Chapter 26

One Last Wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjvj2_0-uMI

 

The following morning, Mi-Young woke up from the sound of the wardrobe door opening. She slowly opened her eyes in a daze and saw Doojoon dressed in his boxers, picking out the clothes he was going to wear for the day.

She shifted amongst the bed covers, letting Doojoon know she was stirring from her sleep. He looked around automatically and stared at her. She gazed up at him from the bed but no words were exchanged.

Mi-Young took the courage to speak first. "Ar-are you mad at me?" she stuttered.

Doojoon exhaled deeply, and walked over to sit on the edge of the bed, where Mi-Young was laying. "I'm not mad at you. I'm just mad with this whole situation. With Jaejoong."

"You seem to have a real problem with Jae. Why? What happened between you two? How do you even know him?" Mi-Young couldn't stop the endless questions coming out of . She was curious. Infactuated and obsessed with the question of why did Jaejoong keep it a secret of how he knew Doojoon. The past time she had confided in Jaejoong about Doojoon, he knew who she was talking about. Doojoon wasn't a total stranger to him afterall.

"You don't need to know." Doojoon stood back up and slipped a dark green t-shirt over his head along with a pair of beige chinos. Mi-Young scrambled out of bed and forced Doojoon to look her in the eyes.

"Why are you keeping this such a secret! And why do you seem to be taking it out on me?"

"for god's sake, Mi-Young, it's not all about you all the time!!" Doojoon shouted with rage. "if there's a problem, you try to be in the middle of it every single time. But the truth is some people don't want to talk about their problems!"

Mi-Young stood their utterly speechless. Doojoon didn't know why he was so angry all if a sudden. Of course, he didn't mean the things he said to Mi-Young, he loved her, but she needed to know when to stop and not push it.

"and don't think I've forgotten about what happened at the party last night. I'm not stupid, I saw you leaving with some man. Now I know that man was Jaejoong."

"I had no idea that you knew him! Anyway, Jaejoong's my friend and I'm not going to stop seeing him just because you have a problem with him." Mi-Young made clear, standing up to him.

Doojoon narrowed his eyes. "We'll talk when I'm back later this evening." Doojoon grabbed his jacket.

"Why? Where are you going?"

"To the gallery."

"But, it's a sunday..."

"I know. Dongwoon called me in. He needs help with his portfolio for college." Doojoon shrugged and checked his watch. "I need to go."

There was no 'I love you', no 'goodbye.' Mi-Young thought about how distant they had become overnight. It was rare for her to see Doojoon so reserved. He was always the first one to say 'good morning.'

After Doojoon had left, Mi-Young stared out of the window. Thinking, *How have Doojoon and I become so distant? Nowadays, he just seems to be annoyed with me about everything. Is this Jaejoong thing really effecting him? Even overnight? It, then again, he was the one who told me to leave our engagement party and Jaejoong was there to pick up the pieces with Eun-Bi.*

She thought how things were getting out of hand and later decided to meet Doojoon after he had finished work. She would surprise him with sushi in the park, a tradition of theirs. She tidied the house, got dressed and left the house a few hours later.

She got the subway to the stop nearest Doojoon's gallery and headed towards his work. Upon walking up to the front of the gallery she spotted Doojoon leaving with a man in a smart suit and a briefcase. The guy looked serious-business. Almost like secret service. Mi-Young quickly ducked behind a car and pondered whether she should follow them or not. *Wait. I'm not a spy. Whatever he's doing I'm sure it's nothing serious.* She straightened herself out after Doojoon and the man got into a taxi and left.

​She made her way to the orphanage wanting to see how Jaejoong was feeling. Mi-Young plopped down by the desk and sighed heavily.

​"Afternoon, sunshine!" A chirpy voice called from across the office. Ji-Hoon peered out from behind his computer with a bright smile.

​"Oh. Hi. I didn't realised anyone was in here."

​"I have good news for you Mi-young." Ji-Hoon walked over towards Mi-Young's desk. "It's regarding Hana. She has a potential family intersted in adopting her and that family were the same family who adopted her brother. Mi-Young, they want to adopt Hana aswell! Isn't that great?"

​"Really? Oh my god...That's amazing!" Mi-Young threw her arms around Ji-Hoon with happiness. She felt she could cry from how ecstatic she was. Mi-Young pulled Ji-Hoon back, "Thank you, Ji-Hoon. I mean it. Thank you for making this happen."

​"I know one day you wanted to adopt Hana but the two of them being together is the best thing for them and I know you wanted that."

​"I understand. Just as long as the little ones are happy that's all that matters." Mi-Young admitted. She took a sip of coffee and glanced over at Jaejoong's desk. "He's not here."

