Chapter 23

One Last Wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhRIsJR1kUg

 

Mi-Young had finished work for the day and walked into the apartment, drained of energy from the orphanage that day. She was talking on her cellphone as she kicked off her heels.

"I still think we should change the adoption criteria." She paused for a moment as she noticed Doojoon lounging on the sofa with just his sweatpants and towel round his neck with a bare chest. "No, I told you to email me the letter before sending it to the head office. Jeez, how many times do I have to tell you."

Doojoon warily sat up and watched Mi-young's firgure disappear into the bedroom. *She sounds happy...* he sarcastically thought. After a long 10 minutes and now sign of Mi-Young, Doojoon stood up and wandered into their bedroom.

He quietly knocked twice on the door and opened it. Mi-Young was standing by the window on the phone.

"Do I really have to do everything myself? .... Fine, I'll speak to him tomorrow...what? No, I said not to disturb him tonight. It's late! I'll be expecting that email by tonight...So? I don't care if it's a Friday evening. I want that email!"

Doojoon gently massaged Mi-Young's tense shoulder's from behind and kissed her neck slightly. He could feel her body instantly relax.

"I have to go. I'll call you tomorrow. Bye." She dropped her phone onto the chair beside her and turned around to see Doojoon's tired but handsome face.

"Sorry about that. Everybody at work seems to be incompetent. You know, ever since we've employed this one new nanny, everything has gone down hill. She can't get anything right."

"That's a bit harsh, MiMi. She's new. It takes everyone a while to get the grip of things when they first start a new job."

Mi-Young rolled her eyes and pulled off her dress and slipped into a more comfortable outfit. "Well then, maybe she should go somewhere where she can 'get the grip of things' easier." Mi-Young paced into the kitchen and poured herself a large glass of red wine.

"Since when did you start acting like such a ?" Doojoon chuckled, sitting down at the breakfast bar across from Mi-Young.

She narrowed her eyes and Doojoon instantly knew he had said something wrong.

"Excuse me? You think I'm a ?"

"I'm not saying you are a but you're acting like one right now," explained Doojoon, exasperated.

In the distance, Doojoon could hear Mi-Young's phone ring from the bedroom.

"I need to answer that-"

"No. We're talking. You've only ust got in. We haven't spent the evening together in ages. We've got things to sort out for the party tomorrow evening."

Mi-Young gave Doojoon an imminent look and walked off to answer her phone.

--------------

"Jaejoong. Hi."

"Everything okay? You sound stressed."

"No, I'm fine. Just...nothing to worry about. How can I help?"

"I know it's late, I'm sorry but I need a favor."

"What is it?"

"I was wondering if you could get me some more medcine for my headaches. They've been getting worse."

"You want me to get it now?"

"If you could...that would be great..." Jaejoong sounded in pain and Mi-Young thought if she could ease his pain in any way, she would.

"Sure. I'll be over in 20 minutes."

"Thanks. You're amazing. Let yourself in."

Mi-Young thought about his kind words and smiled to herself. "No problem. See you soon."

She grabbed her handbag and coat and exited the bedroom. Doojoon swiftly came into the hallway and saw Mi-Young's attire.

"I have to go out. Sorry."

"Mi-Young, we need to sort out the final things for the party."

"I know, but I really need to do this one thing."

"What's so important that you need to do this one thing at 10:45pm on a Friday night?"

Jaejoong's voice echoed in Mi-Young head. "You have to promise me you won't tell anyone. I mean it, Mi-Young. You're the only one that knows and I expect you to keep this promise."

She felt guilty for hiding this from Doojoon but it wasn't her secret to tell. "It-it's just work. The orphanage," she lied and threw on her coat.

Doojoon called out but Mi-Young had already slammed the front door shut after leaving. "Mi-Young! Just talk to me for one second!"

--------------

Shortly after Mi-Young left Doojoon in irritation, she arrived at Jaejoong's front door. After her gentle knock on the door, she let herself in as Jaejoong had instructed.

"Jaejoong?" Mi-Young's angelic voice called through the house.

"In here!" Jaejoong was laying on his bed on his iPad.

Mi-Young trasped through his house and upstairs into his bedroom which was flawlessly decorated like the downstairs.

