Chapter 28

One Last Wish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwwRmkDY-M

Doojoon didn't sleep well that night. Jaejoong was the only thing on his mind. He lay awake with the soft sheets draped over his muscular body. Mi-Young was sleeping quietly beside him in her oversized baggy tee.

He glanced over to his alarm clock and saw 5:45am. *Might aswell get up.* He groaned and pushed himself out of bed. He threw on his sweatpants and a hoodie. Before Mi-Young had woken up, Doojoon left the house to go for a run and then to the gallery. Part of him didn't believe that Jaejoong has cancer, almost as if he were lying and there was part of him still hoping it wasn't true.

​Around 9am,M i-Young made her way to the ophanage. Today was the day Hana was being officially adopted.

​"So, you have everything? You packed all your favourite toys?" Mi-Young bent down and asked Hana sweetly.

​Hana gave a sad nod.

​"Hey, come on now. I want to see that bright smile of your's." pleaded Mi-Young whilst giving her a tickle. Hana couldn't resist and laugh contagiously. Mi-Young brought Hana in for hug. "Now you be a good girl and don't be too bossy to your brother." Mi-Young and Ji-Hoon waved Hana and her new family off. Ji-Hoon held Mi-Young knowing she was upset about Hana leaving.

​"I know it's bitter-sweet but we have to understand Hana can get all the help she needs with this family, they have money for her heart treatment and she will be with a family that love her everyday." Ji-Hoon reassured.

​"I know. It's just difficult to see." Mi-Young and Ji-Hoon went back inside the orphanage and carried on with the rest of their day working as usual. Mi-Young couldn't stop thinking of jaejoong.  She had to admit she was angry that he lied to her but she couldn't be angry at him forever. She picked up her phone from her desk and decided to message him.

​Just wanted to see how you were doing. Call me if you need anything. Mi x

​As soon as she put down her phone it began to ring. ​She looked at the caller ID.

"Hi! How are you feeling?"

​"A lot better. My mum is really helping out. Maybe a bit too much...she's not even letting me leave the house."

​Mi-Young smiled softly and replied, "Because yesterday you passed out, Jaejoong."

"I want to come back to the orphanage."

​"Not until you have enough energy. If you here and can't do anything then you're no good to anybody."

"Mi-Young, about Doojoon..."

"I asked him to meet with you, so he could at least hear you out, you owe that to him."

​There was a short silence at the end of the phone.

​"Thank you," a grateful voice said.

​"I did this for Doojoon. He told me what you did in the past. Now I must go and take the kids to their classes. I'll be round tomorrow."

​It was after work, Doojoon was locking up at the gallery when his phone rang. "Hello?"

"Doojoon, you're heading there now right?"

​"Yes, Mi-Young. I don't know what time I'll be back but I'll be in touch ok?" Doojoon said.

​"Okay. Good luck and I love you."

​"I love you, too."

​Doojoon rang Jaejoong's doorbell twice before standing back to wait. He was nervous, shaking almost. He hasn't seen Jaejoong in 6 years or so. He waited and waited. *How long do I wait..*

​Just as Doojoon was about the turn around and leave, the heavy wooden front door opened and there stood a man. A man who Doojoon had been terrified of meeting again ever since that day. All of a sudden, all of Doojoon's angry thoughts and bad feelings of Jaejoong vanished. Jaejoong looked just the same as he did that day when he walked into the car garage, just skinnier and paler.

​None of them could speak. Jaejoong just notioned with his head for Doojoon to come in. The two of them wandered into the living room with Jaejoong leading. "Can I get you anything?" Jaejoong asked nerviously.

​"No, I'm good." Doojoon linked his hands together and sat on the sofa.

​Jaejoong nodded and sat across from him on his coffee table with a bewildered look on his face. "What made you change your mind about seeing me?"

​Doojoon started to look pissed. "How about I ask the questions alright. Why are you back in Seoul?"

​"Umm...well I, I really like Seoul, great river."

​"Enough of the bull!"

​"Ok, fine. I found out.."

"About the cancer." Doojoon finished his sentence.

​"Mi-Young told you." Jaejoong showed a sign of defeat.

​"I have no idea why she'd want to hang around with a piece of like you but god help me, she cares. She seems to care about you."

​"I started at the orphanage when I found out about the cancer."

​"So it's true."

​"It's true," said Jaejoong.

Jaejoong's eyes fixed on Doojoon's. "I'm sorry."

Doojoon didn't reply which made things even more awkward.

"I'm sorry ok? I'm sorry for what happened in Busan, I'm sorry for getting close to Mi-Young. I'm just sorry for everything. If I could take it all back I would. This isn't what I wanted."

"Then what do you want? Huh? Because you had years to say this. I waited for years for one day you'd come back to me and we could just forget everything."

"That day...I had no idea the whole robbery was a set-up. I came late and when I saw the police were already there, I hid. I was a coward I know. I thought about you every single day, Doojoon."

"The cold nights I spent alone in that cell...the things I saw."

Jaejoong slowly and carefully reached for Doojoon hand. He was afraid Doojoon would pull away but he didn't. Doojoon held his hand and held it tightly in his own. The touch of him reminded him why he loved Doojoon so much.

"How long did they say you have...?"

"A few weeks." Jaejoong replied honestly not wanting to hide anything else from anyone.

"You can't leave us. I need you, Jae." Doojoon weeped.

Jaejoong sadly smiled, "You have Mi-Young now. If there's one thing I want in life, it's to see you happy and Mi-Young makes you happy."