The Temple

The Shadow Games

The doors had finally opened and we took our first glance inside the Temple. Inside all that loomed was darkness. Inhaling with force, I took a trembling step forth, crossing the doors that stood at both sides and immersing myself in the shadows. I felt Kai behind me, only inches away; the others slowly followed the sound of my footsteps. We were surrounded by complete obscurity, only going forward with hopes of finding some light, or a simple sign of what to do or where to go. A strong odor invaded our nostrils, bringing shock to us all; the smell of sweat, tears, and blood. An immense heat opened our pores and erected our arm’s hairs; it felt like Hell’s kitchen. Some meters after entering the unknown area I felt JongIn grasping my left hand; his touch filled me with strength and courage, soothing my fears at the moment. A little up front I felt the air was heavy, like the lack of oxygen in the surroundings; at the same time I sensed a presence, as if someone was around… not one, but many. What seemed hours to me must have been less than 5 minutes; encountering so many signs made the short trip eternal. Suddenly the lights went on, and without sparing anyone a moment to think, I announced our battle formation.

 

MJ: EVERYONE! ON GUARD!

 

I heard as my friends pulled out their weapons, gathering around each other until we were all together forming a circle, looking at every direction; I was sure someone would attack us under the lights, but no one appeared… Well, an exotic didn’t appear… What lied before us was far from the imaginable. I felt my knees weak and my legs failed me; my sword slid through my trembling fingers. I ended on the hard ground as Kai still held me by the hand, trying to ease my fall. Maybe none of my allies were taken aback by the scenery because they are use to their “home”, but for me it was something I was not ready to witness. My eyes filled with tears as I searched left and right, horrified at every little aspect of the Temple’s inside. It was then when I finally realized the sounds that were among me. The moments the lights came on, thousands of screams began to be heard: desperate callings from women, men, and children. Shrieks of terror and cries of fear…

 

[For the following pictures, imagine the lower bridges don't exist, only the uper ones. Credits to: Jeremiah Sun-Game Developer]

It was the prison… The Temple’s inside was constructed in a circular manner, bearing cubicle iron prisons all around in the same form. Four lines of continuous prison cells surrounded the area, one on top of the other, forming a sort of escalator where the following line upwards was pushed to the back, leaving a walking area in front of every file. The two lower floors were filled with men, stretching through the iron bars their arms in a clawing manner towards me. The upper two levels belong to the women, who with their fragile structures shaked the bars in an attempt to break free. Al their voices merged in a pleading howl…

 

We were localized at the center of the area, having a 360 vision towards everything. I took a glance upwards, taking a look at the rock ceiling that covered us. But, there was something else some meters above us: a suspended bridge. Between the 2nd and 3rd prison rows, two bridges were constructed and held from the ceiling by tension cables, making both bridges intersect each other in a perpendicular manner at the center of the arena, where a small circular platform levitated. Bothe bridges and the platform were made out of a net-like metal, so it was see-through and all that stood over them could be seen from below. We were all standing right under the platform, and I saw how two structures were over us: one was sitting on a chair, the other one was standing right behind, taking a hold of the first by the shirt’s back collar. I got on my feet by pure fear upon recognizing who those men were. I felt my own whimpers escape under my heavy breathing. I took some steps back, having the platform in front now, where I could clearly see what was on top…

 

MJ: LUHAAAAN!!!!

 

On clear view was a much awakened LuHan, screaming a one-letter sound upon recognizing me. Dark circles surrounded his melancholic eyes; dirt covered his frame along with cuts and scratches. He was trying to get on his feet, but the man behind him always pulled him back, making him sit on the cold metallic chair. I couldn’t remember his name, but I know we met him on the bridge: he’s the one that took LuHan away from me before. The Exotic with a lisp bore a worrisome expression; furrowed brows with eyes that didn’t meet mine, as his lips parted little.