​"No, Jaejoong took a personal day today. He didn't sound so good on the phone. Perhaps after work you could take some porridge to his to see if he's okay."

​"I'm sure he's fine." Mi-Young thought.

​Ji-Hoon gave her a stern look, "Mi-Young-"

​"Fine, Okay I'll take it to him later," The rest of the day Mi-Young and Ji-Hoon were busy with medical check-ups for all the orphans. More and more of them were being adopted recently. Towards the end of the day Mi-Young went to visit Hana's room. She was playing with her dollshouse. "Hey sweetie."

​Hana jumped up and the two of them threw their arms around eachother. "How are you feeling?"

​Hana replied, " I'm great! Ji-Hoon bought me this!" Hana held up a little doll.

​"That's wonderful. Now you can put her in your dollshouse." The two of them ended up playing for the next hour until it was time for Hana's dinner. "I'll see you tomorrow, Hana. Make sure to eat all of your vegetables. I love you." Mi-Young kissed Hana on the head and left the room.

​Her car pulled up outside Jaejoong's house. "She knocked on the door and peered through the glass. No answer. *Maybe he's not even here.* She tried again. When there was no answer the second time she tried to open the door. *Great!* It was unlocked. She pushed the heavy door open and walked into the hallway.

​"Hello? Jaejoong? Are you here?" Mi-Young called out. She was starting to worry. "Jaejoong?" She shouted.

​She suddenly heard a crash upstairs. *. Is that a burglar?* She placed the porridge on the table and picked up the umbrella that was in the hallway incase she needed to use it in defense. She slowly crept up the stairs and then walked towards Jaejoong's bedroom. As she carefully pushed open his door, she froze.

​Jaejoong was passed out lying on the floor and broken glass strewn across the carpet.. *Crap.* Mi-Young rushed over the Jaejoong's side. "Jaejoong, can you hear me?" She gently shook him put her head against his chest to see if he was still breathing. She hurringly searched for her phone in her handbag and began to dial for an ambulance. "No need," a sick voice groaned.

​"Jajeoong! You're awake!"

​"Hey..." he gave a tired smile. He was happy to see her.

​"Let me call an ambulance."

​"No, please don't." Jaejoong begged.

​"But...Jae..."

​"Mi-Young. Please."

​Mi-Young couldn't refuse his request.

​Some time later, Jaejoong was resting in bed. Mi-Young heated up the porridge and cleaned up the broken glass that was on the floor. She sat down on the side of the bed and fed Jaejoong who didn't have any strength to feed himself.

​"Ok, now get some rest. I'll be downstairs if you need anything."

His hand reached out and grabbed Mi-Young's hand and squeezed it tightly. "I'm scared." A tear escaped his eye.

​This broke Mi-Young's heart to hear those words. Jaejoong always acted so tough and strong. But this was the first time she had seen him vulnerable and scared. Despite his lies and his feelings for her, she cared about him. Alot.

​"Jaejoong, you need to tell your mum."

​Jaejoong gave a small nod in agreement and knew she needed to know. "I'll be here with you. Don't worry, we will fight this together." Mi-Young grabbed his hand back and held it in between her hands.

​It was now 9pm, there was a knock at the door. Mi-Young knew it was Jaejoong's mother.

​"Good evening, Mrs Kim." Mi-Young gave Mrs Kim a warm hug.

​"What's going on? It sounded urgent..."

​"He's in his room..." Mi-Young notioned upstairs.

​Mi-Young waited downstairs patiently wanting to give them some privacy. An hour later Mrs Kim came down the stairs. Mi-Young could tell instantly from her red eyes that she had been crying. Mrs Kim hugged Mi-Young tightly. "Thank you for being there for my boy. I will stay here tonight, Mi-Young. Thank you for all your help. He's sleeping now."

​"Okay, I won't disturb him. I should get going, my boyfriend will wonder where I am."

​"I understand. Take care, Mi-Young and see you soon." The two of them waved goodbye and parted ways.

​Mi-Young entered her her apartment and hung up her jacket after a long and emotional day.

​"Where have you been?" A questioning voice asked.

​"Oh hi," Mi-Young made her way over to Doojoon who was enojying a beer. He stood up as she reached him.

​"I was at the orphanage and then I had to visit Jaejoong."

​Doojoon frowned with disagreement. "You had to?"

​"Yes. Ji-Hoon asked me to go."

​"And I'm sure you just jumped at the chance to go and visit him alone in his house..." Doojoon sarcastically commented.

​--------------------------------

​I thought I'd start writing this again. :)