Chapter 5

One Last Wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub4sNFx0jRs

 

The weekend soon arrived. Doojoon and Mi-Young were ready to leave the house to go and collect Hana from the orphanage to take her to the zoo.

Mi-Young's phone had been ringing anonymously all week with the same number who had tried calling her the previous weekend. For the first few days it would only ring once but recently it was becoming a lot more frequent. Two or three times a day the number would call her so she decided not to answer it anymore and just let it ring. She didn't bother telling Doojoon as she knew it would only make him angry.

“Hi Ji Hoon, we’ve come to pick up Hana to take her to the zoo. I phoned the other day and they said it would be alright.”

“Of course. She’s all ready and waiting in her bedroom. I’ll just go and get her. By the way, here is her medicine. I’m sure you already know but she needs to take it at 1pm after she’s eaten. It's very important.” Ji Hoon, one of the orphanage directors turned and left and made his way to Hana’s bedroom.

Outside, waiting in the car, Doojoon heard Mi-Young’s phone begin to ring. He glanced at it sitting on the dashboard and once again saw the ‘unknown number’ as the caller id. *Can it be the same person who called her continuously last weekend?* him not knowing about throughout the whole of the past week also.

He reached forward and pressed the 'accept' button. “Hello?”

As per usual, there was a long silence at the other end of the phone.

“Hello. This is Doojoon.

"Hello? Hello?" Doojoon asked again but still no reply.

A sudden gasp escaped the stranger’s mouth. Doojoon could hear the caller’s heavy, unnerving breaths through the phone. *Who the hell is this person?*

“Why are you calling my girlfriend’s phone?” Doojoon, again, waited for an answer but there was still no reply, “look, if you don’t tell me who the hell-“

Beeeeeep beeeeeep beeeeeep.

The caller had hung up on him. *What the-*

He eyed up her phone in his hand. A sudden knock at the window caused Doojoon to jump. He unlocked the doors once he saw Mi-Young’s beautiful face and Hana’s excited face. Mi-Young opened the car door at the back and took off Hana’s child backpack, placing it on the car floor. She lifted up Hana and buckled her into her car seat, making sure her belt was tightly fastened.

After she was finished, she sat next to Doojoon in the front seat and they headed off to the zoo.

“Are you excited Hana?” Mi-Young asked the little girl, who was sitting on the back seat.

“Yes!” she beamed, “I’ve never been to the zoo before.”

“Never?” Doojoon asked, surprised.

“Nope,” Hana smiled.

Doojoon admired the little girls bravery despite what she’s going through.

After Doojoon turned back to Hana to notice she was in her own world, staring out of the window at the scenery passing. He then turned back to concentrate on the road.

“So that number called your phone again…” he mentioned, annoyed.

Mi-Young looked out of the window and hoped he’d give up, “it’s nothing.”

“Well, they called constantly last weekend also; I mean it’s creepy as hell. Don’t you think?”

As Mi-Young stayed silent, Doojoon knew she wasn’t telling him something.

“What is it?” He stared at her, trying to keep his eyes on the road. “It was only the weekend right?”

“Well it was the week also, but seriously, I’m sure the person is just bored. It will stop soon. It not as if they are leaving creepy voicemails etc. They just hang up.”

“Not today they didn’t.”

“Huh?”

“Yeah. The caller was breathing heavily. It was almost as if they were crying, in shock. What I don’t understand though Mi-Young was why didn’t you tell me? A whole week of these constant calls, that’s a lot.”

“I told you! I didn’t think it was important! It still isn’t important.” she let out a sigh of exasperation. "Just leave it," she mumbled.

“Is that what this relationship is about? Not telling each other everything? Answer me!” Doojoon shouted, angry.

Hana, in the back seat, blubbered as she heard Doojoon shout.

“Great. Look what you’ve done now.” Mi-Young frustratingly said.

“Stop being mean,” cried Hana.

Mi-Young reached behind her and tried to hold Hana’s petite hand. “Sweetie, it’s nothing to cry about, just a misunderstanding.”

“Why do you have to shout like that? You made her cry. You’re an , you know that?” Mi-Young carried on comforting Hana. A part of Doojoon felt guilty but Mi-Young would never listen to him unless he shouted.

Once she stopped crying, Mi-Young turned back around and faced the front.