 

I became concerned about the ill-fated boy that waited for me; my nerved attacked me and I began to quaver. I was about to run around the area, trying to find a way towards LuHan, but Kai took a hold of me. He took me by the shoulder and with a tight grasped fought against my abrupt movements in an attempt to liberate myself; the rest of the group finally came near us, trying to calm me. But all was interrupted when a voice was heard amongst us…

 

???: We already reached the end, yet you keep having those nervous breakdowns… How brave of you, MinJeong…

 

The sarcastic male voice was coming from inside the Temple; whoever it was had to be near. The sound had come crystal clear through all the strenuousness, making every human being in the area came to complete silence; the unknown man wasn’t using an amplifying device like the Bacon Lord’s, only his own voice. The sound was soft and gentle, even with its harsh words; somehow I found it familiar, and this time I wasn’t referring to LuHan.

 

I calmed myself, letting JongIn free me as he took my hand once more, placing himself before me in a guarding position; weapon upfront. The rest of the gang did the same. After seeing the man wasn’t talking, I corresponded with my quivering voice.

 

MJ: Who are you to be judging me?

 

???: Trust me! I know you better than you know yourself. I just keep being amazed by your unessential promises and how you believe in yourself…

 

Unessential promises? I know I’ve heard that before, but where? And who is this guy? He sounds just as conceited as Chen.

 

MJ: I don’t know who you are or what you want, but I finished my part of the pact: I reached the end. Now, show yourself and let’s end this!

 

???: Ahhh, MinJeong, that bellicose spirit that possesses you. I’ve seen it in action, and might I say is surprising coming from a weak body like yours. But with so many mental fallacies and so much stupidity within yourself, no wonder you keep tripping with the same little pebble…

 

So it’s true! The Master always keeps a close eye on everything and everyone! Still, that doesn’t mean he can see me from the inside! How! How does he know I feel that way?

 

MJ: What do you know?! You might have your Exotics under control and mentally blinded, but you can’t fool me with your superiority speeches! You’re just scared of coming out because you know we’ll win!

 

???: Haha! I pity your vulnerability MinJeong. You really don’t have a clue about anything… As you wish, I’ll show myself, but only to show you how imbecile you’ve been throughout the game, especially these last couple of days…

 

Everything went silent; the prisoners were all as nervous as us. The only thing I could hear was my own heartbeat, rapidly increasing while I quickly looked in all directions. Everyone in the group did the same, trying to find the man that soon would submerge from the unknown. After a minute footsteps could be heard coming from the path we had taken towards here; the entrance corridor. Slowly, the footsteps grew closer, as Kai’s grip became stronger on me. Every single eye now looked unto the dark archway that allowed passage to this area. Soon a black hooded figure emerged from the shadows, walking towards us, until it was only 3 meters away. We simply glanced at him, not making any movements or producing a sound. The man raised his right hand, lowering his hood in one swift movement, making me gasp as the others simply pierced the man with fury.

 

MJ: So, the Master was none other than Kris, huh?... And I thought you were helping us because you cared; I hoped that somehow you were showing some compassion amongst so much wickedness. I guess I really am stupid for believing something like that in a place like this…

 

I felt how a sharp pain went thought my heart, reminding me once again how I couldn’t trust anyone. Kris had only helped us so we could reach the end and we could finally have a proper battle… For some reason I felt used, even when the Exotic’s expression showed pain as well… But, my thoughts were interrupted by a voice. The same voice we’ve been hearing in here; a voice that is nothing like Kris’…

 

???: …No… You’re stupid because you haven’t even noticed my disappearance… And you call yourself a Mother…

 

The voice came from the platform behind us. We all turned; even Kris looked towards it. Alongside LuHan and the lisper now stood a beautiful figure. A person that had produced much pain and confusion in me… Someone I had shared secrets and promises with… A person that wasn’t even human-like… I felt as JongIn let go of me, going forth showing his anger as he took his battle formation. HaeRi signaled Lia what was infront.. LanFang, XiuMin, Lay, and Chanyeol growled with furry. But SuHo… SuHo was up there…

 

MJ: SUHOO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?

