Chapter 19

One Last Wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaiB4ju-ISQ

 

The morning finally arrived where Mi-Young would have to face Jaejoong for the first time after she had left New York without telling him. Mi-Young climbed out of the driving seat of her expensive car and locked it. She walked up the steps of the orpahanage dressed in one of her many designer outfits.

Mi-Young inserted her key into the front door of the orphanage door and cliked it open, popping her head round the corner. The place was still silent except from a few scurrying nannies rushing to get the children's food ready for breakfast. "Good morning, Miss Lee," greeted one of the young, caring nannies.

Mi-Young replied, "Good morning, Yoo-jin."

"How was New York?"

Mi-Young nodded, "it was good, thanks." She felt angst in her stomach. A part of her was happy to be back but another part of her was dreading to face Jaejoong. *I hope it won't be too awkward.*

"I must go and get the milk for the babies. See you later, Miss Lee." Yoo-jin hurried off.

Mi-Young proceeded towards the office. Inside, Ji-Hoon was wearing his signature knee-length white doctor's coat. Seeing Mi-Young's face, he sat up straight. "Good morning, Mi-Young. You're here early. It's only 7:15am." He greeted without a smile, like usual, before taking sip of his black coffee which he would have the exact same time every morning.

Ji-Hoon was a man of routine. He would open up the orphanage every morning at 7am sharp. Never was once has he been late or off sick. Some of the staff would say he was a workaholic but Mi-Young could see that he loved his job and that he would do anything for the orphans and if that was having to give up his spare time then he didn't care.

"I wanted to be here when Hana woke up. I haven't seen her in so long."

"She's missed you, you know. So, New York, how was it?" Ji-Hoon sat at his neatly organised desk, filling in paperwork.

"New York was fine." Mi-Young took off her coat and hung it on the rack with a few of the other staffs.

"How are we for staff today, Ji-Hoon?"

"Better than usual actually. Jaejoong is coming in at 9am and we had a new student volunteer start yesterday."

She pulled sat down at down of the desks and looked through some adoption forms that were left on the desk. She read through the documents and frowned. "Ji-Hoon, what are these?" She held up the papers, reading 'Korean welfare agency, adoption Inc.'

He glanced up and with no emotion he answered, "ahh yes, I forgot to say. Those are Minhyuk's adoption papers. While you were away, a family were confirmed for legally adopting Minhyuk. It's great, isn't it?"

Mi-Young was confused. She scanned the desk for the thing that was missing. "Why don't I see Hana's adoption papers here?"

Ji-Hoon sighed and looked up at Mi-Young across the desk. "The family thought it was best if they didn't adopt her, due to her condition."

"What? Minkhyuk's 6 year old her brother! I thought we agreed not to seperate them!" Mi-Young was furious. She always feared this would happen.

"Mi-Young, don't shout at me." Ji-Hoon gave her a stern look. He loved Mi-Young but he was still in charge of her, even if she was working free of charge.

"We had a meeting last month and you said you wouldn't split the up! I'm not letting Minhyuk be adopted without Hana!"

"With all due respect Mi-Young, you're not in the position to make those decisions. It's up to the board of directors and I."

"I love those two more than anything and I won't let this happen!" She bitterly said.

"It's done Mi-Young, so just let it go alright? They'll be coming to pick him up tomorrow morning and taking him back to Florida with them."

"Tomorrow? Why so soon? Does Hana even know?"

"She knows. Yoo-jin told her."

"And?"

"She's fine with it."

"Do you really show no emoption at all? You're a heartless bastard." Mi-Young stormed out of the office door and slammed it behind her. Ji-Hoon sighed and rested his head in his hands. He chuckled once. *What am I going to do with her.*

Mi-Young silently twisted the door knob and crept into Hana's bedroom. She knelt down by the side of her bed and stared at Hana's blissful, angelic face. *I want to do so much for you* She her head twice gently before Hana began to stir from her sleep.

It took a while for Hana to recognise who was sitting beside her but once she realised, her face brightened and Hana threw her arms around Mi-Young's neck.

"Whoa, sweetie. Be gentle."

"Sorry." Hana grinned.

"Morning, beautiful. How's my favourite princess?"

"I missed you."

