You Don't need to See to Believe

The Shadow Games

An angel had stood in between me and death, preventing the game to be lost at that very instant. I watched as the fragile man was standing before me, taking a tight grip around the glimmering sword that cut through his right hand palm. He pushed the weapon to the side, making the Exotic loose balance and falter. Our new ally took advantage of the opportunity and kicked the enemy on the stomach, sending him back, eventually falling on his behind. The angel then swayed to the side, before starting to fall to his left; luckily, I caught him on time. He was still conscious; he groaned at the new injury, making a hurting expression.

 

MJ: Chanyeol! Take the guy away from here! Both of you need to leave the area! Go to Lia and use the horse for the time beaing! GO GO!

I gave Chanyeol my savior, reclining him over the tall man’s left shoulder. I looked at the angel and told him to try and walk; he nodded. I let them go away towards the horse, who was only 10 meters away. But I noticed Lia wasn’t riding the horse anymore; I panicked. I looked back at the battling area to see if I could find her, but only encountered the sword man running towards me. I ran towards him as well, taking out my knives. Just as we were about to collide, he lifted his sword with both hands while I threw myself on the sand, taking impulse and sliding under him in between his separated legs. I had managed to deeply cut him in the ankles, making the Exotic scream in agony and pain. I got up after the slide had ended, and ran up to the kneeling man who grabbed his ankles to prevent any further bleeding. I took his fallen sword and pointed it at his chest. I was about to offer him a chance to run away if he wanted to live, but a scream took me by surprise. I looked at the people battling each other, to find Lia thrown in the sand, grabbing her bleeding arm. The man that attacked her now grabbed her by the hair, while she did nothing to fight back; she only twisted and the ground. Panic, anger, fear; it all mixed up inside me and prompted drastic reactions from my part. I took my enemy by the collar, lifted him up positioning his back towards me, and pointing his own sword towards his right neck side. I screamed the most abominable way I could, taking everyone’s attention; enemies and allies alike. I gave them a warning.

 

MJ: LISTEN UP!!!! IF YOU DON’T WANT TO SEE YOUR FRIEND DIE, LET GO OF MINE!!!!...... NOW!!!!

Some of the Exotics laughed at my threat. The rest took some steps back from my allies. I was eyeing everyone with big, bouncy eyes; I must have looked like a maniac. Still, I wasn’t showing any more weaknesses to anyone; I was tired of getting hurt because of my frailty to fight back. I nipped the man’s neck with the tip of the sword. He screamed and called upon his fellows.

 

EX1: STOP!!! PLEASE!!! SHE AIN’T BLUFFING!

 

MJ: LET GO OF THEM!!! I’M SERIOUS!!!

 

The remaining enemies let go of their preys, lifting their arms in the air as if the police had caught them red-handed.

 

MJ: EVERYONE!!! GET BEHIND ME!!! HURRY!!!

 

My allies began to run towards me, hiding where I told them or standing by my side. The only one who was still getting up was Lia. Just looking at her made me so mad! She was MORE THAN just holding us back; she was asking for a suicide job! I unintentionally stabbed the man further in, making him panic at the action.

 

EX1: STOOOOP!!! PLEEEASE!! THEY ALREADY DID WHAT YOU SAID!!! GUYS!!  GUYS, HELP ME!!

 

MJ: SILENCE!!! KAI!! GO GET LIA!! AS FOR THE REST OF YOU, GET OUT OF HERE NOW!!!

 

EX2: WE CAN’T!!! IF WE LET YOU GO EASILY, MASTER WILL KILL US!!

 

MJ: YOU’RE MASTER ISN’T HERE!!! HE WONT FIND OUT!!!

 

EX2: HOW DO YOU KNOW HE ISN’T WATCHING?!?!
 

MJ: I DON’T GIVE A !! JUST LEAVE!!