 

Our so-called friend was wearing a white ninja outfit, but without a mask, showing his once- beautiful face. The man smirked, removing all traces of the angelic aura that once surrounded him, or maybe it never existed. JunMyun jumped from the high platform, landing ever so gracefully without a single sign of fatigue, kneeling on the ground in front of me. Slowly he incorporated himself, finally giving us all his face, filled with irony, but above all, treason. Kai backed away some steps, once again positioning himself before me, spreading his arms to the sides in an attempt to protect me from any harm.

 

SH: Don’t be so quick on your feet JongIn, the battle hasn’t begun yet.

 

MJ: SUHO! JUNMYUN!! EXPLAIN EVERYTHING! What is going on?! How could you…. How…

 

SH: Please MinJeong, Please; I’ll have to ask you not to make a commotion over matters that are quite simple and evident. I believe there isn’t much to explain if you asked me. I simply tricked you, trying to drag you down along the way; but since I couldn’t achieve it before you came here, there wasn’t another way to make you lose except confronting you face on… I hope you’re ready, because there isn’t another option left.

 

I had started to cry, but my tears turned into flames of fury. I lost my composure once again and threw myself forth, pushing Kai aside and directing myself to the man I once claimed to be my friend. As I got near him I opened my right hand, pointing it straight to his perfect face, which I now found to be ugly. Just before I could touch him, he caught my wrist with force; his movement was as fast as a wild animal’s run. I stared deep into his eyes, trying to show no fear, but the pain I was going through had made me weak. SuHo glanced back at me with hate; no sign of love or consideration would beam from him. He smirked as he pushed me back, making me loose balance and fall on my back. JongIn came to my side, as Kris appeared next to me as well, standing as he stared at SuHo with distrust.

 

SH: I said the battle hasn’t begun yet! After all your mistakes MinJeong, you keep breaking your promises over and over. Didn’t you just say you were sorry because of all your bad decisions taken under your scattered emotions? It’s amazing how your pathetic little brain works, or should I say your heart.

 

MJ: SHUT UP! SHUT UP!...Why are you doing this SuHo?...

 

SH: I’m not doing anything… at least, not yet… I’m just trying to make you see the truth MinJeong! The game: you keep saying it changed you, yet I see you the same way you came in… a spoiled uneducated single-child… Respect your elders, kid!

 

MJ: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!? I’m not interested in knowing about myself! All I want to know is WHY you are being like this? WHY are you part of this game? WHY ARE YOU THE MASTER!?

 

I was once again covered in tears, and still SuHo showed no signs of mercy. The Master was about to speak, but Kris interrupted him, speaking with an angered voice. He was still looking at the 1st-in-command.

 

KS: MinJeong… It’s been over 25 years since I’ve known Kim JunMyun and I’ve been in this game. Never before has someone reached the end; you’re the first to enter the Temple and witness its secrets. Only those who come this far will know the truth behind the game... and our personal purpose as well… Remember what I told you about the game’s story?

 

MJ: …You mean about Lee SooMan and his traitor employees?

 

KS: No, what I told you afterwards, before you saw your first video update…

 

I was starting to get confused with so much information! JunMyun was trying to outsmart me, while Kris seemed to want to indirectly help out. I remember that awful stare both men shared back at the Canyon at our last encounter, when Kris attacked me. Is it true that one is good and the other is evil? Why is it I feel so much differences between them? I was trying to concentrate on what YiFan told me, and all I could remember was a disturbing phrase the Exotic had formulated:

 

…you shouldn’t be taking the ‘Dr. Sooman story’ so seriously…I’ll leave it at that…”

 

My brain rewinded itself, bringing about one of my old concerns regarding the truth behind everything that surrounded us. My heart flipped inside me at the sudden urge to know if I was right or wrong, making me standup with the help of Kai. I now stood next to Kris, looking at his left side profile as he still glared at the Master.

 

MJ: You told me not to be so serious about the story and Lee SooMan… Wait! Kris! Is there another story? Was Lee SooMan even real?! I… I thought about it earlier during the journey. BaekHyun told me some things, and they didn’t make sense if you applied them to the Dr. Lee story. I began to think there was another version; maybe a history with more valuable reasons for revenge… Tell me, who lied?

