Chapter 20

One Last Wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf3S7kf-iIw

 

Each day passed by and Jaejoong still hadn't shown up at the orphanage for over 2 weeks. Mi-Young didn't know what to think. She had no idea if she should be worried about him or if he had just decided to stop volunteering.

Wednesday lunchtime, Ji-Hoon called Mi-young into his office.

"Mi-Young, I need you to call Jaejoong. I still haven't seen the notes from your meeting in New York and without those we can't receive the money from Google. We can't have him not working here anymore. We need him. He's the best volunteer we've had." Ji-Hoon stated.

*I can't believe he just said that. What about me?*

"Call him. Now." He demanded.

Mi-Young pulled out her phone from her handbag and phoned Jaejoong. Again, there was no answer. "He's not picking up."

"Then try it again."

Mi-Young did as she was told but there was still no answer from Jaejoong's end. "The same."

"Go to his house after you finish today and tell him if he doesn't turn up in the next 2 days, he can forget coming back altogether. It's already been more than 2 weeks since I've seen and he's taking the piss now. If he's out, we need to start advertising for more volunteers."

Ji-Hoon's harsh words shocked Mi-Young. She was as angry as he was but what if there was a reason for Jaejoong's adsence.

"but I don't have his address..." She was trying every excuse to avoid seeing him but at the same time she wanted to know he was alright.

"It's here," Ji-Hoon handed her a crumbled piece of paper with an address scribbled on it in blue pen. "Is this really necessary?"

"Do you realise how understaffed we are at the moment?"

"Then, you should hire more staff. Ji-Hoon, we can't rely on one useless volunteer forever," Mi-Young sincerely answered.

"Well, you hired him." Ji-Hoon sighed and looked up at Mi-Young. "You don't want us to have to shut this orphanage down, do you Mi-Young?"

"That's a bit drastic, don't you think?"

"I had my doubts about Jaejoong in the beginning but I took your word for it and agreed to hire him. It turns out, he seems like a good guy. We shouldn't have to lose him. I mean it, Mi-Young. Don't let me down."

Mi-Young drove down a narrow street situated in Hamman-Dong. She looked at the address on the paper whilst trying to drive and look at the house numbers also. She pulled up outside a large looking house. Expensive cars were parked down the sides of the streets and lavished balconies were visable.

She got out of her car and shut the car door behind her. She scanned the neighbourhood. *Well, if this where Jaejoong lives, he must  be better off than I thought.*

The address on the paper 'No.23' matched the number engraved on the metal plaque. She stuffed the paper back into her handbag and knocked three times on the steel door.

She waited for an answer but there was no sign of anyone home. No lights on, no car in the driveway. She phoned his phone once more, once again leaving another voicemail message. "It's me again. I don't know what you're playing at by not showing up at the orphanage but I can tell you, if you don't show your face by Friday, don't bother showing up ever again. If it was up to me, I wouldn't have given you this many chances but Ji-Hoon thinks you're worth it, so don't let him down."

She hung up the phone and sped off home in her car.

Back at their apartment whilst eating dinner, Doojoon couldn't ignore the silence coming from Mi-Young. She was moving her food around on her plate with her fork. She didn't really know what was bothering her except the fact that she wondered where Jaejoong had been today. *Usually he calls if he's going to have the day off, but he hasn't been at the orphanage for nearly 3 weeks now.*

"Is everything alright?" Doojoon asked, causing Mi-Young to snap out of her daze. "Is it the pasta?"

"What? No. The pasta is delicious, thank you."

"What's on your mind?" Doojoon reached for her hand. "You've barely said a word to me all week."

"It's nothing."

"Mi-Young," Doojoon gave her a stern look. "Tell me. I'm your fiance, whatever it is, you can tell me."

Mi-Young placed her fork on her plate and looked up at Doojoon. She took a deep breath and opened . "I'm just worried. There's this guy who volunteers at work and he hasn't shown up for a while."

"Is there any reason why he wouldn't turn up to work?" Doojoon looked at Mi-Young, whose eyes were fixated on her plate again. She thought about his question but chose to ignore one of the reasons in her head why he may not have shown up at the orphanage.

She looked back at Doojoon and sat up straight. "Not that I can think of."

"It may not sound like a big deal but I'm always at the other end of Ji-Hoon's mood swings and I can't take it anymore. He thinks that because I am the one who hired this guy that I should pay for his absence."

"That's ridiculous!" Doojoon exclaimed.

"Try telling Ji-Hoon that."

"That guy has always been a moody bastard."

Mi-Young smirked and began clearing their plates. "Doojoon, don't say that. He's under a lot of stress."

"We all are but you don't see us taking it out on other people."

Mi-Young began washing the dishes at the sink. Doojoon stood behind her and wrapped his strong arms around her frame. He kissed her neck tenderly which would always make Mi-Young's legs turn to jelly.

"You smell so good."

"Yah!" Mi-Young pouted and whined, "I'm trying to wash up."

"Trying to." Doojoon held onto her shoulders and pulled her round so she faced him. Her bright eyes looked up at him. "I think we should have our engagement party next week."

"But we've been engaged for at least 3 weeks already, is there really a point?"

"I thought it would be nice. We've both been so busy with work and now things have quietened down a little, we have the time."

Mi-Young thought about it and soon gave in. "I suppose we could have a few friends meet us at The Plaza Hotel. Maybe we Naeun and Minseok could come aswell." Mi-Young was surprisingly herself with how excited she sounded.

"That's the spirit. Perhaps you could invite that volunteer of yours. I'd love to meet him." Doojoon kissed her forehead and walked away.

*Hmm. I have always wanted those two to meet.*

"So, you're going to leave me to wash up alone huh?" Mi-Young called loudly so Doojoon could hear her in the other room.

"You know we have a dishwasher, right?" a reply echoed back.

She chuckled and continued the washing up.