 

Lay came from behind and touched my left shoulder, giving me a cold stare. He gestured to stop, but I just ignored him. Kai had reached Lia and was now bringing her back in his arms, bridal style. All I wanted was to get rid of all these people, even if it meant taking a life on the way. The Exotic that had talked back at me was now looking at his fellows, trying to think of a way to solve the problem. Meanwhile, I felt as the man in my arms was slowly becoming heavier.

 

EX2: LISTEN!! WE…WE’LL LEAVE!! MASTER WILL PUNISH US SEVERLY FOR SHOWING THIS TYPE OF FEEBLENESS… BUT WE CAN’T LET YOU KILL ONE OF OUR MEN!!! SO PLEASE, DON’T HURT HIM ANYMORE!!

 

I felt the rush inside me disappear. All the anger I had was countered attacked by a simple action the enemies had taken: save their friend even if it cost their own. I felt like a beast just then; thinking only about killing the enemies without thinking of another way to resolve everything. Just like us, they were also afraid of death and seeing their loved ones get hurt. We were all under the eye of the evil Master that conducted this horrible game. I knew what I was doing was wrong; I had to stop before it all got complicated. I was going to tell the men to take their injured fellow, but just then, the man in my hands became far too heavy for me to carry. He fell to the ground on his knees, but eventually ended face first on the ground; he was dead. The man was drained from all his blood, which escaped his body through the ankle gashes I had brought upon him. He was pale, not moving in any manner. I felt my heartbeat fastened, bearing the horrible deed I had just committed. It was hard for me to hear the other men across the field.

 

EX2: NO! YOU BEAST! YOU KILLED HIM!! YOU LIED!!!.... GET THEM!!!!

 

The pride-hurt Exotics made their way towards us, running with weapons at hand. They weren’t in mood to show mercy, and I wasn’t in the position to ask for it either. Trying to prevent murder, I did one myself, causing havoc around. Now, subsequent actions needed to be taken in order for survival.

 

MJ: KAI!! TAKE LIA AWAY FROM HERE!! EVERYONE… JUST FIGHT!!

 

I tighten the grip on the new sword, and plunged myself forward. It was a risk, but I had started this, so no use in staying still and waiting for the blow; I had to confront it one way or the other. The guys went after me; Kai ran the opposite direction with the girl. I saw how the Exotic that had spoken was coming straight towards me, so I took him as my target and initiated the battle. The other Exotics got attacked by the rest of the gang, who were making sure the enemies didn’t corral me up. The heart aching Exotic fought with his soul, not his mind, making it difficult to counter attack his blows. He was furious and hurt, which made each strike the more significant. I defended myself, but he managed to overthrow the sword with his spear. I was vulnerable, and the man was preparing his final attack. Just as he came over me, I took out the dangers, stopping the enemy’s weapon on cue, and proceeding to stab the man on the lower chest; I felt as the sharp edge cut something more than just skin. The man let go of his spear and slowly fell to the ground, gasping for air while grabbing the injury. He rolled around the sand, letting the hood fall from his head. I looked the other way; I didn’t want to remember any faces of the people I tricked; the people who suffered under my evil threats and states of insanity. I turned around and saw the rest of the gang still fighting. I picked up the sword and ran towards Lay, who was battling against two of the Exotics at the same time. Just before I could help him out, one of LanFang’s flying arrow crossed in front of us, hitting one of the extra enemies in the back. I kicked the injured man in the ribs, making him stumble and fall. Meanwhile, Lay had finished up his other enemy. I turned around, and found HaeRi and MinSeok had finished as well. We were all panting, and even though I was looking at the ground, I could feel their cold stares right at me. Amidst all the pain and worry, I was trying to think what we would do next, when a sudden stomping sound came about. I looked up and found everyone looking for the sound. I looked back  towards the direction we had come and saw from afar an army of mounted black horses heading our way at full speed. More Exotics were on their way to attack; grater place brings bigger quantity of enemies. This time, we would be outnumbered by far more than just two enemies each. We had to run!

