Chapter 16

One Last Wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MczSBIENDos&feature=channel&list=UL

 

The hot steamy bath soon relaxed Mi-Young. She climbed out of the bath and warpped a towel around her clean, wet body. She contemplated whether to have a massage or not but thought she could really do with getting rid of the tension in her neck. She called the conciege and schedule a massage to come to her room in an hour.

Whilst she waited for the massuese, she decided to phone her fiancee as it would only be lunchtime back in South Korea.

"Mi-Young! How are you? How's the big apple?" Doojoon's voice greeted cheerfully.

*Oh god. It's so good to hear his voice.*

"Hey. Everything's great thanks and going really well." she replied sorrowfully. Just hearing Doojoon's voice made her miss him a lot.

"Are you okay? You don't sound too happy."

"No, I'm fine, just exhausted. I miss you."

"I miss you too baby. But you'll be home in 2 days so enjoy your time away from Seoul." reassured Doojoon. He always managed to cheer Mi-Young up, regardless.

"Well baby, I have to go to a meeting with Dongwoon now but ring me before you fly on Thursday so I know your flight will be on time."

"I will. Love you."

"You too, baby. Be safe and enjoy your time tomorrow. Sweet dreams now."

"Bye." Mi-Young put the phone down and smiled. As she had finished slipping on a black strap top and shorts, someone knocked at the door. *That must be the masseuse.*

After an hour long massage complete with hot stones and oils, she felt relaxed and sleepy. "The massage in total is $265 for the hour. Could you please sign here for confirmation?" the masseuse asked politely.

*$265 for a massage? .*

She reluctantly signed her name on the piece of paper and said goodbye to the masseuse.

The next morning, Jaejoong greeted Mi-Young in the lobby of the hotel ready for their day of sightseeing and shopping. He had a piece of paper in his hand and was dressed in a pair of jeans, plain white tee and sunglasses.

"I have something to tell you." Mi-Young blurted out.

He frowned, "what is it...?"

"I had a massage last night when I got back to my room and she told me it cost $265." Mi-Young bit her lip nervously. "I'm sorry, I didn't realise it would be so much but when you get your bill, I'll give you the $265."

"Are you kidding me?" he snarled.

*. He's angry.*

"I'm sorry, I had no idea it would cost that much!" She looked down at her Jimmy Choo black boots anxiously.

"Mi-Young, look at me," Jaejoong softly demanded and placed his fingers under her chin to lift her gaze up towards his face. "I don't care how much it cost. You enjoyed it, right?"

She nodded slowly.

"Then, what's the problem?"

"You're not angry...?"

"It's nothing. I told you to treat yourself to one." He waved his hand as he dismissed Mi-Young's words. "Let's get going."

He politely stood back for Mi-Young as the doorman opened the hotel door for them.

As they reached the sidewalk, Mi-Young began walking down the street until she heard Jaejoong call her name. She turned back and was shocked to see Jaejoong holding open a black mercedes car door open for her.

A perplexed Mi-Young walked slowly towards him and the car. "What's this?"

"I've hired a car for the day. This is Robert, our driver." Jaejoong introduced Mi-Young to a middle-aged man dressed in a black suit and sunglasses. "He's going to take us to the ferry port first and then to where it says on my plan which I did last night."

*Woah. A driver?* "Nice to meet you," she said politely to Robert. She then turned towards Jaejoong once they were sitting alongside one another in the car. "We could've just walked or taken a cab," she snapped, "you know, these aren't expenses we can claim on the orphanage's account."

Jaejoong rolled his eyes, "can you just not accept this quietly or are you going to make a fuss like every other time I've done something?"

*He's right. I guess it's just awkward me excepting things like this.* "But-"

"Mi-Young. I've paid for this myself, so. just. enjoy. it."

Mi-Young looked out of the window at the passing by skyscrapers and yellow taxis. Everything looked 'so-american.' As the car pulled up to the port, Jaejoong glanced at Mi-Young who was silently looking out the window. The car stopped and the driver opened Mi-Young's door for her.

