The Special Treat

The Shadow Games

Tho, ready to play MinJeong-sshi?

 

The unknown man gave out the rules and the starting petition. I still needed to think this through. There were about 20 Exotics in front of us, waiting for me to make a wrong decision so they could mob us. Getting into a fight over a wooden bridge wasn’t a safe thing, especially when we were hundreds of feet above ground. I looked to the sides and saw how the water currents flew towards the air, taking a down turn as it made its way below, creating the magnificent, yet frightening, waterfall. Turning my view to see under the bridge, I found a fog covering the end of the waterfall and the surrounding area; only God knew what was down there. Rocky walls extended from below, up to the bridge and the edge of the falls, making a circular form that left the wooden passage dangling across its middle. A few meters up front, after crossing the bridge, a path could be seen; surrounded with vegetation at its sides. It was evident an alternate route was not available.  I looked at Kai, trying to find some sort of support. He had a hardened expression on; he also knew this stage was dangerous. I turned around and faced the group, getting them all into a tight circle so I could talk in private.

 

MJ: These people sure know how to choose some hair-rising stages. We have to be careful guys; were pretty high above, so any encounter with them could easily throw us over the handlebars. I don’t know who to choose; they all look the same. This is actually terrifying; knowing that one wrong move can bring us to the verge of extinction. Not only is it dangerous, but we’re also outnumbered… What should I do?

 

Everyone looked worried; looking at all directions trying to come up with a solution. It was JongIn who eventually expressed something. He took me by the shoulders and lowered his head so we could on the same eye level; stern look on. He took his right hand and pointed at my chest; specifically at my heart. I looked back at him and find him smiling. Sometimes I think not talking is a virtue; it makes everything the more inspiring. Just that simple gesture was enough to fill me up with courage. I knew what it meant, and I knew what to do. I smiled back and nodded at him. It was time to get moving.

 

MJ: Listen up guys! Whatever happens on the bridge, remember what we’ve always practiced: protect each other. I pray for victory in yet another stage, so let’s keep our heads high, and our senses sharp.

 

They all firmly nodded. Before going on I asked them if they were feeling well, specially Lay. He still seemed a little wary, yet he signaled he could go on. I was just thankful we hadn’t lost him back there; it would have been a devastating blow for us… I wouldn’t have been able to take such pain…

 

Finally, I took the first step forward; Kai right behind me, followed by the rest of the gang. I slowly began to make my way along the wooden bridge, taking my time to inspect every Exotic I passed. Looking from left to right, trying to see any sign that could give away the prisoner’s location; but nothing. I heard the hooded men’s breathing; the every creak my footsteps made when in contact with the wood. I went on, feeling the cool breeze caress my face as the Sun shone brightly upon us. We continued, looking at each one of the covered men; even if I stopped to watch them all, it would still be the same… They were all the same…

 

But something stopped me; a presence in front of me prevented me from going forth. We were in the middle of the bridge now. The wind began to blow strong, tousling my hair in all directions. Some of the men had to take hold of their hoods to prevent them from uncovering their faces. The sky had suddenly gotten dark as if a storm was brewing up. We had to hurry up and end this. I had to choose, but who?  I just closed my eyes, threw my head back, and took in a deep breath. I felt as the cold storm air cleaned me from the inside out, clearing up my mind and soul. It was time to choose. I opened my eyes and turned to my left. I went directly to the Exotic that was positioned in front of me, and who was at the middle of the passage as well. He didn’t move at my approach; still, I made my movements quick to prevent him from doing any sudden attacks. With both hands I took hold of his hood and with force pulled it back…

 

….

 

MJ: LUHAN!!!

 

 

It would have been one of my dreams, but it wasn’t. The man I’ve been searching for was now in front of me. His face was smudge with dirt and cuts; dark circles around his eyes. Opaque blonde hair sticking out in all directions; black roots were showing. His gaze was lost; he was looking at the ground with his dry-lipped mouth half open. He was definitely drugged. He hadn’t responded to my call. The guys behind stood paralyzed; frozen at the peculiar encounter. They stared in admiration and confusion towards the newly discovered friend. As for myself, at that moment I had no idea of what to think. I just acted out of fear.

