Chapter 17

One Last Wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK11NfHy_NI

 

Jaejoong passed Mi-Young her boots and slipped on his own shoes. The queue for the ice-skating was extremely long now and dozens of people were lining up, waiting to have fun on the ice rink.

"Thank you. I had so much fun!"

The two of them made their way out of the Rockefeller Center and onto the sidewalk.

"I still can't believe you've never been ice-skating before," said Jaejoong, giving her a puzzled look as they walked along the icey, cold sidewalk through the crowds of people.

"I never had time. When my parents were alive, they'd always make me study or practice the piano for exams. It was non-stop." Mi-Young stood up and fixed her coat, pulling it tighter around her slim body.

Jaejoong glanced at her. "You cold?"

Mi-Young shyly nodded her head, "a little."

Jaejoong swung his arm around Mi-Young's body and pulled her in close, "let's go and get a hot Starbucks and then I'll leave you in Bergdorf Goodman for the rest of the afternoon to indulge in shopping." He led Mi-Young into the nearest Starbucks where he ordered and paid for 2 lattes. Before Mi-Young had a chance to take out $10, Jaejoong had already swiftly paid for the drinks.

"Why don't you let me treat you for just once?" Mi-Young questioned.

"Why should you?"

"Why should you keeping paying for everything all the time?"

Jaejoong passed her a latte and opened the door for her. "Because I'm a gentleman." He winked in a teasing way and walked off. Mi-Young rolled her eyes and smiled, chasing after Jaejoong as he wandered down the street in a suave manner.

"This is where I'm going to leave you, and in 4 hours Robert will come and pick you up and drop you back at the hotel. I've booked dinner for 8pm tonight, don't be late. You know I hate tardiness."

*Aish. So bossy.* "You're not coming shopping with me?" Mi-Young pouted.

"I don't care much for women's fashion, sorry. Here, take this," Jaejoong held out his hand and Mi-Young looked down. She gasped slightly when she saw what he was offering her. "...what's this?"

"My credit card. I want you to buy yourself something nice to wear for dinner this evening."

Mi-Young folded her arms and pressed her lips together. "I'm not taking that," she refused.

"Why not?" He replied, impatient.

"Because I'm not."

"Please just take it." he urged his hand forward towards Mi-Young.

"I have clothes-"

"I owe you."

"For what exactly?" she narrowed her eyes.

"-for giving me the job at the orphanage."

Mi-Young opened slightly to reply but nothing came out. *Is this guy for real?*

Unexpectedly, Jaejoong clenched his head in pain and let out a groan.

Mi-Young turned to him and panicked. "Jae, what's wrong?" When he didn't answer, she grew more worried. "What is it? Are you alright?"

Soon enough, Jaejoong released his hands from his head and stood up straight. Mi-Young could instantly notice how pale he looked. His usual white porcelain skin had turned to a white as pale as death.

"Seriously, you look awful. What's wrong?" Mi-Young carefully reached out and touched his face. She pulled back as soon as she touched him. "My god, you feel like ice. You're freezing!"

"I'm fine," he replied, exasperated, dismissing her worry.

"Is it your head again?"

"Huh?"

"Your head. Is it the same type of headache you had at the orphanage that time?"

*I don't need her questioning me about this right now.* Jaejoong rolled his eyes and ignored the pain in his head.

Jaejoong lifted up her hand and placed the credit card into her palm. Before she could protest, Jaejoong walked away quickly and called back without looking her way. "Go wild. See you in the lobby. 7:30pm. Don't be late."

*I'm definitely getting in way to deep with this girl. This isn't what was meant to happen. I only got to know her for one reason.* Jaejoong worried.

As Mi-Young entered the expensive department store, she aimlessly wandered up the escalator and onto the women's fashion floor. There were guards in uniform stationed near the premium collection of designers. *They look bored, but standing there hours on end, I'd be bored too.*

Rails were full of high-end brands with the names of Gucci, Prada and Versace written on the hangers. Mi-Young brushed her hand against the silk fabric of the garments and wandered onto the next section of fashion. She flicked from garment to garment and picked out a few pieces to try on.

As she was in the perfectly furnished dressing room, her phone began to ring. "Hello?" Mi-Young answered distantly whilst struggling putting on a dress.

"Hey baby. How's it going?"

Mi-Young's eyes widened in delight and suddenly lost her balance in the changing room, falling over.

"...Is everything okay...?"

"Doojoon! Yes, everything's fine, I'm just shopping. Wait, isn't it like 5 o'clock in the morning there right now?"

"I have to go to Daegu today to meet a potential buyer so I thought I'd give you a call. You sound happier today. I'm glad."

"Yeah. I slept well last night," Mi-Young replied and looked at herself in the mirror as the dress hugged her slim body. *This is the dress I want.* She smiled to herself

"Alright, I must go, my taxi's here to take me to the train station but speak to you tomorrow. Love you, baby," Doojoon admitted.

"Love you too, bye." Mi-Young smiled through the phone and hung up, dropping her phone into her handbag. She wasn't homesick and the thought of going home tomorrow saddened Mi-Young but on the other hand she had missed Doojoon terribly.

*Right, this is the dress I'll get.*

"Thank you, madame. Goodbye and enjoy the rest of your day," the cashier cooed as Mi-Young walked away with her large shopping bags.

Mi-Young stepped out of the shop where she met with Robert. He was waiting patiently outside his parked car and in one swift movement, he opened the car door for her and placed her shopping bags in the boot of the car. "Back to the hotel, Miss Lee?" Robert asserted.

"Yes, please!"

