chuckles.

 

SH: HAHA! See what I’ve been trying to tell you, MinJeong? You haven’t changed! What’s worse is that you go against your own thinking! You had two opportunities to attack me with vast advantages, yet you keep misusing them. And they have been great examples on how you really are a pathetic leader! A player that can’t attack her friends’ kidnapper! Why MinJeong? Why can’t you hurt me? Am I THAT important to you? More important than your precious LuHan and Kai? Let me answer for you my dear, after all, I know more about you than anyone else… Everything comes back to the fact you are the same person you were before coming here. You say you’ve changed, but I don’t accord with that idea. You have always been a type of bully: a person that mistreats those that aren’t in your social group. You only accept those who are of use to you: why would you want to befriend a bothersome person? Those that you accept you treat as your children, because you don’t know how to be a friend: you just tell them what to do, you boss them around.  Yet, you open up to them with ease, you take a special liking to them, which is why you become so enraged when one of them has proven to be unfaithful to you. Maybe this is the beginning of your emotional crisis: the fact that you can’t control your emotions, or even worst, you can’t sort them out! Am I right, MinJeong-sshi?

 

The man slowly walked towards me, making a mockery out of my body and soul. He stood at my side, glancing at my mutilated face; I simply stared blankly towards his nearby feet. SuHo placed his right foot on top of my left cheek, squishing my face towards the ground. Amidst the new pain I heard Kai’s strenuous roar, screaming with fury. His grunts gave out he was trying to free himself. SuHo talked with calm.

 

SH: Take it easy JongIn. I wouldn’t try to liberate myself if I was you. If you come into the battlefield, it would be two against one, and that would be cheating, right? I would have to defend myself with everything I got. I might even get nervous, and I might accidently kick your beloved’s neck at this very moment. It’s best if you just enjoyed from afar…

 

Kai let out one last distressful cry before coming to a halt. The Enemy chuckled and removed his filthy sole from my frail epidermis. He then positioned himself over my back, one leg at each side of my waist, squatting and taking my hair once again. He rolled it around his hand, taking a tight grip, slightly tugging on it from the very root. I still couldn’t move; the trauma had been far too great for me to recover so quickly. Never had I felt so weak, specially hearing how SuHo tainted my life with his false insinuations; he wanted to confuse me. The cold devil continued his monologue.

 

SH: Still MinJeong, there is something that did change within you. A change that not even you imagine could be possible, yet you keep neglecting this change. You don’t want it to happen, or should I say, it already happened, you just don’t want to accept it! The reason behind your complicated dreams and constant depressions… So tell me MinJeong, have you already decided who holds the Key to your heart?

 

He pulled on my hair, making my face lift up some degrees, causing great pain in my lower back. I grunted; I simply couldn’t get on my feet at the moment. Not only was my body not responding, but my brain was on overload with so many confrontations. The Master knew well my situation and how it affected me; he was using it to his advantage. His Exotic psychological techniques have proven to be real and effective.

 

SH: Are you still in denial, MinJeong? Why do you keep fighting yourself? We both know the answer; you’re just simply trying to resist the change. Is it loyalty? Maybe fear of rejection? How about a sense of betrayal? Whatever the reason, I believe you should tell everyone the truth. You wouldn’t want to die without confessing to “him”, right?...

 

MJ: …s..shut…up…liar…

 

I could only make out such a short phrase at the moment, but slowly, anger and fear were taking over, drowning my pain in an adrenaline rush. When I’m in a state of tranquility, my thoughts always overpower me, making it difficult to sort out my ideas and emotions. Right now it was different; right now my body was facing a death battle like no other for the first time. I was going through a process where all my neurons, muscles, and organs were fully excited, and the increase of their functionality made me ever so alert and mentally clear. Now everything had an answer; answers I couldn’t see before… JunMyun’s words were indeed weakening me, until I finally understood he was mistaken. No one knew me better THAN ME!

 

A surge of power came through my body, giving me the opportunity to show I wasn’t beaten yet. I stretched my arms backwards, grabbing SuHo’s hands which were still tangled in my hair. There, I sensed a cold piece of steel peeking from one of his sleeves. I had moved my feet forth with the sway of my arms, so now I was kneeling on the ground.

