Chapter 4

One Last Wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ej8onQTkU

 

"That's great because I have something important I want to talk to you about," Mi-Young excitedly announced.

"Let me say mine fir-"

"Actually I think mine is probably a little more exciting," she beamed, "no offence."

*. How the hell am I going to do this if she keeps interrupting me like this?*

"So, Ji Hoon, one of the directors at the orphanage, asked if I wanted to permantely look after Hana for the moment?"

"Hana...?"

"You know Hana. The 4 year old with the heart disease. I think it would really do her a lot of good if she lived in a normal family enviroment. For the time-being anyway." Mi-Young explained, completely forgetting the reason Doojoon wanted to bring her there in the first place.

"Mi-Young, we're not really in the position to start thinking about kids yet."

"I'm not talking about having kids, I'm talking about looking after one until her next surgery."

Doojoon thought deeply for a moment before replying. "Look, Mi-Young," he reached across the table and held her hand, "I just don't think we can really commit to something this big right now. I mean, that's a such a big step suddenly having to look after this baby 24/7."

"She's not a baby, she's 4 and she's dying. Why are you so against the idea?"

"Because I just feel that you'd have no time to yourself. We're busy enough as it is without having to look after a baby."

"I told you she's not a baby!" Mi-Young corrected once again, "do you think I wouldn't make a good mother?"

A long pause from Doojoon soon indictated to Mi-Young his answer. Her sadness grew and her face fell.

"What. No Mi-Young! That's not what I'm saying. You'd be perfect."

"Is that the real reason why you seem so against it? Because you think I won't be any good?"

"That's not it but we're just not ready. We're not even married yet!" he carried on explaining.

*I want to marry you but maybe you're not ready.* she thought.

"Let's get the bill," she cheerlessly said, dismissing the conversation they were having.

Doojoon called for the bill, paid and then the both of them left the restaurant, a lot more distant than when they arrived together.

Mi-Young entered their apartment first, not holding back the door for Doojoon. He rolled his eyes as the door nearly hit him.

"Mi-Young," Doojoon called and grabbed her shoulder from behind and spun her around carefully. He suddenly noticed the delicate tears in her eyes.

"MiMi, I never said that you wouldn't be a good mother. I think you'd make a perfect mother but you have to agree that we're both not ready to have a child. Let alone one with a severe illness like Hana's," Doojoon sincerely said.

Mi-Young knew her boyfriend was right.

"I just want to do so much for her but I can't. What can I do?" she choked out.

Doojoon gently pulled her into his chest where she sobbed. He her hair in a calming way. He pulled away and held her shoulders whilst bringing himself down to her level. "How about we take Hana to the zoo this weekend? What ya say?" Doojoon asked with a reassuring smile.

Mi-Young nodded, "thank you."

After changing into her pyjamas, Mi-Young and Doojoon snuggled up in bed together watching an old black and white movie. Doojoon had his arms craddled around Mi-Young as he kissed her forehead.

"Actually MiMi, the question I was going to ask you earlier-"

Ring ring ring

All of a sudden Mi-Young's cell phone rang loudly causing both of them to jump. *Who's calling me at this time? It's 11:30pm.*

She looked at the caller ID but didn't recognise the number.

"Who is it?" Doojoon asked, curious.

As soon as she answered and put the phone to her ear, the caller hung up.

"Hello? Hello...?"

"Who is it?"

"I have no idea, they just hung up. Weird." Mi-Young frowned.

"Nevermind, let's just go to sleep." Doojoon said knowing that the moment was lost of him about to propose.