Chapter 22

One Last Wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXQfTKD7-1w

 

Doojoon was relaxing on the sofa watching a baseball game when he heard the front door clicked open. In walked an exhausted Mi-Young.

Doojoon jumped up and rushed over to her. "Hey. Are you alright? Have you been crying" He asked, concerned for his fiance after noticing her red puffy eyes signaling she had been crying.

Mi-Young was shivering, not just from the cold but from the shock of Jaejoong's news. "I'm fine." She sniffed and hung her coat in her cupboard by the front door. She solemnly walked into the bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed to kick off her heels she had been wearing that day.

Doojoon followed her and sat next to her on the bed. He put his arm around her slim body and pulled her so her head was resting on his shoulder. He placed his hand on her thigh. "You mind telling me what this is all about? Did something happen at the orphanage?"

Mi-Young kept replaying everything Jaejoong had said to her. It was a lot to take in but she knew she had to be there for Jaejoong and keep her promise she made to Jaejoong about not telling anyone.

Suddenly, much to Doojoon's surprise, Mi-Young stood up in front of Doojoon. "Where are your cigarettes?" She demanded.

"E-excuse me?" Doojoon didn't quite understand her sudden request.

"Your cigarettes. Where do you keep them?"

"Can I ask why?" Doojoon asked with a puzzled look.

Mi-Young walked over to the bedside table and rummaged through the draw. Once she had spotted Doojoon's stash, Mi-Young picked up the bin from the side of her dresser and began throwing the packets of cigarettes into the bin, scrunching them up as she went.

Doojoon rolled his eyes as he got up and stood behind her. "Babe, what are you doing?" He took hold of her hand and pulled her back around.

"I'm throwing these rotten things away! I hate you smoking you know that!"

"Why have you never mentioned this before? You know I would quit if you asked me to but I didn't think you cared." Doojoon reasonably replied. He released her hand to allow her to calm down.

"I just don't want you smoking, okay? Is that too much to ask?" She said with a stressful tone.

Doojoon frowned but agreed. "What's brought this on?"

Mi-Young looked at him with a nonchalant expression. "Did you know the lung cancer statistics have gone up again?"

"Err...no, I didn't know."

Mi-Young grabbed the several packs of cigarettes and left the room, after slamming the drawer shut. In the kitchen, she emptied the cigerattes from their packets and threw then in the bin altogether.

She noticed Doojoon sitting on the cream sofa as she walked into the living room. and dropped herself on the sofa next to him. He put an arm round her shoulders and pulled her in close as he carried on replying to emails on his iPad.

He suddenly lifted his head and turned towards Mi-Young. "This seems like a good time to plan the engagement party."

Mi-Young rested her head on his shoulder and let out a groan. "Do we have to? I'm tired."

"Yes, we do have to. We're both too busy otherwise and now is the only time. I've already booked the private wine room at the Plaza Hotel downtown which has a capacity of 70 or so people. Let's make a list of guests." Doojoon began typing on his iPad a list of family, friends and work colleuges they wished to invite to the party. "Are we forgetting anyone?"

"Umm..." Mi-Young thought, "ahh, Ji-Hoon."

Doojoon threw her a 'are you being serious' look.

"What? You've invited Dongwoon and the rest of your office, so why can't I invite my work friends?"

"Because Dongwoon isn't in love with me."

"Don't be stupid, Doojoon. Ji-Hoon isn't in love with me. How many times do I have to tell you?"

"Not enough, obviously."

Mi-Young rolled her eyes and typed Ji-Hoon's name into the iPad, followed by Jaejoong's.

"Jaejoong? Who's that?"

"He's that volunteer at my work. You know, the one I've been wanting you to meet."

"Oh okay." *I use to know a Jaejoong. That didn't turn out so well.*

"Mi-Young, I really think you should invite Eun-Bi to the party, if not that then definitely the wedding."

"I can't do that, Doojoon." Said Mi-Young in an abrupt way.

Doojoon chose his words carefully before replying. He knew this was always a sensitive subject. "But MiMi,...she's your sister-"

"-I suppose you want me to invite Yoochun aswell while we're at it?" She sat up straight and took a big gulp of her red wine. "Or...how about we just have one big happy family reunion?" Mi-Young sarcastically announced with a fake grin.

"Alright, forget I said anything." Doojoon shrugged and continued making food and drink lists.

Mi-Young realised what a she was being. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap. Of course, if this was any other situation I would want my sister there but after what she's done, I don't want her to take away my happiness." Mi-Young faced Doojoon and placed her hand on his chest. "I love you." She placed a light peck on his cheek and the two of them finished planning the party into the night.