 

MJ: LUHAN!!!

 

I grabbed him by both upper arms and shook him hard.

 

MJ: LUHAN!!!! YOU’RE ALIVE!!! LUHAN!!! WAKE UP!!

The moment I took a step closer towards the man, everything turned into chaos. The Exotics stormed out of their positions and got ready to battle. Half of them went right toward the guys, some taking out small weapons. I just stood still, watching how my friend was being threatened by a beast. When I moved, the Exotic standing at LuHan’s right got into action, throwing his right arm over LuHan’s neck and pointing at said area with a shimmering knife. The strong wind threw the enemy’s hood back, revealing once again a beautiful and delicate face. His beige hair surrounded his forehead in a straight cut, letting a pair of half-moon eyes peek below. Sleek cheek bones, accompanied by a small, yet plump pair of pink lips. His milky white skin was beyond YiXing’s color. The man spoke.

 

SH: Mathter wath right! You really are killing the game! But it all thto…

 

MJ: LET GO OF LUHAN YOU MURDERER!! HIS MINE!!

 

I cut him off. I had just found LuHan; I wasn’t about to let him go so easily. But there wasn’t anything I could do either. One wrong move and this psycho could hurt LuLu. I had to control my fear, or else I could make some bad decisions. Just then an Exotic attacked me from behind, making me fall face first on the bridge. I was about to get up, but the Exotic had already grabbed me by the arm and was pulling me onto my feet. I had to fight back, and this time without pity. Before the man could attack again I took out a dagger from behind my waist and him, not even bothering to aim. I felt as the weapon cut him, followed by a scream. I knew this wasn’t going to be over so fast, so something else had to be done. The moment the man let go of me I ran towards him and pushed him with all the strength I had, launching him over the bridge’s handlebars and falling down into the unknown abyss. I didn’t have time to waste; I turned around to face the evil host. He was staring at me, bewildered by my sudden actions. I called LuHan repeatedly, trying to make him face me.

 

MJ: LUHAN!!! YOU NEED TO WAKE UP!!!! LUHAN!!! ITS ME!! MINJEONG!! LUHAN!!

 

The ill man swayed from side to side without much strength. Still, I would see his attempt to focus on me. He knew who I was; he knew I was there for him. But he couldn’t respond they way he wanted. Not only was he sedated, but he had a Cyanide pod; I felt it under the coat when I grabbed him by the arms. He was treated like a prisoner after all, so it didn’t caught me off guard.

 

SH: SHUT UP!!! … THTAY AWAY FROM ME!!!... I’LL KILL HIM IF YOU GET NEAR!!!

 

My allies were still fighting off the enemies, when an Exotic gave out an emergency call.

 

EX: THE PRISONER IS ESCAPING! DON’T LET HER GET AWAY!

 

I quickly looked to the sides, finding a hooded figure running away from the bridge and heading towards the path. If that was indeed the prisoner, we had to claim him… or in this case her, for ourselves. I immediately thought of any way possible to get her before she escaped.

 

MJ: MINSEOK! GET THE GIRL!!

 

I looked back at the gang, and found XiuMin throwing his enemy overboard, then running after our target. A group of Exotics went after him. The rest of the guys were all still battling, but at least the amount of enemies had decreased. Lay had finished attacking his opponent and sprang after XiuMin to aid him. I positioned my view once again on the man I had come to safe.  He was now holding onto the hand the enemy had over his neck. He was starting to fight for his freedom.

 

MJ: LET HIM GO!!! WHY DO YOU DO THIS?? WHY DOES HE DESERVE THIS?? LUHAN!!! STAY STRONG!

 

SH: THILENTH!!! THITH ENDTH NOW!!

 

MJ: NOOOOO!!!