 

Kris stood still without talking, thou his visage expressed he was more than willing to let his tongue move freely. SuHo took the lead once more, making us all turn his way. The man now bore a serious stare.

 

SH: I always knew Byun BaekHyun was a faltering buffoon… insignificant hermaphrodite… He always tried to give away that harsh manner, but in reality he was a weakling… a cry baby…

 

MJ: STOP IT! I will not let you stain BaekHyun’s name with your putrid words!

 

SH: Oh really? Haha! I’m still dumfounded by your lack of integrity. How is it that you defend an enemy, yet you never showed that kind of protection with me, your “ally”? Imagine how much “you cared” for me that you didn’t even noticed when I went missing among your members. I could have easily gotten lost, but you were too busy sorting out your feelings, right? No one in your group really cared about me either… Yet here you are! Trying to scold me for trashing your “friend”; the man that your lost sister… Ironic isn’t it?! Like I said before, you never changed during the game; your attitude keeps being the same. You’re just an opportunist! You befriend and protect those who are a benefit to you; the rest you just push aside…

 

MJ: WHY ARE YOU TROWING THAT AT ME?! THAT ISN’T TRUE!

SH: Why are you screaming then? Are you in denial? Did you just realize it on your own?... I believe I already told you Park MinJeong: I know you better than you know yourself!

 

MJ: SHUT UP! STOP IT!! STOOP! YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME!! YOU’RE JUST TOYING WITH ME!!

 

SH: So I don’t know anything, you say? Why don’t you test me then? It will kill your curiosity…

 

MJ: IM NOT INTRESTED! All I want is this game to end… LET US GO!!

 

I couldn’t let SuHo keep talking. He was slowly draining my energy with his statements. I was afraid… He was working his evil scheme right from the beginning, attacking me from the inside out. He had to be stopped before he got to me… and then everything would become difficult… Somehow, SuHo had managed to invade me since the moment we met; I thought it was his beauty that captivated me, but in reality it was his tainted soul that was scrutinizing my own… Wait…Beauty…Soul… I remembered Kris’ confusing words:

 

… 2 pair of eyes… one for your face… one for your heart… don’t confuse them…”

 

I finally understood! I directed my gaze towards Kris, removing my tears before addressing him.

 

MJ: KRIS! Two pair of eyes! I couldn’t make out what you meant back then, but now I know! JunMyun’s beautiful exterior was only a trap; his soul was corrupted… His actions didn’t go in accordance with his physique… I... I just comprehended it too late…

 

KS: It’s never too late. You simply have to use one of those eyes; if you continue to use both you will lose yourself again in confusion… Choose wisely. The outcome of this stage rests in your decision. You must forget the past if you want to conquer the future…

 

SH: SILENCE! That’s enough conversation for the moment! Wu YiFan, I’ll have to ask you to leave. Make preparations for our new prisoner… Someone will be losing today.

 

His explosive demeanor took us all by surprise, but even more abrupt was his sudden change in attitude. One instant he was a furious demon, the next he was wearing that bastardly smile, making a mockery of us all.

 

SH: We’ve wasted enough time already. Shall we commence our battle, MinJeong?

 

MJ: WAIT!... I need to know something first. I can’t keep saving up any more doubts… Things need to start making sense!...Kris, just now you said you two have known each other for over 25 years… How…How old are you people?..

My face was filled with fear, awaiting the answer that I knew would torment me. My friends had all gathered around me, giving me support for what was to come. Kai was right behind me, ready to act in case I couldn’t handle myself. Kris looked in pain, biting his lip as he now gazed at the ground; he didn’t speak. The tall man walked forth, not looking at anyone, not even SuHo. He passed by his leader and continued on to the other end of the circular arena, opposite to the entrance. There stood a wooden, semi circular gate in the same medieval style; the Exotic pushed one of its two creaking doors. Kris took one glance back at us before submerging himself in the darkness that emanated from the arched way, letting the door fall with its crackle.

 

SH: Would you care to know the truth? The real story?

 

MJ:… Tell me everything…

 

SH: Very well… I’ll grant your last wish…