"I missed you too but I'm here now, okay?"

"You're not going to leave me like Minhyuk is, are you?"

Mi-Young's face dropped. *Ji-Hoon has no idea what she's going through.* "Of course not, sweetie. I'll be here everyday. Even when I'm not here, you can call me whenever you like. I won't mind. Come on, let's get you dressed, get you some breakfast and then it's time for English class in the Green Room at 9:30am."

Mi-Young walked Hana along the corridor to the Green Room where orphans would have daily school classes. "Learn lots. Bye!" Mi-Young waved and headed back to the office. *I guess this is the moment of trurth.* Mi-Young took a deep breath and opened the door expecting to see Jaejoong sitting at his desk but it was empty.

Ji-Hoon was still working on his computer, looking as moody as ever.

"Ji-Hoon, where's Jaejoong?"

"I don't know. He's hasn't arrived yet. I hope he's not much later because I need him to talk me through the meeting from New York."

Mi-Young decided to tidy Hana and Minhyuk's bedrooms whilst their classes went on for another 2 hours.

"Mi-Young, wait." Ji-Hoon called.

Mi-Young halted and turned around on her heels to face Ji-Hoon. "I know you're angry but we'll talk about Minhyuk's adoption later. In the meantime, can you call Jaejoong to see if he'll be long? I need him here."

She bowed her head in agreement and left the office to phone Jaejoong. The phone rang for a long time with no answer. She tried 3 more times before choosing to leave a voicemail and hoped he would pick it up.

'Jaejoong. It's Mi-Young here. Just wondering if you'll be at the orphanage anytime soon. It's a busy day and we really need you here. Ji-Hoon's stressed enough as it is.'

The day went on one hour at a time. There wasn't enough people to help. Everyone at the orphanage were running around like lunatics trying to do a hundred and one things at once. Each time someone would come through the door, she was hoping it would be Jaejoong but he was a no-show.

*We could've really done with Jaejoong today. Where the hell is he?*

It was time for the orphan's bedtime. Mi-Young was assigned two babies, Minhyuk and of course Hana to put to bed. She had bathed the babies and given them a bottle each to finish whilst she went to bring Minhyuk and Hana a glass of warm milk each. back in the babies nursery, she burped them and then placed them in their cots.

"Minhyuk, Hana, I hope you've got your clothes off ready for a bath." Mi-Young called jokingly from outside Hana's bedroom door. She peered inside and didn't see them. Instead she saw the two siblings standing next to the bath ready to be lifted in. A smile appeared on her face automatically at their cuteness.

She washed them as the three of them chatted happily in the bathroom.

"Can we stay up late tonight? Pleaseeee MiMi." Minhyuk begged.

"I'm sorry, sweetie but you've got an early start tomorrow. Your new family are coming to collect you, remember?"

Minhyuk was extremely happy and excited but Mi-Young couldn't help but notice the sadness in Hana's eyes. Suddenly, a familiar voice travelled through the bedroom and into the bathroom. "Mi-Young? You in here?"

Hana listened carefully and squealed with excitement. "Doonie's here?"

A handsome face popped round the door and smiled charmingly. "So, this is where you're all hiding." There was pink paper stuck on his cheeks and forehead. Mi-Young gave him a quizzical look.

Suddenly Doojoon pulled funny faces, resulting in Minhyuk and Hana cracking up with laughter, Mi-Young also. *He's so amazing with them.* She thought, wishing they could adopt them both.

Mi-Young lifted the two of them our of the bath and dried them before slipping on their pyjamas. Hana jumped into Doojoon's arms and threw her arms around his neck.

Doojoon tucked Hana in to bed, whilst Mi-Young was with Minhyuk.

"Now, I want you to promise me you'll be well behaved for your new family."

"I will, MiMi," Minhyuk grinned a sleepy smile.

"We will miss you a lot," Mi-Young could feel tears coming to her eyes. "I love you. Goodnight." She kissed Minhyuk on the forehead and left the room.

Along the hallway she met Doojoon, who was just leaving Hana's bedroom.

"How is she?" Mi-Young asked.

"Tired. She fell asleep almost instantly. Come on, let's go home," Doojoon took hold on Mi-young delicate hand.