She glanced towards Doojoon who was gritting his teeth, not taking his eyes off the road. With that, Hana sniffed and played with the teddy bear toy that was sitting on her lap.

“You have to promise me next time they call to tell them if they call again, you’ll call the police. I mean it, Mi-Young. I know you don’t like making a fuss but there are a lot of weird people out there and I couldn’t live if anything happened to you.” His expression hardens.

Mi-Young softened and reached out for his hand on the steering-wheel, “I’m sorry.” Doojoon laced his fingers through hers and brought her hand up to his lips and kissed her fingers lightly but affectionately.

It was lunchtime by the time they arrived at Grand Park zoo. Doojoon parked the car and him and Mi-Young got out of the car. Mi-Young picked up Hana from her car seat and carried her in her arms across the busy car park whilst Doojoon carried Hana’s and Mi-Young's bags.

The three of them stopped at the green park and set up the picnic Mi-Young had prepared that morning. Doojoon pulled out the homemade sandwiches and fruit as Mi-Young put sun cream on Hana’s arms and shoulders. She slipped a light blue cap over Hana’s head also to prevent her from getting burnt.

“Aww, what an adorable family,” a soft voice cooed.

Mi-Young and Doojoon both looked up to see an elderly couple looking at them. Mi-Young automatically stood up and bowed in politeness whilst Doojoon passed Hana a sandwich and a cup of apple juice.

“Thank you,” Mi-Young said, gratefully, not telling them they weren’t actually a family. However, she would love a family this perfect. The couple smiled and walked off. Mi-Young sat back down.

“You know, you could’ve told them that she’s not our daughter,” Doojoon suggested, simply.

Mi-Young ignored him on purpose and made a fuss of Hana, who was happily munching on her sandwich and occasionally sipping at her apple juice.”

“Hana, are you ok sweetie? Ask me if you want anything, alright?” Mi-Young fussed.

“I will,” Hana beamed.

She noticed a sandwich appear in front of her. She looked up to see Doojoon holding out the lunch she had made that morning. “I’m not hungry; I’ll just have a few of these,” Mi-Young reached forward and grabbed three cherry tomatoes.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, Doojoon ate the sandwich himself and watched Mi-Young talk to Hana.

After their lunch, Doojoon goes to buy 3 tickets for the zoo and they make their way through the entrance gates.

“Where would you like to go first Hana sweetie?” asked Mi-Young, interested.

“Umm…” Hana pursed her lips in thought.

“How about we go and see the monkeys?”

“Yes!” Hana let out an excited squeal and skipped along hand-in-hand with Mi-Young.

Doojoon had to admit Hana was cute, but he just couldn’t take his eyes off the stunning, slim-figured woman who happened to be his girlfriend. *Tonight is the night I’m going to do it. I need to make her my wife.* He smiled gratefully and followed the two of them.

At the monkey enclosure, they wandered around watching the different types of monkeys and giggling at their silliness. One monkey came up to the glass and watched Hana intently. She stared back at him. The monkey suddenly squealed and raised his hand, making Mi-Young jump. However, Hana wasn’t fazed by the monkey’s silliness and did the same thing back to him, causing Mi-Young and Doojoon to burst into laughter.

They spent the whole afternoon watching and feeding the animals. Hana was having the best time of her life. Being an orphan, she had never been taken anywhere like the zoo. She was lucky if she even left the orphanage. Every time she saw a different animal, she jumped up and down in excited. It was the best feeling for Mi-Young, seeing this little girl act in such an admirable way.

It was coming to the end of the day and they had seen and visited all of the animals in the zoo. Hana insisted she wanted to play on the climbing frame and slide with the other children. Doojoon and Mi-Young sat on a bench, watching Hana having the time of her life.

“Be careful and don’t go too far Hana!” Mi-Young called. “I think today’s been really good for her. Thank you.” Mi-Young kissed Doojoon's arm before resting her head on it and watched the prescious little girl.

“You’re welcome. She’s a sweet girl. Maybe we can take her to the beach one weekend. I wouldn’t mind,” suggested Doojoon.

“Really?” Mi-Young smiled and lifted her head off of his shoulder.

He nodded in agreement and smiled warmly. She rested her head back on his shoulder and grinned to herself.

"Okay, let's make a move. The traffic will be bad."

-----------------

Comment pleaseee ^^