Back in her hotel room, Mi-Young threw her coat and handbag onto the cream chais-longue. She emptied the contents of her shoppings bags onto the bed and picked up the dress she was going to wear to dinner and hung it on the back of the door. She looked down at her watch. *Right, I have an hour until dinner.*

After a hot and relaxing bath, Mi-Young styled her hair and touched up her minimalistic amount of make-up. She changed into the chic black dress.

She switched off the lights of her suite and made her way down to the lobby. Jaejoong was patiently waiting in the hotel lobby, sitting on one of the sofas. His eyes scanned the lobby in search for Mi-Young. She wasn't late, it was just Jaejoong hated having to wait for anyone. He suddenly spotted an elegant figure appear from the elevator. Out stepped Mi-Young, dressed to perfection, like usual, with her hair in loose curls.. She strode purposely across the marble lobby floor towards Jaejoong.

His look became apparent as he couldn't take his off of her. He stood up nervously, as if on a first date, to greet her. He, himself, looked a million dollars. He was dressed in a casual grey blazer, white t-shirt and dark jeans. "Before you say anything, I'm not late." Mi-Young defended herself.

"I wasn't going to say anything," Jaejoong answered holding his hands up in a surrending manner with a teenage boy smile. He kissed her on the cheek, "you look amazing by the way," he said, making Mi-Young feel shy.

"So, where are we heading?" Mi-Young asked while Jaejoong hailed for a cab.

"A place use to go with my dad all the time when he was alive," he opened the door for her and the both of them climbed in. Twenty minutes later they arrived outside one of the most famous Japanese restaurants in New York 'Masa'.

Jaejoong held the small of Mi-Young's back and guided her into the buzzing restaurant. "You like sushi, right?"

"Love it." Mi-Young replied, scanning the menu.

"We'll have whatever you recommend," Jaejoong told the waiter and passed him the menu, not taking his eyes off Mi-Young.

"Is salmon and tuna sashimi and our popular selection of sushi okay for you, sir?"

"Yes. Also get us one of your finest bottles of sake," he damanded.

There were certain mannerisms on Jaejoong which reminded her of Yoochun. Perhaps it was just his rudeness. Every once in a while she would miss Yoochun and the few happy times they shared together but nothing made her more happy than being with Doojoon. *Oh stop thinking about Doojoon and just enjoy yourself.* Mi-Young mentally slapped herself.

She looked around the restaurant and saw wealthy families laughing and eating together. "Wow. This place must be expensive."

Jaejoong looked around the restaurant himself and shrugged as if he were use to it. "You know what they say, if there's no prices on the menu then it must be expensive," joked Jaejoong.

Mi-Young bit her lip uncomfortably. "Can I ask you something?"

"Go for it."

"H-how can you afford things like this?" Mi-Young waved her hand in the direction of the room.

"I have money, Mi-Young."

"But how? You're always working at the orphanage." Mi-Young and Doojoon both had enough money between them to live a comfortable life without having to ever worry about money but she could tell she was no way as near as wealthy as this man in front of her dressed head to toe in designer.

"Do you have another job?"

"Like what? When would I have the time to work? Like you said, I'm always at the orphanage."

"I dunno, like working nights for example."

"You think I'm a drug dealer?" Jaejoong accused lightly with a slight smile.

"No! I wasn't thinking that...but...are you?"

"Of course not!" Jaejoong told the truth, innocently. All of a sudden, sadness came across Jaejoong, "I've seen enough drugs in my last 2 years not to want to do them, trust me."

Mi-Young frowned at his confusing confession. She wanted to ask him 'why' but decided against it and just raised her sake glass instead. "I want to thank you for the last couple of months. You've done an excellent job with the orphanage. So, thank you," expressed Mi-Young, genuinely.

Jaejoong followed and they 'clinked' glasses.

"By the way, I have a bone to pick with you." Jaejoong complained, playfully.

Mi-Young's eyes widened, "-ex-excuse me?"

"I phoned my bank and they said no-one had spent anything on the credit card I gave you."

Mi-Young gave him a sheepishly smile, "guilty."

"But that dress you're wearing you brought today, right?"

"Right. I paid for it with my own money."

"I specifically told you to use my card."

"I know but I didn't want to. Besides, then I'd be in debt to you." Mi-Young poked her tongue out and smiled.

Three enjoyable hours later Mi-Young was laughing hysterically at one of Jaejoong's jokes. "I think you've had a bit too much to drink, Miss Lee." After paying, Jaejoong pulled up Mi-Young from her chair  and helped her out of the restaurant as she staggered in her stilettos.

"Do I really have to carry you?" Jaejoong moaned, trying to hold her up as they struggled out of the hotel elevator and along the corridor leading to their suites. "I wish you could hold your alcohol."

Mi-Young gave him an apologetic smile and hiccuped. Jaejoong rolled his eyes and pushed her forehead with his index finger.

"Yah! It was your fault for making me drink so much!" She whined back at him.

Jaejoong himself had drunk too much also and thought they needed to get as much sleep as they could before their flight back to Seoul tomorrow. Jaejoong opened her door for her and led her inside. "You okay from here?"

Jaejoong watched Mi-Young as she attempted to slip off her heels. He focused on her legs as his eyes travelled up her body and stopped at *I can't take this anymore.* He walked over and pushed her so she was sitting on the edge of the bed.

He knelt down in front of her and began sliding off her high heels. Mi-Young started to feel dizzy and hot but just thought it was the alcohol taking affect. She steadied herself with her hand on the bed. Much to her surprise, a rough hand began travelling up  her ankle and towards her thigh, sending a sensation through her entire body.