Chapter 10

One Last Wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6Rm4oOM2Y

 

Mi-Young kissed Doojoon goodbye, who dropped her off at the orphanage, and walked into the building. She wore jeans and a plain stripped top.

Jaejoong was patiently sitting in the foyer, waiting for his new co-worker. As she walked in Jaejoong's face lit up and she politely acknowledged him and carried on walking. She brightly greeted the nannies and other workers who were employed or volunteered there. It was Jaejoong's first proper day at the orphanage. He was wearing a white linen shirt and smart jeans.

He followed Mi-Young into the finance office where a middle-aged woman worked at her computer.

"Mr Kim, this is Miss Kwon, she's our finance director here. If you have any problems, speak to her or me." Mi-Young introduced Jaejoong to the lady sitting at the desk, working. "This will be your desk. Your Mac is there and the photocopier is in that room." Mi-Young pointed to a small room coming off of the office. "These are your documents to look at and, like I said, any questions I'll be with Hana this morning."

Jaejoong pursed his lips together and nodded, "thanks Mi-Young," he murmurs and sits down at his new desk, opposite Miss Kwon.

Lunchtime arrived and Kim Jaejoong left the office in search for Mi-Young. He found her teaching Hana and another girl some English.

"Okay, so 1...2...3...4. Now you repeat," Mi-Young taught in English, whilst counting on her fingers. Jaejoong stood at the door and watched this kind, caring woman.

Mi-Young glanced at the door to see Jaejoong leaning against the frame. She smiled slightly, "I won't be 2 seconds. Let me just finish this."

"1....3....2....4," Hana tried.

Mi-Young giggled and patted the top of her head, "not quite correct but we'll try again tomorrow. Now, you two, go and have some lunch and I'll see you this afternoon."

The two little girls giggled and ran off towards the dining room. Mi-Young stood up and tidied away some of the books and games. Jaejoong walked in and began helping her.

"Thanks," she muttered, not wanting to show too much gratitude towards him. After all, she still thought he wasn't the right guy for the job but seeing how sweet his mother was, she couldn't decline his volunteery offer. *How can this young guy afford to do volunteer work?*

"You wanna grab some lunch?" Jaejoong asked, casually.

"I'm not that hungry," Mi-Young replied and with that her stomach made a loud rumble.

Jaejoong raised his eyebrow, something that was becoming his signature expression. "Not hungry ey?"

Mi-Young awkwardly smiled, "okay then. Lunch."

Jaejoong opened the cafe door for Mi-Young and she walked in with him following closely behind her with his hand on her lower back, guiding her towards a spare table. Jaejoong looked relaxed whereas Mi-Young looked nervous having lunch with a man other than her husband.

"What would you like to drink and eat?" he asked whilst looking at the menu.

Mi-Young couldn't take her eyes off this new aquintance of hers. "I', not sure..."

The waitress came over and took their order.

"We'll have two ice coffees and two goat's cheese salads." Jaejoong ordered and passed both of the menus to the waitress, who left to prepare their order.

"I could've ordered myself ya know. I am quite capable. What if I don't like goat's cheese?" Mi-Young stubbornly asked.

"Do you like it?" he arched his eyebrow, waiting for an answer with a gaze.

"Yes-"

"Then what's the problem? Hmm?"

*That's not the point.* Mi-Young scoffed and stayed silent. *Goodness. He's so annoying and up himself.*

"So, are you originally from here?"

"Excuse me?" Mi-Young asked, surprised by his sudden question.

"Are you originally from Seoul?"

"No. My family and I lived in Osan when I was younger."

"How far away is that?"

"What's with all the questions?" 

Jaejoong smiled with charm and replied, "I'm just trying to get to know you Mi-Young. So where do you parents live now?"

Mi-Young's expression saddened. She looked up at Jaejoong. "They're dead, Mr Kim."

His face fell. *. Why did I have to say that?* "I'm sorry. I didn't know..."

Mi-Young swallowed and recomposed herself. "It's fine. I wouldn't have expected you to know."

An awkward silence filled the space between them, which was suddenly broken by the waitress with their orders in her hands.

"Enjoy your meal," the waitress said, not taking her eyes off Jaejoong, who was gazing at Mi-Young.

The waitress blushed and scurried off, back to work.

Mi-Young let out a small chuckle, "I think she likes you."

"Who?" Jaejoong asked, confused.

Mi-Young nodded towards the waitress.

He glanced over at the waitress and returned the chuckle. "You know, you look pretty when you smile. You should do it more often."

After no reply from Mi-Young, Jaejoong decided to change the subject. "So, you have any siblings?"

Mi-Young thought of Eun-Bi and how she hadn't spoken to her for 3 years after she had an affair with her husband, now ex-husband. "I have an older sister."

Jaejoong raised his eyebrow in a surprised way. "A sister? Judging from your tone of voice, you don't talk to her a lot?"

"You could say that."

He frowns at her.

"You're not giving away much, are you?" he says dryly, leaning back in his chair. He watches Mi-Young carefully, trying to work out what she's thinking.

"Neither are you, Mr Kim."

Suddenly, something catches Jaejoong's attention. The expensive, unique diamond sparkled as the light hit it, coming in through the window of the cafe.

"Nice ring." Jaejoong complimented with a smirk. *That must've cost a bomb.*

Mi-Young looked down at her left ring finger to see the tiffany&co engagement ring she had received from Doojoon.

She smiled brightly at the thought of her fiancee. "Thanks."

"How about we get back? You finished with your salad?" Jaejoong asked.

Mi-Young nodded in reply with a smile.

"That'll be 18,000 please."

Jaejoong handed the waitress a 20,000 note and walked away.

Mi-Young caught up behind him as he left the cafe. "Would it kill you to say thank you to people?"

"Did you say thank you to me for buying lunch? I don't think so."

"Thank you," Mi-Young sweetly said and bit her lip.