Chapter 3

One Last Wish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eU_2NHzblk

 

"Good morning!" Mi-Young called as she entered the orphanage dressed in casual jeans and a jumper.

"MiMi's here!" the orphans shouted as they came running towards her.

Mi-Young volunteered at the local orphanage as much as she could. The orphanage was located in the city and homed approx. 20 orphans. Being wealthy, Mi-Young frequently brought toys and games for the kids and played with them regulary. As far as orphanages go, this one was quite privilledged thanks to Mi-Young.

She spent the whole of the day talking to the children and looking after the babies, feeding them, changing them etc. Anyone who knew Mi-Young considered her a blessing, an angel.

Towards the end of the day, Mi-Young went to visit one of the orphans she cherished the most. This specific girl adored Mi-Young more than the others, if that was even possible. None of the other orphans wished to talk to this girl but Mi-Young couldn't get enough of her company.

Mi-Young entered the little girl's bedroom, quietly incase she was having a nap. However, the 4 year old girl was sitting on her chair waiting for her favourite daily visitor. Upon hearing the door click open the girl, named Hana, turned her head and as soon as they saw eachother, both of their faces lit up with happiness. Hana sat there for a moment with a wide grin.

It was early evening and Mi-Young chose to bath and put Hana to bed that day. What was so agonizing for Mi-Young about this child was that she was born with a rare heart disease. The doctors said she would only live to 5 year old. She had continuously had surgery after surgery ever since she had been brought to the orphanage.

Mi-Young found out that Hana's parents couldn't afford her treatment so they just left her outside the orphanage one evening and did a runner. *How could a human being not want one of these beautiful children. They have so much to give.*

However, she was still one of the happiest, kindest children Mi-Young had ever met, despite her rare condition.

Mi-Young walked in and placed her handbag on the floor

"Hey Sweetie, I've come to give you a bath." Mi-Young picked up Hana like a mother would and carried her towards the private en-suite bathroom. She ran the bath before helping Hana out of her clothes.

She made sure the bath wasn't too hot before carefully placing Hana in it and sat beside the bath. "So, what have you been doing today, princess?"

Hana looked up at her trying to remember what she had done. "Umm..."

"Have you forgotten already?" Mi-Young pinched Hana's cheeks softly and giggled causing Hana to giggle too.

After she was squeaky clean, Mi-Young picked up Hana and dressed her in her white cotton nightie.

Mi-Young knew how much Hana hated the next bit. She took out two tablets from the pot in the cabinet and past them and a glass of water to Hana. 

"Make sure you swallow them both."

"Do I have to? I don't like taking my medicine." Hana frowned with sadness, which broke Mi-Young's heart. She had come to love Hana as much as she did Min-Seok and Naeun.

"I Know sweetie but these tablets make you better. I heard if you take them you will dream of fairies and princesses."

"Really?" Hana's face brightened up.

"Of course." Mi-Young seriously replied with kindness to her voice.

"Okay!" Hana popped the two tablets into and swallowed hard. "That's a good girl."

They both walked back into the bedroom. Suddenly, Hana spotted something and her memory came back to her. "I remember what I did today! I painted you this picture!" Hana handed Mi-Young a painted picture with three people on it. A man, a woman and a little girl. Above the picture it said 'Doojoon, Mi-Young and me.'

"Wow. It's beautiful! I love it! Can I put it on my wall at home?" Mi-Young asked.

"Yes!" Hana replied with a bright grin. "Look I painted you, Doon and me. Our family."

Mi-Young chuckled at Hana's mistake but didn't bother correcting her.

*Family? Bless her. I wouldn't want anything more than to have her as my daughter.*

"It's wonderful. Thank you."

Hana jumped into bed as Mi-Young walked over to her bookcase. "Would you like me to read you a story?"

"Yay!" Hana clapped her hands together in excitement.

"I'll take that as a 'yes' then," Mi-Young laughed alone with Hana's silliness. The two of them snuggled down in bed next to one another and Mi-Young began reading Hana a story.

-----------------------

"The end." Mi-Young look down and beside her Hana was fast alseep. *Bless her. She must've been very tired.*

Mi-Young placed the book back in the bookcase and walked back over to the bed. She tucked Hana in tightly with the duvet and blanket and pushed back her hair from her face. She bent down and kissed her forehead with affection. *My brave, strong fighter.*

She switched off the light, picked up her handbag and left the bedroom, closing the door behind her, making as little noise as possible.

Suddenly, one of the orphanage directors appeared out of no-where, making Mi-Young jump. "Hey Mi-Young."

"Oh, Ji Hoon. How are you?"

"I'm good. Doojoon's here."

Upon hearing those words, an instant smile appeared on Mi-Young's face.

She hurried to the entrance of the orphanage to find Doojoon sitting on one of the visitor sofas, waiting for his girlfriend. He looked up and saw her bouncing cheerfully towards him. "Oppa!"

He stood up and she ran into his arms for a warm hug. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to surprise you." He replied as his hands wound around Mi-Young's waist.

"Let me just grab my jacket and then we can go home-"

"Actually..." Doojoon interrupted, "I want to take you out for dinner."

"Why? What's the occassion?" Mi-Young questioned.

"Erm..." Suddenly a wave of nervousness overcame Doojoon. "N-no r-r-reason," he stuttered, making Mi-Young curious as to why he had suddenly become so flustered.

----------------------

Doojoon and Mi-Young entered the hotel where the restaurant was situated. The restaurant was more up-scale than the usual ones they would choose to go to, which confused Mi-Young even more as to what Doojoon was up to.

"Oppa, I can't go here. Not dressed like this." She looked down at her jumper and old trainers.

"That's why I brought you this to change into." He held up a bag and handed it to Mi-Young. "Go change and I'll wait here for you," he said, dropping himself into one of the chairs located in the hotel lobby.

Mi-Young rushed to the bathroom and changed into the dress Doojoon had brought her. She stepped out the toilet cubicle and looked in the mirror, straightening out her dress.

"You look stunning as usual, MiMi," Doojoon kissed the side of the head and led her into the extravagent restaurant.

The waiter sat them at a candle-lit table in the corner and took their order.

Doojoon held up his full champagne glass, waiting for Mi-Young to follow. They clinked their glasses together and enjoyed eachother's company.

"Doojoon, this is all very nice but why here? I mean, it's so expensive."

Doojoon became agitated once again and soon the palms of his hands began to sweat.

He took a deep breath, "actually I brought you here because there's something I want to ask you."