 

SH: Liar?! If there is a liar amongst us all, it is you MinJeong! You’ve even lied to yourself. I on the contrary am trying to open your friends’ eyes, as well as your own. Tell me Minjeong, what false truth have I said so far? As far as I know, I haven’t even said the most pure truth of them all! And like I said, you should tell KAI how you feel!

 

MJ: STOP IT!

 

I tightly squeezed the man’s wrists, expressing just how serious I was about to become over the fact he was vomiting my most inner secret. He had no right to announce something so personal; something only I could proclaim by myself. The enemy chuckled.

 

SH: STOP?! We’re just beginning!! I’m just THRILLED to see how LUHAN will react once he knows YOULOVE JONGIN MORE THAN HIM! How JONGIN has become YOUR HEART’S NEW DESIRE!

 

I let out a sharp war cry, as I indiscriminately strangled the Master’s hands in an attempt to free myself from him. A second was enough to know it would be impossible, so I did what the hidden part of my brain told me. Without thinking about the consequences, I slid my hand underneath the 1st-in-command’s left sleeve, pulling out one of his small daggers. The enemy was in a position where attacking him was a difficult task, so I had to do the only possible thing to get out of his grasp. I took a strong hold on the weapon with both hands, giving it a swing towards the back part of my head, passing the sharp blade right next to my scalp, and cutting my hair where SuHo had been holding.

 

 

He tumbled backwards, losing his keen abilities for a second, and falling on his hind. I propelled myself forth, pushing myself from the ground and finally returning on my feet. I quickly noticed where my sword had landed, and running towards it I regained its possession. Fatigued and stressed, I managed to take my battle stance before SuHo got up… There wouldn’t be a 3rd failed attempt…

 

After a grunt, JunMyun jumped forth while lying on the ground, getting on his feet without the need of his hands. He was furious; a putrid expression roamed his ugly complexion. He stared at his hand, where my long brown hairs slid in between his fingers. It was now that I realized what I had done; I could feel the new short hairs tickling my nape. Nearby gasps could be heard from my most recent action. I maintained my position, always looking at my target, showing no signs of faltering. I should have looked towards Kai and LuHan, but I didn’t know how I could face neither of them now that the truth was out… The dark secret that had tormented me for this past week… BUT NOT ANY MORE!

 

MJ: Everything… everything you’ve said…is a lie! The bullying, the Mother-ness, the crisis: YOU’RE MISTAKEN! I have always scolded those who are on the wrong path; I have always treated my friends as children because of the immense love I feel for them; and I have always been an emotional person… but then I CHANGED!... I CHANGED JUNMYUN! Before I came here, I thought I could conquer the world; that I was made out of stone! I was wrong… When I came here, I saw how weak and prone I really was; so I changed. Instead of piling up my emotions, I began to let them free. Why? Because the tables had been turned; now it was other people who were protecting me; now I was the child, so it was my time to cry…  And with a change of heart came a change of people…

 

SH: So you’re accepting I was right…

 

MJ: The only thing I’m accepting is you’re violating my personal space, which includes you intruding in my mind and soul… If someone has to say something personal about myself, the only person authorized to do so is me… not you!... There was a more appropriate time and place than THIS to tell those involved what happened inside me…

 

SH: Cut the crap, MinJeong. I’m getting tired of your stupid little word game. I’m sure everyone else in your group, except Kai knows your secret already. I just want to see some pained faces!

 

There was a particular aggressiveness in the Master’s tone. We were having a stare down until he decided to give me his back as he directed himself towards Kai, and going towards his right to confront LuHan as well; switching glances between the two as he spoke.