 

I screamed from deep inside my throat, causing a horrible shriek to escape me. I feared the worst. This man was going to kill LuHan, and I couldn’t do anything. But I wasn’t about to stand there and see how this devil mangled my friend. I saw how he removed his knife from LuHan so he would reach into his coat; it was my chance. Even though he was still looking straight at me, if I acted quickly enough, I could do something about it. And so I did. I threw myself towards the man, taking a hold of his hand before he brought the dagger back to LuHan’s neck. I kicked the man on the stomach, and yanked my friend out of his grip, just as he bent forward holding his new injury. LuHan just then fainted in my arms; his weight pulling me down to the floor.

 

MJ: LUHAN!!! DON’T GO! I NEED YOU!!! YOU’RE SAFE NOW!!

 

I was gently slapping his cheeks, trying to bring him back to consciousness, but he was far away from reality. I heard the enemy panting and cursing under his breath. I couldn’t give him an opportunity, so I laid LuHan on the wooden floor and ran up to the man. I took him by both arms and tried to pull him over the edge, but he refused; instead he turned around, braking free of my grip, and landing a kick on my left rib. I fell to the ground, holding my side. I was trying to get up, when the man grabbed me by the hair and pulled me up, then throwing me to the other side. I tripped and fell again; this time, face first. I moaned as the pain got to me. As I tried to get on my feet again, I saw how Kai threw the last Exotic over the bridge. He could now go attack SeHun. But the unexpected reached us first.

 

SH: NOBODY MOVE OR BLONDIE DIETH!

 

He was now pulling LuHan up by and arm. He threw LuLu over his right shoulder, and extended a grandee with his left one. He slowly brought it up to his mouth and with his perfectly aligned teeth pulled the trigger. My eyes widened in horror.

 

SH: Thith bomb will ethplode in 15 seconds. Tho make way or we all blow up!! IM NOT BLUFFING!

 

We all stood in our places, letting the man freely move in between us and towards the end of the bridge. I didn’t know what produced more fear in me: dying or loosing LuHan again. I saw how the man took the mutilated LuHan away from me; most likely directly to a cold prison without any cure for his suffering. My eyes watered up as I saw them getting farther away. Soon the man had passed us all, and was now at the very exit of the bridge. He took a glance at XiuMin and Lay who had captured the ally. He went on, but before disappearing into the vegetation-filled path, he threw the grenade high in the air. He went on and got lost from our view. The explosion the bomb made in mid air was enough to throw us all off balance. Kai, who was standing next to me, covered me with his arms before the weapon detonated, trying to protect me from any harm. But my harm was already done. I let LuHan slip in between my fingers with such ease… there could have been so many things I could have done to save him, but my fear of losing him made me shudder at every idea…

 

I took JongIn into me, letting out my cries over him. He simply hugged me tightly. I continued sobbing and panting, trying to console myself with my own guilt. I felt how the rest of the gang rounded up around me. Kai patted my head and tried to separate me from him, but I refused. I wasn’t done with my suffering. Still, he yanked me off of him and stared deep into my water-filled eyes. One look at him and I knew perfectly what he wanted to say. I had to be strong so we could keep moving. Tears don’t solve anything, so I had to stop being so selfish and start showing a little bit more strength. I nodded and turned around to face my friends.

 

MJ: Everyone… you fought well! I’m proud of you all!... We were outnumbered by Exotics, yet you were able to win them over. Throwing them over was the best we could do….. Is someone hurt?

 

They all had their scratches and bruises, but apparently nothing serious. I was glad; with each passing day we become better strategists and fighters… Our hearts are also starting to harden up… But our emotions are still there; we’ve just learned how to control them, even though I still have problems with that…

 

MJ: XiuMin, YiXing! Good job on catching the ally. Now let’s see who we have here… (I looked at the unknown figure in front of me) Mind showing yourself?

 

The prisoner was being held by the two men; one grabbing her by each shoulder. The figure at first didn’t move, but eventually began to move her hands towards the hood. Tumbling it back, our new ally was known. White as chalk, yet with pink flashes; thin pink lips as well. Blue, cat-like eyes and long, blonde wavy hair. We all stood amazed at her unique physique and outstanding beauty.

 

 

MJ: So…What’s your name?