 

MJ: GUYS! THE HORSES! GET ON THEM!

 

They understood and each of us ran towards one of the scattered horses the now-defeated Exotics had used. I ran first, leading the way for the others to follow. I had no idea of where to go, but any place was better than being attacked again; I just followed the Sun. The Exotics had passed by their members, going directly after us at great speed. I told the others to fasten their riding; bullets would have looked slow next to us all. We kept the race on for what seemed 10 minutes, and so the horses were starting to show exhaustion. A desperate Exotic tried to overcome us by catching up to LanFang, our last rider, but she managed to attack with some arrows, hitting the man and making him and the horse go down. Some other Exotics tripped over the fallen and ended up on the sands as well. At least the number of followers behind us had decreased. I looked to the front again, and by a miracle, found a far away blurry image. I closed my eyes slightly to get a better view. I could see a tall, wide crown tree, and under it where the missing members of our group. I became excited at their discovery, knowing they we’re alright. And not only that, they had found a shelter too.

 

MJ: GUYS! THE OTHERS ARE UP AHEAD!! AND THEY FOUND SHADE!

 

The guys seemed relieved as well with the news. But what took the momentary happiness away was how the horses began to slow down. They had reached their limit, and were about to collapse at any moment. The Exotics’ horses were still at full throttle; at this rate they would catch us. Yet, the distance between us and the tree was shorter each moment. I just prayed we would make it on time. After some minutes of horse-jogging, the animals finally gave in, falling on their knees and refusing to go on. They all stopped at the same time, making us tumble to the ground as well with their sudden swaying. We quickly got on our feet, eyeing the enemies that were behind us just some meters away.

 

MJ: RUN!!!

 

We began to run towards the tree which was now close by. We just ran, never looking back to see how near the Exotics were. Kai saw us coming his way and got up, motivating us to keep going; swaying his arms from side to side in the air. We ran for a couple of minutes, until I thought my lungs would burst; but the horses now on our heels kept us going. Only a meter away, this was the last of the race. Just as the Exotics where about to come down on us with their weapons, we leaped forth and landed on shadowed ground. Still having an adrenaline rush, I stood of quickly taking a good look at the enemies, who had stopped right at the border line between shadow and light. They looked our way; their beautiful bare faces staring with piercing eyes. They put back on their hoods and strolled away slowly. I couldn’t see what else they did because I fell to the ground gasping for air and grabbing my heart area as I felt it would erupt at any moment. The rest of us that had ran for salvation were equally breathing and heaving, all lying to recover. Kai came over and gave me some water; I drank like a wild beast, but remembered I had to leave some for the others as well. I let my head fall back again, and in between the fatigue, I spoke to the others.

 

MJ: …Is everyone….okay?.... Did… anyone… get hurt?

 

I had my eyes tightly closed, trying to ease the pain that was flowing through my body. I heard no responses, of course because they couldn’t talk, so I opened my eyes, staring at the tree leaves above me. I sat up and turned around, noticing how everyone else was eyeing me with distrust.

 

MJ: You guys! I-I’m sorry about what I did back there. I… I just lost my reasoning… I was just so mad…and terrified…

 

Lay was actually the most angered. He swatted his arms fiercely, asking why I had acted in such a manner. I got on my feet and faced them all. What came through my mouth wasn’t exactly the most sensible and educated thing to say…

 

MJ: It was her!! (I pointed at Lia, who was sitting next to Chanyeol, reclining herself against the broad tree trunk). First she falls behind and I go get her! Then we get attacked and she doesn’t fight back! I had to save her AGAIN! Then we road to where you guys were, and I SPECIFICALLY told her to wait on the horse so she could take the injured away! When I sent Chanyeol and the new guy to her, SHE WASN’T THERE!! She was being attacked by an Exotic far away, and ONCE AGAIN she wasn’t doing anything to save herself! SHE JUST WANTS TO DIE!! AND SHE’S DROWNING US WITH HER! I did what I did as a last resort to save her, plus end the battle! It’s not like we hadn’t taken hostages previously! Besides, haven’t you all noticed!? Everything is turning out to be harder and more complicated than before! Exotics are appearing in greater number, and far stronger than the ones we use to fight at the beginning! At first we just fought with our hands or fled; but now we fight with weapons, and we KILL!! WE KILL PEOPLE TO SURVIVE!!....WHAT THE HELL WAS I SUPPOST TO DO!?!?