 

SH: LUHAN! You really are stupid! I’m starting to think all you Chinese people have a low IQ. I mean, how could you not know that MinJeong had a crush on you for the last few years! Do you know how much she SUFFERED because of you? She thought you were GAY! HAHA! You were always so oblivious, yet here she is: risking her life to save the man of her dreams. Well, the man she USED to want. You see my poor Luhan, during the game MinJeong decided she had lost too much time going after you and how she needed a REAL Man in her life! That’s when she substituted you with none other than KIM JONGIN! Can you imagine? Changing such a flower boy like you for a savage man! (He walked towards Kai, taking the boys face in his left hand, even though JongIn resisted). Kim JongIn; how does it feel to be a Casanova? You just stole another man’s woman. Bravo Kai! It’s just remarkable how you and your little girl have been side by side for 9 days, yet you couldn’t tell how much she wanted you. She didn’t only want you in her heart… she wanted you in her body as well… You let so many “opportunities” go by JongIn; you could have taken her virtue; I’m positive she would have let yo—

 

The man was interrupted by a smack in the back of his head. He let go of the younger and looked to his feet, only to find my useless, now utile, cellphone shattered into pieces. The devil looked my way just to lock abominable gazes as he slowly made his way towards me.

 

MJ: I believe I just told you this isn’t your business! It’s amazing how you work your evil around words and turn them into lies with such ease. You mix your fantasies with reality, and make people believe them. But your game has come to an end…

 

SH: Ohh, really? How’s that? (He said with sarcasm)

 

I stiffened my stance, firmly holding my sword in front of me. SuHo stopped walking 4 meters from me, grimacing his disgust. I was ready: this time I would not fail my friends, or myself.

 

SH: I have a feeling this will be the true beginning of the battle. I trust this will conclude the game…soon. So be prepared; I will show no mercy…

 

MJ: I’m not asking for any either. I prefer to die in honor than be imprisoned by pity.

 

SH: We’ll see about that!

 

The man raised his left arm and with a quick snap of his fingers, the lights went off.  I quickly panicked; I had forgotten we were in a game of shadows. Thankfully they came back on after 5 seconds, but by that time the Master wasn’t at the same spot. I felt a presence coming from behind, and as I turned around my sword shrieked against the colliding small dagger that SuHo wielded. There we continued to clash our weapons for some minutes, until the enemy took the advantage and threw a kick towards my face. I dodged it by a strand, but having less flexibility now due to my previous injury, I fell on my bottom. The man threw himself over me with many slender daggers in between his fingers, but I rolled to the side, missing him again. I was getting on my feet when I felt a sharp pain on my left leg. His long range attack prevailed. I bent over to pull the knife out, letting out a scream in the process. Just then the lights went out again. I decided to stay still and pay attention to my surrounding. And so, just before the lights turned back on I felt a heavy breath to my right. In a fraction of a second I threw a swing, cutting the enemy on the upper arm. Lights went on and I saw he didn’t show pain, just hate. He extended his arm forth and grabbed my sword by the edge, preventing me from swinging anymore. He prepared to attack me from the side at short range, but I threw myself to the ground, aiming my feet to pass in between his spread-apart legs. Just as my back touched the ground and the pale man lost his stance, I kicked him in the stomach while pulling on the sword to make him bent forth. I stretched my legs as hard as possible, sending the man in an aerial twirl. The Master managed to recover, breaking his fall with his hands and doing a backwards flip to finally land on his feet. He stared at his hand and saw a deep cut, dripping onto his white suite. Last thing I saw was a devilish smile curling up, when the lights died. I thought maybe staying on the same place was a little risky, since he knew where I would be, so I began to run around, trying to be as silent as possible; still, prisoners’ screams could be heard sporadically. Before the lights again, just when I moved from one place to another, a storm of flying knives came at me, landing at my feet. I could feel their direction, so when everything became lit again, I ran towards my left, confirming that SuHo was there. He now bore a new weapon: a double lanced pole; I had to maneuver my way around it. I reached him and commenced once again a short range battle. He shielded himself with his new weaponry, evading my attacks. At a moment he jumped over me with great audacity, and before I could turn around, he held me against his body by choking me with the pole. I felt how air wasn’t coming in, and I became desperate, letting my sword fall as I tried to liberate myself from the demon. I heard his chuckles.