------------------

The weekend arrived and Jaejoong was enjoying his days off resting. He felt extremely tired but hadn't been feeling any worse, which was positive in his point of view.

Knock knock knock

A rapid knock on the door disrupted Jaejoong's slumper. He groggily opened his eyes. *Aish. What now?*

 

Dressed in only a plain grey t-shirt and black sweatpants. he swung open the front door and much to his surprise, Mi-Young stood there wearing one of her many trendy outfits, holding a plastic bag.

Jaejoong stuttered before greeting her. "M-Mi-Young, what are you doing here?" He asked with a puzzled look across his face.

MI-Young grinned and held up the plastic bag. "I brought you food!" She chuckled and tried to hide her excitement. Jaejoong could smell the deliciousness coming from the bag. "I heard that if you eat spicy and fresh food that your exhaustion will go away."

Jaejoong was a bit taken back by her hospitality. *Why is she doing this for me? She doesn't owe me anything.*

"Aren't you going to invite me in?" Mi-Young smiled sweetly and shuffled her way past Jaejoong. He chuckled and closed the front door behind her. He showed her through his expensively furnished home and led her to the luxuriously fitted modern kitchen.

 

"Your home is really nice," Mi-Young complimented politely as she placed the plastic bag of food on the kitchen counter.

Opening the fridge, Jaejoong asked Mi-Young "Would you like anything to drink? Juice? Water? Soju?"

"No, thank you. I'm fine."

Instead, he fetched two bowls from the cupboard and passed them to Mi-Young. The two friends stood opposite eachother at the ktichen island. She emptied the tteokbokki into the bowls and handed one to Jaejoong along with two dumplings. "Here you go. Eat this." She motioned, and tucked in to the hot food.

Also taking a mouthful, Jaejoong placed his bowl of the counter. "Is this the only reason why you're here?"

"No, actually. I'm here to give you this." Mi-Young pulled a cream envelope and passes it to Jaejoong.

Jaejoong looked confused but began opening the envelope anyway. On the piece of card inside it read:

You are invited to Mi-Young and Doojoon's engagement party

At the Plaza Hotel

November 25th 2012

Jaejoong gulped as his mouth went dry. "You came here to invite me to a party?" he frowned.

"Not just any party. My engagement party!" Mi-Young excitedly replied. She could see Jaejoong hesitation to come. "Please come. I really want you there. You can finally meet Doojoon and also his sister and her kids."

"I don't know...-"

Mi-Young took one last mouthful of tteokbokki and slipped her coat back on. "I'm not taking no for an answer!" She smiled, quickly left the kitchen and made exit towards the front door. Jaejoong followed her.

As Mi-Young opened the door, an older lady stood on the other side. Mi-Young instantly bowed and apologised, "Mianhamnida. Mianhamnida."

"Mother..." Jaejoong annouced quietly behind Mi-Young as she was still bowing.

Mi-Young quickly stood up straight after hearing Jaejoong's voice and recognised the ahjumma in front of her.

Jaejoong's mother raised her eyebrow at the sight of Jaeoong and Mi-Young together. "I didn't know you two were friendly..."

*Oh . Now she's got the wrong idea of us.* Jaejoong mentally kicked himself.

"Nonono, Mrs Kim. It's not like that." Mi-Young waved her hands frantically.

"Not that I would mind a lovely daughter-in-law like you." His mother cheekily smiled. A crimson blush appeared on Mi-Young's cheeks.

"Okay, eomeoni. I think that's enough. Anyway, Mi-Young's engaged."

"Oh really? To whom?"

Jaejoong glanced at Mi-Young. "To a successful photographer." He answered for Mi-Young.

"Actually, ajumoni, please come to my engagement party this Friday." Mi-Young pulled out another invite from her handbag. "I would love you and Jaejoong to come."

"How kind of you. I would love to."

"Make sure you bring Jaejoong."

"Please stay for some tea. I would love to get to know you better, Mi-Young." Jaejoong's mother insisted.

"Actually, I was just going. I have to pop into the orphanage on my way home. Thank you. Bye." Mi-Young bowed goodbye and quietly exited Jaejoong's house.

Mrs Kim turned to Jaejoong and tutted. "Now, why can't you find a decent lady like that to marry? She's perfect for you."

"How about that tea, mum." Jaejoong changed the subject and wandered off into the kitchen, leaving his mother grinning like crazy person.