 

I had already begun to cry. The last words came out as a menacing shriek rather than normal speech. Everyone was now looking at the ground, not knowing what to say; even though I knew I was acting in the least adequate way, the majority of my words held true meaning. Some low sobbing was heard, and I looked towards the direction; it was Lia. I know my words were harsh, but it was all the reality that had happened in the last few hours. Still, I could bear to hate her, ever the least leave her behind again. I wiped the tears from my face and walked to her, kneeling in front of the girl and taking her by the upper arms. I mad her face me, taking the opportunity to eye her completely; I saw her lower left arm still drenching her white shirt. I looked at her face and saw the abundant tears falling of her eye rims. She didn’t look at my eyes; just a spaced out gaze that I never knew where they looked at. I calmed myself before speaking again; I didn’t want to keep hurting her.

 

MJ: Lia… Why do you do these things? Why don’t you care about yourself? We just want to help, but you don’t let us. You… You need to talk, Lia. If not, we’re never going to end this horrible cycle you’re living in. You need to tell us what’s going on with you…

 

The girl just kept crying, wiping her tears, but still no movement. After all we had just gone through, the woman refused to say anything besides her name. But I wasn’t going to let her go on with her ways. This had to stop, or we would continue having serious problems. I tightened my grip around her arms and brought her closer to myself. She was startled, and so were the rest of the members, who took some steps towards me in case they needed to stop my actions.

 

MJ: Why can’t you just say something?! WHY?! Is it that you don’t want to speak with ME!? Do you want to talk with SOMEONE ELSE!? Take your pick!! Chose whoever you want, BUT YOU NEED TO TELL US WHATS GOING ON IN YOUR HEAD!!... Lia!?...LIA!!... SAY SOMETHING!!!

 

I was shaking the woman from front to back, until Kai came and stopped me. He tried to separate me from the girl, but I pushed him off.

 

MJ: THIS IS BETWEEN ME AND HER! For the love of God, Lia!! WHY THE CAN’T YOU ACT NORMAL!?

 

The girl screamed in between her sobs, reaching her hands forward and taking me by my shoulders. I stood frozen at her quick and unexpected actions. She then passed her hands up to my neck, until she reached my face, positioning her gaze upon it. Her right hand was now next to her own face. Suddenly, she began to do movements with one hand only; fingers moving and crossing each other. I looked at her surprised, but I kept a firm stare on her moving hand. She finished her message and let her hand fall beside her. I slowly recognized what it was… It was Korean Sign Language…

 

MJ: …do it again… slower…

 

The girl began to repeat the message; this time I paid extra attention to every form she made, bringing back memories of the time we had learn such a language at school  2 years ago… She had finished… But I just wanted to make sure…

 

MJ: …again…

 

The woman started weeping again while repeating her message for the 3rd time… and I could understand why… She finished her movements, and covered her face to continue her sobbing. I just remained still, thinking about all the pain this girl must have gone through… and all the rejection she must have faced during the games… I felt like trash knowing I didn’t notice before, and seeing how I had treated her… How wrong was I to believe so foul of her… My thoughts were interrupted by a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to find HaeRi looking at me for answers. The others were surrounding me as well, staring me down with curious eyes. I turned around and faced the girl, removing her hands from her beautiful visage. I gently touched her left cheek with my right thumb, wiping away her tears while staring deep into her melancholic green eyes…

 

MJ:… she’s blind…