"There you are." Mi-Young smiled sweetly and approached his bed. She placed a carrier bag next to his bed and sat on the edge of the soft mattress.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, noticing his extremely pale skin and heavy dark rings under his eyes.

"Better now that you're here," he gave a sidewards smile. Mi-Young blushed and decided to empty the contents of the bag.

"I brought you the medicine. Here, the doctor said take 2 tablets every 4 hours and if they get worse to go straight to the hospital."

She passed him the packet and slightly grazed his hand with her soft touch. "Have you eaten yet?"

"I'll just grab something on the way home."

"Come. I'll make you something." Jaejoong pushed himself off his bed in pain. He held out his hand and pulled Mi-Young towards the kitchen and placed her at the dining table.

"What do you fancy? I can do an omelette, cheonggukjang, sujebi? I'll cook whatever you want."

Mi-Young nervously giggled and raised an eyebrow. "I should really get going."

"Not until you've been fed. I can't let a beautiful girl go home starving."

Mi-Young pursed her lips and thought for a moment. *I'm sure Doojoon won't mind if I come back a little later. He's alreayd mad at me so another 30 minutes won't hurt.* "How about galbi-tang? You have ribs, right?"

Mi-Young sat back against her chair and watched him intently. He really could do anything. He was wearing a pink frilly apron which amused Mi-Young. "Why the hell are you wearing that?"

"This?" he pointed to his apron. "Because I don't wish to get dirty clothes."

"You know, they do sell neautrel colours. Why pink?"

Jaejoong chuckled to himself. "My mother brought it for me when I first brought this place. She thought when I marry a nice girl some day, we can share this apron." Jaejoong carried on stirring the broth. "I guess that won't be happening now."

A silence entered the air and Mi-Young didn't know how to reply to his last comment. "Jae, you will marry someone and you will have beautiful children. I'm not letting this bloody disease win that easily." Mi-Young seriously replied.

After dinner, Mi-Young and Jaejoong ended up sitting next to eachother curled up on the sofa watching something rubbish on tv which wasn't worth watching. The two of them laughed at it like old schoolfriends.

"Why do they make such crap television nowadays..." Mi-Young took a sip of her wine and thought about it.

"and you think you could make anything any better?..." Jaejoong answered with a twinkle in his eyes, amused.

Mi-Young sat up straight and raised her head in a smug way. "As a matter of fact I do."

"Oh really?" Jaejoong threw his head back laughing and begun tickling Mi-Young. "oh really? really?" teasing her. Mi-Young was lying on the sofa with Jaejoong hovering above her as he tickled her religiously.

"Stop! Please stop!" She pleaded in hysterics and laughter. "I can't breath!" Jaejoong's laughter filled the room also as he had never been so amused by someone tickle reaction before.

The laughter was broken by Mi-Young's phone ringing. She forcefully pushed Jaejoong off of her, still in hysterics, and answered the phone. "Hello?" she answered out of breath.

"Mi-Young?"

At the sound of his voice, Mi-young sat up straight in seriousness. "Doojoon..."

"It's past midnight. When are you coming home?"

"Oh sorry. Yeah, I'll be home shortly."

"Okay. I'm going to bed. I'll leave the light on for you. Love you."

"Okay, bye." She hung up and bite her lip. Turning to Jaejoong, Mi-Young sighed and stood up. "I need to go now."

"Well, thank you for the medicine."

"Remember only 2 tablets every 4 hours. Thanks for dinner and see you at our party tomorrow! Don't forget." Mi-Young hugged Jaejoong softly and left the house.

Mi-Young arrived home and as Doojoon promised he left the hallway light on for her. *He always thinks of me..* She tried her best to stay quiet and not wake her fiance. The bedroom lights were off, so she crept in and changed into her pyjamas consisting of a silk top and shorts. She slipped into bed and felt the crisp white clean sheets against her skin. She could hear Doojoon breathing softly next to her as she snuggled into the back of his back for warmth.

Her mind went back to thinking about Jaejoong. *Why is life so unfair that he had to get cancer? If only there was more I could do. Every moment I spend with him, I just hope it will keep him strong and happy. Seeing someone smile who doesn't have a reason to is such a beautiful feeling. How I wish he would tell his mum.*