"Thank you."

"I'll be waiting here for you for when you return," the chauffer bowed.

Jaejoong was already walking towards the queue for the ferry. "This is the queue?" Mi-Young asked, shocked by the 300 yard line of people waiting to board the boat.

"Good thing I got us fast track tickets then?" Jaejoong held up two tickets. He grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the much shorter line with only a few other people waiting. Jaejoong climbed aboard the cruise boat and sat outside, overlooking the Hudson River where sailing boats were toing and froing.

*He really thinks of everything.* she thought, touched by his gesture.

The ferry set off and the fresh air instantly made Mi-Young feel rejuvinated. She squeaked with excitement.

Jaejoong quietly sat back and watched her take selcas with the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island in the background. She was struggling taking one of the photos and as she was about to give up, Jaejoogn appeared at her side and held out his hand.

She stared at it and then at his handsome face with a puzzled look. "You want me to hold your hand?" she scoffed.

Jaejoong rolled his eyes and sighed. "No, I'm offering to take a picture of you. I can't take it anymore watching you struggle, clumsily."

*Oh.*

She dropped her camera into his hand and stood by the railings, posing. Her beauty caught his attention. He paused for a moment as he admired her through the camera lens. Just as Jaejoong was about to push his finger down on the camera button an older woman interrupted him.

"Sorry to interrupt you dear but would you like me to take a picture of you both?" she asked.

"No, it's fine. We're just colleagues." Jaejoong answered, quickly.

*Just colleagues?* A dissappointed Mi-Young stayed silent with a hurt look on her face. Jaejoong glanced at her and noticed her sad expression. As the lady was about to walk off, Jaejoong quickly called, "actually that would be excellent if you could take a picture."

He stood along side Mi-Young, putting his arm around her. He looked at Mi-Young with a bright smile and nudged her arm, "hey, smile, would you? I don't want to have to take it more than once."

She wiped the puzzled look off her face and smiled timidly at the camera. Truth is, Mi-Young was overwhelmed by Jaejoong's good looks and kind gestures that she was slowly beginning to wonder why he was single.

The boat soon arrived back at the port where their driver was still waiting just like he said he would.

"How was your boat tour Miss Lee?" Robert asked, professionally.

"Very nice, thank you Robert." Mi-Young answered and slipped into the back seat of the Mercedes.

"Where to now, Mr Kim?" asked Robert from the drivers seat to Jaejoong who was sitting next to Mi-Young, emailing on his phone making no eye contact.

"The Rockefeller Center." Jaejoong answered without looking up from his phone.

"-please," Mi-Young mumbled, correcting Jaejoong's rudeness.

He chuckled, upon hearing her speak and put his phone away in his trousers pocket.

"Do you always have to act so perfect all the time, Mi-Young?"

"I'm not acting perfect, Mr Kim, I'm just acting polite, there's a difference," she replied, smugly. She leaned over, closer to his face, "and you really need to learn some manners."

"I wouldn't say you're acting very polite after you charged $265 to my account, for the massage which you had last night."

Mi-Young grinned at Jaejoong slapped his arm playfully, "touche. Point well mad, Mr Kim."

"Why do you still continue to call me Mr Kim, when I've asked you countless times to call me Jaejoong?"

Mi-Young blinked at his accusation, "b-b-because you said so yourself we're 'just colleagues'."

"I didn't mean it like that, Mi-Young. I was just trying to tell that lady on the boat that we're not a couple. That's all."

"What about being friends?"

"You ask a lot of questions, Mi-Young."

"I could say the same about you, Jaejoong." Mi-Young replied with a smile, putting emphasis on his name.

He smiled in response to her saying his name and as they arrived at the Rockefeller Center, Jaejoong rushed over to Mi-Young's door and opened it for her.

As she stepped out of the car, he whispered close into her ear, "see, I can be polite."

"What are we doing here?" Mi-Young asked, as she stepped out the car onto the sidewalk.

"Ice-skating," Jaejoong replied with a mischievous grin.