 

SH: So, this is how it ends MinJeong-sshi. I was expecting more of a challenge; something bloodier… I guess this will have to do…
 

This wasn’t the end! Whatever it took, I must survive! With a surge of strength I managed to pull away from him some inches, then letting my head fall back with force, clashing against his face. He let go of me and the weapon, as he touched his face amidst a very bloody nose. I bent over to  grasp my sword, and straighten up to attack JunMyun wherever the blow landed, but as my weapon came down on him, he stopped it with one of his small daggers as he attacked me from the left with another one, stabbing me on the ribs. I let out a loud grunt, as the lights went off, and a desperate cry was heard from JongIn. SuHo didn’t misuse his opportunity, and so he began to hit me all over, with both hands and weapon. I couldn’t see his movements; all I knew was he was going to murder me in the dark. My face, stomach, and chest had been fisted, while my arms had been pierced. Just as I fell to the ground, the light , and multiple cries came from my friends as they saw the state I was in. I knew I had to survive, but right at the moment I really wanted to die. The vast pain covered my whole body, and the blood lose was starting to make its effects. I just wanted to lay there until someone came to rescue me, but that wasn’t going to happen. I could hear JunMyun’s footsteps getting closer to me, but my friends’ shrieks overpowered the atmosphere. They could only give out that monotonous sound; they couldn’t say anything else. Was I about to let them be like that forever? What about all the promises I made? Have I come so far to let these people down?... The time for hoping had ended; I could not keep hoping we’re going to win. I simply HAVE to… I HAVE TO SAVE THEM ALL!

 

My heart rate increased rapidly, bringing over me a boost of energy that would soon end in a berserk state of mind. SuHo had just stood next to me, staring with happiness at my torn body. I lied there, trying to decipher his next movement, when the lights went off. And so, my soul took over my body, and I began my attack. I pulled my sword from the ground, and impulsed myself towards the enemy, swinging my weapon towards his feet, where I felt I had cut. As he grunted in the dark I straightened myself, attacking his chest, but he managed to almost evade it, finishing with his upper garment cut-up.  I was about to stab him on the stomach, but he threw a kick that went straight to my feet, making me fall once more, this time with a bleeding lip. The lights went on; somehow they had acquired a new speed. The man now stood at the center of the arena; a trail of blood was left where he walked. He was indeed angered, but still, there was no much sign of fatigue or pain; not like mine at least.

 

SH: Let’s make things a little more entertaining, shall we?

 

After another snap of his fingers the lights went off only at the center of the arena, making the man disappear. The rest of the place was still lit up. But every couple of seconds a new area was lit and another was turned off. It was an unpredictable pattern, were any corner of the arena could be next. It was all too fast, and I couldn’t find the man in between so many perspective changes. It was I who now stood in a lit area as some flying daggers struck me on my upper back; since I couldn’t reach such a part, the daggers stayed there. Then I was in the dark, and I tried to compose myself from the aggressive attack. I moved in a random direction, and once again I was in the light, when the double lance came crossing from the right; I evaded it but still I has been scratched; one more centimeter and it was all over. I began to run with hysteria, trying to outrun death until I had enough knowledge to counterattack. I still couldn’t see JunMyun; he knew his own game well enough to survive in it. I could see from afar my allies, looking in all directions in search of an answer. Kai simply looked at me with fear; somehow he knew where I was amongst the darkness. I continued moving in the obscure, bearing a sharp ear for any sound. I sensed air movement coming from the left, and ran towards it, when suddenly I felt an immense pain on my head. I fell ventrally to the ground with a throbbing wound that bled more than it should. I was weak and badly injured; my eye sight was starting to get slow. The lights went on over me, and everyone saw what had happened. They all began to scream, and I slowly remembered I had to be strong for them; not for me. I laid there for some seconds, still the lights constantly changing above me. At some point I began to get on my feet, but my head weighted too much, and I just couldn’t straighten up. I was kneeling while grabbing my injured head, praying I wasn’t killed in action. My senses had started to fade, and I could not connect efficiently with my surrounding. I was completely vulnerable at the moment. I had never been so afraid in my life! The lights were now on me and the rest of the arena was invisible black. A still functioning part of my subconscious told me to grab my sword and defend myself, but I didn’t know what direction to take. It was then when I understood there were far fearful things for me to still live out. At that moment, my heart stopped beating and I wished I should have been stronger…

 

???: MINJEONG BEHIND YOU!!!